2006 info on Moving to the DR

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
When I started this thread I never thought that I?d be adding a post a year later. My experience moving has been one of the most exuberating experiences of my life.

In the past year I purchased a home, remodeled the home, bought a Jeep, fixed up the Jeep, became an instant employer, learned Dominican Spanish, watched a riot from by balcony, witnessed a woman being sold to a gross guy, started a clean up project, modified the clean up project, started a business, made amazing friends and rubbed a few people the wrong way. Oh, and I am told over and over again that I have an agenda here on DR1. Still don?t know what my agenda is, but one day it?ll come to me.

Since moving I?ve noticed that the expat community seems to be divided in to three groups;

Group one are the emulators, these expats move here and ?become? Dominican.

Group two are the permanent visitors; these expats move here and continue to live a lifestyle close to the one they left.

Group three are the short timers; these expats move here without proper planning, without proper savings and expect to be able to make a living wage while they?re here.

No matter which group one identifies with we all have one thing in common, a personal experience, every group moves here for a different reason and each has to figure out if it?s the right decision. My experience is a positive one, I love it here, the people make me laugh every day and their kindness and tenderness always surprises me.

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
Well I guess after everything that has happened in the 4 short years I have
lived here I would come in your No 2 catagory, but I still love the place even though it drives me crazy sometimes.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Jackieboo,

Can I add one more catagory to your list. A 1B or a 2A. Some of us have not become "Dominican", but have slowed up, down sized, and have changed our "old" lifestyle. We are the tweeners.

Bob K

flgal

May 20, 2007
Moving with pets

Has anyone moved their pets to DR? What is required and is there a limit? What is the best way to facilitate a move there? We so desperately want to move and have visited several times, although not recently. We want to retire there and hopfully buy a small business of some sort, as well as a home with enough property for our pets. We have a very large home with property here and are tired of the "stuff". We would like to bring our pets and relax for what years we have left. Do we ship our belongings or buy there? Can you give me a ballpark of furniture and appliance costs there? Has the gas skyrocketed there as well? Do you pay property taxes? Thank you for any replies!!

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Most of the information you're asking for has been posted many times here on the forum. I'll give you some information, but go to the search pull down and look through past date stuff for more specifics.

1) Pets: No problem, no quarantine and they only need a recent health certificate from your vet that is less than 30 days old.

2) Where? Where are you thinking of moving? There are many different areas of the DR.

Read this post from start to finish and you'll get a good idea about what to do to get ready for your move.

Jack

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Brand New!

Hola!

I'm brand new to this forum (and fairly new to the 'move to DR' community). I've visited the DR 3 times now and am completed taken with the culture and people. I am beginning some plans to move down with my 5 year old son for a year or so and see how we like it.

I am planning a 2-3 week trip in september to explore areas we may be interested in living (thinking the east coast - punta cana area or south coast, bayahibe/la romana etc...). I'm not sure the large city setting of S. Domingo would be quite right for us but I have read that there are many schools in this area. We would also be starting to think about finding a rental property during our visit.

Any suggestions of areas to explore or avoid or property agencies to contact or avoid?? or other ideas on how best to plan this trip (places to stay etc) and areas to explore. Any thoughts would be well appreciated!!! Thanks

bryce

May 14, 2007
I stronlgy agree with Chris. I am a realtor from NY & Fl. thinking of buying in PP-Cabarete. I have Dominican family and friends and they suggest IF you really want a place of your own, maybe buy a small condo 60-80kUS inthe place you want to live and set up shop. Then you can find your feet on your terms and learn - like me!

Elle_Mae_Ming

May 29, 2007
I was kind of curious about the real estate agent in Punta Cana. I actually went there for the first time in March 2007 and enjoyed my experience. I was kind of curious; what made you move all the way from the UK to Bavaro? Were you an avid visitor as well? My dad has visiting the DR for a couple of years, and even got my eldest cousin to study medicine there. Could you tell some advice as to what to expect as a first time buyer? I've never owned property in my life and I'm looking to purchase a place of my own in the next 5-10 years. I'm a college student living with my parents, so I have no experience with these kind of things...

hjocelyn

Feb 21, 2007
www.puntacanalife.com
I brought my two chichuahuas from the US.
You need the usual paperwork, plus I was asked to get the FDA to appove them- and later go to the Dominican Consulate to approve those.
No papers were even looked at upon my arrival in Punta Cana.
...but better to be prepared!

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
Oh, goodie! One of my greatest concerns is that I be able to bring my little baby, my cat Jackson, with me, and it appears it won't be as difficult as it was when I moved to Australia! Yikes!

In regards to moving to the DR, and I will also pose this question to the readers of the "reasonable income" thread, but what are income taxes like in the DR? And is there a tax season, as in the US? Any input is appreciated.

Oh, and one other thing....I am vegan. :) When I lived in the DR before, I was not, so I am seeking to ask, for those of you who already live there - how difficult will my lifestyle be for me? Or easy? I am sure I will have to keep my eyes peeled at restaurants. :) But being vegan sure saves a lot of money!

Thanks, friends. You guys don't know how thankful I am that you all are taking the time to answer my, and everyone else's questions! Great "friends"!

BeachyGirl

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
In regards to moving to the DR, how long can I stay before I have to apply for a visa, residency, etc? Is there a time limit? And what does that entail? I plan on staying for a good, long time, so any relevant advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
BeachyGirl

readmylips

Aug 17, 2007
Moving

Thank you for you advise I definately will call in on the realtor. I'm coming down on Wednesday and plan to look at as many areas as is possible.

Is interesting to know someone speak english. I was very intrigue about moving to caberete. I believe you must know the location very well. Question: Are there gated community homes where security level is low> ;)

readmylips

Aug 17, 2007
Moving

Questions:
How is the crime there compare to other cities?
How are properties priced at?
where is a good website to search at?
How far is Puerto Plata from you?
Is there medical attention in case of emergency and how about hospitals, how close is there one from the city?

Sorry i'm asking but I heard a little about Cabarete soon and I'm very interesting buying property there.

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
I live in Cabarete, crime is no worse here than anywhere else, you make your own security.
There is a good medical center in town here.
PP is about 30/40 min drive from Cabarete depending on traffic.
House prices go from under $100,000 US to infinity!!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps,
Kim

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I live in Cabarete, crime is no worse here than anywhere else, you make your own security.
There is a good medical center in town here.
PP is about 30/40 min drive from Cabarete depending on traffic.
House prices go from under $100,000 US to infinity!!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps,
Kim

You took the words right out of my mouth Kim - good reply.

Would just add that main hospitals are in Puerto Plata, Santiago and Sto. Domingo.