Dominican History and heritage

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
and mountainannie, its refreshing to hear your POV, honestly. i must admit one of my pet peeves is people trying to tell me i'm black and stop sayin i'm mixed when people look at me and ask "what are you?". it happens alot. but they say blah blah african americans are mixed too, blah blah but see we're good negroes, we just call ourselves black. you just tryina be special by claimin other ****....its like screeching brakes for me.

first off, if i can look in the mirror and at my family and see the asian, lebanese, african, spaniard and arawak influences quite clearly, you cannot tell me who and what i am from your ignorant, uneducated guess. swear to gawd my grandmothers side all look straight up arawak and they are from the deep country where africans where known to have children with arawaks as they all hid away from the spanish.

i'm willing to bet money thats what she is.
and everything else is present in our families culture, much like anyone else.

im just going to say it: dominicans DO have a very different and special experience when it comes to race. sorry if that hurts some folks. its the truth.

we arent the same. similar but def not the same. why is this so unfathomable?

why is it so hard to see that amongst us, we dont have different culture according to our skintones, like you. its all the same for everyone. theres extreme colorism but class rules all. if youre a rich, educated black, youre practically white lol

unlike in the u.s. you wont get rich blacks being pulled over simply for being black. youre just rich.

that is why some think theres "no racism".

its COLORISM.

just as theres colorism amongst african americans and brazilians. white is right. when it comes to features: the more european, the better. second best is indigenous. african is simply UGLY UGLY UGLY unless its about a nice, round booty and hips.

dominicans have been mixing all nillywilly since the late 1400's. no one ever said we couldnt, instead it was encouraged. and now its 2009.

after arab, euros, blacks, asians, natives, etc....how am i accurately going to call myself "black" and thats it.

its so damn complicated, i would rather just say i am DOMINICAN but instead people want the whole run down. i give it to them. you can take it as you will.

Reactions: mountainannie

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
POPNYChic,

After 40+ years of living in the US I've condensed my answer as to where I'm from to this-"I'm from the Dominican Republic" If they want more, I give them a quick geography lesson and move on.;)

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
POPNYChic,

After 40+ years of living in the US I've condensed my answer as to where I'm from to this-"I'm from the Dominican Republic" If they want more, I give them a quick geography lesson and move on.;)

Or just say, are you referencing to the skin color. To me it does not make any sense what is to be black in the US. Are they referencing to the skin color or a live style. Can anybody clarify this one for me please. If someone skin color is black, does it means that they have to take all the African American BS that the racist society in the US thinks it is, even though you never being in Africa do not know zip about Africa, but everything about your Dominican culture. Why dark skin color people should feel proud about their African, European, Asian background. Just let people be whoever they want to be.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Or just say, are you referencing to the skin color. To me it does not make any sense what is to be black in the US. Are they referencing to the skin color or a live style. Can anybody clarify this one for me please. If someone skin color is black, does it means that they have to take all the African American BS that the racist society in the US thinks it is, even though you never being in Africa do not know zip about Africa, but everything about your Dominican culture. Why dark skin color people should feel proud about their African, European, Asian background. Just let people be whoever they want to be.

I agree, people should be proud of who they are, not necessarily their skin colour, or appearance etc (taking some pride in ancestry or nationality is ok, as long as its not extreme). It's important to note, people shouldn't feel ashamed, or be made to fell ashamed of their ancestry or nationality. And mixes are cool - and I totally I agree that having to explain to someone your particular mix in their need to categorize you as X, Y, or Z is rediculous. However some people are just genuinely interested in background.

I for instance have an interesting mix: Irish, Scottish (canadian side), Italian, Spanish(basque & catalonian), possibly Charrua (uruguayan side). Now i just had a child of a dominican mother, add to my mix, more spanish, maybe more italian, some Taina, and some African blood, and who knows what else. What do you get? have one good looking child, 3 possible citizenships, and an incredibly hard time explaining her "ancestry". hehe.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It took a me a while to understand this. The word black in the US seem to have two meanings, one is ethnic and the other racial.

The problem is that the two meanings of the word is used interchangeably (with the only way one can distinguish its two meanings is by the context in which the word is used) to such an extent, that many people seem to not be aware of this distinction. In fact, when most Americans use the word black, they actually use it in its racial context. The problem is that mulattoes are not blacks, hence calling a mulatto black is really an ethnic label, and in fact, that's how many American mulattoes that indentify as black justify their use of that word (ie. they are part black, they are immersed in black American culture - because many American mulattoes reject their white admixture -, thus they are black - that's their rationalization). When it comes to the real blacks, the word black actually means black race and black culture.

Something similar seems to occur with the word African-American, albeit this one is more ethnically rooted; but to me, despite having a good understanding of this, is still a little ridiculous to call a group of people that for the most part have been in the US since the 1700s as anything other than Americans, much less African-American. These are some of the least African people (culturally) on the planet. Plus, true Africans that migrate and become assimilated to the US should be the real African-Americans, but this is another can of worms beyond the scope of this thread.

Now, when Dominicans (and many other people) hear the word black in the US, they ALWAYS accept it by its ethnic definition (ie. Blacks/Mulattoes native to the United States). The basic reason for this is that the concept of race doesn't exist in the Dominican psyche, so its impossible for many Dominicans to accept the word black to mean anything other than ethnicity. And its not just the word black, the word white - by itself - is also understood to mean white American; which is one thing a white Dominican is not.

For that reason, many Dominicans reject being grouped with black/African Americans in the US, despite most Dominicans having similar looks to many African Americans (due to their admixture)

Furthermore, in Spanish the most common words you will hear from Dominicans when referring to African Americans would be los negros de aqu?, los negros, los morenos, and los morenos de aqu?. In a similar fashion, white Americans are often referred to as los blancos, los blanquitos, los americanos, los gringos, or even los rubios.

Any other group of people will be referred by their nationality, regardless if they are American by births and/or for more than one generation. Plus, Dominicans will always refer to themselves as Dominicans, not as black Dominicans, white Dominicans, indio Dominicans, mulatto Dominicans; but just Dominican. They will also identify other Dominicans as Dominicans as well.

Now, regarding the attitude of many (as in not all, this is DR1 so one must be clear :cheeky: ) African Americans regarding their hatred/distrust of whites, it's one aspect that becomes clear to many Dominicans and other people from other places. This is a recurring theme, from the attempt of mulatto/light skin African Americans to deny their white blood or even their admixture (always pointing to the 'there are light skin blacks in Africa' line) or, when accepting of their white blood admixture, always explaining it as the result of rapes in the plantations. It was never the result of two people falling in love with each other, a quick and mutually agreed rendezvous between two people, or anything of that nature. Its always the rape-scenario, which of course occurred, but I personally highly doubt most American mulattoes exist for that sole reason. I don't think that explains the existence of most American mulattoes.

So in a way, Dominicans (and others) notice in African Americans the complete inverse of what African Americans notice in Dominicans. The only difference is that while Dominicans notice this, they don't really want African Americans to think like Dominicans, in fact Dominicans respect the African American right to deal with their identity as they wish. With African Americans, more often than not, they feel compelled to make Dominicans think like them; and this results in one of two things: A) the Dominican is pressured to such a degree they give up and go with the flow or B)the Dominican is pressured to the point that he/she begins to avoid African Americans, and even begin to develop negative stereotypes of them (the most common complaint: los negros de aqu? son ?o?os / joden demasiado / tienen demasiado odio / etc. (black Americans are whiners / are a pain in the rear / hate non-blacks, especially whites / etc).

This perceived anymosity from black Americans is also experienced by other people, as is the case with many Puerto Ricans. Even the mulatto Americans that identify as mulatto get this vibe from other African Americans, see here.

People should simply respect each others decision to be whatever they want to be, and move on!

-NALs ;)

Last edited:
?

? bient?t

This perceived anymosity from black Americans is also experienced by other people, as is the case with many Puerto Ricans. Even the mulatto Americans that identify as mulatto get this vibe from other African Americans, see here.

-NALs ;)

Wow! I visited mulatto.org and found out they even have meetings and such.

I can see it now:

Guy: "Hey, what's up? Nice hair. Where are you from, girl?"

Girl1: "Just drove up from Jersey. You?"

"Me, I'm a Bronx baby - Fordham Rd. and G. Concourse area."

Girl2: "Hey, guys, nice textures. Long Island girl here, nice to meet you."

Mulatto.org meeting organizer:

"OK, FOLKS, LISTEN UP, PLEASE. We have some new members--nice features and all--and we are going to have them come up to the mic for quick introductions and brief accounts of their mixtures. OK, folks, line up and just keep it down to the bare essentials: mom's and dad's race, and whether you've ever been mistaken for black and/or Dominican."

"Lourdes McNally: Boston girl, PR mom, Irish dad, and I usually encounter resentment from my not-so-lucky sisters. I was in Providence once, and some guy comes up and say, 'Mami, ke lo ke?' Well, I put him in his place: 'Sorry, no habla Spanish.'"

"Jerome Garcia: Brooklyn-born, WHITE SPANISH mother from SPAIN, african-american dad. I tend bar and some customers have told me I look like a lighter version of Taye Diggs, only whiter and not so dark and with much gooder hair. I've signed up for acting lessons. Dig it?"

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Bientot,
Brilliant! Too funny!

Nals,
You made 'a lot' of generalizations about African Americans and Mulatto s in your post. You say you have a 'good understanding' of this issue concerning how AA and Mulatto Americans view their OWN identity? How is that?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bientot,
Brilliant! Too funny!

Nals,
You made 'a lot' of generalizations about African Americans and Mulatto s in your post. You say you have a 'good understanding' of this issue concerning how AA and Mulatto Americans view their OWN identity? How is that?
Hmmm, from my experience:

If you spend time befriending different types of people, ask them questions about themselves, their cohorts, their culture; they answer. You notice how they react in different types of situations, in different topics.

There are books, reports, studies, so on and so forth to aid in all of this.

With time your level of understanding anything under such scrutiny inevitably increases.

That's how.

-NALs

Last edited:

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
Nals, I think you should look up the "one drop rule". It might explain a lot to you about why people of mixed race identify as black in America.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I would like to share my personal opinion on the question of the Dominican African mix or heritage or are those who are of that mixture. My skin is dark, my father's skin is very light and I know for as far back as we can trace that no african blood in my fathers line, but my father married a african american in my mom and I look very much like my mom. Growing up, my aunts and my fathers sisters, always cooked traditional Dominican meals, most of my friends where either Dominicano or Puerto Rican, just because of where we lived. When I was almost high school we moved down south and no one in my school was Dominican or latino. Right then was the first time some one told me oh you must be African American and it was a real culture shock for me. I denied of course because I was so proud of my Dominican heritage that it hurt for others to simply lump me into a category because of the color my skin and judge me without knowing anything about who I actually am.
So I had to learn about the African heritage that I have also but I don't find shame in my heritage. Even though I am a very proud Dominican, I am proud to be African American also. I don't look at my skin color as a henderance nor am I jealous of lighter skin color. The Dominican Republic(where we lived also for a few years when I was young) is so much more than people judging others just based on skin color. I don't think I have ever met a Dominican that was ashamed of anything. But maybe this is why some don't really identify with their African ancestry, cause they choose to be proud of DR and just don't hold the African part as highly? As for me I am part of both so I am proud of who I am. Hope that helped some at least. take care and God bless
Biggs

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I am trying to get a medical exam done this week but while doing my paper work I am very confuse... There are two questions in this form;
1 - Are you White, AA,Hispanic.... = Hispanic

2 -Now the next one say... What race do you belong to?

Confusing right? I'm not Caucasian nether black but a light skinned person who ever was considered to be white while living in DR most of the time of my life.

Help please.

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Leave it blank and if they specify to pick one, check all the options that apply not just one. If there is an "Other" option, check that and if they offer a clear line or clear box to specify, write mixed, if you want. I think checking Hispanic is more than enough.

I don't think you are legally obligated to answer those ethnic/race questions and, as such, you have the right to refuse and leave it blank.

An interesting article: Counting by Race Can Throw Off Some Numbers

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am trying to get a medical exam done this week but while doing my paper work I am very confuse... There are two questions in this form;

Confusing right? I'm not Caucasian nether black but a light skinned person who ever was considered to be white while living in DR most of the time of my life.

Help please.

JJ

Pick the one you want.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I forgot to share this the other post I made here, but there is a docudrama on you tube about this very subject. I think you can find it if you look up inadash. She is the person that produces about 8 short films on Latino and black and the finding our identity and understanding the history of The Dominican Republic and our heritage. Thanks I would try to post a link but I am not sure how to do that, if I can figure it out I will add a link to one of the videos. Take care God bless
BiggsNegro: A Docu-Series about Latino Identity Pt. 1 - YouTube <------- I hope this works but it is a nice piece on youtube about this subject. enjoy

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
Don't African American do the same? I see no African American with curly hair anywhere here in Massachusetts, All of them have Wigs now or shaved heads.

Last edited:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

Help please.

JJ

bachata, you may do as I do: if given a choice to enter 'race' by hand, I always say 'human'

Mar 1, 2009
As a Dominican, I know I have African ancestry, I'm also aware of Galician ancestry in my background. If you ask an educated person, an educated Dominican person, they will admit right away to the mix nature of their ancestry. I say or rather use the word ancestry as opposed to race as a result of the negative connotations that have been given by the use of that word. My great Grandfather was born during the times of the independance of the republic, passing away from this earth at the age of 100plus years. What he saw and heard, oh my. He was African, almost as pure west African as you can find. Most of my relatives from that lineage are. When I went to Africa, I felt right at home. I'm the descendant of runaway slaves. Mixed with native Americans. To conclude, please don't believe the conjectures and assumptions of people who denigrate our people as a result of the uneducated and ignorant. The clowns that people believe are the representatives of our culture. Its not fair and its not right.
We don't burn books,
We don't enslave Haitians.
We don't ALL hate Haitans,
We are a complex mix of many cultures.
We speak a A VARIETY of Spanish, not a dialect.
We are not or no longer are spaniards or Spanish.
If I had more time I would rant longer but I gotta go.

MrTee12

Apr 4, 2010
I forgot to share this the other post I made here, but there is a docudrama on you tube about this very subject. I think you can find it if you look up inadash. She is the person that produces about 8 short films on Latino and black and the finding our identity and understanding the history of The Dominican Republic and our heritage. Thanks I would try to post a link but I am not sure how to do that, if I can figure it out I will add a link to one of the videos. Take care God bless
BiggsNegro: A Docu-Series about Latino Identity Pt. 1 - YouTube <------- I hope this works but it is a nice piece on youtube about this subject. enjoy

Great video. I actually started a thread about it some while back.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/videos/120880-black-latino.html

Unfortunately people couldn't handle the discussion properly and it was closed. This is one of those topics some people only discuss behind close doors where no one can really hear how they really feel. You know, race, religion, politics, sexuality, etc are the taboo topics. People get ultra offended! Hey we are all human. Just be true to yourself as long as it does hurt anyone.