Edenorte

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I always have wanted to compare to my bill in france, but of course never got round to it.......
By the way a couple of months ago I asked for my bill on internet.
Arrives every 8 th, amazing.
Except the first try where they sent it in a format unknown to western tablets.......

Before of course they never got round to delievring the bill, no one has heard of a post office here in the campo......
But there is one!!! I have successfully recieved goodies and sweeties from europe and the states!!
Anyway so u were always behind on the dates.......

The xmas time "bonus" gets at me big time!!!! Somewhow u always consume half as much again in december/january...... go figure.

Anyway u get my rant.

I HATE EDeNoRTE!! ( a bit less now thanks to internet.....pfewww).

donP

Dec 14, 2008
... About 12-20 Edenorte Management team meet on our block every week in a huge house that is rented for them. The electric is never out when they are there and sometimes meet all day We have also seen them have parties there. I guess our ridiculous electric rates help pay for this.

PLEASE_DO_NOT_FEED_THE_MONKEYS_1_500.jpg

Get solar panels!

donP

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
At the local radio station they were talking about Edenorte. It was said, that Edenorte is now fixing the lines everywhere in the area of Puerto Plata. When they finish there will be no fix prices anymore, like people paying 200 pesos per month no matter how much electricity they use. They will also take away the different prices on the bill.. That means we will all pay a fix price per KW - no matter if we spend 200 KW or 2000 KW.
They have installed completely new lines and transformers in the area where I live. We have now electricity 24/7 ( almost) and the quality is really good. However my bills have changed and we pay 11.10 pesos per KW - from the first to the last KW….
If this is going to happen everywhere ? I don’t know - however they said so at the radio.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Wow!!! I would be paying 14 000 pesos a month in bavaro.........arghhhhh salami and platano 4 times a week!!!!!!
4.44 pesos a kwh for the first 200
6.97 for the next 100
10.86 after...... but I try to stay out of that zone........

What do u guys consume in kwh a month????
I try and stay under 400, with difficulty......

Yikes...
In Montreal (Hydro Qu?bec)...
The first 30 kWh per day...... 5 cents per (+/- 2pesos)
Over and above................... 8 cents per (+/- 3pesos)

Life is good. But then again we have to heat our places in the winter soooo........
In the summer monthes I do manage to stay at or around 400kWh, but come the winter all bets are off.

Last edited:

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
The whole Luz issue is why I bought in Bavaro. Despite using the dryer three times a day, running the fans non stop and a/c all night it is still cheaper than what I pay in Ontario thanks to those debt retirement charges and those delivery charges. I actually got a bill there once that was sixty dollars in electricity usage and almost ninety dollars in fees and taxes. Not to mention they charge you double for having the audacity to not stay awake until three am to do the laundry.
I will not complain about the electricity in the DR. Mind you, I have only gone without for a total of less than hour this whole winter. Worth 15 pesos a kwh to me.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
NO wood stove? When I am at my sister's place in Maine I spend a few days every summer carrying in wood into her woodshed attached to the side of her house. That is what she uses. I never got into it when I lived in the North, but I escaped in about 1980.

No way, no how.
We don't burn wood in Montreal anymore.
That's okay if you are out in the middle of nowhere but, in the city.....too congested for such a thing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I always have wanted to compare to my bill in france, but of course never got round to it.......

on my last trip i compared our bill to my mom's. we pay about 50 bucks. she pays about 50 bucks too. only that her bill is quarterly, not monthly. so 3 times less in total, for uninterrupted supply...

the newest bill cut on the day they installed 24/7 power no next month i will know how much will be pay for this honour.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We all enjoy the luxury to be able to "Bitch & Moan" about our electric bills here in the DR.
We mostly have alternative power sources to use when there is no "Luz" from the street.
The vast majority of Dominicans just get to sit in the dark and sweat!
OR, they can go to Santo Domingo, and ride the "Metro" to nowhere!
As long as "Paying " for electricity use is a political issue, don't expect any great price reuctions, or improved service.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
The whole Luz issue is why I bought in Bavaro. Despite using the dryer three times a day, running the fans non stop and a/c all night it is still cheaper than what I pay in Ontario thanks to those debt retirement charges and those delivery charges. I actually got a bill there once that was sixty dollars in electricity usage and almost ninety dollars in fees and taxes. Not to mention they charge you double for having the audacity to not stay awake until three am to do the laundry.
I will not complain about the electricity in the DR. Mind you, I have only gone without for a total of less than hour this whole winter. Worth 15 pesos a kwh to me.

Not sure where you are in the Dominican, but here in Puerto Plata, when we use the air about 3 hours a day in the summer, and run 4 ceiling fans all day, wash twice a week and watch TV about 3 hours a night, as well as use the PC about 4 hours a day, our kw are usually around 550 which at your 15 pesos a kwh, would be 8250 pesos or 200 US. NOT GOOD!!!!!

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
In the US (Northern Michigan) you have 2 bills, one fore electric and one for your gas which is usually what you use for heat. If you used electric to heat your house you would go broke fast. Before we moved here in 2012 we lived in Ann Arbor, a fairly large college town, we had a 900sq ft 2 story town house. Our gas bill, which was just the heat, everything else was electric was on average $150US a month from Oct-March (if it was a bitter winter like this past one you could have a heat bill as high as $300 for that size home) And our electric was on top of that....we both worked so TV on a couple of hours at night, usually a small light, cooked on electric stove and 2 loads of laundry and dryer a week and that bill was on average$75 a month in the winter...now when you get to summer and use fans or a/c in just the bedroom the bill would double!
I am happy with my electric bill here! I buy propane when I need it for the stove and our bill is about 1300 pesos for running ceiling fans 24/7, TV a few hours, computer a few hours, washer several times a week (no dryer)...the highest it has ever been is 2100 pesos and we used the a/c in the bedroom at night in Oct and Nov....so I figure it's cheaper here! (even if the power goes out every now and then)

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
In the US (Northern Michigan) you have 2 bills, one fore electric and one for your gas which is usually what you use for heat. If you used electric to heat your house you would go broke fast. Before we moved here in 2012 we lived in Ann Arbor, a fairly large college town, we had a 900sq ft 2 story town house. Our gas bill, which was just the heat, everything else was electric was on average $150US a month from Oct-March (if it was a bitter winter like this past one you could have a heat bill as high as $300 for that size home) And our electric was on top of that....we both worked so TV on a couple of hours at night, usually a small light, cooked on electric stove and 2 loads of laundry and dryer a week and that bill was on average$75 a month in the winter...now when you get to summer and use fans or a/c in just the bedroom the bill would double!
I am happy with my electric bill here! I buy propane when I need it for the stove and our bill is about 1300 pesos for running ceiling fans 24/7, TV a few hours, computer a few hours, washer several times a week (no dryer)...the highest it has ever been is 2100 pesos and we used the a/c in the bedroom at night in Oct and Nov....so I figure it's cheaper here! (even if the power goes out every now and then)

First of all, don't know why you are using AC only in Oct. or Nov. That's when we stop using AC. What about April - Sept. when it is the hottest? I can tell you that after they installed the new meters in our area about a yr. ago, that my electric bill went up about 30% per month. I know for a fact, as I monitored the meter when using AC, that it increases the amt. per kwh about 1/2 kwh per hour. So if you are using your AC for 8 hours and have the new meter installed, your increase would be at least 4 kwh more per day or 120 per 30 days. Something does not make sense in your assessment. We only use our 15,000 BTU AC for 2-21/2 hours a night and our 12,000 BTU in the bedroom for 2 hrs a night, and our bill is never below 3,500 pesos. Our home is 90 sq. meters, but only AC the lv. rm or bedroom for those amount of hours. Having moved here from FL 5 years ago. We had central air, which ran all day long in a 2200 sq. ft. home (as I worked out of the home) and the average bill was $250 a month. If we ran AC 24 hours for our entire home here, which is less than 1/2 the size of our home in FL. I guarantee it would be at least $500 a month or more. So, am I happy with the electric here, a BIG NO!!!!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not sure where you are in the Dominican, but here in Puerto Plata, when we use the air about 3 hours a day in the summer, and run 4 ceiling fans all day, wash twice a week and watch TV about 3 hours a night, as well as use the PC about 4 hours a day, our kw are usually around 550 which at your 15 pesos a kwh, would be 8250 pesos or 200 US. NOT GOOD!!!!!

Keep in mind that running a fan is only of use if there is a person in the room with the fan. If you are running ceiling fans in unoccupied rooms, it is a waste of energy and money.

shak4u

Jun 28, 2010
Keep in mind that running a fan is only of use if there is a person in the room with the fan. If you are running ceiling fans in unoccupied rooms, it is a waste of energy and money.

Not really, as we tried that a couple of years ago, when we went away for a day. Our home is 1 story with a 9 ft wall surrounding it, which allows for no air flow whatsoever. When we returned, it was well over 100 deg. This makes the Refrig. work harder and when we turn on the air, it takes an hour to cool down. When fans run, which use an infinitesimal amount of kwhs, it only goes to about 85 deg. in the house and only takes about 15 minutes to cool down, as well as the refrig does not have to work harder. I don't believe your premise is accurate in regards to saving electric in our type of situation.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
The DR is known to have one of the worst electric outings in the world, but what is going on with Edenorte now? Every week the electric is out about 17-20 hours. We live in Torre Alta, one of the nicest areas in Puerto Plata and you would think that they could at least have a little better electric service here. Last night it went out at 2am and didn't come back on until 8:30am. As I was typing this at 2pm it just went out again for about 10 minutes. This electric company (Edenorte) is the pits.

As the late great Richard Pryor once said; "You order sh!t, you eat sh!t".