Bavaro area NO supermarkets???

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For La Romana/Higuey/Santo Domingo runs we east coasters should organise a food coop or at least share a vehicle to save fuel. But let's wait and see whether Pola does indeed open on schedule, and when it does, whether it improves the situation to the extent that we no longer need to make these trips.

La Marqueta is getting worse and worse - so many things not in stock, grubby premises and poor service. Several people I've spoken to suspect they are on the verge of giving up completely with the threat of Pola opening nearby.

Supermercado Super Pola, Rep?blica Dominicana. Lo m?s fresco siempre

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Anxiously waiting for the new highway to SD!

Every 2 weeks Saturday-morning to Megacentro (Jumbo, Ferr. Americana etc.etc.) and all other pleasures of the big city which we don't have here in little, pathetic and artifical Bavaro....

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Here in Jarabacoa, we find more stuff every month that goes by. In some way, people start to ask about some supplies that are not available and a few weeks later, you'll find them in the counter. Haven't been able to convince the supermercado's though to bring in some really nice Brie or goat cheese :bunny:

At the veggies market, if we see on the rare occasion, parsley (the flat one), spring onions, we buy the whole lot (to the big surprise of the farmer alway's lol),chop it up and put it in the freezer because we never know when again available and that can be months later.

Its a good idea Chiri to try to carpool for doing shopping. We do it here also sometimes with some friends if we want to go to Santiago (Pricemart or National) or to Santo Domingo's Carrefour.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
We could make bets on what will open first, the new highway or the Pola.

We could also bet that Pola will not cost almost US$100 mil more to build;)

Santo Domingo.- Public Works minister Victor Diaz R?a on Wednesday said the cost for the construction of the Coral Highway increased by US$88 million because the size of the work duplicated. The official says from the original design of two lanes it was decided to expand the highway to four, from the eastern city La Romana to the resort region Punta Cana.
The road?s original budget of US$272.3 million ballooned to US$360.7 million, while the projected construction time was also raised from 24 to 32 months.
There will also be a toll payment for those using this highway, however the number of tolls are YTBD.:surprised

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We could also bet that Pola will not cost almost US$100 mil more to build;)

Santo Domingo.- Public Works minister Victor Diaz R?a on Wednesday said the cost for the construction of the Coral Highway increased by US$88 million because the size of the work duplicated. The official says from the original design of two lanes it was decided to expand the highway to four, from the eastern city La Romana to the resort region Punta Cana.
The road?s original budget of US$272.3 million ballooned to US$360.7 million, while the projected construction time was also raised from 24 to 32 months.
There will also be a toll payment for those using this highway, however the number of tolls are YTBD.:surprised

Wanna bet on that one too? ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Punta Cana Village does have a minimarket - Delicana. Apparently there is also one in Cap Cana, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes.

Bread - that's another sore point. I've practically given up the stuff. Las Le?as used to do a very good "pan campesino" that they distributed to Manzanillo and La Marqueta but that has now stopped. Last time we went to Las Le?as we bought something that had more in common with styrofoam than anything else.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good overview, generally, milos. My point would be that they call themselves supermarkets - out of delusions of grandeur or whatever - but that by most people's definitions they are minimarkets.

eta: Delicana is by the Bana beauty salon in Galerias Punta Cana.

Reactions: miloskorac
Feb 7, 2007
My question again, and borad might be interested in answer, from PC residents?

Is the supermarket in Plaza 3 Center (Carretera Riu-Arena Gorda) open yet, and if not, what is the scheduled opening date? The thing looks huge from the outside... ???

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Preconstruction of "the-only-big-size-supermarket-as-you-expect-to-see is Super Pola, Plaza san Juan, on the crossroad Coco Loco (crazy Coconut).

Big supermarkets in Bavaro (as we don't have anything in Bavaro to compare with, except in other towns, cities and distant countries) we call them Supermercado:

Plaza Sol, Supermercado Marqueta, when coming from Veron, Pueblo Bavaro or just infront of Plaza Sol, Residencial Bavaro Punta Cana. Watch for the holes in the asphalt infront of the parking, that is actually good, before when there were no holes, cars and trucks were going 100 miles per hour. Moderate waiting time.

Plaza Cueva Taina supermercado, that used to left from old good Italian supermarket (ooops, middle size mini market), is one borring minimarket with terrible vegetables. One cashier, slow.

Plaza El Dorado, Chicholela supermercado, good one, expensive, one cashier, fast.

El Cortecito Supermercado, this one was terrible a year ago, stinking as hell, now only the owners are chainged.

Colmado Alex (free delivery) - I added minimarket (colmado) in this group as this is the only colmado that will do free delivery to your door, even calling for 5 gallons of water. So, this is small colmado, but covering Big. 809 552 0786.

Plaza Mayoral Supermercado (realeza) 24h, more or less okay, minimarket type of store, lazy one operator, will try to trick you if you buy in Euros.

Plaza Estrella Supermercado, busy, three cashiers (one of them is child called "coundmoney"), fresh things, okay market store. They do big delivery (more then 15K pesos, I think...never did it).

Plaza Rivieras Supermercado, this one is next to plaza Estrella, small minimarket, one cashier, slow, slow, slow, nobody speaks English, hardly Spanish.

Bomba Texaco Minimarket (24h), this is for emergency buy, on the gas station, elevated prices.

Supermercado Caribe, its not so big, but it has high ceilings. They will try to trick you with vegetables (you take one, then you have to take two more, and pay higher price). Otherwise, nothing special, slow, three cashiers.

If not, go to Higuey in Supermercado Iberia, twice cheapper then in Bavaro. Or better Supermercado Jumbo in La Romana...This are only big Supermarkets, Iberia is in Higuey (and there are two more), Jumbo is in La Romana.

In Bavaro you have to learn how and where to find what you are looking for.

Two bakeries, one on the Gas Station, Las Le?as (better one).
Bakery New York, in El Dorado, (worse one, more expensive, slow).

In Cap Cana, Punta Cana Resort (and in Punta Cana Village) there are no Supermarkets or minimarkets.

There are around 500 - 1500 minimarkets Colmados in the zone Veron to Bavaro.

Term Minimercado does not exsits in DR.

great listing,
I just want to add the german Sausage Place in Cortecito, right aside Plaza nautica, the groundfloor corner location.
they get every Friday Fresh Bred delivered from the Northcoast and they keep it frozen in the cooling quarter. great spot for Hams and Sausages, i like their quality on the sold stuff.

happy shopping
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Where is Delicana exactly in Punta Cana Village?
There should be some minimarket opening in Ciudad de Canas, Las Canas Homesites (advanced preconstruction),
and there should be deli/supermarket in Marina.

yes, there is a Deli at the Marina, at the Cap Cana Marina.
I don't remember the name, been there in June when we fished the Tournament there.
when walking the steps up from the Mainpiers/Docks it is located on the other side , where the Piers for the very large Boats are, in the middle of 2 other restaurants.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Plaza Tres Center, is that Shopping Mall, where the Supermercado Caribe is, working a lot of time, the owner is changed, and is not such a super, super as it was at the beginning.

Plaza Tres Center is located in front of the ceased Water Park.

exactly,
when Supermercado caribe opened I have been there quiet often for shopping, fresh products and good variety, but since the ownership changed i stopped to buy anything there, several bad experiences within a short time and I've been gone, lol.
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
Mike, you will have to get me a list of (shopping places) in PC. I want sausages (the European stuff, bratwurst etc. gooood porky sausages). I want European Bread!!!

I started to cook my country's stuff (food) (found a great website with good recipis from my country, Learn to cook Slovak food - Slovak recipes and Slovak language lessons). My Dominicans do not eat much of the stuff I cook (not even my kid, but she'll get used to it NOW... she HAS TO , or ELSE.... :) ), but I get "hartura" of this food I cook myself! I am a self-proclaimed European chef in Higuey! I don't care that they do not like this stuff, I tell them "quedense con su bendito arroz blanco y salami con fritos" ... I will eat GOOD! I am in revolt, no more f***g rice! It makes me fat. Since I stopped eating rice I lost 30 pounds! Now I eat rice only two times per month, once in "locrio de cerdo" and once in "asopao". That two lunches have to be cooked? I don't give a dam' now! I LOVE my diet now! I don't have to wait for X-mas to visit my MOMA to eat good!

Don't take me wrong. Dominicans have some great food, I LOVE well-done locrio de cerdo, SALCOCHO (with all viveres and 3-4 types of carne) or chivo, arroz con leche, dulce de coco, habichuela con dulce, chicharon de cerdo, etc .... but the VARIETY!!! it gets bland after some time eating the same stuff over and over!

Told the wify... learn to cook like my moma!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
great listing,
I just want to add the german Sausage Place in Cortecito, right aside Plaza nautica, the groundfloor corner location.
they get every Friday Fresh Bred delivered from the Northcoast and they keep it frozen in the cooling quarter. great spot for Hams and Sausages, i like their quality on the sold stuff.

happy shopping
Mike

Thanks Mike - what type(s) of bread?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
all kinds of Bread, white, brown, black, the ones with a dozen corns in it etc.
I did not test them all, because myself I love the simplest small white Broetchen, the most basic of German Breds, but usually not available here, lol, when there at the Shop I buy at least a Dozen and they last just 2 days, lol.
in case of Hams I tested almost all, even that they switch variety and I often find an other one I didn't had before, they been til today all Fantastic, including the Schawarzwaelder Schinken, heck, the first half pound of that one which I took to test it, I eat it within 2 Days and did not need any Bred for that, ha ha ha.
the Sauseages they have in many Variations and from different Meats, my 3 fav's are the long big Bratwurst, the same big Sized red Ones and the a bit smaller white Weisswurst, perfect to just boil in water and eat with a Broetchen and a good German Mustard.
they have Mustards of all Kinds, including the Sweet ones for thw typical Weisswurst Fest.
all the stuff is of course sold per pound and the Lady there, Dominican, but also speaking some english, she cut's you from the big Ham pieces any quantity You want and styled like You want it, thick or thin slices, and You can test there, too.
btw they also offer warm dishes there to eat right there, their Schnitzel is just perfect.
the Boss Lady running the Store is always present herself and she is really friendly and willing to explain what is what and how it should get cooked etc, I hear that always when shopping there and listening to her explanation to non German Customers, ha ha ha.
the products come all from the Northcoast, the products in the Cans like the great Leberwurst are Imported, not done on the Northcoast, and she tells that right away when you ask about the different products.
Rubio,
you are not by any coincedence in Bavaro this afternoon?
I will leave for a Bavaro Sweep to pay some Bills in around half an hour and I will stay for some hours in the Bavaro area, on my way home I will pay the Shop a Visit of course, that's lately Standard Procedure when in bavaro, and if it's only for some more Bred, ha ha, you have my number
cheers
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Oh, yes, that is the place in Plaza Globalia (new one), food is not expensive, specially Vienna Steak is super.
They have also German beer, and Milka Chocolates.
When buying a steak ask for German mostard, this is a must mostard * M&M

right,
exactly the Place, Plaza Globalia, the darn named slipped my mind when posting abobe.
and the Vienna Steak you talk about is exactly the "Schnitzel" i meant, ha ha ha.
their products are top quality, that's what brought me there in the 1st place, and for the quality they sell I do not find them expensive compared to low quality stores where they sell you 'spicy german mustard' which is stored there since very long over the expiration date and spices no more than any grain of white rice, lol.
I bought several different German Mustards from their Store within a few weeks and their 'spicy' quality been perfectly of a fresh product on each Brand.
actually I am sitting at the Corner bar on the wireless in Bavaro answering some e-mails on the Road, but in an hour on the way home I will step by there and at least get some fresh Bred, pretty sure I can not stand to just watch some Hams there, too, lol.

NOTICE for Bavaro/PC Residents:
that same store does on October 9th 2010 a Octoberfest,
Weisswurst and Schnitzels etc etc til the overblow, ha ha

I will be there

Mike

Reactions: miloskorac

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I was in Cortecito earlier today,
at Banca barrican to exchange Dollars in Pesos, 36.90 today, always best rates,
I realized the New Sign with a name like "Alila" or similar, but I did not bother to enter and have a sneak, maybe next time.
I am not a Golfer,
but I am always in for a good Schnitzel or Weisswurst with great Mustard and of course a Top Beer.
btw,
great Schnitzels are also Served still at the Bitburger Place of Ricardo at Plaza de Brisas in Bavaro, Avenida Espania between Plaza bavaro and Friusa, for me and the Mrs the Fav Place for a Schnitzel every other Week.
for Tania the natural Variation and for me the One with the "Salsa de Onjos", he he.
darn,
writing about it brings me close to call the Wife and tell her to skip dinner because I go to Eat ""On The Road""
mmmmh
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
reat recipe,
Balcan Cuisine is anyways a good one, much appreciated over GB or any US American Restaurant,
hey guys, no offense meant, just my own taste.
Cevapcici is great,
even We Germans know that good stuff, lol.
Mike

Jan 3, 2003
Dominicans eating German food?!

great Schnitzels are also Served still at the Bitburger Place of Ricardo at Plaza de Brisas in Bavaro, Avenida Espania between Plaza bavaro and Friusa, for me and the Mrs the Fav Place for a Schnitzel every other Week.

Imagine Dominicans eating these products. If they are, they ain't your run of the mill "barrio" Dominicans, LOL!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Imagine Dominicans eating these products. If they are, they ain't your run of the mill "barrio" Dominicans, LOL!

?????
My Wife and the 3 Boys I would name Pure Dominicans, despite various passports, even that I hold myself some more, lol.
and they are the ones who pressure Me, the German, to pass by the Bitburger Place at Ricardo to get a schnitzel, lolol.
and they are the full Dominican Campesinos like I am myself a full German Campesino.
You just have to start to really LIVE in the new world,
some visits to a campo and some rice with beans and fried chicken at a barrio colmado do sure not make Local,
such does just make Gringitos Feel a bit of Local before they go back home to live in their Residency or shop for Hamburgers etc, lol.
Hey R&B,
that been sure not meant as a sidehit to you in personal,
it just came out on the theme after quoting your last post with the Dominican Run on Schnitzels in Bavaro, ha ha
cheers
Mike