Dominican Slang Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Educated VS Chopo

So what if you are educated, like Hipolito. I know many Puerto Ricans from La Marqueta area in New York who have college degrees(educated) yet they are as rude and "insignificantes" as Hipolito Mejia. Hipolito is a bad example to our youth. He is promoting chopoism among our young. His slangs and phrases are not Dominican, they are just plain rude and backward language which does not help our culture.

I don't like Leonel Fernandez, who is a physically looking chopo, but at least he rises well above Hipolito in education, manners and style.

If someone's boyfriend uses "mamasota", I have to agree that this person is a chopo with no education at all.

TW

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]golo[/B] said:
I don't like Leonel Fernandez, who is a physically looking chopo...
For the enlightment of this poor, ignorant peasant, could you pls. explain to me the physical characteristics of a chopo? Does it have more to do with the color of the skin than the content of his character?

Please use short sentences and small words.

:rolleyes:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Pib: short sentence & small words

racism = ignorance

in short: whoever judges another by his look or color of his skin is an ignorant, I think there's a high rate of ignorance among Dominicans. To me a chopo is an a** kisser, there's all sorts of a** kissers among the Dominican elite.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
PIB

Leonel Fernandez was born a chopo. He is originally from the worst part of Villa Juana. His family has changed little. Even parts of his family who moved to Piantini have no manners. They bought an apartment with one parking space, yet have three cars. They take other people's spaces without permission. They throw gargabe on common areas, etc.

His skin has nothing to do with it. He still uses an afro for haircut. His suits are tailored to make him look like a chopo. His pant lenght is too long. He does not look good with double breasted suits. Chopos must wear two or three button suits to hide their lack of elegance. The double-breasted suit was made for tall, elegant men with a British demeanor. Hipolito wears double breasteds too. He looks like the Michelin boy wearing a suit. Hipolito also has this dumb iguana look when he turns his neck around to look the other way. He is the ultimate white chopo. In fact, Hipolito makes Leonel look like the Duke of Windsor, in spite of his white skin. His cowboy hats and chacabanas are the tackiest things in Dominican fashion.

TW

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
So back to the original question Golo --

So, what's your favorite Dominican Slang phrase GOLO?

Could it be ...

CHOPO??

:bandit:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
PIB

I take offense at the Joan Rivers thing. Joan and her daughter are two of the tackiest and loudest women on TV. They are chopo quality. While they analyze and critique fashion, they are among the worst dressed themselves. They are absolutely tacky women.

As for character, who says there is no chopo character?

Being a chopo is itself a character trait. The way a person acts and behaves is part of their character. Chopos have a way of being totally different from civilized people. Have you noticed how rude in their language are chopo children? The first thing a chopo child learns is the word "mamaguevo"

TW

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Thank you Rachel for steering us back to the OP

Some more Dominican idioms, proverbs and slangs?

• No se puede tener las dos puntas y la del medio.
    (You can't have the two ends and the middle), meaning that you can't have it both ways.
  • No tener "prigilio"
    Not being shy.
  • Mirarse el dedo gordo del pi?
    (To look at one's big toe). Being dead.
  • Un billete que atrae y un billetero que insiste...
    Used to mean that you can't trust a man when he is near attractive women.
  • Que Mar?a estaba lavando y se le perdio la batea
    A cheap excuse.
  • Mas jala una yunta de buelles...
    Hihi, I will let someone with less prigilio finish that one.

PS: Now TW go wash your mouth... with battery acid.

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Oye PIB

It seems to me that with you "me encontre con la tuza de mi maiz". Pero como burro no tiene oreja de raton, las palabras sobran. Si te caigo tan pesao, lo mejor es que te subas arriba de mi.

TW

Guynoir

Apr 29, 2002
Chopo

It is easy to call people chopo when you have luckily been born to a rich family in a country where the majority of the people is born poor. Certainly, I cansee you see yourself as superior because of your lighter skin. It is very easy to pick on the un-educated when you were lucky enough to leave your home country to get better education in a developed country. Though, I am sure you were born in the U.S and think of yourself as american, even though you know they will not accept you as such. Of course, you will not admit that, specially in this board.

I wonder how it would be if all human beings have had the same opportunities as some people who brag about their looks, education and economic status? Certainly, there would be those who would do nothing with them, but certainly the arrogance of some would be of a smaller scale. Unfornatetuly, hundreds of thousands of dominican children have to work awful hard shining shoes, selling flowers, newspapers and all sorts of stuff on the streets risking their lives, in order to help his parents support the family. In the meantime, those so called "americanized dominicans just seat and watch with shame at the poor command of their spanish, their old clothes and darkened skin. I tell you with dominicanos como tu nunca cambiaremos nuestro futuro.

Leonel Fernandez , independently of his looks, which by the way represents the majority of the dominicans, paid its dues and worked hard rising from extreme poverty into one of the most powerful political leaders in the D.R in this age. Now, that is something to be proud of and worthy of admiration.

Now, I would like to hear what are you doing to help the sad fate of the D.r. or do you even care? Hope you do. I do.

GN

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
I heard this on the radio this morning

Something about amet officers and la vista gorda

What does that mean???

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
being a Chopo is not necessarily related to financial worth. Many people with money are chopo while many of more moderate means are not.
It has to do with taste, class and manners. While it is true that it is difficult for a child raised in poverty to not be a chopo it is not impossible.

Tony C

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
Taino

Use the net and go to La Academia de Espana you need this site to expand on the words that have Indian origin. Many of these words are listed there they are not slang, but words that made into the Spanish frim the new world.

Guynoir

Apr 29, 2002
Chopo

Where do they use the word chopo anyway? Maybe if I had mexican-American, nicaraguan-american or peruvian-american friends I would have heard it by now. Never heard it used in La Republica Dominicana. Maybe I should spend more time around NY city.

Just wondering, GN

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Chopo is a strictly Dominican term. Other countries have their own words for the same type of people. In the US ther are many terms that are used.

Trailer Trash
K-Mart Shopper
Rap Artist
Democrat
ect.

Tony C

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
HA! Joan Rivers! Hee hee. :laugh:
(long sigh)
OK, back to the slang definitions, I like them, its good info to know.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Re: Chopo

"friends I would have heard it by now. Never heard it used in La Republica Dominicana. Maybe I should spend more time around NY city.

Just wondering, GN [/B][/QUOTE]"

My daughters boyfriend who is an American born Dominican from Washington Heights has never heard of this either. I asked my husband also who was born and raised in the DR and he has never heard of it either.

Last edited:

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What I learned about history.

Hillbilly, I bet you were kicked below the belt when you called your novia a momasota, your wife doesn't want to hear that.

Prof. Calderon at the Museo de Hombre in SD teaches that there were an estimated 800,000 - 1 million people living on the island when the Spanish arrived. 80% were Taino, the Arawaks were about 15% and the Siboneys were the other 5%. The latter two groups were much less sophisticated, more war-like, and located on the North East part of the island. The movement up from Venezuela started I think around 1500 years ago and they now believe groups also came directly over from Belize at other times.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Back to the word "chopo"

it's commonly used to refer to low class people. Many middle class call their maids "chopa", but that's a pejorative name used by ignorant people that think themselves above others, most ofted misguided by their ignorance and typical Dominican arrogance. A chopo is a person with no education and no respect for women, a chopa is a woman that has no self-respect and hangs out with chopos.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I thought it was a word Golo coined for a

stereotypical Dominican......
There are many chopos (according to Golo's definition) that are educated and have substantial money.
I had the feeling from Golo's numerous posts regarding chopos that it was more of an attitude and way of living........
Can anyone clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.