50,000 Haitians could be kicked out of the US

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Are we talking about economical differences or color/race. The jews in those days, mainly Portugese jews were rather different from the Dutch, even in appearance, nevertheless they worked and lived together. I thought that's where it was all about. I don't see, untill today that "No racism" in the DR. No way a Total "white" DR family would accept a black Son in law. Do you think so?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Are we talking about economical differences or color/race. The jews in those days, mainly Portugese jews were rather different from the Dutch, even in appearance, nevertheless they worked and lived together. I thought that's where it was all about. I don't see, untill today that "No racism" in the DR. No way a Total "white" DR family would accept a black Son in law. Do you think so?

Not in millionaire families, but you would be surprised how many families in the interior of the country (specially in the Cibao and Peravia) run all the gamut. Never judge a society for what its upper classes do, but for what its plain Joses and Juanas do.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

As for your first point, a bit of both. They might have faced societal restrictions in Europe, but in the Americas the colonial societies turned their heads to the side regarding the so called Jewish Question, specially during their initial stages, when they were so starved in cash, and provisions from the metropole weren't fast in coming.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Well I live and have lived for many years in the Cibao, and a black family would be delighted to have a Rubio grand Son,

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Well I live and have lived for many years in the Cibao, and a black family would be delighted to have a Rubio grand Son,

But that hasn't stopped them from nabbing their morenas and prietas all the same. The fact that we have less pure white and black folks than Cuba should tell you something (yes, I know they have had more immigration coming from Europe and imported more African slaves, but their birthrates have always been abysmally low, so the net population growth in both populations have been the same).

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Yes because they are the majority, real caucacian dominicans are rare.

My point is that you can find more of both extremes in Cuba than on the DR, therefore, they, as well as most of the region, have had a more polarized society on racial and economic grounds.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I always give more leeway in Haiti threads when race is mentioned, but this last section of posts is not Haitian related at all.

Cease and desist. Now. 

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I always give more leeway in Haiti threads when race is mentioned, but this last section of posts is not Haitian related at all.

Cease and desist. Now. 

I had already "soltado eso en banda", but nevertheless, duly noted and copied, ma'am. :hurt:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sorry, but I find that hard to believe, specially since in the centuries he's speaking about (XVIIth-XIXth), the DR/Santo Domingo was remarked to be extremely lax on its racial views (and even criticized for it by certain colonial ministers in Seville) while in Surinam, as with your typical Caribbean plantation colony, such harmony shone for its absence. The John Stedmans that dared to jump the color line there were a handful, and very much frowned and criticized upon. In fact, Stedman had to take his mulatto children to Europe for them to attain liberty, let alone a better life.
He didn't read the whole post and, quite frankly, he doesn't get it.

Apparently the world is full of countries with large numbers of whites and blacks that through the centuries mixed so much that the black/white mixed race element is now a majority.

Lets see, mulatto majority countries today are the DR, Cape Verde, that's it. Yep, that's a lot of countries and they are huge too.

Lets not forget the 'country' of Amsterdam with its centuries old admixture between people of very different origin. Afterall, its not as if they began to receive large numbers of non-native people in the 20th century, no way. ;)

The DR has always been seen as a racially harmonious country until Haiti became a failed state. Suddenly the attempts to pigeon hole the DR into accepting Haiti's problems requires ignoring the historical evidence and making Dominicans feel, on the one hand responsible for Haiti's problems and on the other hand obligated to assume those issues.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here are the quotes I previously said I might post. The parts of interest in each is highlighted with a red box.

Moreau de St Mery (rich Frenchman from Cap Francais -Cap Haitian today-) in the 1790's

Charles McKenzie in the 1820's (notice what he says is the biggest problem in the cohesion of Haiti at that time)

Response of a 'Mr Harrison', a native of Philadelphia that lived in Santo Domingo, during his interview to the US Commission visiting the country in 1845 (part I)

Response of a 'Mr Harrison', a native of Philadelphia that lived in Santo Domingo, during his interview to the US Commission visiting the country in 1845 (part II)

Response of a 'Mr Harrison', a native of Philadelphia that lived in Santo Domingo, during his interview to the US Commission visiting the country in 1845 (part III)

William Read (American that moved to the DR) in 1871

Hyatt Verrill in 1914 (American that extensively visited Puerto Rico, DR, Haiti; and Cuba)

There's more, of course, but this should suffice.

Notice the years that each was made. Once Duvalier's dictatorship collapsed and Haiti went on its downward spiral, the insistance is to present the DR as the complete opposite of how it has always been seen and has been. Haiti becomes a failed state and the DR is under constant attacks by groups of people that want the DR to take upon its shoulders Haiti's problems, as if the country is capable of doing that. Suddenly the DR can't be presented as a historically racially harmonious country, because that poses a problem for imposing the Haitian mess on Dominican society. Afterall, if Dominican society is racially harmonious, what could possibly be the source of anti-Haitian feelings in many? Could it be the bloody past of invasions, massacres, rapes; etc that the Dominican people were subjected to by the western neighbor? How can the DR be forced to take it upon itself the Haitian dilemma if the Haitian society turns out to be the creators of the rejection in Dominican society? The solution is to ignore the historic evidence of a racially harmonious society, convince the world that its as racist as aparteid South Africa, and that the Haitians are rejected solely for racial reasons. That's the perfect way of discrediting Dominicans on Haitian issues and, at the same time, force Dominicans to put on our shoulders the heavy weight of Haiti's social, political, and economic problems.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
@NaALs,
I don't think I like your intent to ridiculise my opinions in your # 72.
Please do not think I didn't read all the posts. In fact your "country" of Amsterdam, as you wrote, shows you might not have read my comments. Read them again please.
Actualiy, the netherlands have received lots and lots of foreigners, and yes a lot of dominican losers as wel.
We received them with love but, sorry to say, most of them turned into prostitution and drugstraffic.
In 2013 Amsterdam alone had 49,5% foreigners of the 799.442. In 2007 we had 177 nationalities alone in the capitol of Holland.
As you said I don't get the point...please explain me what IS your point?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sounds like a lot of Haitians in the US are self-deporting..... to Canada:

'We're close to the limit': Big O becomes a shelter as refugees flow from U.S.

Naomi Jolicoeur and Max LeGrande stand outside the Olympic Stadium with a sign to welcome Haitian refugees arriving by bus at the facility on Wednesday August 2, 2017.

Published on: August 2, 2017 | Last Updated: August 2, 2017 1:56 PM EDT

Montreal’s Olympic Stadium, the site of sporting events, rock concerts and trade shows, has assumed a new vocation: refugee shelter.

The east-end stadium is in the process of setting up beds for hundreds of refugee claimants, many of them Haitians fleeing the United States for fear their temporary resident status in that country will be revoked.

The reports come as figures compiled by the Canadian Border Services Agency indicate Quebec has become Canada’s main entry point for refugees.

The CBSA figures show that of the 4,345 people who either sought asylum at border stations or were intercepted by police while trying to enter Canada in the first six months of 2017, 3,350 were recorded in Quebec.

Francine Dupuis, who oversees PRAIDA, a government-funded program to help seekers get on their feet in Quebec, said the numbers are unprecedented.

“It’s unheard of,” Dupuis said. “In 30 years, I’ve never seen this kind of volume or intensity.”

Dupuis said about 90 per cent of the “increasing wave” of refugees coming into Quebec are now Haitian. In July, PRAIDA received 1,200 new requests for refugees, she said, close to four times more than an average month.

“We’re doing our best, but obviously there’s going to be a limit. And we’re close to that limit.”

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre welcomed the refugees in a message on Twitter. He also called the situation “another consequence” of U.S. President Donald Trump’s immigration politics.

The first refugees arrived at the stadium Wednesday morning. Olympic Stadium spokesperson Cédric Essiminy said stadium officials were approached on Friday about the idea of hosting refugees for the next couple of months.

He said they were happy to participate in the effort.

As of Wednesday morning, the stadium had 150 beds set up in a communal space in its western hall, where caregivers will be using a nearby concession stand to prepare and distribute food. Refugees will also have access to roughly 20 showers in an unused team locker room in the basement. Essiminy said the space could accommodate up to 450 beds.

Hosting the refugees will not affect any of the stadium’s activities, Essiminy added.

The same space in the stadium was used for H1N1 vaccinations in 2009. It was also set up, beds and all, to host people from the neighbourhood who were without electricity during the 1998 ice storm, but ended up not being used when, at the last minute, power was restored.

“We don’t have any experience with this kind of thing specifically, but we can be a good host,” Essiminy said. “The Olympic Stadium is 40 years old. We’re used to being part of the history of Montreal, in any way whatsoever.”

Canadian Press contributed to this report

This story will be updated.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...r-haitian-refugees-flowing-from-u-s-to-canada

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like a lot of Haitians in the US are self-deporting..... to Canada:

'We're close to the limit': Big O becomes a shelter as refugees flow from U.S.

Naomi Jolicoeur and Max LeGrande stand outside the Olympic Stadium with a sign to welcome Haitian refugees arriving by bus at the facility on Wednesday August 2, 2017.

Published on: August 2, 2017 | Last Updated: August 2, 2017 1:56 PM EDT

Montreal’s Olympic Stadium, the site of sporting events, rock concerts and trade shows, has assumed a new vocation: refugee shelter.

The east-end stadium is in the process of setting up beds for hundreds of refugee claimants, many of them Haitians fleeing the United States for fear their temporary resident status in that country will be revoked.

The reports come as figures compiled by the Canadian Border Services Agency indicate Quebec has become Canada’s main entry point for refugees.

The CBSA figures show that of the 4,345 people who either sought asylum at border stations or were intercepted by police while trying to enter Canada in the first six months of 2017, 3,350 were recorded in Quebec.

Francine Dupuis, who oversees PRAIDA, a government-funded program to help seekers get on their feet in Quebec, said the numbers are unprecedented.

“It’s unheard of,” Dupuis said. “In 30 years, I’ve never seen this kind of volume or intensity.”

Dupuis said about 90 per cent of the “increasing wave” of refugees coming into Quebec are now Haitian. In July, PRAIDA received 1,200 new requests for refugees, she said, close to four times more than an average month.

“We’re doing our best, but obviously there’s going to be a limit. And we’re close to that limit.”

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre welcomed the refugees in a message on Twitter. He also called the situation “another consequence” of U.S. President Donald Trump’s immigration politics.

The first refugees arrived at the stadium Wednesday morning. Olympic Stadium spokesperson Cédric Essiminy said stadium officials were approached on Friday about the idea of hosting refugees for the next couple of months.

He said they were happy to participate in the effort.

As of Wednesday morning, the stadium had 150 beds set up in a communal space in its western hall, where caregivers will be using a nearby concession stand to prepare and distribute food. Refugees will also have access to roughly 20 showers in an unused team locker room in the basement. Essiminy said the space could accommodate up to 450 beds.

Hosting the refugees will not affect any of the stadium’s activities, Essiminy added.

The same space in the stadium was used for H1N1 vaccinations in 2009. It was also set up, beds and all, to host people from the neighbourhood who were without electricity during the 1998 ice storm, but ended up not being used when, at the last minute, power was restored.

“We don’t have any experience with this kind of thing specifically, but we can be a good host,” Essiminy said. “The Olympic Stadium is 40 years old. We’re used to being part of the history of Montreal, in any way whatsoever.”

Canadian Press contributed to this report

This story will be updated.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...r-haitian-refugees-flowing-from-u-s-to-canada

Better Haitians than Islamic terrorists but unfortunately for Canada is taking both.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I see a lot of huffing and puffing about Mmmm not much. The bill, if it passes as it stands now (which almost no bill does ever) simply limits refugee visas to a total of 50K per year. Nobody is being "kicked out" and if and when the bill becomes law I imagine that existing visas will simply be allowed to expire until the goal of 50K is reached.

This gives existing refugee visa holders time to apply for one of the other 630K visas which will be issued or renewed in the 1st year it becomes law. There remain many paths to a visa and eventually U S Citizenship. I think the new law would inspire many more permanent Resident visa holders to become Citizens. There is nothing about this legislation which is specific to Haitians.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Canada is very generous, like northern Europe in the 70's and 80's. They will learn.

Canada is a great country where they don't have the history of colonialism and the arrogance of their Western Europe counterparts.  They actually make it a priority and  accept diversity while also being undoubtedly proud Canadians.  I hope the new Haitians contribute like many before them who are proud to live in such a great and kind country.