Dominican Slang Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
MommC

Didn't you participate in yet another lenghty thread about the word "chopo"? I remember Hillbilly and I replied to you. I totally adhere to Marilyn's statement.

I think Rob should also open the c-forum. Dedicated to the etimology and social implications of the word "chopo". :rolleyes:

edited by Pib to add:

link: http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=81627#post81627

BACK TO THE OP:

rrwells, hacerse de la vista gorda should not be translated literally without hillarious results. The correspoding translation in English would be "turning a blind eye" or something of the sort .

Last edited:

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Pib --

Thanks for answering my question..

All you Chopo-crazed DR1ers--

It's free to start your own thread

;)

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Right you are PIB!!!!

Where I learned that "chopa" even if meant to be in the literal sense (a housemaid) is never used in the literal sense and is ALWAYS derogatory.......(it has been purged from my vocabulary!).
However some of the post in this thread are stating what I also "felt". I had not heard the term "chopo" until I started reading Golo's posts (I've heard chulo and chulambrico). Can't find it in the dictionary either (altho' I only have a "pocket" edition) and it was actually my maid that told me "chopa" was a maid. She really couldn't explain "chopo" to me (yes I learn as much from her as she has learned from me- life IS a two way street).
So where does the term come from? Can you tell me? (Maybe we should ask Golo if there's anyone he doesn't consider a chopo!!??)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Where does the word Chopa comes from?

It is hard to tell. There are many stories, but none can be confirmed. I have heard that just like the term "pariguayo", which means many things, among others: nerd, fool, everyone's idiot,knuckle head, etc. etc., came from the english "party watcher"( A party watcher was a person that would drop by parties without being invited and just stood there watching. We call them "paracaidistas" today(parachutists), the term chopa could have come from "Chopped meat".

If it isn't, it is not far from what a chopo is. The chopo is the chopped meat of society. It is a vulgar person with rudimentary skills and style, roug around the edges, foul in its language and with a propensity to speak thru slangs. Chopos have no manners and little concern for its enviroment. They throw garbage on the streets, urinate anywhere, read newspapers backwards(sports and lottery winnings first), they are loud, listen to merengue and bachata from early morning hours, love to play dominoes on sidewalks, hand-dry their clothes from balconies, sit on sidewalks to eat, etc..

The majority of chopos are black or mestizos, with kinky hair, fat lips and noses. In the old days they wore gold teeth(Just like Tyson, the ultimate American chopo). But now whites are joining the chopo ranks in droves. As chopo-like Europeans remain in DR, more white are now joining. Italians and Germans are prone to chopoism, something that is not hard for many who come from blue collar areas. Notice how Germans easily switch to drinking a Presidente "Big one" straight from the bottle, just like chopos do. Beer is the drink of the poor and the uneducated. It is a "bleacher bum" drink.(Ever seen American chopos drinking beer at Shea Stadium without shirts on showing their big fat belly?)

Sorry if I offended many. It is the truth.

TW

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
We have all read the guide to chopo identification. But only recently, TW, have you added that anyone who drinks beer is a chopo. Although I prefer wine, a nice French Bordeaux fits me fine. I have to disagree, HEINEKEN is an acceptable high- class beer. It is a favorite with the business executives, drank in a glass of course. Thank you Dutchies!

Sincerely,
Miss Manners

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Beer is not the drink of the poor and uneducated. But you may believe that if you believe that the only beer in the world is what you can get from Grupo Leon Jimenes. If you KNOW about beer and the brewing process you know that a fine handcrafted beer is as subtle and distinguished as any fine wine.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the definition..........

Seems that this describes the majority of the masses and I think we all are prone to displaying some of these traits......
Opinions please!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the definition..........

Seems that this describes the majority of the masses and I think we all are prone to displaying some of these traits......
Opinions please!!
rrwells is quite correct about the beer! I personally am not a beer drinker however I do like the Presidente pilsner (one "glass" only please and NO bottles!) the Italian Peroni and a good English Porter Ale or stout after childbirth! All only one glass a day (I really can't imbibe more than that without becoming ill).
As a wine drinker I too feel that a good, carefully brewede beer ranks up there with the best wines and liquors!

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
The core problem is that one shouldn't be judged on what they drink (look like etc.) but on who they are.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Amen rrwells!!

chopo = derogatory term used by someone so scared of becoming it that they use it to describe everyone else.

And also, as said before, the ch-word being a derogatory term, not something that should be tossed around on this board like it's nothing!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Aguajero

Aguajero are people who are always boasting of things that are not real. For instance, Cuban Gusanos are the biggest aguajeros of all time. If you go to any coffe shop in Miami where Cubans meet you will hear the most outrageous stories ever made.

For all I know, all Cubans in Miami participated in the Bay of Pigs, making it the largest naval and land battle of all time. I know of no Cuban in Miami who was not super rich and owned vast acreages of land who were appropiated by Fidel. Most of them claim Magna Cum Laude university degrees and the fish they catch are the largest.

Dominicans are cheap aguajeros. They mostly boast of having dozens of women, including having as many as 10 orgasms.

TW

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Golo...

If beer is a drink of the poor and the uneducated, well, then I guess Canada is a chopo country! Everyone I know drinks beer straight from the bottle, including myself.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My dear TW

Although superior intelligence is not a requirement to post on this board, I am sure that we have the sufficient mental capacity to understand definitions of words without resorting to stereotypical exemplification (maybe I just made that word up). I would imagine that it is not easy for you to deal with us, simple, ignorant mortals, but pls. put up with us. Some of us, or maybe most of us find stereotypes based on race, social status or nationality very offending and a sign of stupidity and ignorance.

Of course you are not stupid or ignorant, I would never suggest that, oh almighty TW. Some of us would feel better if you were a little easier on us ye poor peasants; if it may pls. you, oh powerful TW.

I wonder why we always end up hijacking all threads and turning them into a bunch of crap : pondering :

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Aguajero

golo said:
Aguajero are people who are always boasting of things that are not real. For instance, Cuban Gusanos are the biggest aguajeros of all time. If you go to any coffe shop in Miami where Cubans meet you will hear the most outrageous stories ever made.

For all I know, all Cubans in Miami participated in the Bay of Pigs, making it the largest naval and land battle of all time. I know of no Cuban in Miami who was not super rich and owned vast acreages of land who were appropiated by Fidel. Most of them claim Magna Cum Laude university degrees and the fish they catch are the largest.

Dominicans are cheap aguajeros. They mostly boast of having dozens of women, including having as many as 10 orgasms.

TW

I am always amused when other Latins complain about the Cubans in Miami. Apparently jealousy makes them say stupid things. Like any other group ther are people who cause a Bad reflection on their people and Cubans are not immune. The fact of the matter is that The Cubans in Miami are the most sucessful immigrant group that ever came to the US. No group has ever achieved the Political, economic and cultural sucess that we have in such a short time. Their are 3 Cuban US congressmen. Soon there will be 4 due to redistricting. How many Dominican congressmen are there? President Bush is comming to Miami to celebrate Cuban Independence day soon and to celebrate Cuban American sucess. I don't see him planning on visiting Washington Heights any time soon!
Just for the record. I wasn't at the Bay of Pigs!(I am too young and I wouldn't have gone anyway) My father was comfortably Middle class. And the fish I have caught are not the largest even though I did land a 11 lb Bonefish on a Fly-rod a few weeks ago.
So TW are you going to tell me that Dominicans cannot be boastful as well? All one has to to is read some of yours and Onions&Carrots boast to know the truth!

Tony C.

Mar 21, 2002
A mi no me metan en sus lios. I find TW's posts entertaining but I have many chopo tastes. The only problem I have being around chopos is either they ask me for money or they like to burlarse de los demas. So I avoid chopo looking people like TW has stated.

Anyways I look like the LITTLE WHITE INNOCENT CUTE DUCK amongst those tigueres. Thus I best stay amongst my own kind. Only amongst white or indio claro. There can be some black or dark indian DR folk but they must have refined features and dress tasteful and moderate.

For my foreign friends who don't understand refined features I mean que no tengan la nariz de batata o los labios de llanta, los ojos de vaca se permiten. Pa no cansarlo que no parezca que vino de jayuya,que sea jallao o como un perro realengo.

There, plenty of dominican slang for all you rayanos.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2002
Maybe in Latin slang but not in dominican. You're sick. You should join the pedophile curas, gusano. I had a girlfriend once who use to call me that out of affection.

Status
Not open for further replies.