Expats Living in the DR

As an expat living at least 3 months every year in the DR, how would you rate your experience?

• Very Good

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Good

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Fair

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Bad

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
An interesting video was posted a few days ago about expats in the DR and what several of them have to say about living in the DR. Hence the poll.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
If you want to just eat, drink and enjoy the sun and the abundance of tropical fruit. If you can afford that. It’s amazing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The video does demonstrate what I have seen over the past 20 years as the north coast has transitioned from tourism to more expats.

(Canada was treated as two different countries - :unsure::love:)

Where did the Dutch go? You know the ones from Holland or the Netherlands or whatever it is called, so confusing, and a German is actually interviewed.

Reactions: bachata

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The video does demonstrate what I have seen over the past 20 years as the north coast has transitioned from tourism to more expats.

Is that only on the North Coast then ? It doesn’t seem to be the case anywhere else in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is that only on the North Coast then ? It doesn’t seem to be the case anywhere else in the DR.
Yes: I think so, but I have little knowledge of what is going on in Punta Cana other than what I see in the news.

The north coast in specific lost tourists and many flights to POP as Punta Cana dominated and took over the tourism and far more easy flights,
Cause and effect because of Punta Cana's many AI resorts and other developments down south.

And then with the Wuhan Flu, many people came to escape the nonsense in the USA and Canada.
More Americans are coming than previously to retires and/or be snowbirds.

And those expats are still coming as is demonstrated in this video.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I could not think of a place that I would like less than the north coast (with a horde of ex-pats) to live in, retire in or visit. :cool:

Reactions: AlaPlaya

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I could not think of a place that I would like less than the north coast (with a horde of ex-pats) to live in, retire in or visit. :cool:
My wife and I like it just fine and dandy, but then we hate Santo Domingo and would very much find the Florida Flat of Punta Cana just not at all to our liking. Even being from Jarabacoa, she doesn't take kindly to being there very long. So here we are on the north coast.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And furthermore, the terrain of the north coast is far better for me than other locations in the DR. The people where I live I have always been able to ignore, for the most part. Same as when I lived in California. I really liked the area I was in there, but the douche bag liberals had to be ignored.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For the OP, I don't think of an expat as someone who spends part of their time in the DR.
A person who is here 3 to 6 months in the winter is a snowbird who probably avoids the inconvenience of being here legally.

Expatriates are those the live outside their home country.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My wife and I like it just fine and dandy, but then we hate Santo Domingo and would very much find the Florida Flat of Punta Cana just not at all to our liking. Even being from Jarabacoa, she doesn't take kindly to being there very long. So here we are on the north coast.
Take no personal offense wind. To each his own. We know your hatred for SD...Enjoy your life as you please.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And furthermore, the terrain of the north coast is far better for me than other locations in the DR. The people where I live I have always been able to ignore, for the most part. Same as when I lived in California. I really liked the area I was in there, but the douche bag liberals had to be ignored.
You ignore" them? I could clearly see it the other way around. (LOL).No offense as all is fine and dandy with you and wifiy and dats all that counts.

• Haha

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For the OP, I don't think of an expat as someone who spends part of their time in the DR.
A person who is here 3 to 6 months in the winter is a snowbird who probably avoids the inconvenience of being here legally.

Expatriates are those the live outside their home country.
And SHAME on him. Seriously, keep your nose clean and your boots polished and every thing will come up roses.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
ever since Elvis closed his establishment and few other good restaurants closed, Cab has lost its luster. I do like restaurant Bliss.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Where did the Dutch go? You know the ones from Holland or the Netherlands or whatever it is called, so confusing, and a German is actually interviewed.
It’s The Netherlands, our language is Dutch, Holland is only two provinces, one were The Hague (must ring you a bell), and Rotterdam is.
The other Holland is were Amsterdam is situated.
Dutch is not Deutsch, the German word for the German language.

So take some time to learn this, if you wish.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It’s The Netherlands, our language is Dutch, Holland is only two provinces, one were The Hague (must ring you a bell), and Rotterdam is.

You know for many Dominicans all of The Netherlands is Holanda but, for many Dominicans all of the USA is Nueba Yol, all of the DR is Santo Domingo, etc.

If some expats are starting to call all of The Netherlands Holland, consider it must be effects from the Dominican water (when they get it, lol.)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

lowland Germans, LOL. Lots of both in my ancestry. Dey, kersenaar, van Buskirk, Ellis, Jacobus, Baard, Ackkerman...etc.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
You know for many Dominicans all of The Netherlands is Holanda but, for many Dominicans all of the USA is Nueba Yol, all of the DR is Santo Domingo, etc.

If some expats are starting to call all of The Netherlands Holland, consider it must be effects from the Dominican water (when they get it, lol.)
It is confusing I think.
Paises Bajos, but when you speak about the people you should say correctly neerlandeses, not holandeses and the language neerlandés not holandés.
But I think they became synonyms.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
lowland Germans, LOL. Lots of both in my ancestry. Dey, kersenaar, van Buskirk, Ellis, Jacobus, Baard, Ackkerman...etc.
Would that be “Ackerman”? I had a friend who had that last name, from the north of the Netherlands with the German border.