50,000 Haitians could be kicked out of the US

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
From this article it seems like they would be pretty good additions to the Dominican Republic. They have years in the US so they have learned structure, order and respect. They would have had to qualify for a tourist visa to get to America so they would have some financial backing. They also speak English and would likely have family that could send them money....

I think that they could do pretty good in a city like Santiago

What's your source? I lived in Fl lauderdale, and worked in Miami for 6 years. They have their own communities, don't assimilate much, and just like some folks in little havanah, some have lived in this country for 10, 12, 15 years, and speak nary a word of english.
I know this, having personally cussed out some of these rude, creole-speaking SOBs

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
What's your source? I lived in Fl lauderdale, and worked in Miami for 6 years. They have their own communities, don't assimilate much, and just like some folks in little havanah, some have lived in this country for 10, 12, 15 years, and speak nary a word of english.
I know this, having personally cussed out some of these rude, creole-speaking SOBs

He's either being facetious (pulling our legs tongue-in-cheek), playing not-in-my-backyardism, or being extremely hateful to the DR and its chopos. Hard to say.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Forgot one Naked_Snake:

All of the above! lol

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Did you hear any mention of the DR? I'm speaking from my experiences with haitians I encounter in the states, and other countries.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Did you hear any mention of the DR? I'm speaking from my experiences with haitians I encounter in the states, and other countries.

Not youpossibili's amusement at the possibility of them turning up on the DR is not amusing at all for us ones that would have to deal with them at the end of the day.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Not you, but rfp's amusement at the possibility of them turning up on the DR is not amusing at all for us ones that would have to deal with them at the end of the day.

Fixed.

At the end of the day, the last thing that the DR needs right now is to receive even more riff raff to pile up with the one it has to deal with already, local or not.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
From this article it seems like they would be pretty good additions to the Dominican Republic. They have years in the US so they have learned structure, order and respect. They would have had to qualify for a tourist visa to get to America so they would have some financial backing. They also speak English and would likely have family that could send them money....

I think that they could do pretty good in a city like Santiago

Do you give a reference that shows they all learned this?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

And I'm merely cosigning them by telling you that they aren't that different in Santo Domingo from the characterization you just made. I'm currently ending a master's degree in Spain, and the thought of having to deal with their shenanigans again is one of the things that kills any enthusiasm I might feel at the event of returning home. The other one is the security situation.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And I'm merely cosigning them by telling you that they aren't that different in Santo Domingo from the characterization you just made. I'm currently ending a master's degree in Spain, and the thought of having to deal with their shenanigans again is one of the things that kills any enthusiasm I might feel at the event of returning home. The other one is the security situation.

congrats on this latest phase of your journey, my friend...

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I hope this is not viewed as an opportunity to remove 50 k potential dem voters in Florida. Perhaps the DR can extend a warm welcoming hand to their Haitian brothers and prove that love wins over hate

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I hope this is not viewed as an opportunity to remove 50 k potential dem voters in Florida. Perhaps the DR can extend a warm welcoming hand to their Haitian brothers and prove that love wins over hate

There is probably 15 out of that group that are registered voters. " Haitian brothers" tell that to a Dominican and you might get a bloody nose.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
There is probably 15 out of that group that are registered voters. " Haitian brothers" tell that to a Dominican and you might get a bloody nose.[/

Trust me, a lot more than that voted last time through. I think most Dominicans will adjust their mentality towards their neighbors if they are shown love and taught the right way to think.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
There is probably 15 out of that group that are registered voters. " Haitian brothers" tell that to a Dominican and you might get a bloody nose.[/

Trust me, a lot more than that voted last time through. I think most Dominicans will adjust their mentality towards their neighbors if they are shown love and taught the right way to think.

If material/living conditions don't improve in the country (which in spite of Pichardo's regular BSing, its improbable will happen with the current political/societal directorate) forget about it. Worsening economic prospects will only serve to harden the ethnic line, trust me.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Right way to think? 
Here's what I think.
The USA should stick all of them on yolas and have them set sail for the EU with rfp on board
playing captain.  

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

It cannot be viewed as removing potential voters because the program they are in has no path to residency or citizenship in the US. It is a temporary relief program.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Do you have proof of non-citizens of the US voting illegally in US elections?

The Dominicans I know are not about to have your so-called right way to think any time soon.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Fyi , post 32 was combined with mine and rfp. Two totally different schools of thought.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
there was just a sort of flaming discussion on this topic on the English Corbett list - where - interestingly enough for my friends here on the DR - one of the posters said "Oh. Elizabeth is back with her usual anti Haitian views""!

So I am an equal opportunity offender.. One member posted an article on the TPP issue - about a student in CT and asked for opinions. I reported on a conversation with a Mexican American Quaker that I met here - who just married a Haitian - who is a professor at the local college - who asked me why it was that all the Haitians were so desperate to get college diplomas? And why they thought that they could get one without speaking English? And were willing to "scam and cheat" (his words) the system in order to get the degree? "

But I do not believe that there is any support for the Haitians to renew TPP status.. Time is up. There is not much love for them here as far as I can discern (although I have only been here 6 months) although they are certainly working hard here at Walmarts and the supermarkets etc...etc... etc...

plus of course.. some very nice homes in the surrounding neighborhood..which is always building - but has modest prices for the USA - with new homes going for $200k.

One of the folks who posted on the Corbett list is a very well respected American who runs a factory in PauP... He says that Haiti needs those folks back..

Without proper papers, the Haitians will not be able to get legal work nor continue their education in the USA They may chose to stay as illegals - as do oh so many other immigrants... or -- if they turn to the "dark side" like - well -- making a left turn from the wrong lane.. (such is the enforcement now ).. they will be subject to deportation- that will depend on which state they are in.. and which city.

Palm Beach county might be pretty safe for them as the Fanjuls own 15% of the land and the Haitians still cut cane out west in Belle Glade.

I think Florida is lost as a Democratic state.. Rick Scott is going for the Senate seat of the Dem Senator...Bill Nelson..