Dominican History and heritage

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I like 'ancestry' Lando! Intelligent and descriptive. I will use it in the future.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Unfortunately people couldn't handle the discussion properly and it was closed.

This is not quite true buddy, at least on this forum.

This topic has been discussed numerous times over the years and inevitably those who propose that the DR is a Jim Crow, KKK wannabe society are frustrated when they can't convince gringos married to Dominicans nor much less a Dominican to think like they do.

The fact is race isn't nearly as important factor here in the DR as it is in the States. Certainly, colorism is a feature of society but to understand it's roots one has to look at the Haitian occupation instead of branding it anything similar to that of the US. In the end most of the time those who can't grasp the intricacies of Dominican colorism get frustrated and that's when threads start getting closed.

What is telling for me is while the DR is far from perfect, whether you are black or white there is a much less chance that you would be a victim of racism in the DR than in the US. Furthermore, when I get together with my friends here who are multiracial of all colors, few make any references to race other than the women talking about how everyone looks(that's what women do everywhere) while in the States in mixed race company most of the conversation is laced with racial undertones.