50,000 Haitians could be kicked out of the US

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Canada is a great country where they don't have the history of colonialism and the arrogance of their Western Europe counterparts.  They actually make it a priority and  accept diversity while also being undoubtedly proud Canadians.  I hope the new Haitians contribute like many before them who are proud to live in such a great and kind country.

You are sadly mistaken about the origins and development of my country. Canada is however a multicultural nation that embraces diversity/ Unfortunately they have not properly screened quite a few immigrants that are intolerant of others.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sounds like a lot of Haitians in the US are self-deporting..... to Canada:

'We're close to the limit': Big O becomes a shelter as refugees flow from U.S.

Naomi Jolicoeur and Max LeGrande stand outside the Olympic Stadium with a sign to welcome Haitian refugees arriving by bus at the facility on Wednesday August 2, 2017.

Published on: August 2, 2017 | Last Updated: August 2, 2017 1:56 PM EDT

Montreal’s Olympic Stadium, the site of sporting events, rock concerts and trade shows, has assumed a new vocation: refugee shelter.

The east-end stadium is in the process of setting up beds for hundreds of refugee claimants, many of them Haitians fleeing the United States for fear their temporary resident status in that country will be revoked.

The reports come as figures compiled by the Canadian Border Services Agency indicate Quebec has become Canada’s main entry point for refugees.

The CBSA figures show that of the 4,345 people who either sought asylum at border stations or were intercepted by police while trying to enter Canada in the first six months of 2017, 3,350 were recorded in Quebec.

Francine Dupuis, who oversees PRAIDA, a government-funded program to help seekers get on their feet in Quebec, said the numbers are unprecedented.

“It’s unheard of,” Dupuis said. “In 30 years, I’ve never seen this kind of volume or intensity.”

Dupuis said about 90 per cent of the “increasing wave” of refugees coming into Quebec are now Haitian. In July, PRAIDA received 1,200 new requests for refugees, she said, close to four times more than an average month.

“We’re doing our best, but obviously there’s going to be a limit. And we’re close to that limit.”

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre welcomed the refugees in a message on Twitter. He also called the situation “another consequence” of U.S. President Donald Trump’s immigration politics.

The first refugees arrived at the stadium Wednesday morning. Olympic Stadium spokesperson Cédric Essiminy said stadium officials were approached on Friday about the idea of hosting refugees for the next couple of months.

He said they were happy to participate in the effort.

As of Wednesday morning, the stadium had 150 beds set up in a communal space in its western hall, where caregivers will be using a nearby concession stand to prepare and distribute food. Refugees will also have access to roughly 20 showers in an unused team locker room in the basement. Essiminy said the space could accommodate up to 450 beds.

Hosting the refugees will not affect any of the stadium’s activities, Essiminy added.

The same space in the stadium was used for H1N1 vaccinations in 2009. It was also set up, beds and all, to host people from the neighbourhood who were without electricity during the 1998 ice storm, but ended up not being used when, at the last minute, power was restored.

“We don’t have any experience with this kind of thing specifically, but we can be a good host,” Essiminy said. “The Olympic Stadium is 40 years old. We’re used to being part of the history of Montreal, in any way whatsoever.”

Canadian Press contributed to this report

This story will be updated.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...r-haitian-refugees-flowing-from-u-s-to-canada

I think this should be put into perspective. Canada is a wealthy country. Per the article, PRAIDA, says that they received requests for 1200 refugees in July alone, which would be over 14,000 per year if it continues at this rate. PRAIDA goes on to say:
“We’re doing our best, but obviously there’s going to be a limit. And we’re close to that limit.”

Meanwhile, contrast that to the DR(a relatively poor country) where it is estimated that 60,000 Haitians enter the DR illegally every year and close to 1/4 million have been accepted into the PNRE - yet the international community and NGO's criticize the DR for its immigration policy and for not doing enough and, to add insult to injury, baseless charges of racism are leveled against both Dominicans and their government.

If the international community and these NGO's truly want to help the Haitian people, I think their time, energy, and money would be better spent in making Haiti a county where Haitians want to stay and live.

Perhaps some sort of provisional international government should be installed(?). Haiti is a failed state and it seems their present and past leaders have been totally incompetent in running the country.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
With all respect Cavok, you can't compare the inflow of haitians into the DR and Canada. What happens if a Haitian has No work in the DR? Day of hunger. What if this happens in Canada? They will have to maintain him and his family.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
With all respect Cavok, you can't compare the inflow of haitians into the DR and Canada. What happens if a Haitian has No work in the DR? Day of hunger. What if this happens in Canada? They will have to maintain him and his family.

The point, I believe, is that a wealthy country like Canada is putting a limit on how many they will allow in, and it's a fraction of what tiny, comparably poor DR has. Yet the world criticizes DR.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Day of hunger, is die of hunger or starvation. I cant edit posts anymore, I don't know why.

No, he (cuz' the majority of them here are males of fighting age) will most likely engage in petty (and some times, big) acts of brigandage, which is already happening in many places of the northwest and the border, regardless of the presence (or lack thereof) of Cesfront in said places. The jobs they can fill in agro and construction here aren't in infinite supply, you know.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The point, I believe, is that a wealthy country like Canada is putting a limit on how many they will allow in, and it's a fraction of what tiny, comparably poor DR has. Yet the world criticizes DR.

Canada also lets in a multitude of people from other places as well.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Canada also lets in a multitude of people from other places as well.

Yeah, Trudeau, the virtue-signaller-in-chief. He seems intent on continuing his old man's agenda of bringing Anglo Canada to its knees, or so some acquaintances there tell me.

Any way, going back to the discussion, I pretty much doubt this new bill will past muster, since mainstream Repubs seem to be so intent on cucking so hard on this and other aspects of Trump's agenda. Methinks we might be witnessing a return to a Demoncratic congressional majority pretty soon, sad to say.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Canada will send them back. These people are not refugees and there is a 3rd country agreement. Coming soon to Santiago :) 

Normally, but who know with Truedope as leader. Refugees are only temporary until or if the situation in their home country improves.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
A Haitian friend told me that some friends of his who live in Haiti, but had US tourist visas, went to the bother with Canada and they let them him and now are able to live there; now they are telling him to do the same thing. He lives here in the DR but has a US visa.

Don't they check the person's passports at the border?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Don't they check the person's passports at the border?

It's a long border. The migrants aren't entering Canada at a border crossing, they are hiking across fields and jumping ditches. They know they will be turned around at a border crossing. However, if they are able to enter Canada and present themselves to an immigration centre, they are entitled to a hearing to determine the validity of their refugee claim. With the workload at present, this hearing process with appeals can take several years, all the while the Cdn taxpayers are supporting this migrants with monthly welfare payments, free food from food banks, healthcare and dental care. Not being locked up in a detention centre makes this an appealing choice compared to the current situation in the US or back where they came from originally.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I seriously doubt that anyone who has been legally living and working and paying taxes in the USA since 2010 is going to be thrown into a detention center or otherwise denied an opportunity to apply for permanent resident status on a priority basis. I have been wrong before but I just don't see how we would live with that. Anyone who could show a record of continuous employment and taxes paid should have a chance to continue to contribute.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I seriously doubt that anyone who has been legally living and working and paying taxes in the USA since 2010 is going to be thrown into a detention center or otherwise denied an opportunity to apply for permanent resident status on a priority basis. I have been wrong before but I just don't see how we would live with that. Anyone who could show a record of continuous employment and taxes paid should have a chance to continue to contribute.

That idea of paying taxes for a couple of years is the base I used to help probably 20 different people from illegal status to legal residency/ It is one thing that does impress immigration in the USA.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
That idea of paying taxes for a couple of years is the base I used to help probably 20 different people from illegal status to legal residency/ It is one thing that does impress immigration in the USA.

It's what keeps the gears turning.