A New DR1 Forum?

Requires 3 votes, read first post prior to voting!

• YES: I object to the creation of the proposed forum

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • NO: I support the creation of the proposed forum

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • YES: I would request access

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • NO: I wouldn't request access

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I support a LIMITED OPEN forum

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • I support FULLY RESTRICTED forum

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think there are a lot of 'hip shooters' that detract from the quality of the advice.

A residents' only group will include residing Doms.... by definition.... and cedula holders.
Basically, it's a cedula holder group.

The advice will be current, germane...
GRamon says BS will still appear.... it may very well............
but I bet the level goes waaaay down
No more need for rubber boots to wade thru the crap.

The lack of solid advice is a disservice to those seeking real answers.

Personally, I enjoy helping/contributing.
DR1 has saved my a$$ more than once and i hope I have saved at least one.

My reception is so bad now, I cannot get back to pages 3 & 4 to read.
So, if I've duplicated......... lo siento.

Whoever came up with this idea ahs DR1's best interest at heart
By eliminating the unfounded chatter..........IMO,
not humble opinion, just my opinion

Well as Robert said, find 25 residents with proof and a moderator and you can go chit chat with each other. ;)

Now who's going to answer visitor questions since this is a news and travel website?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The hard core residents will answer Anna............ that's the whole idea.

Solid bona fide, take to the bank advice

any one else can answer too.........
you can choose between an answer from Atlanta or one from Santiago

your choice... choose your forum...
amateur or resident

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The hard core residents will answer Anna............ that's the whole idea.

Solid bona fide, take to the bank advice

any one else can answer too.........
you can choose between an answer from Atlanta or one from Santiago

your choice... choose your forum...
amateur or resident

But that is what we have now, choose your forum which I've lost track of how many we now have. How many times do we have to remind people that the legal forum is not for relationship advice? Residents don't always agree how things are or should be done.

Went to check and we have 43 forums including sub forums

Last edited:

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I don't like this idea for many reasons. Any attempts to limit access to those with a cedula or some sort of authentic credentials will harm the quality of the website and the information contained therein. I discovered dr1.com through Junot Diaz. I think he would be excluded from this new message board service and by the sound of it many supporters of this idea would think that would be a good thing.

To them, Junot Diaz's foreign residence, dilutes his authority. That is, in my humble opinion, absurd. Likewise, my proud Dominican born and bred wife would be excluded, along with a multitude of other equally qualified folks. To the supporters of this proposal, the fresh-off-the-boat Albertan emigre with six months under her belt is somehow more qualified that Junot Diaz...That's just silly.

This is the internet, the wild west of information. Anyone who has frequented this site for any length of time and who is not a complete idiot, knows that the credo to follow here is 'Reader Beware.' There are many trolls lurking here and negativity is rife. So consider the information carefully. Consider who is saying it, how they are saying it, whether what they are saying is supported by independent fact, etc. If you don't do that, you get what you deserve.

The fact is the Dominican Republic has a huge diaspora and any website, in English, about the Dominican Republic, is by definition going to attract those in the diaspora. If a cedula carrying Dominican forum is what is desired, my advice is to learn Spanish very well because there are no doubt countless such sites already in existence, in the DR, on .do domains, by Dominicans, for Dominicans.

My two cents, leave dr1.com alone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, the point is that there is considered to be a lot of erroneous information & answers.
From not so knowledgeable posters who refute the answers of those actually have done

I repeat...
look at the disbelievers on the SDQ thread who challenge or offer alternatives to ju10's recent trip.

The guy goes thru Migracion in the morning, reports in the afternoon and his report is challenged.

What poor traveler wouldn't be confused ??

repeat again.......
what is the purpose of the Off Topic forum in your News/Travel DR1?
serves no purpose but amusement.......

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
As AnnaC pointed out.....this is also in part a travel forum and from my readings some valuable insights have come from people who have come here on vacation or spent a few months travelling around this country. Not all residents get about as much as some of these visitors.

I value their input and equally their appreciation of travel ditties such as those recently expressed in relation to posts by 'kipling'.

The good, the bad and the ugly of this country and it's secrets and rules or rather lack of rules are there to be shared by all.

Neither do I like some of the pointless comments posted on good threads nor insults thrown by some but that is for moderators to tackle...it's an open forum and that is what you get.

(I got categorized as being a Mexican by someone with a viperous pen)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
repeat again.......
what is the purpose of the Off Topic forum in your News/Travel DR1?
serves no purpose but amusement.......

Yes that is a very new forum that people begged for so they could say what they wanted about any topic that isn't DR related. Some even said they would pay to enter. Well Robert finally gave in and a new forum was created. Unfortunately the behavior in there has spilled into other forums. Again people don't look to see what forum they are in. Again, the OT forum was created on the demands and wishes of the members. See how well that worked out. ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Always room for improvement

In this case , I think the old adage,
If it ain't broke..........

Does not apply.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The only thing I think might be useful is if there was some sort of classification of the posters by their knowledge and expertise of a particular area. I am thinking of a thread a while ago by someone wanting to a driving route from Santiago to Las Terrenas and some of the replies were ludicrous, sending the OP to and through Santo Domingo out eastbound and up the Las Americas Samana highway, and others sent him up to the north coast and along the coast, rather than the direct route straight across the middle of the country. The only information posters have about each other is the number of posts and the more you have does not necessarily make you more informed about the country. We have aviation experts, Spanish experts, cookery experts, economic experts, legal experts, medical experts even sanky experts and all of those plus others might be useful to highlight next to the number of posts to enable people to decide on the quality of the information given.

Matilda

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My two cents, leave dr1.com alone.

Dr1 isn't changing, this is just an effort to add one more forum to the 43 (AnnaC) that already exist making it 44. I'm pretty sure that there won't be a drop in posts in any of the ongoing threads. I don't expect the world to end if a new forum is created nor do I expect that the questions-answers-chatchat in the other forums to will be impacted at all. Sounds like some think this is a blueprint to change all of DR1, that's clearly not the case. If this new forum was created tomorrow, I can't see any way that anyone would be negatively impacted.

There are prerequisites that need to be satisfied before positing in off-topic and I don't see anyone complaining about that. What's one more forum? If you are not interested in the new one, then you'll still have the 43 others to choose from.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I would say nixing politics, race and religion across the board including OT would help a lot... :)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hey, it can always be set up and blown away if it doesn't work.

I personally think it would be much less active than the existing board (duh!) and folks will migrate back to where there's more activity.

Off topic could be nixed too, for that matter. (I think)
Now why would DR1 want to nix Off topic? The highest amount of post counts are in OT.
Take a look at a couple of recent threads discussing mostly race. One of them has over 600 posts and the other is over 300
posts. Granted, 580 posts are from the same three members arguing with each other. The other one is 250 posts of 1 person arguing with himself. ( I think?)
Leave OT for the people who like to argue. It somewhat keeps them out of the regular forums.
We can all choose which posts we want to read and which members we want to block.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I would say nixing politics, race and religion across the board including OT would help a lot... :)

For the most part I ignore those types of posts. It would be too easy for me to be sucked into an argument. I don't want to be known as an internet hag. :devious:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, not so easy to ignore anymore nowadays since this sh*t is to find across the board...

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Now who's going to answer visitor questions since this is a news and travel website?

This is a very strong point. How do people swoop in to pose a quick, but important question? On a side note, these Polls are incredible!! I'm voting 'No', but betting much more than I can afford to lose on 'Yes'!!!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The "snowbirds" where will they fit in?

We don't belong anywhere ;)

Dare I mention "Snowmen"? :laugh:

As has been pointed out, there are Dominican message boards, why change this one.

The vote is not going to be accurate and reflect the opinions of many members that perhaps only view DR1 when they are here or planning to return to the D.R. I feel a large majority of members will not be aware of this poll and thus not get the chance to voice their opinion.

If you follow the posts, you will notice that there is a very "SMALL" percentage of members that are posting, the names of which vary by season.

The poll may not represent a majority of members.

If the final vote count is not high, then it justifies my doubts as to it representing a majority of members.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ah shucks..... i had already collected 9 diffrent cedula #'s to join the new forum..... drat ;) ;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Another objection to the poll is that one must vote on 2 of the 3 options that both choices are not applicable if you vote against the creation of the proposed forum.

That makes choice 2 and 3 of the poll bias !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 5, 2007
I favor it.......

too many times a resident will post something that he/she experienced yesterday and a visitor form last year will contradict -
Oh, that didn't happen to me...
And then an argument ensues.

The new news the resident posted (potentially very valuable) get buried in the chit chat.

Witness ju10's recent trips at SDQ... many contradict him.
Hesus, he went through 12 flights in the past week.... he knows of which he speaks, but last March's traveler will over rule him.

Residents will be giving fresh, accurate insight to visitors - snowbirds, 1 weekers

I see it as 'expert' vs 'amateur' advice/knowledge.

Count me in

Residents will be giving fresh, accurate insight to visitors - snowbirds, 1 weekers

How do you expect this to work if visitors - snowbirds, 1 weekers don't have access
to the forum?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Another objection to the poll is that one must vote on 2 of the 3 options that both choices are not applicable if you vote against the creation of the proposed forum.

That makes choice 2 and 3 of the poll bias !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to vote last night but couldnt find three choices for my NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.