Expats Living in the DR

As an expat living at least 3 months every year in the DR, how would you rate your experience?

• Very Good

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Good

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Fair

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Bad

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Would that be “Ackerman”? I had a friend who had that last name, from the north of the Netherlands with the German border.
Well, some of her documentation has one K, and some has two K's. At the time they came to North America that was the spelling and Kersenaar was born1737 in Heiliges Römisches Reich, but no town identified. I have another ancestor, Petrus Gud that was born in Prussia, immigrated to England and became Peter Goode. Many of them emigrated to NY, and lived in Harlem NY , when it was still occupied by Indigenous people.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It would be rated much higher if they could control the trash, and motos flagrantly violating the roads.
And if animals were better cared for by Dominicans (in general), with more qualified treatment facilities.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It would be rated much higher if they could control the trash, and motos flagrantly violating the roads.
And if animals were better cared for by Dominicans (in general), with more qualified treatment facilities.
Agree with the trash and the traffic, CB, but I have never seen anyone mistreat an animal in my almost 5 years here. They don't pamper them like some in the USA but they feed and water them daily.

Reactions: David B

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It’s The Netherlands, our language is Dutch, Holland is only two provinces, one were The Hague (must ring you a bell), and Rotterdam is.
The other Holland is were Amsterdam is situated.
Dutch is not Deutsch, the German word for the German language.

So take some time to learn this, if you wish.
I wouldn't bother with explaining it, lol
As my Dutch friends over there used to say
"Een kale kip kun je niet plukken"
(had to use google translate to make sure I got right ;))

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Agree with the trash and the traffic, CB, but I have never seen anyone mistreat an animal in my almost 5 years here. They don't pamper them like some in the USA but they feed and water them daily.
Well we live in different neighborhoods. I literally came to blows twice with two different Dominicans try to whack dogs with machetes

• Sad
Reactions: windeguy

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I watched the video that inspired this poll last night. It should have been called "Foreigners who stay a while in Sosua", not "Expats Living in the DR". As Windeguy said, most of the people had not been here long. And he should have gone to places like Las Terrenas, Boca Chica, Jarabacoa and the Capital if he wanted to give a true idea of the expat experience in the country.

I soon realised it was a video by "Mr T", whose videos I used to think of as informative. However, he went off the rails during covid and became a dedicated spreader of conspiracy theories, holding court to anyone who would listen in Sosua and Cabarete and handing out paper flyers to all and sundry. I lost interest after that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You ignore" them? I could clearly see it the other way around. (LOL).No offense as all is fine and dandy with you and wifiy and dats all that counts.
"The other way around", ;) ? If so, I could care less.

When I lived in California for 10 years, I knew two of my neighbors well enough to have a conversation with them in the development of freestanding houses where I lived. I was the token white guy and virtually everyone else was an "Expat in the USA" working in silicon valley. My neighbors were from Taiwan, China, India and Viet Nam.

There are more people born in the US where I am now in Cabarete in my development, and I know far more people. Some quite good and some really bad. One who was on the most wanted list back in the USA. Another settled with the IRS. Anyway, I try ignore the bad ones, but some have lived next door. I have been asked multiple times, and politely refused, to be in charge of the community association, so the people in general must really hate me to wish such a job on me.

When I had the band called The DRopouts and played in Cabarete and Sosua years ago, people would come up to me and start conversations about how glad they were to hear some "words they can dance to , or a melody that rhymes" to borrow a line from a Jimmy Buffet song. Those day are long gone for me with all the other expats and transients that come through with their acoustic guitars and play for next to nothing or at open mics. It's like Deaj Vu all over again. Pun intended.
And SHAME on him. Seriously, keep your nose clean and your boots polished and every thing will come up roses.
I was in a band in NY where the lead singer wrote a song. The song name was "Between the Lines". I found out he wrote it about me because of how "straight" I was (or at least he thought so) . I was a legal resident in the DR before I moved here 20 years ago in September. Now I am a naturalized DR citizen. I have sponsored 6 people to live legally in the USA. Does it piss me off when there are illegal aliens in either country where I am a citizen? Yes , it does.
Take no personal offense wind. To each his own. We know your hatred for SD...Enjoy your life as you please.
I almost never take offense. Most of the time I am simply amused. I have been a full time Expat in the DR since September of 2003.

Reactions: CristoRey and Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ever since Elvis closed his establishment and few other good restaurants closed, Cab has lost its luster. I do like restaurant Bliss.
What establishment was that and where was Elvis from?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It’s The Netherlands, our language is Dutch, Holland is only two provinces, one were The Hague (must ring you a bell), and Rotterdam is.
The other Holland is were Amsterdam is situated.
Dutch is not Deutsch, the German word for the German language.

So take some time to learn this, if you wish.
I was born in the sister city of Amsterdam. It is in NY. Rotterdam is just a short distance away toward Albany which is the state capitol.
We had a renter in Cabarete once, named Vedder. When I mentioned I had heard the name before, since it was the name of a street in town.
She asked what town and I found out we were both from the Amsterdam in NY. She mentioned it was her ancestors, the Vedders, that originally
settled Amsterdam, NY.

I am aware of all of the above, it is just amusing how confusing it can be for others who hear of this Nether World where it is the Netherlands, with Holland, the Hague and a Dutch language. Thanks for the concise explanation.

Reactions: Fulano2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, some of her documentation has one K, and some has two K's. At the time they came to North America that was the spelling and Kersenaar was born1737 in Heiliges Römisches Reich, but no town identified. I have another ancestor, Petrus Gud that was born in Prussia, immigrated to England and became Peter Goode. Many of them emigrated to NY, and lived in Harlem NY , when it was still occupied by Indigenous people.
I went to high school in Amsterdam with a Barbara Ackerman. Amsterdam, NY, that is.

I think that video made my point about The Netherlands better than I could ever do it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
elvis a connected dominican local ran a low key 'gentleman's club' down the road from Janets
I see. That was the establishment that ended up in Sosua for a short time after it was closed down by the authorities in Cabarete.
Elvis is such a common name here, I wanted to be sure it was one and the same.

Big, did that elevate Sosua's luster for a while during the brief time Elvis had his brothel in Sosua?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"The other way around", ;) ? If so, I could care less.

When I lived in California for 10 years, I knew two of my neighbors well enough to have a conversation with them in the development of freestanding houses where I lived. I was the token white guy and virtually everyone else was an "Expat in the USA" working in silicon valley. My neighbors were from Taiwan, China, India and Viet Nam.

There are more people born in the US where I am now in Cabarete in my development, and I know far more people. Some quite good and some really bad. One who was on the most wanted list back in the USA. Another settled with the IRS. Anyway, I try ignore the bad ones, but some have lived next door. I have been asked multiple times, and politely refused, to be in charge of the community association, so the people in general must really hate me to wish such a job on me.

When I had the band called The DRopouts and played in Cabarete and Sosua years ago, people would come up to me and start conversations about how glad they were to hear some "words they can dance to , or a melody that rhymes" to borrow a line from a Jimmy Buffet song. Those day are long gone for me with all the other expats and transients that come through with their acoustic guitars and play for next to nothing or at open mics. It's like Deaj Vu all over again. Pun intended.

I was in a band in NY where the lead singer wrote a song. The song name was "Between the Lines". I found out he wrote it about me because of how "straight" I was (or at least he thought so) . I was a legal resident in the DR before I moved here 20 years ago in September. Now I am a naturalized DR citizen. I have sponsored 6 people to live legally in the USA. Does it piss me off when there are illegal aliens in either country where I am a citizen? Yes , it does.

I almost never take offense. Most of the time I am simply amused. I have been a full time Expat in the DR since September of 2003.
Hip Hip Hooray!!!!😅😂🤣

Big

Apr 24, 2019
What establishment was that and where was Elvis from?
Elvis had the bar/restaurant at the end of the road from Janets, across from the Valero. It was there for years before he was sent to jail. The French restaurant next to his establishment moved. It had one of the best views in Cab.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I see. That was the establishment that ended up in Sosua for a short time after it was closed down by the authorities in Cabarete.
Elvis is such a common name here, I wanted to be sure it was one and the same.

Big, did that elevate Sosua's luster for a while during the brief time Elvis had his brothel in Sosua?
I think Elvis had a short run in Sosua and was so large he got too much attention. His place in Cab. as indicated was a low-key restaurant bar and just a great gathering spot. I am not a big mamajuana drinker, but he had the best recipient.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think Elvis had a short run in Sosua and was so large he got too much attention. His place in Cab. as indicated was a low-key restaurant bar and just a great gathering spot. I am not a big mamajuana drinker, but he had the best recipient.
That is how I recall it as well. A very short run in Sosua after Cabarete booted him out.