"Bad" Words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatamayo

Feb 16, 2005
The meaning of vaina.

The actual translation of "vaina" is the leafy wrapping that corn on the cob grows in. "Vaina" is just a slang word for "thing". It can be incorporated into everyday conversation when you can't find the right word.

Example:
Jose is screwing around trying to fix the car, stereo, lamp, etc etc and wasting time. One would say, "Hey Jose, stop trying to fix that thing."

In espanol:
"Oye Jose, deja de reparar esa vaina."

I hope this makes sense and helps you out.

BTW, "cabron" is another word for pimp.
Another word that is used in DR most commonly is "chulo" as in to denote something is cool. "Que chulo", How cool or very cool.
Those shoes look really cool. "Esos zapatos se ven muy chulo."
Now "chulo" in Ecuador or in other South American countries means pimp also. Go figure.

Another word that means vagina from what I've heard recently is "popola".
"Popola" literally translated is the poppy seed plant.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
Morena76 said:
I found out that culo meant @$$ after I was happily singing along to a song. When I was in Puerto Rico, I used the word cajones and my PR friend was shocked and told me that was very offensive. Is that true in DR also?

So I am a little confused. The word "culo/chulo" (I have no idea how to spell in Spanish) means @$$. I know culo=@$$ in Italian and Pitbull's song Chulo makes a more sense with the word @$$. BUT my boyfriend, who is slowly teaching me Spanish, says the word means vagina. Is it ever used in this context? Thanks!

gatamayo

Feb 16, 2005
To BisouBisou

"Culo" means the rear end of any person or @&& for those sensitive people on this forum. In Spanish the "CH" is always pronounced like the "cha" sound as in "Charles". Unlike the English language that the "CH" can sometimes sound like the letter "K". "Chulo" in some Spanish speaking countries means pimp but in DR it's slang for cool like I stated earlier.

Correction: Vaina as I later realized is misspelled. The correct spelling is with a "B", "baina". I have also learned from my dad whose is born and raised in Ecuador that "baina" is also the husk that pea pods and beans grow in.

I hope this helps.

George ;)

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
gatamayo said:
"Culo" means the rear end of any person or @&& for those sensitive people on this forum. In Spanish the "CH" is always pronounced like the "cha" sound as in "Charles". Unlike the English language that the "CH" can sometimes sound like the letter "K". "Chulo" in some Spanish speaking countries means pimp but in DR it's slang for cool like I stated earlier.

Correction: Vaina as I later realized is misspelled. The correct spelling is with a "B", "baina". I have also learned from my dad whose is born and raised in Ecuador that "baina" is also the husk that pea pods and beans grow in.

I hope this helps.

George ;)

Gatamayo,
Chulo in DR also means pimp as well as cool. For example there is a saying in the DR that goes "en pleito de chulo y cuero nadie se puede meter"

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
The correct spelling is...

gatamayo said:

I hope this helps.

George ;)

vaina for sheath,scabbard, pod. Hope this helps. Carlos

A

apostropheman

Stodgord said:
Gatamayo,
Chulo in DR also means pimp as well as cool. For example there is a saying in the DR that goes "en pleito de chulo y cuero nadie se puede meter"

ok, i'll bite! what does that mean in english? i understand most of the individual words but it doesn't make much sense to me as a saying.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Juan Carlos - sorry not sure if I am just unclear on your post...but are you saying pajaro is only used in CubaCuz I have heard it used in the DR a few times too.
But you are saying that maricon is a "stronger" word to use then pajaro? Like pajaro is more "politicaly correct"? (I am not questioning what you are saying at all, just asking to clarify for myself )"

NO, p?jaro is not only used in Cuba, it is used in the DR as well and perhaps in some other country. It is not a politically correct word- that would be gay, or a more neutral word would be homosexual. What I said was that maric?n is the real vulgar, bad word, so some people say p?jaro instead. Pato is also used. Pato and p?jaro are both pejorative terms, but maric?n is a stronger insult.

In M?xico, the real bad word for it is puto. Although maric?n means the same there too, it is not as strong a word as puto. Mexicans also use joto, which would be more like saying p?jaro for us. On the other hand, many in M?xico use the euphemism "p?jaro" to refer to the male sexual organ! In M?xico, the real bad word for penis is verga, which comes from Latin and is true to its roots and original meaning.

As far as the sexual act itself, in many countries of Latin America, coger is the slang word for it. NOt in Cuba or the DR, Spain and some other countries. But in much of Central America, Mexico, and Argentina, Uruguay etc. In Cuba in can be used in that context too, but it is not a bad word and most of the time it does not refer to sexual activity. In Cuba, the slang word for the sexual act is the same one used in the DR. Of the slang words used to refer to vulva in Cuba, the one I will mention here is papaya, which is the reason why we avoid calling the fruit by its true name and instead refer to it as "fruta bomba". In reference to its shape.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
apostropheman said:
ok, i'll bite! what does that mean in english? i understand most of the individual words but it doesn't make much sense to me as a saying.

Literally it means: Stay away from fights between a prostitute and her pimp.

Perhaps it is even applied to some other situations in life, as many sayings are, but that I can not state with certainty.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
gatamayo said:
The actual translation of "vaina" is the leafy wrapping that corn on the cob grows in. "Vaina" is just a slang word for "thing". It can be incorporated into everyday conversation when you can't find the right word.

Example:
Jose is screwing around trying to fix the car, stereo, lamp, etc etc and wasting time. One would say, "Hey Jose, stop trying to fix that thing."

In espanol:
"Oye Jose, deja de reparar esa vaina."

I hope this makes sense and helps you out.

BTW, "cabron" is another word for pimp.
Another word that is used in DR most commonly is "chulo" as in to denote something is cool. "Que chulo", How cool or very cool.
Those shoes look really cool. "Esos zapatos se ven muy chulo."
Now "chulo" in Ecuador or in other South American countries means pimp also. Go figure.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
How interesting. Most everyone i know says Que Chido, or Que chingon...not sure if thats how you spell it but thats how i was taught to say something is cool. Also poca madre but if you say it a certain way it can mean also that someone has bad intentions or did something not nice.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
juancarlos said:
Juan Carlos - sorry not sure if I am just unclear on your post...but are you saying pajaro is only used in CubaCuz I have heard it used in the DR a few times too.
But you are saying that maricon is a "stronger" word to use then pajaro? Like pajaro is more "politicaly correct"? (I am not questioning what you are saying at all, just asking to clarify for myself )"

NO, p?jaro is not only used in Cuba, it is used in the DR as well and perhaps in some other country. It is not a politically correct word- that would be gay, or a more neutral word would be homosexual. What I said was that maric?n is the real vulgar, bad word, so some people say p?jaro instead. Pato is also used. Pato and p?jaro are both pejorative terms, but maric?n is a stronger insult.

In M?xico, the real bad word for it is puto. Although maric?n means the same there too, it is not as strong a word as puto. Mexicans also use joto, which would be more like saying p?jaro for us. On the other hand, many in M?xico use the euphemism "p?jaro" to refer to the male sexual organ! In M?xico, the real bad word for penis is verga, which comes from Latin and is true to its roots and original meaning.

As far as the sexual act itself, in many countries of Latin America, coger is the slang word for it. NOt in Cuba or the DR, Spain and some other countries. But in much of Central America, Mexico, and Argentina, Uruguay etc. In Cuba in can be used in that context too, but it is not a bad word and most of the time it does not refer to sexual activity. In Cuba, the slang word for the sexual act is the same one used in the DR. Of the slang words used to refer to vulva in Cuba, the one I will mention here is papaya, which is the reason why we avoid calling the fruit by its true name and instead refer to it as "fruta bomba". In reference to its shape.
Sorry being that I spent alot of time in mexico, i have never heard anyone refer to the sexual organ as pajaro. Most say verga or Pene. Verga is more common especially if you are pissed off and they you might say A la verga!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
mofi said:
Sorry being that I spent alot of time in mexico, i have never heard anyone refer to the sexual organ as pajaro. Most say verga or Pene. Verga is more common especially if you are pissed off and they you might say A la verga!

I have, but only as a euphemistic expression in order to avoid saying verga, the real bad word for it. Mexicans sometimes refer to it as " el pajarito". Verga is the universal bad word, which in spite of it, is used a lot as in " Vete a la verga" and other expressionos which simply mean "go to hell". Sometimes mexicans also refer to it as " la riata" and many other words are used when you don't want to say verga. As I said, of all the words which today are considered vulgar or in bad taste, verga is the one which truly retains its original meaning, but it became a "bad" word over the centuries, at least in Mexico and Central America. In ancient times, carajo meant the same and co?o still retains the same meaning in Spain, for the vulva. Co?o also has its roots in Latin and the English word c.nt also comes from it.

Pene is only used in polite conversation or in television. The same applies to the words homosexual or gay. Although gay is widely used today too.

In Mexico they also use the word panocha for vulva. But, in other parts of Mexico, panocha is also a sweet!

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Yes i have heard panocha. Don't ever use it but I have heard it alot.
Cono is also comon there as well.

Morena76

May 10, 2005
Now I'm confused...

gatamayo said:
"Chulo" in some Spanish speaking countries means pimp but in DR it's slang for cool like I stated earlier.

Is this another word that has multiple meanings? I've dated Latin guys, not just from DR, who would refer to me as "mi chula." A Dominican girl I know said people also use that term to refer to woman whose stomach sticks out. So I'm just trying to clarify, based on other posts...do chulo and chula mean different things?

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
apostropheman said:

Okay, the explanation is simple. It is the same principle as not getting involved in fight/argument between husband and wife 'cause at the end of the daythe egg will be on your face. Another way you can see it is a Pimp between his woman and a good samaritan comes to her rescue just to find out that in a short time they are back together like nothing had happened.

May 31, 2005
suarezn said:
Peaches: Maricon IS the real word for homosexual in The DR. Pajaro is just a slang that means the same thing. Neither one is any better than the other IMO. Pajaro is definitely not politically correct...
Neither one is better than the other but maricon is more vulgar than pajaro. It's just that it has become such a staple in our vocabulary that we don't even look at it that way.

May 31, 2005
gatamayo said:
I was talking to my mother about this and she says that the reason why everyone was so mad at Glory and her song la popola was because popola is actually referring to a young girl's private parts. I think that popola is just a female's private parts, whether young or old. I would like to know what you all think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.