Dominican American

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
That's a matter of opinion. I'm familiar with both Puerto Rican and Dominican sofritos. Los Puertorriquenos add more onions
and peppers while los Dominicanos add more recao y ajicitos which gives it an intense flavor.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
It kills me how you try to sound so educated and write nonsense like this. All of your threads about Dominican women I would have NEVER thought you were a Nuyorican. No Puerto Rican on this planet HATE any group, HATE is a STRONG word, DISLIKE is a better word but not HATE.

The Puerto Rican culture is just as big if not BIGGER then the Dominican culture. Can Brugal even be mentioned in the same sentence with Bacardi other then these one. I like Dominican food, but I prefer Puerto Rican much tastier. GB7 have you ever spent time on the island of Puerto Rico? Most if not ALL Puerto Ricans LOVE Puerto Rico and it is 2nd II NONE. The people, music, food, dancing, drinks, etc the list is too long to write. Ponce is one of my favorite cities in the world even though there is not much of a nightlife it is still the best city.

Puerto Ricans that choose DR over PR is their RIGHT I can careless, but do not try to incinuate that the DR culture is better or bigger then PR. You like Dominican women fine keep your A$$ over there. Puerto Rican women DON'T have time for some DAMN Gringobachata7 anyway.

BTW GB7 ask any of the SUPER SANKIES in DR would they ever attempt to run that SH*T on a group of Boricuas visiting from PR. Dominicans know who to run their SH*T on and who to avoid, and Puerto Ricans are people you avoid if you are on some BULLSH*T.

I met a Puerto Rican older man who is friends with my aunt (who is Puerto Rican), he was nice to me up to the moment he found out I am Dominican. My aunt let him have it, as her husband is Dominican and her kids are half-Dominican... So yes, generalization goes both way.... Don't say "no Puerto Rican on this planet" because it's not true.

Second, you are aware that Culture is not something you can measure as being bigger or smaller... it simply is what it is. Are you really going to say Puerto Rico's culture is richer because of Bacardi? I am trying to figure out where it was insinuated by Pollogringo that the Dominican Republic's culture is "bigger" than the Puerto Rican culture. It kills me how you try to sound so educated and write nonsense like this.

Insinuate* (BTW in Spanish, it's also with an "S" not "C")
Careless and care less are not the same thing.

Keep in mind, I love Puerto Rico, it's gorgeous, and have great memories from when I've travelled there. As for food... Even though it's all similar throughout the Caribbean, I actually prefer Cuban to Puerto Rican.

Also, remember that the name of this forum is DR1 not PR1, so obviously you will get a lot of people who are biased towards the Dominican Republic, same as it would happen if this were a Puerto Rican forum :)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I met a Puerto Rican older man who is friends with my aunt (who is Puerto Rican), he was nice to me up to the moment he found out I am Dominican. My aunt let him have it, as her husband is Dominican and her kids are half-Dominican... So yes, generalization goes both way.... Don't say "no Puerto Rican on this planet" because it's not true.

Second, you are aware that Culture is not something you can measure as being bigger or smaller... it simply is what it is. Are you really going to say Puerto Rico's culture is richer because of Bacardi? I am trying to figure out where it was insinuated by Pollogringo that the Dominican Republic's culture is "bigger" than the Puerto Rican culture. It kills me how you try to sound so educated and write nonsense like this.

Keep in mind, I love Puerto Rico, it's gorgeous, and have great memories from when I've travelled there. As for food... Even though it's all similar throughout the Caribbean, I actually prefer Cuban to Puerto Rican.

Also, remember that the name of this forum is DR1 not PR1, so obviously you will get a lot of people who are biased towards the Dominican Republic, same as it would happen if this were a Puerto Rican forum :)

First of all I was talking to another "so called" fellow Puerto Rican that stated a lot of things that was not true. The word "educated" has many different meanings not only regarding higher learning in some institution. By his own words he stated he was not educated:

1. Well taught: having had a good education
2. Cultured: show good taste in refinement

because he has spent little to no time in PR. Puerto Rico is the size of a penny, but in our minds and hearts our culture is the size of BRAZIL. If you would have read my entire post I stated the list is too long to name. Did the older Puerto Rican man say that he HATE you? Do you know the meaning of the word hate? He formed a opinion of you because of your Dominican background thats it, but that is not the same as hate.

I know this is DR1, but READ OP. About the misspelled words( I do not use spell check on my computer, is that OK with you)

BTW Do you see how you tried to call me out, and show how SMART you are, and you did not even know that the word educated have many meanings I was not talking about SCHOOL.

Second about the old man he DID NOT know his friend had a Dominican husband when he prejudged you for being Dominican. I have many friends and I know ALL their spouses.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
First of all I was talking to another "so called" fellow Puerto Rican that stated a lot of things that was not true. The word "educated" has many different meanings not only regarding higher learning in some institution. By his own words he stated he was not educated:

1. Well taught: having had a good education
2. Cultured: show good taste in refinement

because he has spent little to no time in PR. Puerto Rico is the size of a penny, but in our minds and hearts our culture is the size of BRAZIL. If you would have read my entire post I stated the list is too long to name. Did the older Puerto Rican man say that he HATE you? Do you know the meaning of the word hate? He formed a opinion of you because of your Dominican background thats it, but that is not the same as hate.

I know this is DR1, but READ OP. About the misspelled words( I do not use spell check on my computer, is that OK with you)

BTW Do you see how you tried to call me out, and show how SMART you are, and you did not even know that the word educated have many meanings I was not talking about SCHOOL.

Second about the old man he DID NOT know his friend had a Dominican husband when he prejudged you for being Dominican. I have many friends and I know ALL their spouses.

He didn't, actually; for some reason he thought my uncle was Cuban (Don't confuse the Havana accent with the accent from those of "Oriente", many people have mistaken my accent for a "cuba oriental" accent, especially when I'm abroad since I'm light colored)... And if someone says "I hate all dominicans, so that would include you" and walks away... well, it kind of proofs his point, you cannot possibly know what someone you don't know is capable of feeling. My main point being: Generalizations of any kind are wrong.

I don't use spell check on my computer either :)

If you notice the sentence you are referring to, was actually used by you :) I just copy/pasted it.

In the quoted text you responded to, it makes no reference to Puerto Rico not having a rich culture, are you sure you read his text? It only says that some people don't like Dominicans, others do; some hate it; some absolutely love it. I would imagine that the enitre Island does not feel the exact same way about Dominicans, so I guess it makes more sense than you saying there is no xenophobia in Puerto Rico; it'd be the same as saying there is no xenophobia against the Haitians in the Dominican Republic. I don't hate or dislike people on sight, but it doesn't mean there aren't people who are like that. If you don't believe me, ask any KKK member :)

Xenophobia - is defined as "an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange."[1] It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner," and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear."[2]
(Wikipedia - Xenophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Could it be your story about the Puerto Rican man was a PARABLE? You do not have to make up stuff to make a point. Let me get this straight:

Your aunt has a friend from Puerto Rico and she NEVER mentioned her husband was Dominican? Does this even sound logical? I do not have to give you example that Puerto Ricans do not hate, but I WILL The illegal Dominicans roaming the streets of PR are they treated like the Haitians roaming the streets of DR?

Of course you like cuban food better because everytime a PRican have a debate with a Dominican CUBA always come up by a Dominican. Cubans are better dancers, food is better, smarter, culture is better, music is better, Puerto Ricans do not have their own flag but stole Cuba's flag and changed the color.

I do not use the Puerto Rican flag, but I love it. I use the flag of Ponce the coolest flag on the planet.

Just saw you post about being mistaken for cuban. I have NEVER mistaken a Cuban for a Dominican and vice versa. The Dominican way of speaking is like no other, and if the guy is old I think he could tell a Dominican from a Cuban,

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I am Dominican and I think that the Puerto Rican-Dominican rivalry is the silliest thing because the two countries are way too similar: The family culture is the same, people look the same, the food is basically the same, the music, way too similar, houses, the same, the weather, vegetation, etc, all same. It's basically all the same thing.

You could claim that arroz con pollo is different but once again, does your grandma's arroz con pollo at the countryside in El Cibao taste the same as your cousin's in Santo Domingo? It doesn't!

There's even areas at Plaza de Diego that smell all funky and like pee just like areas at At El Conde.

When I'm in Puerto Rico I feel like I'm in the DR till I hear someone's accent or a Coqui frog at night.

The only thing that bothers me are people who think that just 'cause you're dominican you got there on a Yola.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Could it be your story about the Puerto Rican man was a PARABLE? You do not have to make up stuff to make a point. Let me get this straight:

Your aunt has a friend from Puerto Rico and she NEVER mentioned her husband was Dominican? Does this even sound logical? I do not have to give you example that Puerto Ricans do not hate, but I WILL The illegal Dominicans roaming the streets of PR are they treated like the Haitians roaming the streets of DR?

Of course you like cuban food better because everytime a PRican has a debate with a Dominican CUBA always come up by a Dominican. Cubans are better dancers, food is better, smarter, culture is better, music is better, Puerto Ricans do not have their own flag but stole Cuba's flag and changed the color.

I do not use the Puerto Rican flag, but I love it. I use the flag of Ponce the coolest flag on the planet.

You forgot the part where I told you I actually have great memories of Puerto Rico, and luckily, the Puerto Ricans I've met at Unibe when studying medicine where super nice. One of them is from Ponce, and I am planning a trip to see her very soon.

It was not a parable, this particular event happened when I was visiting her in Mayaguez when I was 15.I guess it was just something that never came up. I don't know how much of a friend he was since it was the only time I saw him, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if she met him that week or 10 years before. He was simply introduced as a friend, and I'm not curious enough to enquire about ignorant people.

As for the discrimination part, as they say: ignorance is bliss :) Maybe you haven't seen it, and being Puerto Rican you will not experience it. But I have heard many stories about it from Dominicans that have gone illegally to Puerto Rico.

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=discriminacion+puerto+rico+contra+dominicanos

Also, I enjoy Cuban food better than Dominican. But I enjoy salsa much more than merengue or son for that matter, so another meh point. Don't care about the flags. I also like Viejo San Juan better than Zona Colonial, much cleaner and nicer.

I think you got the impression I don't like Puerto Rico when it's actually the oposite.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I am Dominican and I think that the Puerto Rican-Dominican rivalry is the silliest thing because the two countries are way too similar: The family culture is the same, people look the same, the food is basically the same, the music, way too similar, houses, the same, the weather, vegetation, etc, all same. It's basically all the same thing.

You could claim that arroz con pollo is different but once again, does your grandma's arroz con pollo at the countryside in El Cibao taste the same as your cousin's in Santo Domingo? It doesn't!

There's even areas at Plaza de Diego that smell all funky and like pee just like areas at At El Conde.

When I'm in Puerto Rico I feel like I'm in the DR till I hear someone's accent or a Coqui frog at night.

The only thing that bothers me are people who think that just 'cause you're dominican you got there on a Yola.

Facelessdoll STARTED it( I know I sound like 5 yr old) very good points you made. I almost NEVER get into this debate because like you said it is silly.

Enjoy the rest of you day. I'M OUT!!!!

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Facelessdoll STARTED it( I know I sound like 5 yr old) very good points you made. I almost NEVER get into this debate because like you said it is silly.

Enjoy the rest of you day. I'M OUT!!!!

This from the fella that said "Puerto Rican culture is as big if not bigger" hahahahahahahaha

Dec 26, 2011
It's all in good fun. Cubans, Boricuas and Dominicans are very much family and they pick on one another the way brothers and sisters do. As an adopted brother, I like to join in.

I've never had better tamales than the ones made by my Cuban buddy's wife(she's Guantamera), better asopao de camaron than my ex-wife's(from Bayaguana), better asopao de pollo than my gf's(from Moca originally), better mofongo than I used to get at a Puerto Rican bar around here(since closed) that had Heineken on tap. Oh, and I always told my ex-suegra que me encantaba su rabo.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
It's been too long since I've had a good mofongo. It's always hard to decide between de chicharron or de camaron.

The best Mofongo de Camar?n is served at " La Parrillita" on Av. Juan Pablo Duarte. Right in front of Plaza Internacional. It's a bit pricey though, but IMO its worth it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It is very similar, but definitely not the same.

In the old days the differences that exist now simply did not existed then: Collection: Puerto Rico, 1940s-50s

Dec 26, 2011

It comes down to US citizenship, IMO.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

Different histories, different migration patterns from different parts of the world, different culture, different levels of education for the average person. So different you could tell them apart easily.

"When I'm in Puerto Rico I feel like I'm in the DR" is a comment that can only be based on willful ignorance.

First of all, if you've ever flown from PR to DR you could tell the difference right from the plane-in Puerto Rico, you don't see stretches of land that are totally unlit because of the apagones like in the DR. That should be your first clue.

If both countries seem the same to you it's because you need to be educated on the differences.