DR Considers Outlawing Guns

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I suspect the consideration of the law will remain a consideration. This thread could be merged into the one I started on this topic previously.

That one is in Off Topic, can't be merged here because too many non-DR posts in there.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Look at it this way. If they take away all guns from citizens, then all citizens are at the mercy of the criminals and even worse, the Police. They will have the guns and no one can protect themselves and their families. At lease legally they can't.

I don't believe there is any serious proposal to take all guns from law abiding citizens. What some are proposing more or less seriously is to turn the gun permits into ownership-not-carrying permits. Presumably you could still own a gun. But you couldn't carry it with you. Supposedly you would keep it always at home, for protection against intruders.

This wouldn't be that revolutionary. In some jurisdictions you can only carry a gun (with a legal permits) unloaded (and possibly in the trunk of your car).

Of course it'd be a terrible idea, nonetheless. This sort of measures just put law-abiding citizens at a disadvantage against lawless criminals who, by definition, do not obey any law, and would continue their activities unabated.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What always makes me nervous is the clowns at the banks etc who drag the point of their gun against the floor as if it is a cane or such. As if they do not realize what it is.

Don't worry about it. Most of them have no ammo anyway.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Also if this goes ahead, it'll probably start the same day as some kind of "volunteer police officer" or "part time security officer" program. I suspect they'll be some loophole to extend cronyism to legal gun ownership, and if that happens I think that would be a bad thing as well.

Exactly. If this will happen, I'll pay for such "volunteer police officer" or "part time security officer" documents.

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
Another example of ignorance perpetuating stupidity, the will of criminals kill people not Guns or knives. Guns are a tool as are kives, how they are used by a criminal can be illegal, the Gun is not evil or possessed, it can lay loaded on a shelf for years never harming a person until it is picked up with ill intent, or in defence against ill intent. I'm sure this will raise pulses and blood pressure, I would like to think common sense would overcome emotion. Just my opinion and 35 years of experence.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What always makes me nervous is the clowns at the banks etc who drag the point of their gun against the floor as if it is a cane or such. As if they do not realize what it is.

Are you afraid they will somehow shoot the floor? While I find it improper treatment of a firearm, I don't feel threatened by it.

Bad people with guns are a problem. Crazy people with guns are a problem. Normal people with guns are not the problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That guy just shot ten people. Now we can move him from the "Normal" list to the "Bad" list. Just happy we learned that before he shot my kid.

And so it goes. If we had everyone locked up in solitary confinement, then they could only hurt themselves.
If they were so inclined.

4*4*4, your responses in general on various topics are less than coherent.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Take this topic. Where did I lose you? How do you know who is bad?

In the DR, you have to pass a psychiatric exam when you apply for a firearms license. That is one way.
A criminal background check can be done. When I became a resident here, there was a criminal background check done. That is another way.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thread cleaned up, and non DR related posts removed.

If you want to talk about gun control in general, as opposed to in DR, go to the thread in Off Topic Forum.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I don't believe there is any serious proposal to take all guns from law abiding citizens. What some are proposing more or less seriously is to turn the gun permits into ownership-not-carrying permits. Presumably you could still own a gun. But you couldn't carry it with you. Supposedly you would keep it always at home, for protection against intruders.

This wouldn't be that revolutionary. In some jurisdictions you can only carry a gun (with a legal permits) unloaded (and possibly in the trunk of your car).

Of course it'd be a terrible idea, nonetheless. This sort of measures just put law-abiding citizens at a disadvantage against lawless criminals who, by definition, do not obey any law, and would continue their activities unabated.

Which is more or less allready the case in the dr, i am guessing.
You getLicencia de tenencia card/permit thingy,
And a seperate card/permit thingy, addendum autorizado para porte.
So all the power-that-be have to do, is make the 2nd much harder to obtain than the 1st.
That was my firsr point.

My second point would be "mettre la charrue avant les boeufs ",
Back in my campo in france, oh ! Suspicious characters looming around..... call police ( well gendarmerie in campo ), and woosh ! A patrol car comes round.....
Here in dr campo, you are lucky they answer the phone ( a 829 ### ## ## , number, BTW, very practical ), you are loto-type-lucky if they have gas in a car to actually come, and miracle-type-lucky if they do actually come.......

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Rule #1 on gun control. Dominican Republic, USA, Canada, Britain etc.
BAD GUYS WILL NOT SURREND THEIR GUNS.
If you think they will, then run for political office.
Only a complete idiot will think just because there is a gun law bad guys will follow it.
There bad guys. They don't follow the same rules

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Rule #2, people of virtually every other nation other than the USA have different values and opinions and are not lemming like.

Dominicans will make up their mind on this issue and their current law is not intended to promote gun ownership as anything but a means to provide self defense on ones property and for ones family.

They...Dominicans will make a decision on this and you need to man up and accept it if it goes against your thinking.

Stop wasting hot air...it is not our decision.....they have a law and are in process of amending it and maybe the events of the last few days will produce a result not to the liking of some but that is part of living in DR.

As gorgon said...if you don't like it you know where the airport is.

2% of the population in DR owns guns legally and that is perhaps enough and still a manageable threshold

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Rule #2, people of virtually every other nation other than the USA have different values and opinions and are not lemming like.

Dominicans will make up their mind on this issue and their current law is not intended to promote gun ownership as anything but a means to provide self defense on ones property and for ones family.

They...Dominicans will make a decision on this and you need to man up and accept it if it goes against your thinking.

Stop wasting hot air...it is not our decision.....they have a law and are in process of amending it and maybe the events of the last few days will produce a result not to the liking of some but that is part of living in DR.

As gorgon said...if you don't like it you know where the airport is.

2% of the population in DR owns guns legally and that is perhaps enough and still a manageable threshold

yup, ju10. if your life includes an imperative to own a gun, go back to the USA and buy yourself an armory, and a few RPGs while you are at it.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For the most part , it's not the legal guns that are doing most of the killing.

I am sure the families of Juancito and the PLD supporters shot at the weekend will feel better knowing this.

Carried guns are the issue for DR whether legal or illegal, and not legal gun ownership licensed under the exiting law to protect person, family and property.

Let the Dominicans review and modify their laws to try and address such issues.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am sure the families of Juancito and the PLD supporters shot at the weekend will feel better knowing this.

Carried guns are the issue for DR whether legal or illegal, and not legal gun ownership licensed under the exiting law to protect person, family and property.

Let the Dominicans review and modify their laws to try and address such issues.

No guns, they would machetes or poison. The issue is the lack of regard for human life, not the method used.