A Typical Accident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
You must NOT drive! You don't pull out until the coast is clear!!
SUV's fault, 100%!!
like previously posted, there are many many places where you would need someone standing in the road to guide you out.......

here next to playa laguna in sosua there is a ferreteria which doesn't have sight of the oncoming traffic. trucks and cars continually just pull out onto the street in front of me,

A moto is not considered a danger to a car as much as another oncoming car.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I actually witnessed this accident, and the stupidity of the moto caused his own death and the poor gringo will probably have to pay
Just before it happened the #$#$#$%^ idiot moto blew by me at over 100kph, and the first thing I thought was what a ****3n idiot, an accident looking for a place to happen.....well I watch him as he hit the SUV smash the windshield and put a big dent in the roof where it connects to the windshield and go flying through the air.....the driver of the SUV was a gringo and when he got out he really looked distraught.....

The SUV entered the street when the moto was well over 100 yards away, (thats a football field long), had the moto been going at a proper speed there wouldn't have been an accident, but at the rate he was going no way to avoid it.....The driver of the SUV probably couldn't judge the speed of the stupid moto and thought he had enough room and time to cross the lane....But as I said, it was the stupidity of the idiot on the moto that caused his own death and by all laws and rules the SUV is at fault, but its just too bad that he has to pay for another persons stupidity.....

My thoughts not yours.......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I actually witnessed this accident, and the stupidity of the moto caused his own death and the poor gringo will probably have to pay
Just before it happened the #$#$#$%^ idiot moto blew by me at over 100kph, and the first thing I thought was what a ****3n idiot, an accident looking for a place to happen.....well I watch him as he hit the SUV smash the windshield and put a big dent in the roof where it connects to the windshield and go flying through the air.....the driver of the SUV was a gringo and when he got out he really looked distraught.....

The SUV entered the street when the moto was well over 100 yards away, (thats a football field long), had the moto been going at a proper speed there wouldn't have been an accident, but at the rate he was going no way to avoid it.....The driver of the SUV probably couldn't judge the speed of the stupid moto and thought he had enough room and time to cross the lane....But as I said, it was the stupidity of the idiot on the moto that caused his own death and by all laws and rules the SUV is at fault, but its just too bad that he has to pay for another persons stupidity.....

there would still have been no accident if the SUV had not entered the roadway. even if we concede that the moto was going at a rate of speed which was inappropriate for the conditions, the fault still lies squarely with the vehicle which goes across the intersection. when an accident such as this happens in the USA, the vehicle which crosses the path of oncoming traffic is usually ticketed for improper lane change. it is that simple. i am not sure about Dominican road traffic law (if such a thing exists), but the SUV is wrong here. the "poor gringo" messed up. no way to avoid the accident? of course there was. just stay put until the bike passed.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
there would still have been no accident if the SUV had not entered the roadway. even if we concede that the moto was going at a rate of speed which was inappropriate for the conditions, the fault still lies squarely with the vehicle which goes across the intersection. when an accident such as this happens in the USA, the vehicle which crosses the path of oncoming traffic is usually ticketed for improper lane change. it is that simple. i am not sure about Dominican road traffic law (if such a thing exists), but the SUV is wrong here. the "poor gringo" messed up. no way to avoid the accident? of course there was. just stay put until the bike passed.

I guess you didn't read where I said that it WAS the SUV's fault.......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess you didn't read where I said that it WAS the SUV's fault.......

you said "by all laws and rules" it was the SUV's fault. however, you have all this preamble about how fast the bike was going. that does not mean dick, because even though the biker is a nitwit to be driving that fast in that space, the SUV caused the accident. and yes, maybe the "poor gringo" will have to pay for causing the accident. in a case of contributory negligence, the SUV would be deemed to be 100% at fault.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Who said he was dead?

The rumor on the street is that the moto driver is on life support but is technically brain dead and will be disconnected. We know people who know this family. He was a good person who helped to take care of his mother.

Yes the gringo will pay and pay.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

There are times when the law and common sense do not agree. This is one of them.

While there is always reckless driving here, as I noticed of late more motos passing on the right at high rates of speed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The rumor on the street is that the moto driver is on life support but is technically brain dead and will be disconnected. We know people who know this family. He was a good person who helped to take care of his mother.
Yes the gringo will pay and pay.

it will be less if the guy dies. facts of life. and death.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This sort of accident will almost always involve head trauma. Victim will live for a few days as the brain swells. Outcome is usually fatal. Your brain cannot take the sort of forces involved in an accident like this without a helmet. With a helmet its broken bones and bruises. In cars its belts and bags that save lives. On a moto its helmets and body armor. btw, the reason that most US states require headlights to be turned on 24/7 on all motorcycles is that it improves visibility. The car never saw this guy speeding down the road. A speeding moto coming directly at you is difficult to see. I always rode with the brightest illegal bulb I could fit in my headlamp. Could not run it on hi beam unless I was moving as it would melt the plastic lens. Cars did not pull out in front of me.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
if you look at the video there is room for the moto to have gone behind the car and avoid the accident. The moto driver does not take any evasive action and goes straight into the car. Everyone who has ever rode a bike has had this exact thing happen to them when cars will pull out in front of you. Motorcycle riders with experience know that cars do not see them and act accordingly. You cannot trust any car to see you and to stay alive you drive accordingly.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I saw a show on TV about this type of crash.
The person can have "Target Fixation".
They involutarily steer in the direction they are looking instead of taking evasive actions.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
why is it that when they die they all were good persons, who loved their family, were hard workers. Not one was a usless drunk who didn't give squat.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
What is the maximum speed for motors in the DR?

Even when someone may be at fault if the other person drove on with a reasonable speed the impact would have been less.

Also even if a car had to stop and it didnt you gonna smack into it and afterwards says.. Its his fault..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This sort of accident will almost always involve head trauma. Victim will live for a few days as the brain swells. Outcome is usually fatal. Your brain cannot take the sort of forces involved in an accident like this without a helmet.

and this kind of brain damage does not have to fatal if the doctors know what to do. but likely no one really cared here.

why is it that when they die they all were good persons, who loved their family, were hard workers. Not one was a usless drunk who didn't give squat.

always. did you notice that the guy who lost his leg was at the verge of being singed to "grandes ligas"? and it was his birthday? i always hated this. would it be better if he lost leg on any other day? no, it would not.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Maybe I am missing something in this thread but I thought it was about a serious accident which has possibly has lead to loss of life, family misery and a guilty-feeling SUV driver (gringo or Dominican) but it has been ridiculed and laughed at by many posters. Could a little respect be given and appropriate Mods please clear out the drivel?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
if you look at the video there is room for the moto to have gone behind the car and avoid the accident.

You steer where you are looking. If you look at the car that's in your way, you'll hit it every time...

(sorry CC didn't see your comment)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cleaned up some of the most OT, and closing this for now. If there are any updates about the moto driver, etc., PM me and I will reopen.

Status
Not open for further replies.