A New DR1 Forum?

Requires 3 votes, read first post prior to voting!

• YES: I object to the creation of the proposed forum

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • NO: I support the creation of the proposed forum

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • YES: I would request access

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • NO: I wouldn't request access

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I support a LIMITED OPEN forum

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • I support FULLY RESTRICTED forum

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Residents will be giving fresh, accurate insight to visitors - snowbirds, 1 weekers

How do you expect this to work if visitors - snowbirds, 1 weekers don't have access
to the forum?

That's what I was getting at but gave up. 25 residents talking amongst themselves that is what it sounds like as presented my the mysterious member

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That's what I was getting at but gave up. 25 residents talking amongst themselves that is what it sounds like as presented my the mysterious member

I think the creator of the poll should have put more thought into when they created the poll, making one choose when you already said you object.

Maybe that "mysterious member" thinks it would keep some of the Moderators out. lol

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
A "residents only" forum will result in either tremendous contention or extreme boredom from what I've seen. What's next? DR1 "cage matches" with webcams in the octagon? Wait a minute......!!!:D

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Minimum 25 Anna, not limited to ..

Need 25 to open...
In spite of what you & I think, the OT group is strong...

I dislike it and rarely enter
The population has a preponderance of non islanders.... some granted but mostly focusing on 'foreign affairs'
more power to them , but they aid nobody......IMO

Residents will be giving fresh, accurate insight to visitors - snowbirds, 1 weekers

How do you expect this to work if visitors - snowbirds, 1 weekers don't have access
to the forum?
They have access to the answers ... as Matilda pointed out, the directions given to one travel were ludicrous.
Chasing flatulence in a tornado

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I can't really see the point.

It is fairly easy to tell those who live here and know the ropes from those who just post from outer mongolia because they have heard about Sosua or Punta Cana and once went on an all-inclusive two weeker and who fell in love with the first hot latina/o they ever met.

It's more fun to shoot them down....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think there is a need for another forum, but not based on residents and none residents. the regular users are all pretty much known within the community. And they are few (how many regular posters are there, 40 maybe, if that?). This forum would get zero traffic anyway. Unless the idea is to keep the regulars away from the visitors, the negatives that are abundant from personal experiences etc, the unpolished DR, then it makes sense. I can see why some wanting to promote the DR would want to keep visiting eyes away from the crap regulars users often get into.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I can't really see the point.

It is fairly easy to tell those who live here and know the ropes from those who just post from outer mongolia because they have heard about Sosua or Punta Cana and once went on an all-inclusive two weeker and who fell in love with the first hot latina/o they ever met.

It's more fun to shoot them down....

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Not taking the poll. My wife is Dominican and I'm American. We don't live.full time in Santo Domingo. We own property there and call it our home. If DR1 or Robert or anybody else wants to exclude us from some little "the in crowd" thing because we travel around then we will happily not be part.of it. In other words Nals, I really dont give a $hit. I have a dislike for snooty people and snooty clubs or boards too.

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I just looked at the results:

Voters must choose at lease 3 boxes.

37 Voters - which should be a minimum of 111 boxes checked.
The total boxes checked only adds up to 98.

How is that possible?

98 / 3 = 32.666 Voters

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I just looked at the results:

Voters must choose at lease 3 boxes.

37 Voters - which should be a minimum of 111 boxes checked.
The total boxes checked only adds up to 98.

How is that possible?

98 / 3 = 32.666 Voters

The poll is wrong. It should be a simple YES or NO vote for the residents only forum. Simple!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't recall reading anywhere that participants in this new forum will have to live full time in the DR. Seems to me that the three questions may not be exclusively dependent on each other. It just looks like three related questions.

Do you have a visceral objection to the creation. Would you be interested in participating if it existed. Would it be preferred if the forum was completely closed or semi accessible to everyone.

It certainly looks like some may be reacting before thinking about what they have read and filling in a whole lot of blanks with their own conspiracy theories. There is no need to lash out at Robert or NALs. As I surmised above, I can't see how a new forum that they may or may not post in will negatively affect affect any user's use or enjoyment of DR1 as it exists today. Geesh people, get some sleep.

Since few say it often enough, thanks Robert, Delores, NALs and all the other moderators, for your time and efforts. We wouldn't be here without you.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
So, information about living in the DR is for residents/citizens only?

There is very important info on this board for people looking to move to the DR....now people are looking to hid this info?

Nice, really nice.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So, information about living in the DR is for residents/citizens only?

There is very important info on this board for people looking to move to the DR....now people are looking to hid this info?

Nice, really nice.

Not at all. A residents only board would be read only for non-residents.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I don't like this idea for many reasons. Any attempts to limit access to those with a cedula or some sort of authentic credentials will harm the quality of the website and the information contained therein. I discovered dr1.com through Junot Diaz. I think he would be excluded from this new message board service and by the sound of it many supporters of this idea would think that would be a good thing.

To them, Junot Diaz's foreign residence, dilutes his authority. That is, in my humble opinion, absurd. Likewise, my proud Dominican born and bred wife would be excluded, along with a multitude of other equally qualified folks. To the supporters of this proposal, the fresh-off-the-boat Albertan emigre with six months under her belt is somehow more qualified that Junot Diaz...That's just silly.

This is the internet, the wild west of information. Anyone who has frequented this site for any length of time and who is not a complete idiot, knows that the credo to follow here is 'Reader Beware.' There are many trolls lurking here and negativity is rife. So consider the information carefully. Consider who is saying it, how they are saying it, whether what they are saying is supported by independent fact, etc. If you don't do that, you get what you deserve.

The fact is the Dominican Republic has a huge diaspora and any website, in English, about the Dominican Republic, is by definition going to attract those in the diaspora. If a cedula carrying Dominican forum is what is desired, my advice is to learn Spanish very well because there are no doubt countless such sites already in existence, in the DR, on .do domains, by Dominicans, for Dominicans.

My two cents, leave dr1.com alone.

And why would Junot Diaz and other Dominicans who were born on the island, hold dual citizenship
and own properties be excluded? After all we are citizens and are more than qualified to offer advice
about all things Dominican.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As i understand it, it will be more like a 'Living Here' type thing...

a very useful tool for would be residents and visitors, .....

Even residents need help on occasion..........

The fact that we are a minority here seems to frustrate some

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
My point is that you don't necessarily have to live there to give advice on things a person is qualified to give.

Some are able to give better advice than others. Just because someone may currently live there
does not mean the advice is better.

From what I understand it says residents and citizens, it made no distinction whether someone currently lives there or not.

But if a separate forum is what a few want, go for it.

Last edited:

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
And why would Junot Diaz and other Dominicans who were born on the island, hold dual citizenship
and own properties be excluded? After all we are citizens and are more than qualified to offer advice
about all things Dominican.

I don't know, this isn't my idea, I am not sure what the threshold credentials would be... I agree, everyone has something to offer.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Ok, I did not understand that.

I guess questions would still be answered on the regular board?

Yes, questions would still be answered on the regular board. This is just meant for a few who feel that since they live there only their advice is better.

Let them have their fun. We'll just sit back and watch.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.