A New DR1 Forum?

Requires 3 votes, read first post prior to voting!

• YES: I object to the creation of the proposed forum

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • NO: I support the creation of the proposed forum

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • YES: I would request access

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • NO: I wouldn't request access

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I support a LIMITED OPEN forum

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • I support FULLY RESTRICTED forum

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It won't happen because there aren't enough who post on here? Or something else? If its because so few post on here consistently there is a reason for that. I have found some of the most insightful postings to be either from actual Dominicans or from people like yourself, JD Jones and AZB who have lived here longtime. However the 3 of you and other long time residents rarely post anymore.

We have never attracted Dominicans in any numbers and that will never change, for obvious reasons.
Boards change, posters come and go, that's the nature of the beast. New blood is the life blood of message boards. If the board was full of "old timers" it would get boring very quickly.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
That will never happen, so you might as well stop wasting your time now.

What would be the downside? Is there a worry that those born and raised here would simply stay on that designated forum and the other forums would lose their input? That would be a point against it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What would be the downside? Is there a worry that those born and raised here would simply stay on that designated forum and the other forums would lose their input? That would be a point against it.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a dozen posters who were born and raised here that post.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Find me 5... As i said, it will never happen, move on.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I favor it.......

too many times a resident will post something that he/she experienced yesterday and a visitor form last year will contradict -
Oh, that didn't happen to me...
And then an argument ensues.

The new news the resident posted (potentially very valuable) get buried in the chit chat.

Witness ju10's recent trips at SDQ... many contradict him.
Hesus, he went through 12 flights in the past week.... he knows of which he speaks, but last March's traveler will over rule him.

Residents will be giving fresh, accurate insight to visitors - snowbirds, 1 weekers

I see it as 'expert' vs 'amateur' advice/knowledge.

Count me in

Jul 28, 2014
I favor it.......

I see it as 'expert' vs 'amateur' advice/knowledge.

Although I understand what you are saying WW, that still doesn't stop anyone, whether resident or otherwise, from spewing B.S. I have more than once read things from "Residents" that were incorrect on this website...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It looks like some may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. From the info provided I do not see any way that this new forum will dramatically change anything. It appears to be just another choice for users to make from the main menu. Those who want to participate are free to request access and those who choose not to are not being forced to. It appears that everyone will be able to read what is posted so we needn't worry that people are saying "not nice" things about us behind our backs.

I don't think this new forum will require annual dues or living sacrifices, just that posting will be limited to Citizens-Residents of paradise. This requirement might very well result in low traffic volume. None-the-less, it will be interesting to see how it develops over time.

Who am I to say I don't like your sandbox so you shouldn't be allowed to 1) have one or 2) Play in it. I support the idea.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
This poll was suggested by a forum member who expressed a desire to remain anonymous.

The following text is a word-for-word copy of his proposal.

Please note that the poll is multiple choice but anonymous, pick all that applies and then submit. You must pick three choices. Once the votes are in, they are final.

-----------

DR1 is considering a proposal for the creation of a new limited access general topic message board primarily targeted to and for use by Residents and Citizens of the Dominican Republic. This poll is an attempt to quantify the level of user interest/support for this concept. As with all message boards on DR1, participation in this new board will be voluntary, the threads will adhere to the general rules as they pertain to all message boards on this site, will be moderated and general user access will be restricted to some degree to ensure that the content remains focused on the subset of DR1 user community the new board is intended to serve.

Would you object to the creation of such a message board on DR1?
Yes: I object to the creation of this proposed message board
NO: I do not object/I support the creation of this proposed message board

Would you consider requesting access to the new message board if created?
Yes: I would consider requesting access
No: I would not request access​

Based on the proposed focus and scope of the new message board, do you feel that it would be most useful if the threads are readable by everyone with posting restricted to qualifying users (LIMITED OPEN) or do you feel that this new board would be more useful if it is fully restricted with access granted only to qualifying users (FULLY RESTRICTED)?

I support a LIMITED OPEN message board & thread model
I support FULLY RESTRICTED message board & thread model​

Thank you for offering your input.

What does this Forum lack that requires another? I think someone is just looking to start a business and using the backs of those who began this open forum to get it launched.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Off the top of my head I can't think of a dozen posters who were born and raised here that post.

We insulted most of them away. There have been a lot of them. When they post, they often get jumped all over.

Mr. AE wouldn't last a day here. Don't get me wrong, he complains as much or more than some of you do. I overheard him on the phone with his brother yesterday, and at one point he said how glad he was that he doesn't live in DR. But being disgusted at what goes on in DR, and listening to continuing insults about the intelligence of Dominicans, etc. is a whole different story.

Exactly what do we offer Dominicans here that makes it worth their while to contribute? Not much.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
From my experience as of Webmaster for 15+ years, my opinion:

My suggestion, leave it alone. Too much hassle.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I live here. Don?t see a need for the creation of the proposed forum.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
We insulted most of them away. There have been a lot of them. When they post, they often get jumped all over.

Mr. AE wouldn't last a day here. Don't get me wrong, he complains as much or more than some of you do. I overheard him on the phone with his brother yesterday, and at one point he said how glad he was that he doesn't live in DR. But being disgusted at what goes on in DR, and listening to continuing insults about the intelligence of Dominicans, etc. is a whole different story.

Exactly what do we offer Dominicans here that makes it worth their while to contribute? Not much.

My thoughts exactly.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think there are a lot of 'hip shooters' that detract from the quality of the advice.

A residents' only group will include residing Doms.... by definition.... and cedula holders.
Basically, it's a cedula holder group.

The advice will be current, germane...
GRamon says BS will still appear.... it may very well............
but I bet the level goes waaaay down
No more need for rubber boots to wade thru the crap.

The lack of solid advice is a disservice to those seeking real answers.

Personally, I enjoy helping/contributing.
DR1 has saved my a$$ more than once and i hope I have saved at least one.

My reception is so bad now, I cannot get back to pages 3 & 4 to read.
So, if I've duplicated......... lo siento.

Whoever came up with this idea ahs DR1's best interest at heart
By eliminating the unfounded chatter..........IMO,
not humble opinion, just my opinion

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
so far 18 people have said they would join.

Robert's number is 25 to start it.

Where was all this noise when a 500 post Off Topic chapter was created?

I see this as an idea to create more quality for visitors to read.
Like the thread about applying for or renewing residencies.

Hard facts were reported.....no conjecture
and it helped many from what I saw/read

The Off Topic thread adds nothing to RD content... just a playground for some...
Some rarely leave it....

This new idea adds content............ as i see it

Sorry, slightly passionate about it

Noooo, not my idea.... another genius thought of it.............
humor, that's humor.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.