2006 info on Moving to the DR

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the helpful info. Jack, thanks for the answers to the questions i asked, although am so new to message boards i could not find the thread again until just a few minutes ago.

So I arrived a couple days ago and feel somewhat overwhelmed and cut off. I'm assuming this is "normal". I did sign up for Vonage and get a dial tone but the call does not complete. I emailed them with no response yet.

The apartment is not as well equipped as I was led to believe and a small child next door cries all the time. I feel more overwhelmed by not speaking the language fluently and by the money system than I expected to be. and you're right Jack, the humidity is shocking to my system.

I am in Sosua and could sure use a friend right now. Is there someone in the area who might want to show me 'the ropes" or be willing to meet for a cup of tea? Also do you know someone I could hire to give me some Spanish lessions? I have had some in the past, but never used it. I think I will pick it up quickly, but would like some help.

Thank you,
Deb trueheart

Hi Deb:

I'm sending you a Private Message. If you don't know how to access it please repost and I'll give you more details.

Jack

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Foreign drivers license

I looked at the new web pages for moving to the DR and it looks great. I do have a question about the following:
For foreigners wishing to obtain a Dominican driver?s license there is a separate, but similar process. First, foreigners must present their valid licenses from their country of origin with a certification from the Dominican embassy or consulate offices, verifying the validity of the license. Then take this document to the department of foreign relations and legalizations (Cancilleria) and have the document legalized there. Provide photocopies of all documents, present to DGTT, and follow the steps outlined above. The taxes for foreigners are different, and are listed below.
Driver?s License: RD$455
Exam: RD$200
Medical Exam: RD$40
Classification Fee: RD$75
Taxes: RD$70
Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
Additional Taxes: RD$20
Total: RD$925

So, if I want to get a drivers license and currently live in the DR and do NOT have a Cedula, how do I have my license validated? This applies to a U.S. license. Do you know if it can be done here in the DR or do you need to go to the nearest Dominican Embassy outside the country?

Jack

marimu

Jul 22, 2006
New friends......

Hi there, this is my first post. What a lifesaver you guys are. I will be moving down to DR within the next few months and I have to say a great deal of my qustions have been answered right here on the site. we have made several trips to DR and we have pretty much decided that the Sosua/Cabarete area will be where we will be looking to live. We intend to send our 9yr old daughter to the International School Sosua and I wondered if anyone out there has any thoughts or opinions on our choice of school and ideally if anyone has a child at the school who would like to correspond by e mail with our daughter in the meantime. It would really make the transition easier for her. We currently live in Spain and we are bi lingual english/spanish and we would just love to hear from you.....

Oceanview1

Dec 13, 2006
www.banker-trust.com
Thanks to all of you for your insightful thoughts and information. We just got back from another trip and have put an offer in on a house in Sosua. I know you're all saying to rent before we buy, however we found a house that is affordable for us and we aren't going to be dependant on having to sell the house if we decide to leave the DR.

I posted another thread about internet service in the Sosua area. I understand that it is readily available and the house we may buy has cable. The question is how do I arrange to have DSL or 'high speed' internet connected? Is there a web site or telephone numbers and any recommendations would be appriciated.

Another thing, mail. What do you guys do about it? I understand there isn't a postal delivery system in the DR so what do you do? I am thinking of having all of my mail delivered to a relative here in the States and then once a month having them FEDEX it to me there. What'd ya think?

We've decided to make the move simple and either sell or store all of our things here in the States before moving down. We'll be buying a car there and I understand that we need a residency (Cedula) before we can obtain insurance. Any suggestions on where to go to buy a car would be a great help. I've checked SuperCarros.com - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos - super-carros.com and have gotten an idea of what's out there.

I'm so glad that I found DR1 as it's making the transition much easier.
Jack

There's a far less expensive way to receive your mail. Contact Banker Trust. They will provide you with a US address to have all your correspondence and packages mailed to. Those items are then shipped to their Sosua office where you pick it up. Check out their homepage: Home

rush

Jan 22, 2005
HI, we are from Toronto and we are sending our 3 year old to the International School. The school is fantastic, teachers are great and we have meet allot of really nice parents.,
Good luck and do not worry about this experience

rainbow

Nov 23, 2006
For mspattya, about Costambar Hello! I would advise you to read at the site incostambar.com There's a lot of information there. If you rent at such price then you may have problems with electricity and the condo may have no A/C, regards!

skydiverbill

Jan 22, 2007
Hello to all. This is a great site with a lot of insiteful tips about the DR, real estate, the people, government, etc..
I would have made some terrible mistakes had I not come here first. I was just going to buy a place and move right in within the next 3 months. Now I will take a few steps back.
I am retired from commercial construction. Comfortable, not rich. Still fairly young, 59 and counting. Active in the sport of Skydiving. Wish there was a Drop Zone in the DR. But Puerto Rico has a nice one, and not all that far away.
I will be making my first trip to the DR this March. My lady and I will be staying at a resort for 2 weeks. We will of course be traveling around a bit to explore the sights and the people.
1.) I will be very careful with my property when out and about.
2.) I will NOT be buying anything in the time frames I thought I would.
3.) I will make a few trips to the DR before deciding where I will be RENTING for 1 year.
4.) Finally I will do all my homework before making a final decision about buying. Lawyer, real estate agent, location, security, etc.
Again Thanks to all.
Bill

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nice skydiverbill! This makes me feel good! I was just thinking this morning on starting a thread - walking down memory lane a little, and what I would have done differently years ago, if I knew then what I know now! ;)

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Do It

Chris,
Please start the thread on memory land. I would love to know what people who have moved down would have done differently years ago, if they knew then what they know now!
Thanks,
Ann

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Thanks!!

Hi! I'm new here and I just wanted to add my two cents and thank yous!

My husband and I are planning our move for September and all the information we've been finding on this website has been fantastic! We've learned so much about the DR - the good and the not so good - and we feel much more confident about our choice to move there.

So to everyone who's posted, answered our questions, and shared their wealth of knowledge - Thanks!

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Hi,
I am thinking of moving from London, UK to Rio San Juan, anyone live there/love Rio san Juan

sweisser

Jan 30, 2007
Us too...maybe

Hi! I'm new here and I just wanted to add my two cents and thank yous!

My husband and I are planning our move for September and all the information we've been finding on this website has been fantastic! We've learned so much about the DR - the good and the not so good - and we feel much more confident about our choice to move there.

So to everyone who's posted, answered our questions, and shared their wealth of knowledge - Thanks!

Travelchik - Where to? We are contemplating a trip as well. This board has been great for basic info!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
just a question on the rent, don't buy for twelve months advice.

Real estate in DR is booming in price (in 'tourist' areas at least). Is it booming in price elsewhere too? For some people, isn't there a danger that if they rent for a year they may be priced out of their desired market in twelve months time? Alternatively, they may buy, live in the house, then, if they decide to leave DR, sell at a profit? Or if they fall in love with the country, they've got a better property than they'd afford if they waited?

I'm not suggesting anyone does as I mentioned, but it might be a consideration if you buy carefully. We bought a property in Cabarete in February '06 at US$160,000 which is now worth about US$280,000 (it's an investment property, we're still freezing our butts off in Europe!)

Incidentaly,as real estate agents have been mentioned, we used Bodo at Sunshine Invest in Sosua who was excellent and I can highly recommend him/them.

76highlander

Feb 13, 2007
Hi jackieboo,

Why Punta Cana or Cabarete?

I live on the north coast. Wonderfull beaches low cost of living and certainly, certainly no security problems.

As for real estate, the prices are still affordable and the investment value is quite high.

We have internet by satelite as the waiting list here to have cable is very long.

If you need any info about estate agents around this area (Cabrera, Rio san Juan) just ask.

Highlander

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Reply to Sweisser

Travelchik - Where to? We are contemplating a trip as well. This board has been great for basic info!

Hi Sweisser,

We're looking at Sosua - at least at first. Once we've been in the DR for a couple of years and done some exploring (and are speaking Spanish at least semi-fluently! :cheeky: ) that might change, but for now Sosua seems like the best spot for us.

How about you?

Rusty

Mar 6, 2007
Howdy, first can anyone advise an agency for home or condo insurance to cover home owners and wind/storm.
What do you pay now.
Second, could I get some feedback from our group who have spent time in the Las Terrenous area specificly around LaBarbracoa

taglhr

Mar 21, 2007
www.CheaperOnlineTravel.com
Hi, I am new to this forum and find the forums and advise within excellent and felt I would add something to this about my personal experience. I have just purchased a 3 bed 3 bathroon home in Bavaro in a Gated area...This was, I have to say, an impulse decision made on extensively searching the internet for the right place last year. I was there just last week to close on the mortgage, which took sometime arranging prior to my visit as the Banks are not use to the Brits as much as the people from the USA, therefore the credit agencies they use to search for peoples credit history did not extend to the UK (which I had to point out to the bank as they were unaware of this, having declined my mortgage the first time and only approving it after I made them aware of this fact). The area is booming and property prices set to rise very fast. The purchase was initially as an investment with the view to rent the home out and use from time to time, but having returned to the UK last week, I am trying to find a way to move there permanently and itching to return. I think from the experience I have, if you are in a position to buy, this would by far be the best option as prices are rising fast and even if you did not like it, you could resell the property for profit or rent it out. If you visit an area, you maybe able to rent a home for a week or two while you are there to firstly "test the water" in a home, rather than stay in a hotel and research the area more while you are there...Power outages are almost non existant in the area as it is all privately owner; Newer homes are built to very high standards and to accept powerful hurricans if they do hit; We are located 1 mile from the main beach with a free bus to and from the beach so access is very good; The development we are in also has a pool, resteraunt and facilities which are excellent; New Roads are in the process of being built linking all the northern costal resorts with Punta Cana and communications in general seem to be repidly improving - If anyone is interested, I can place them intouch with a very good Real Estate agent in the Punta Cana area with over 30 years of experience, we purchased through them and I would recomend them highly to anyone...If anyone would like to rent my home in the shorter term, it maybe available, do let me know, the furnature should be arriving in early May 2007. I hope this helps anyone looking at the Punta Cana area - We love it! Regards Carl

realfortin

Mar 28, 2007
A million questions...

Wow, great thread. I've been reading it for a while now and just joined up so I could post. I am retiring in 3 years or so at the age of 38, with a modest pension of 3000$ a month Canadian (about US2600$) before Canadian taxes. I have tons of questions so if you can answer even just one I would appreciate it.

-I understand that I will be taxed in Canada until I become a resident of RD and subject to the tax treaty, after that my pension will be tax free if I sever residential ties, CDN bank accounts etc. Can any Canadians confirm this?

-I read in some of the threads that 2000US a month is plenty enough to live with. Does that 2000$ include rent? How modest of a living? Do you think that will be the case for several years to come? Can it be done in Santo Domingo comfortably to enjoy the nightlife on or two days a week? I mean at 100 pesos for a beer, a night of 1000 pesos worth of beer will certainly keep me loopy.

- Would a young guy go crazy for lack of things to do? I would probably take up Kite surfing, mountain biking in the area and other activities. I would likely go out on weekends.

-I do have investments in Canadian Mutual funds, that, if happy in DR after a year or so I would transfer to DR to enjoy tax free growth on them. Do the banks allow you to buy similar investment vehicles such as CDN. foreign or American mutual funds?

-Unfortunately the days of 20% CDs are over. What's the best anyne here has recently attained either in US$ or RD pesos?

Wow, I guess I inundated you all with questions. I hope that you guys can answer a few and that they will help others as well as me.

All the best, hope you are enjoying your paradise.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"I understand that I will be taxed in Canada until I become a resident of RD and subject to the tax treaty, after that my pension will be tax free if I sever residential ties, CDN bank accounts etc. Can any Canadians confirm this?"

In case you haven't found it the site below will outline the distinction between non-resident and deemed non-resident. I think that's what you have to grasp if you're to keep on the right side of the Ottawa tax man. If as and wehn ... I will also consult a trusted accountant. We all probably know people who get around that, but at retirement age I think it would be well to play by the rules.

Non-residents of Canada