Bavaro area NO supermarkets???

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
even that I didn't get my car fixed due the spare parts arriving 4PM this afternoon, mecanics Day Tomorrow, lol,
I stopped at the weisswurst shop to get their address.
in Sosua they are named the same than here in PC, Berlin,
and they are located in the Plaza Playero.
the Lady told me there are 2 Playeros in Sosua, a big one and a small one, they are at the Big one.
happy weisswurst weekend to the BelgianK, he he
Mike

my fresh Bred will arrive tomorrow Noon.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I am forever in your debt... am off to that area tomorrow and will pay them a visit... am drooling already...

I will not forget my promise... lol

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Just saw this post - so good to hear of "Berlin" for meats and bread. But to also mention that Delicana in Punta Cana village has some excellent meats (pork chops wonderful - but as always everywhere - examine what you buy. The bread too is very good (I am a foodie) it is in the freezer. They also have stocked up on all types of exotic products. The jambon from spain - caviar (for those who care) etc. Anyway except for the produce (which is not very appealing) this is an excellent little store. I have heard that the owner is also heading the new "supermercado" in cap cana. Anyone hear anything about that? Last time (July) I was in the cap cana little village there is a building with a supermercado sign - so I am very hopeful.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
been at the Berlin in bavaro this Noon on the way back from Higuey,
the 3 of Us had a great Lunch there, Chiri, test their "Schweinebraten with Knoedel", you get a large Plate of the best cooked(5 pieces each Plate) meat ever with 2 large Knoedel for a total of just 280 pesos, and you never have to wait for the ordered meals to be ready.
last week I complained to her that she has my beloved Leberwurst only in small Cans(200grams), today she had the requested big ones(400grams).
fresh Breds and my ordered large pack of Weisswurst will arrive with their delivery tomorrow, the delivery Truck from Sosua arrives now every Friday, and late afternoon, so on saturday I will pick up that great stuff, too.
they also have every day their "Plate of the Day" for lunchtime, today's would have been Spareribbs for just 175 pesos each Plate, I saw the plates on the neighbour table, looked fantastic, and for that cheapy. I only did not take them today b/c we had spareribbs for Dinner sunday Night at the American Night at the Buffet of the Elegance, once per week is enough for the same plate, lol.
the shops in Punta Cana Village are very good, but 1stly the PCVillage is far from everywhere and 2ndly none has a large Variety of Foods, and 3rdly they are Way more Expensive than any other good store in the Bavaro Area, and understandeable, they gather towards the "Rich" Crowd living at PC Village and Cap Cana. tomorrow is my "Meat Stock Up Day", of course as usual at "Omar's" in Veron, top Beef, local and imported, great Pork and always worth to ask what he has additionally in the fridges, on the same Ride of course we pass by the Frutera aside of Pinturas Veron/aside of the Carwash La Recta to stock up on fresh fruits for the homemade juices.
if they finally get something done this milennium at the San Juan Shopping Center to open the Pola there, then we will not need anymore any shopping Rides to Higuey to stock up in Bavaro.
it is going better and better.
the One place which really went downhill completely under the new Owner is Supermercado Caribe, that Dominican who runs the place now has nothing on stock, no more fresh breds, meats look awful If available and he is a nasty guy to speak with, not worth to pay any visits again there.

happy shopping
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the heads up, Mike - next time I'm up that way I will visit "Berlin".

Latest - the San Juan Shopping Centre have now put out a press release announcing their opening date for November. It was quoted in this week's DR1 Travel News:

Super Pola in Punta Cana
Pola Supermarket will be the anchor store of the San Juan Shopping Center that is scheduled to open in Punta Cana in November. It will be on off to the north of Punta Cana's Boulevard del Este, at Km9 of Carretera Barcelo near the Coco Loco crossing. San Juan Shopping Center is a joint Dominican-Puerto Rican investment valued at US$25 million.

And the rumour about a Nacional opening in La Bolera/Punta Cana Village refuses to die, so let's keep a watch on that.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
well, got myself bratwurst today, of course leberwurst, they had my favourite salami there as well, and some pate.... unfortunately they were out of shinken... I suspect some German boat owner at Bavaro has something to do with that...

I just ate the bratwurst and enjoyed multiple orgasms... so thanks Mike, first time the wise words of some guy did that to me...:bunny::bunny:

For people near Sosua... Berlin there is situated in Plaza Playero supermarket actually... as a kind of delicatessen-counter...

The friendliness of which Mike speaks of in Bavaro is nowhere in sight in Sosua... they actually sigh when you order something...:bunny:

There is a huge sign which promotes the house-made leberwurst, but they look at it blankly, so point...

As it is part of a supermarket, it means you get your meats at the delicatessen-counter, have to search for your german bread in an other isle, and so on and on, for all the goodies you want... but they are there...

Prices are reasonable though, and f*** the friendliness... will accept everything for those goodies... lol

Thanks Mike for being a lifesaver...

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
I have heard that a grocery store is moving into the bowling alley in Punta Cana Village. I was told the construction contract was awarded. I am sharing with but am skeptical after repeatedly hearing a large grocery store is coming to PC

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the One Rumors move into the bowling alley is La nacional.
at the Coco Loco Crossing they may finish this year to bring in La Pola.

Peter,
so the East is in case of Weisswurst Sales People much friendlier than the cold North, ha ha ha.
here the Shop is a standing alone shop, not inside of any supermarket, they even cook Lunch, and great ones.
whenyou ask about specific products you get first a plate of the different kinds to testEat, the Dominican Lady running her Shop does really a great job on that, her Style is a mainreason why many friends are there for shopping often.
on October 9th she will run a Octoberfest there, ha ha.
cheers
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well, the old bowling alley in Punta Cana is being remodelled as we speak, so it looks like we're on for the new Supermercado Nacional. :) :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Punto Italia just opened in Fruisa where Banco Popular is. They are not near as good as the one in La Romana, but they have a lot of Italian goods for sale there. Pasta, cheese, salami, etc.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
good info, Richie, I did not know that one, yet.
will check it out, pastas and Salamis are always on my own Diet's list, and Italians know that stuff very well, lol.

Chiri,
that's good News,
sounds like PC is looking forward on a Supermarket Boom finally.
not a bad thingy,
the more competition and more variation, the better for Us customers.
happy shopping
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Very good news about Punto Italia - thanks SKY. Where's the Popular in Friusa?

Mike, let's not hold our breath in case it's another false alarm. ;)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Very good news about Punto Italia - thanks SKY. Where's the Popular in Friusa?

Mike, let's not hold our breath in case it's another false alarm. ;)

at least it provides us some sweet dreams, ha ha.
I don't know the Popular at Friusa, may be near all the other Banks on the stretch aside the Texaco.
Sky will fill us in.

Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is next to the gas station heading towards Bavaro Plaza on your left. Right before Trunko, where the Office Furniture store is.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
The latest scoop ??

The old bowling lanes building is gutted. Only the shell is now left. I have been told that Nacional-Jumbo company is opening Dec 8.

I wish I had asked what year !!! But they are working on it and have the road in front of the building closed. .....
Parking ??? there not much space available........
carib

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, I've been following this with great interest. They're reconfiguring the traffic flow and preparing an extended parking area. Probably the area beyond the children's playground.

Meanwhile I hear that Pola in San Juan Shopping Centre is not opening until February, even though the mall is set for its November opening. The PCV Nacional might just steal its thunder.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes, I've been following this with great interest. They're reconfiguring the traffic flow and preparing an extended parking area. Probably the area beyond the children's playground.

Meanwhile I hear that Pola in San Juan Shopping Centre is not opening until February, even though the mall is set for its November opening. The PCV Nacional might just steal its thunder.

doesn't matter which one of them wins the Race for the first opening, but it would be great if at least one would finally reach the Goal, ha ha.
let's Just Hope that those December 8th on one side and Februar on the other side Dates are meant dec 2010 and Feb 2011, yearwise, lol.
for myself both would be located perfectly, San Juan a 10 minutes and the Bola 15 minutes drive from my Home, I would not complain about any of both to open SOOOOOON!
happy shopping
Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Has anyone seen any "new" activity re any of the upcoming supermarkets in Punta Cana - either the alleged Jumbo or the one in Cap Cana? Coming down in December and was just wondering and hoping.