Bavaro area NO supermarkets???

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I guess that Q been answered in the last posts above, no further news on that.
a real supermarket in cap cana would be News to me, yes there is a minimarket and a Deli, but I would not name that a Supermarket, and the Rates there are of course Top of the Line for the usual average Product.
Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is very little activity in Cap Cana, no chance a big chain would even consider opening there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Supermercado Nacional (Punta Cana Village) and possibly Supermercado Pola (Centro San Juan, Coco Loco Crossing) seem to be on course for a December opening. Both are in the process of recruiting staff.

Like Mike, apart from the minimarket, I haven't heard of a supermarket in Cap Cana.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Chiri,
and that's what we wrote in the past posts during the last weeks above anyways, no ""New"" developments that I would have heard of.
yeah Richie,
a Supermarket at Cap cana would be at the actual Situation of the Development/Project like a Hole in the Water, lol.
We are happy that they finally consider PC as a whole Area worthwhile to plan and open such thingy, of course located towards the 2 ends of the "populated" potential Customers Area, on the south at Punta Cana Village and the Pola at Coco Loco/where Bavaro Begins, the mainstreet where those in Bavaro living potential Customers can easily reach the spot within 10-20 minutes.
I am lucky to live in the Middle of both,
10 minutes to Pola and 15 minutes to drive to Nacional/Jumbo at PCVillage.
If they open soon I would not complain about a thing.
Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Actually Mike - when I was in Punta Cana in the summer and drove over to Cap Cana area - there Is a small village-like area wanna be eventually like punta cana village - . there is a mexican restaurant there, there are also other small shops and a rather large space which stated "SUPERMERCADO" on the window. Who will be going there - I am not sure but I heard it was owned by the owner of Delicana in PC Village. So there was something - maybe you should check for yourself before you say no.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Jeb,
I don't deny that there are Minimarkets, they are everywhere, including cap cana, in Bavaro you can't drive 150 meters along the Mainroad without passing one or 2 or 3 of 'em, but to name such a real supermarket where you could do a week's or month's complete shopping??
Noap, not even close.
when finlly Pola and Nacional are Open they will be the 1st Real Supermarkets and I just hope they have really all the products available as they sell in their large shops in St Dgo etc.
we may find out soon.
til then, still 2-3 times per month Iberia in Higuey.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Milosh,
such is often typical Bavaro Shopping Life, ha ha.
Hey, instead of Supermercado caribe You should have bought the Light Bulps at the ferreteria across the Street, should also be cheaper, also the Americana there has a good selection of 'em.
Mike

Reactions: waytogo

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
No Peter,
somewhere some Posts back was written that Pola opens in February if I recall correctly. the San Juan Center opened, but still no Super Pola.
2nd next week the Shopping at Punta Cana Village is supposed to open in the building where the Bolera was, If that Info is still accurate.
anybody has actual News on that one?
cheers
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They're working at full speed on the former bolera but I'd still be surprised if the Nacional meets its 15 December target.

moira11

Jan 4, 2011
German Sausage Shop

Mike,

How far would the German Sausage Shop be from the "White Sands" area?

Thanks.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Supermarket in Tres Center is closed.(big surprise...NOT)

Supermarket Rivieras in Plaza Rivieras is closed.

Owner of Supermercado Estrella is laughing his a.. off!

...Nacional, here I come!

How is Super Pola doing??? They open in February right?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I know 2 sisters who will work at Super Pola,
they been told that the Pola opens on Feb 10th, at least that's the Day they start their job there, lol.
Yes Peter, a number of small supermarkets in the Area closed, the Marqueta on the street Bavaro-Veron near Pueblo Bavaro is also closed, there is now a Orange Shop inside. th e Super Mercado estrella I never liked, but I agree, He may get a bunch of clientel from that Area up in Bavaro, specially the ones without a Car to drive to Nacional or Pola.
for Myself both are luckily very close, 10 minutes to Pola and not even 15 minutes to Nacional to Drive thanks to the crappy but quick Boulevard.

Happy Shopping

Mike

JeNLeB

Jan 31, 2011
I also live in Bavaro (Cocotal to be exact), and also like you, I can't believe how expensive the food is here. However, I suppose that is to be expected, since it is a tourist town and in general, everything is more expensive... Recently (within the past few weeks or so) they opened up a Supermercado Nacional (they have this chain in Santo Domingo and other big cities) right next to the Punta Cana airport, and it is MUCH bigger than any of the minimarts here. The prices, however, are not THAT much better than those in the minimarts, but their selection is amazing. There is a bakery (with fresh bread), a meat/deli area, and a LARGE selection of fresh produce. I have found this supermarket to be my favorite, and although it is about a 20-minute drive from Cocotal, it is worth it to me. I only go twice a month to stock up on groceries and now I just use the minimarts for the things we run out of often. The nearest Jumbo is in La Romana (about a 2-hr drive from Bavaro) and you will find even more of a selection---along with better prices---over there. My husband and I usually stop there on our way back from Santo Domingo (when we go) and stock up on groceries or household items.

As for living in Cocotal, for me, it is one of the best (if not the best) places to live here in Bavaro: it's very safe, close to everything, and it's on a beautiful golf course. We do, however, have the occasional golf ball or two land on our patio, but it's a small inconvenience for such a wonderful place and gorgeous view.

Hope this helps :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Supermercado Pola in the San Juan Centre looks like it's going to meet its 11 February deadline - we had a peek yesterday and the aisles are already stocked and only last minute cosmetic details are pending.

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
Great - Nacional on a scooter and loads of groceries has proven a little hairy! Plus I can pop into Noah for the best tuna ever... (Tuna Mai Tai).

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the best Tuna is what We eat Crude aboard the Boat, lol.

right Mrs Flor,
while the Nacional is easy and quick to reach in a Car, on a Scooter it wouldn't be My own thingy neither.

just 4 days to go before the Super Pola is supposed to open, looks Huge, so I hope the best for all Us Bavaro/PC shoppers.

the Veggie station at Nacional is IMHO the best around the Area, the prices for their products such as the washing powders, Mistolins etc are good, their Meat Station looks always Top Fresh and Top Clean, even that I prefer my Own Local Butcher.

our shopping Routine/Route looks actually this way:
twice a month/every other week, at Nacional, for the Veggies, very good Wine Selection, some cleaning Stuff.
in between, every other week, we are anyways for other shopping reasons in Higuey, here the Liqueurs are cheaper, such as the Mrs's beloved Baileys, and there we also buy the big sacks of Rice etc for the Orphanage, on basics such as Rice Iberia in Higuey is much Cheaper, specially when You need large quantities, they mostly have great specials on children's clothing etc so always worth to grab some pieces, not hard to find Kids on the streets around who fit into such.

til now(maybe Nacional will run such, too, with the Time), Iberias has often specials on Household Products such as washing Powders, Cloro(got today the Gallons for just RD$69.- per Gallon, took 10 of course to store, at the Boys place it will be needed in a short period of Time, lol), cooking Oil etc etc.

for fresh Top Quality Fruits in large Variety there is no better Place than the Fruit Stand in Veron, at the Speedbumps near the Car Wash "La Recta", no Supermarket can come close to them, not even the large Jumbo in La Romana, as Ju,bo's Quality is far below that Fav Fruitstand of Mine.

for Top Quality and always fresh Meats in Bavaro I stick sure with "Omar", from the crossing at Veron just a few hundred meters towards La Otra Banda, on the left Hand side, big letters with the Name on the Building, you don't get better Meat of any kinda Animal at any Supermarket or shop etc, and you can order anything you want to plan for bigger Fietsas, too, and He has the best Rates.
the same Omar is the Place to go if You want to get Top Quality Fish/Seafood for the best Rates in Bavaro/PC Town, and that's from Me, the Fisherman, ha ha.
I have My own Foshies always at Home and Fresh, but I always check what He has and for what Rates, the Shop is great.

for everything small missing in between,
just step by the Local Colmadon, always a reason to grab a Cold One, lol.

Happy Shopping

and let's look forward what Super Pola finally will ofeer to Us.

Mike

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well I have been here for a couple of months, I find the prices in the independant supermarkets to be not so bad really, meat is but they do cater to foreigners and so it isnt as cheap for them to bring in as it will be for the large NAtionals. National was my supermarket in the Capital and the prices are identical, albeit 25 mins from BAvaro.
Loads of supermarkets, but if you can afford to live here then you can afford the shopping costing 500pesos a week more, no