Expats Living in the DR

As an expat living at least 3 months every year in the DR, how would you rate your experience?

• Very Good

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Good

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Fair

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Bad

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My next move when I get back to US is to send a small SUV to DR so I can have a reliable transportation here. I also want to buy a scooter to keep it in Sosua.

JJ

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Elvis had the bar/restaurant at the end of the road from Janets, across from the Valero. It was there for years before he was sent to jail. The French restaurant next to his establishment moved. It had one of the best views in Cab.
I assume that all the "young ladies" who worked in this brothel were Dominican debutantes who wore ball gowns and genuine Chanel perfume to make it worthy of your custom. They would probably welcome your arrival in your top hat and tails, handing out lavish tips to all and sundry.

• Haha
Reactions: aarhus and windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I assume that all the "young ladies" who worked in this brothel were Dominican debutantes who wore ball gowns and genuine Chanel perfume to make it worthy of your custom. They would probably welcome your arrival in your top hat and tails, handing out lavish tips to all and sundry.
I think they also accepted Marriott Rewards points, no?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
From what I have observed the expats who are most comfortable and happy are the ones who manage to still have a strong connection to their country of origin. Nals himself I believe has combined his life between the United States and the DR.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
From what I have observed the expats who are most comfortable and happy are the ones who manage to still have a strong connection to their country of origin. Nals himself I believe has combined his life between the United States and the DR.
I'm definitely the exception to that.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Ah yes, those were indeed the best of times my dear Sir.
Now would you please be so kind as to pass me the Grey Poupon?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Depends on the individual. I spent years in the DR before starting to travel back and forth more often to the USA and was very content. Also, a lot of it has to do with family some of us still have in our country of origin. That would be most people's strong connection I would think. Especially when those family members get older.

Reactions: CristoRey

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I don’t observe expats that often but you are right in my case.
More than two months and I start to miss the finer things in life, apart from the terrible heat and humidity which I hate.

Reactions: David B

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I don’t observe expats that often but you are right in my case.
More than two months and I start to miss the finer things in life, apart from the terrible heat and humidity which I hate.
It was more in the past since 2005 from living in the DR until I left over a year ago. Just from the expats I have met during the years do I have the impression.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Depends on the individual. I spent years in the DR before starting to travel back and forth more often to the USA and was very content. Also, a lot of it has to do with family some of us still have in our country of origin. That would be most people's strong connection I would think. Especially when those family members get older.
Exactly why I decided to spend this summer here in Florida. In the beginning I was only coming up here once every 3 or 4 years, now I come at least once a year.

Reactions: keepcoming

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It was more in the past since 2005 from living in the DR until I left over a year ago. Just from the expats I have met during the years do I have the impression.
I haven’t met that many expats to tell you the truth. I had a French couple renting an apartment we own, they didn’t impress me if you know what I mean.
That’s about it.
Most of our so called friends are family (ex gerente Bahia Principe and ex consul, not ex BIL) but he is Spanish, that does hardly count, the very kind owners of supermarket “EXTRA” in Gaspar Hernandez, they even visited us here. They are expats in the sense they are from Santiago and moved as kids to NY and bought the place a couple of years ago.
That’s about it.
It’s me. Not very easy, critical, HSP. So locals fit me better. Apart from their bloody music (not El Prodigio).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are quite a few Expats here in Jarabacoa but I don't know most of them. There are a bunch of JWs, several who I know to talk to, several Canadians married to Dominican women that are fully Dominicanized, two women from Argentina, a French-Canadian woman, several families from Colombia, several Cubans Doctors and Dentists, A painter (artist) from Guatemala, a few Germans, some Puerto Ricans, Lots of American missionary types with at least three Christian schools that are mainly staffed with young American teachers. Students INTERNATIONAL has a large complex here with a physiotherapist and Dental office. The Physiotherapist is Nicaragaun and there is a rotating group of students all year around coming to help and get experience. Lots in the hills around Jarabacoa.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are quite a few Expats here in Jarabacoa but I don't know most of them. There are a bunch of JWs, several who I know to talk to, several Canadians married to Dominican women that are fully Dominicanized, two women from Argentina, a French-Canadian woman, several families from Colombia, several Cubans Doctors and Dentists, A painter (artist) from Guatemala, a few Germans, some Puerto Ricans, Lots of American missionary types with at least three Christian schools that are mainly staffed with young American teachers. Students INTERNATIONAL has a large complex here with a physiotherapist and Dental office. The Physiotherapist is Nicaragaun and there is a rotating group of students all year around coming to help and get experience. Lots in the hills around Jarabacoa.
I have never found JW to be very friendly. The ones I have run into keep to themselves and barely acknowledge my existence if I say hello to them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is an expat scam
———————

Network dismantled in Operation Discovery 2.0 scammed hundreds of Americans​

https://www.diariolibre.com/actuali...ery-20-estadounidenses-fueron-estados/2423756

The members of a transnational network of cybercriminals defrauded hundreds of US citizens from Dominican territory through scams, extortion and identity theft , the Public Ministry reported this Friday.
The network was dismantled during Operation Discovery 2.0 , after a thirteen-month investigation and was carried out with the support of the Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) agency in New York City, United States. The amount that the scams would involve has not yet been reported.
To dismantle the network, more than 15 simultaneous raids were carried out in the provinces of Santiago and Puerto Plata . This operation led to the arrest of more than 20 people, whose identities have not been revealed by the authorities.
The network had its operational center in Santiago, with a territorial scope in Puerto Plata. They also made intimidating phone calls, sent medicines using "delivery" and even usurped official functions of the United States, including that of FBI agents. On that occasion, in addition to Santiago and Puerto Plata, the raids included Santo Domingo and La Vega. Its main victims were pensioners.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is an expat scam
———————

Network dismantled in Operation Discovery 2.0 scammed hundreds of Americans​

https://www.diariolibre.com/actuali...ery-20-estadounidenses-fueron-estados/2423756

The members of a transnational network of cybercriminals defrauded hundreds of US citizens from Dominican territory through scams, extortion and identity theft , the Public Ministry reported this Friday.
The network was dismantled during Operation Discovery 2.0 , after a thirteen-month investigation and was carried out with the support of the Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) agency in New York City, United States. The amount that the scams would involve has not yet been reported.
To dismantle the network, more than 15 simultaneous raids were carried out in the provinces of Santiago and Puerto Plata . This operation led to the arrest of more than 20 people, whose identities have not been revealed by the authorities.
The network had its operational center in Santiago, with a territorial scope in Puerto Plata. They also made intimidating phone calls, sent medicines using "delivery" and even usurped official functions of the United States, including that of FBI agents. On that occasion, in addition to Santiago and Puerto Plata, the raids included Santo Domingo and La Vega. Its main victims were pensioners.
I know people who were involved in this as did most expats who have been involved in the call center/ outsourcing business in the DR. They had a long run. It made national headlines a few years ago. Most were deportees and have been released to continue doing the same thing. Sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I know people who were involved in this as did most expats who have been involved in the call center/ outsourcing business in the DR. They had a long run. It made national headlines a few years ago.
The link in the post for the News article is dated yesterday.