american murdered in santiago

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, I'm sorry to hear about Randy's passing. May he RIP, and may those who killed him be caught quickly and handled.

It's both unfair and not productive to label an entire group of people. We all know shady expats, and Brent was killed by an American, but nobody on this board states that all gringos (including themselves) are scum.

Same goes for Dominicans. There are great folks, and there are people who should be put under the prison.

Sometimes I think the main problem with the super-negatives folks (we all know who they are) is misplaced expectations. They worked their jobs for years dreaming of their own "paradise," read and heard about how you can Live Like a King for 50 bucks a month, which includes a maid, a caribbean guitar player, and his impossibly fine 20 y.o. sister, who's been waiting for them her entire life (when she's not studying to become a doctor, that is).

Then, they got here, and learned that $1,000 isn't very much money at all, many things are - shockingly - more expensive and less reliable on a caribbean island, and the dirt-poor people they are hanging out with see them as an ATM machine with legs.

And suddenly, based on inaccurate expectations and a too-light-for-the-load budget, they find themselves fully, truly experiencing a "Milton Moment."

After all, paradise was lost because of poor choices, based on taking bad advice from shady characters. Such is life.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
First, I'm sorry to hear about Randy's passing. May he RIP, and may those who killed him be caught quickly and handled.

It's both unfair and not productive to label an entire group of people. We all know shady expats, and Brent was killed by an American, but nobody on this board states that all gringos (including themselves) are scum.

Same goes for Dominicans. There are great folks, and there are people who should be put under the prison.

Sometimes I think the main problem with the super-negatives folks (we all know who they are) is misplaced expectations. They worked their jobs for years dreaming of their own "paradise," read and heard about how you can Live Like a King for 50 bucks a month, which includes a maid, a caribbean guitar player, and his impossibly fine 20 y.o. sister, who's been waiting for them her entire life (when she's not studying to become a doctor, that is).

Then, they got here, and learned that $1,000 isn't very much money at all, many things are - shockingly - more expensive and less reliable on a caribbean island, and the dirt-poor people they are hanging out with see them as an ATM machine with legs.

And suddenly, based on inaccurate expectations and a too-light-for-the-load budget, they find themselves fully, truly experiencing a "Milton Moment."

After all, paradise was lost because of poor choices, based on taking bad advice from shady characters. Such is life.

Or they 'live' in DR full time and experience life as any typical Dominican would, who himself spends days whining about his beloved country.

The vast majority who complain about the negativity of some poster do not even live full time in DR, so go figure. They come knowing they are leaving, that alone is relief enough to make your days less stressful.

But, we've been here a million times, maybe this particular thread should after all be spared what usually follows.

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
Or they 'live' in DR full time and experience life as any typical Dominican would, who himself spends days whining about his beloved country.

The vast majority who complain about the negativity of some poster do not even live full time in DR, so go figure. They come knowing they are leaving, that alone is relief enough to make your days less stressful.

But, we've been here a million times, maybe this particular thread should after all be spared what usually follows.

We all know about DR shortcomings, what I fail to understand is why people who do NOT like the country or its people live or vacation in DR

If I don't like something I tend to avoid it

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
We all know about DR shortcomings, what I fail to understand is why people who do NOT like the country or its people live or vacation in DR

que babaro!!!!!

Last edited:

shorts

Dec 3, 2012

The concerning issue is that, according to Hillbilly's post, Randy didn't seem to be that type of person. Furthermore, he lived in a well-to-do neighborhood, and it just seems like a different story than the typical north coast tragedy where the guy had a chica conflict.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
The concerning issue is that, according to Hillbilly's post, Randy didn't seem to be that type of person. Furthermore, he lived in a well-to-do neighborhood, and it just seems like a different story than the typical north coast tragedy where the guy had a chica conflict.

Oh, I agree Randy's situation seems different. That comment was directed at the folks who primarily spend their time on DR1 for the near-exclusive purpose of complaining about everything, all the time. They don't seem to realize that gray cloud that's always over their head is largely their creation.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you react to it. It may be an old cliche, but it's still around for a reason.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Daft Remark

Oh, I agree Randy's situation seems different. That comment was directed at the folks who primarily spend their time on DR1 for the near-exclusive purpose of complaining about everything, all the time. They don't seem to realize that gray cloud that's always over their head is largely their creation.

Take me.
I complain at times. :paranoid:
Not much though. :cheeky:
However, I can't see a grey cloud above me. :rolleyes:
Should I?
Do I create grey clouds?

Let me ask my wife......

donP

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

People find themselves in DR for all kinds of reasons, not all are on full times vacation as most who have no issues are. If there are no ties then I agree, it doesn't make sense. But life isn't always like that, and I'm not naive enough to think all are able o flutter around the wold at will.

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
But life isn't always like that, and I'm not naive enough to think all are able o flutter around the wold at will.

Neither am I and I understand what you mean, but I still think the same. It has to be bad for one's health, life is too short

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Neither am I and I understand what you mean, but I still think the same. It has to be bad for one's health, life is too short

I think you'll find it is extremely common for people to have issues with where they live, wherever they live. Unhappy with government, society, employment, weather, whatever, people address the negatives of thier surroundings, that is just people. It would be ridiculous to whine about things you were content with, right?
Those of you suffering from Ostrich syndrome are only fooling yourselves, and so I see no reason to find those of us who are quite happy to discuss the realities with our heads above the sand so stressful, obviously we don't. It is not like we/they are making these things up. It is not as though these issues don't exist, they do. To say that you live in a different society because you choose to ignore it us ridiculous.
In essence you are saying to people 'ignore the negatives espects of Dominican society or you shouldn't be here'. And to be honest, people ignoring these issues in society is why society is in such a sh1t state. So that mentality has negative effect, with Ostrich syndrome you are indirectly contributing to the paralysis of the DR as a whole. And so just as you do not understand why people are happy to discuss the realities, I am just as confused by those of you who choose or do your best to ignore them.

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
I think you'll find it is extremely common for people to have issues with where they live, wherever they live. Unhappy with government, society, employment, weather, whatever, people address the negatives of thier surroundings, that is just people. It would be ridiculous to whine about things you were content with, right?
Those of you suffering from Ostrich syndrome are only fooling yourselves, and so I see no reason to find those of us who are quite happy to discuss the realities with our heads above the sand so stressful, obviously we don't. It is not like we/they are making these things up. It is not as though these issues don't exist, they do. To say that you live in a different society because you choose to ignore it us ridiculous.
In essence you are saying to people 'ignore the negatives espects of Dominican society or you shouldn't be here'. And to be honest, people ignoring these issues in society is why society is in such a sh1t state. So that mentality has negative effect, with Ostrich syndrome you are indirectly contributing to the paralysis of the DR as a whole. And so just as you do not understand why people are happy to discuss the realities, I am just as confused by those of you who choose or do your best to ignore them.

There's a fine line between being critical and being overcritical

a word to the wise...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

your first paragraph says it all. people complain about life wherever they are. i sat with a couple of Canadians for coffee yesterday, and they complained bitterly about the taxation, the excessive surveillance, the lack of personal freedoms, you name it. they said that there is no negative force in the DR which will propel them back to Canada. therefore, when people get the reflexive urge to tell others that if they don?t like it in the DR, then they should go home, just remember that it is human nature to complain, wherever you are.

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
your first paragraph says it all. people complain about life wherever they are. i sat with a couple of Canadians for coffee yesterday, and they complained bitterly about the taxation, the excessive surveillance, the lack of personal freedoms, you name it. they said that there is no negative force in the DR which will propel them back to Canada. therefore, when people get the reflexive urge to tell others that if they don?t like it in the DR, then they should go home, just remember that it is human nature to complain, wherever you are.

I like the way you put it