PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
This is Mexico:

poverty.jpg

And this the USA:
poverty_homeless.jpg

It's the norm for people like you here on DR1 to make it the standard for the DR as always...

Norskgutten

Nov 25, 2011
Now that is thinking out of the box. It is Unique, innovative and will certainly get noticed. Most buildings do not get noticed. It is history in the making. I wish I had designed the building! In Red Deer Alberta, an Architect named Doug Cardinal designed a church, very out of the norm. The people of the city basically drove him out of town because of the un-conventionality of the structure (St. Mary's Church). For this structure he later went on to win the Massy award for Architecture (Canada). The people of Red Deer realized that they disposed of a real Artist (their Golden Boy). Things take time to be aceppted, some ideas are too new and make us think. Doug Cardinal went on to design many structures throughout Canada and I feel that his prize structure to date was the Museum of Man in Ottawa.
So please do not give up on new designs to fast, let them settle, and see how it is finally accepted. And this all comes from a person who is a traditionalist! It is not for me to live or work in, but I can sure appreciate the creativity! The Art? and the genious that it took to creat the concept. Not all art is liked by everyone. Just as not everyone likes the same type of house, otherwise there might be just be just one ... a mobile home! Thank God for creativity! Embrase creativity!

Last edited:

PatriciaArcher

Jan 6, 2012
Just to post a few of the many Jetson's type (according to you) projects this guy has made in the DR...[/QUOTE]

Those are creative designs... Though I wouldn't use it. I love the Jetsons, though.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And THIS is the Dom.Rep.!
This is DR1,NOT "Mexico1"!
True to dominican form,
"It's worse everywhere else!
Thanks "PEE"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Now that is thinking out of the box. It is Unique, innovative and will certainly get noticed. Most buildings do not get noticed. It is history in the making. I wish I had designed the building! In Red Deer Alberta, an Architect named Doug Cardinal designed a church, very out of the norm. The people of the city basically drove him out of town because of the un-conventionality of the structure (St. Mary's Church). For this structure he later went on to win the Massy award for Architecture (Canada). The people of Red Deer realized that they disposed of a real Artist (their Golden Boy). Things take time to be aceppted, some ideas are too new and make us think. Doug Cardinal went on to design many structures throughout Canada and I feel that his prize structure to date was the Museum of Man in Ottawa.
So please do not give up on new designs to fast, let them settle, and see how it is finally accepted. And this all comes from a person who is a traditionalist! It is not for me to live or work in, but I can sure appreciate the creativity! The Art? and the genious that it took to creat the concept. Not all art is liked by everyone. Just as not everyone likes the same type of house, otherwise there might be just be just one ... a mobile home! Thank God for creativity! Embrase creativity!

This is really what Jimani needs, right? An expensive, modern structure built smack dab in the middle of one of the poorest regions of the country. Because it's not like the schools there are a #&%ing disaster or anything. At least the locals will have something to impress any Canadian hipster passing through.

I'm fascinated by the "archaeology of development", where infrastructure projects are foisted upon local populations to "solve" a problem. This is usually justified by some combination of a) ton of funding that "must" be spent up on something fast b) corruption/graft or c) some powerful person has a vision they want to be recognized for accomplishing by completing a physical structure of some kind. Then fast forward a decade and they turn into run-down, ancient ruins because no one wanted/needed/could keep it up to begin with. Then everyone is able to study the ruined project to try to figure out 'what went wrong' (if anyone even bothers, usually they don't).

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
WOW, Mr. P has posted some horrific images lately. CC, might know this one. Years ago some guy won awards for the design of Boston City Hall. They built it. 10 years later it was voted ugliest building in Boston.

That happens everywhere, here in Raleigh NC the new city court parking deck with the newest tech in weatherization, illumination, latest safety cameras system and check in and out for cash costumers...it's so ugly that people from the downtown area was protesting because it's disturbing people sight...

I think they are planing some arts to be posted on the walls to make it more attractive!

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
It's the norm for people like you here on DR1 to make it the standard for the DR as always...

If by making it the standard you mean presenting objective realities, you are correct.

Jimani is POOR, it is absurd to build something like this there when:

In Jimani, 70.2% of households are considered "poor", and 19.2% in "extreme poverty" (the national averages are 40.9% and 7.8%, respectively). Source: Focalizaci?n de la Pobreza en Republica Dominicana 2005

And there are so many other needs and opportunities for investment that would contribute more to improved living conditions for the local population.

At least save the "progress"/infrastructure grandstanding for some of the "better off" provinces.

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
I pass through the border and I can tell you it looks nothing like that! Maybe 50 or so years from now but not in the near future. And not one of those designs has yet to be completed in the city. If you look at the Johnny Rockets location you can already tell it will look nothing like the picture. Should concentrate more on Earthquake proof buildings and low income housing....not fancy pants look at what I can draw designs. Who does it benefit? Plus imagine what one of those structures would look like in the middle of a bunch of contemporary designed buildings.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
No.

Neyba Informativo: La Pobreza extrema abate a j?venes y ancianos de Boca de Cach?n en Jimani.

Are you that ashamed to acknowledge that many of your fellow Dominicans live in extreme poverty that you say they must be from Haiti?

I'm not ashamed of anything!

Jimani is practically a Haitian town! Less than 10% of the population can trace their Dominican lines to this side of the island!

You and others like you that don't know jack of the DR (as it shows by your posts) are the ones lost in the mix...

Extreme poverty and unending poverty in the DR was introduced to the DR by the never ending stream of the poorest to ever walk the earth from Haiti.

That's a fact, which is corroborated by the national database of the DR JCE's!

We have well over a million Haitians in the DR, born in Haiti of to both Haitian parents here. Not to mention the more than 500,000 + that's made up of intermarriage and kids born to the Dominicans and Haitians.

People that are disconnected to the DR from their roots, don't know of that (like you).

Poverty in the DR is a problem that was mainly reserved in the ghettos like Pueblo Nuevo and Baracoa once were, to name just two in Santiago City. For people like you that haven't lived the DR for their entire life, can't know of it.

A country that's divided by nothing from the poorest since 1804, as little chance to stop poverty from staying put and even growing in some areas.

Don't worry! Once Haiti and the DR finalize the regulation and ID issuing to the Haitians currently in the DR, you and others will get to know the real numbers and facts as the rest of us lived with them until now...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
If by making it the standard you mean presenting objective realities, you are correct.

Jimani is POOR, it is absurd to build something like this there when:

In Jimani, 70.2% of households are considered "poor", and 19.2% in "extreme poverty" (the national averages are 40.9% and 7.8%, respectively). Source: Focalizaci?n de la Pobreza en Republica Dominicana 2005

And there are so many other needs and opportunities for investment that would contribute more to improved living conditions for the local population.

At least save the "progress"/infrastructure grandstanding for some of the "better off" provinces.

Did you now that the Censo in the DR does NOT make distinctions between Haitian or Dominican households for poverty?

The investments in the border are for the Dominicans and the DR mostly!

You are completely disconnected from the reality of our border provinces and towns, not to even mention PEOPLE...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Do you know why so many Dominicans jump in the deep water of the Caribbean sea??? they are trying to make it to Puerto Rico in small boats for some reason.

Vamonos en AA = Agua alante y Agua atras.:(

JJ

I don't know the exact number to the kid, but I can bet you 100% is much less than historically left Puerto Rico to the US mainland and continue to flee poverty there...

Much less! They're lucky they can make the trip legally over in a plane, if not, the sharks around PR would have been pretty stuffed by now...

Migration is only normal when the grass is greener on the other side!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I pass through the border and I can tell you it looks nothing like that! Maybe 50 or so years from now but not in the near future. And not one of those designs has yet to be completed in the city. If you look at the Johnny Rockets location you can already tell it will look nothing like the picture. Should concentrate more on Earthquake proof buildings and low income housing....not fancy pants look at what I can draw designs. Who does it benefit? Plus imagine what one of those structures would look like in the middle of a bunch of contemporary designed buildings.

Render:
Slide06.jpg

Actual:
img01874201202121409.jpg

Render:
renderimageba7.jpg

Actual:

dasilva.jpg

Render:
dasilva.png

Actual:

img01842201202101616.jpg

Like usual...

Blah, blah, blah...

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
You and others like you that don't know jack of the DR (as it shows by your posts) are the ones lost in the mix...

Extreme poverty and unending poverty in the DR was introduced to the DR by the never ending stream of the poorest to ever walk the earth from Haiti.

...Not to mention the more than 500,000 + that's made up of intermarriage and kids born to the Dominicans and Haitians.

People that are disconnected to the DR from their roots, don't know of that (like you).
Don't worry! Once Haiti and the DR finalize the regulation and ID issuing to the Haitians currently in the DR, you and others will get to know the real numbers and facts as the rest of us lived with them until now...

You sound like a madman, you know that right? Like a real Dominican-Yol Hitler.

As far as my "credibility", I'd rather let other people be the judge on the accuracy and points raised in my posts. As far as numbers, bring them on, they are much welcomed. Y por DIOS, CITE YOUR SOURCES!

You are completely disconnected from the reality of our border provinces and towns, not to even mention PEOPLE...

LAUGHING OUT LOUD. As much as people disagree with each other on DR1, the one thing that people consistently and adamantly agree upon is that YOU are the one who is out of completely out of touch. Thread, after thread, after thread.

PICHARDO, let's not make this personal. You DON'T know me in any sense: personal, professional or academic. And I won't post details of my personal information in any of those realms on this public forum. We don't have the same agenda. That's ok. Just get over yourself and get on.

En fin, SHAME on you for denying the poverty of your fellow Dominicans in the frontier. I would love to take you on a personal tour of the pueblos of the Southwest so you can tell all of those extremely poor Dominicans how Haitian they are.

Warmest regards,

minerva_feliz

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
And this the USA:
poverty_homeless.jpg

Dear Sir - Have you been to my country? I'm not so patriotic to think America doesn't have it's share of problems, but the photo that you've posted is not 'typical' of America. It's the bottom 0.5%. Yet the photo posted of Jimani is the 50-70%. Some perspective is in order surely.

Personally I don't have a problem with the DR government taking 'creative' risks in building new essential government buildings. Great architecture inspires great thinking. There are many architecture and engineering graduates in the DR, and the more work for them to be creative and innovative, the better. They should really have contests and let students participate in designs, and let young people 'create their brand'.

But again, some perspective is needed. This level of investment could probably renovate 50 or 60 schools in the area, and THEY could be architecturally creative too...

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Extreme poverty and unending poverty in the DR was introduced to the DR by the never ending stream of the poorest to ever walk the earth from Haiti. That's a fact, which is corroborated by the national database of the DR JCE's!

We have well over a million Haitians in the DR, born in Haiti of to both Haitian parents here. Not to mention the more than 500,000 + that's made up of intermarriage and kids born to the Dominicans and Haitians.

Poverty in the DR is a problem that was mainly reserved in the ghettos like Pueblo Nuevo and Baracoa once were, to name just two in Santiago City.

Wow! I'm speechless.

I've never understood why Dominicans demonize Haitians so much? This ethnocentrism is foolish if you consider that both sides are descendants from African slaves. Perhaps different parts of Africa, but still, sold into slavery nonetheless...

So much for shared suffering resulting in brotherly love...

Status
Not open for further replies.