Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wow.
this topic is a nice example of sleeping moderators and a number of very frustrated Gringos, who's full 24/ occupancy is whining about everything.
2 pages of things which for most(NOT all) i would even agree with,
but did anybody of the usual whiners realize that this is the Introduction Forum to WELCOME/Introduce New Bordmembers to DR1???
2 pages and nobody dared to type: welcome to the bord???
Tanis,
welcome to DR1.
as others already expressed, you sound extremely naive without any experience about such move/life in a caribbean developing country, so after the warm welcome form the frustrated failed ole Farts here, I would recommend to start your Research about possibilities/requirements/typical mistakes etc etc of a move to this country, on a separate Topic.

reading thru some "welcome postings" assures me, that a good number should just pack the luggage and move back again to the honeyland where they came from, as you guys are clearly Unhappy and do not assist any developoing country in any way.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
wow.
this topic is a nice example of sleeping moderators and a number of very frustrated Gringos, who's full 24/ occupancy is whining about everything.

Mike

Not sleeping, just shaking our heads.

Some days we can't win - you guys complain if we close threads, complain if we delete OT posts, complain if we moderate in general, and complain when we just let some threads go with the flow.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a feeling most of newbie posters who only come in to write how excited they are to move to the dominican and how much they love the culture - are trolls. impossible to assume there are this many halfwits in this world who travel the world tracking the map with their greasy finger, suddenly stop at DR and then immediately share their desire for living in a tropical paradise with an internet board full of complete strangers...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i have a feeling most of newbie posters who only come in to write how excited they are to move to the dominican and how much they love the culture - are trolls. impossible to assume there are this many halfwits in this world who travel the world tracking the map with their greasy finger, suddenly stop at DR and then immediately share their desire for living in a tropical paradise with an internet board full of complete strangers...

lol.
that would also have been my thought,
BUT then i met such folks, during the last 20 years, and their numbers rising horribly the last 3-4 years.
well, you "meet" them, they find "you", i take a minute and half to listen to something, then i know they fit your above given description, shake my head and move to an other place to have a drink in a more intelligent environment, lol.
they exist, DV, they exist and they come from those "developed/educated" countries. unbelievable, but they exist and in large numbers.

Mike

Apr 7, 2014
Depends on where they are coming from and what their life is there. In the early to mid 20th Century California was where everyone wanted to be, so they picked up, packed up and moved there. Talk to people about California now and all they have are complaints. So moving to a tropical place stirs the same passion in people if they are from Maine or other boring places.

The only problem is that many folks arent moving with a real plan. The failures are what make them bitter, negative or recalcitrant. Even considering last century California or Oregon, if you are looking for a job when you get there it wont work, you will starve. If you seek to make yourself a job/career it may work.

In DR his chances of success are high because people are exceptionally lazy, incompetent, headstrong, foolish, inscrutable, and imprecise. All you have to do is cater your business away from that and toward clients who expect none of that.
They will always undercut you on price but never on efficiency, proficiency and service.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
agreed on what you explain with that,
BUT when looking on 'em and the way they "adapt", most who just pack and move and look for doing "some kinda biz"(like a good running beach bar or non existent kinda restaurant etc) or to get a job, most i find around here do fail completely, and part of the problem is that they do NOT provide any more efficiency, proficiency nor service other than what is all around already available on the low level. they come and "adapt" too quick, they "blend in" and fail.
to be born and raised in a first world country does absolutely NOT mean that someone really used the given chances and received a available good education nor that such person from there automatically would be smart enough to make it to something in a foreign country far away from Mom.
the every day observed life facts show that most come not even close to be capable of such.
let's take the keypoints of such moves:
* no prior visits(maybe a dozen AI-hotel visits only)
* not fluent in the native language
* depending on getting a job in the new country right away to fill the fridge at least with the basics to survive for the first 12 months until a job may be found
* no sufficient backup on a bank account back home to purchase a flight back home and rent/purchase a place to live and live back home again til a new job home is find.
* no special experience on anything in specific to preferably qualify for a average(survival mode) Job to be get, paid sufficient to feed a couple and pay rent in a "decent" 1 room appartment and leave enough money to pay for a few hours per week for internet access to chat with friends and family back home.

Mike

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

BINGO, EXACTLY....

I knew you were smarter than the average ...
(and i dont blow smoke up peoples back sides).

Some of these obvious trolls get their jollies watching people falling over each other to help an invisible person they never met, who comes with the most ridiculous scenario of going to seek menial type work in a 3rd world country just so they can have their feet in the sand under a coconut tree..
notice how VAGUE and non specifci the set up was.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
BINGO, EXACTLY....

I knew you were smarter than the average ...
(and i dont blow smoke up peoples back sides).

Some of these obvious trolls get their jollies watching people falling over each other to help an invisible person they never met, who comes with the most ridiculous scenario of going to seek menial type work in a 3rd world country just so they can have their feet in the sand under a coconut tree..
notice how VAGUE and non specifci the set up was.

while a bord like dr1 of course has its share of trolls coming in,
as fact the "halfwitts" of this world are numerous, and they look in numbers on the DR for a move, heck, they even really move over here in numbers.

Mike

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
BUT when looking on 'em and the way they "adapt", most who just pack and move and look for doing "some kinda biz"(like a good running beach bar or non existent kinda restaurant etc) or to get a job, most i find around here do fail completely, and part of the problem is that they do NOT provide any more efficiency, proficiency nor service other than what is all around already available on the low level. they come and "adapt" too quick, they "blend in" and fail.
to be born and raised in a first world country does absolutely NOT mean that someone really used the given chances and received a available good education nor that such person from there automatically would be smart enough to make it to something in a foreign country far away from Mom.
the every day observed life facts show that most come not even close to be capable of such.
* depending on getting a job in the new country right away to fill the fridge at least with the basics to survive for the first 12 months until a job may be found
* no sufficient backup on a bank account back home to purchase a flight back home and rent/purchase a place to live and live back home again til a new job home is find.
* no special experience on anything in specific to preferably qualify for a average(survival mode) Job to be get, paid sufficient to feed a couple and pay rent in a "decent" 1 room appartment and leave enough money to pay for a few hours per week for internet access to chat with friends and family back home.

Mike

very true, Mike. one of the problems of gringos moving here is that they all believe that since they come from a first world country, and the DR is third world, they must know everything better than all Dominicans, and that they will be a success because they succeeded, to some degree, in the USA, or wherever they came from. i will never forget a guy called Barry, who tried to set up a rotisserie chicken business in Long Beach. i tried to tell him all the reasons why it would not work, but he countered by telling me that he used to be a manager of a Kentucky franchise in his home state in New England, and if he could make that a success, then a small outlet in the DR would be a breeze.

i bought his wife?s commercial Kitchen Aid mixer for pennies on the dollar when they were holding a fire sale to raise the funds to buy their plane ticket home.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Dominican and the Dominican Culture

... to write how excited they are to move to the dominican and how much they love the culture...

All those 'the Dominican' nitwits won't get more than 2 lines from me.
And loving the culture after a onetime holiday in Punta Cana... well, that leaves me speechless... :surprised

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
All those 'the Dominican' nitwits won't get more than 2 lines from me.
And loving the culture after a onetime holiday in Punta Cana... well, that leaves me speechless... :surprised

donP

true, donP. they spend a few days in an AI, enjoy the sea breezes and the anarchy, and before the week is over they are in love with THE CULTURE. meanwhile, they can?t ask for directions to the bathroom in spanish.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rosie from Toronto

... they spend a few days in an AI, enjoy the sea breezes and the anarchy, and before the week is over they are in love with THE CULTURE

Well, there is little anarchy in an AI.
So, Miss Rosie Peach from Toronto believes it does not exist in the Dominican.... :tired:

Yes, and one week is enough to fall in love with the culture, whose real name actually is Jos? Fermin, the guy who distributes the sunlounger mattresses in the morning... :laugh:

donP

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sad but true. i could write a thick book about personal experience of a large numebr of foreigners coming with exactly that dealy wrong attitude,
they think to be born and raised in a 1st world country means automatically to be surperior to people born and raised in a 3rd world country. big mistake of mind. as fact people of a underdeveloped country learn from birth on to survive, under any circumstances, good starter package to survive harsh competitors and jealousy winds when running any kind of business. the other fact of course is that a big number of people born and raised in 1st world countries, did never really use their chances to receive 1st quality education, to study anything, to really learn anything, so many born in the golden environments of countless opportunities did not grab any chance and learned nothing, complete failures in 1st world countries, just look on the streets of the big cities of every 1st world country, the vast mayority is not running any kentucky fried chicken place nor has the freedom to live life like they would love to live it, and a good number is down on the bottom of the human food chain, despite all the given opportunities by birth in such country. i respect a 3rd world country Man who never received any significant education/scholarship etc etc but managed to come up in life and worked his way to become steadily employed for example as the porter at a hotel, since eyars, managing to send several children to school, those children always clean and nice dressed, always 3 meals on the table 7 days a week in his small house. by far not every 1st world born and raised Man can tell such success story about himself, by Faaaar not every one. but the failures and the ones who just came by at home, they do usually the big mistake to run into such "underdeveloped" country with a attitude as if they would be some kinda bigshot and the workers over there are just some poor suckers in deer need of his smartness, thinking they can easily show those poor uneducated locals how things work successfully. well, as a matter of fact in most such cases the smartazz hit's Life's Teacher, named Karma, means asks for handout to eat and runs firesales to collect the funds for a ticket back home where lazyness and beeing without real education been easier to manage withot doing much/anything to it.

Mike

Apr 7, 2014
very true, Mike. one of the problems of gringos moving here is that they all believe that since they come from a first world country, and the DR is third world, they must know everything better than all Dominicans, and that they will be a success because they succeeded, to some degree, in the USA, or wherever they came from. i will never forget a guy called Barry, who tried to set up a rotisserie chicken business in Long Beach. i tried to tell him all the reasons why it would not work, but he countered by telling me that he used to be a manager of a Kentucky franchise in his home state in New England, and if he could make that a success, then a small outlet in the DR would be a breeze.

i bought his wife?s commercial Kitchen Aid mixer for pennies on the dollar when they were holding a fire sale to raise the funds to buy their plane ticket home.
Y did it fail?

Apr 7, 2014

Mike
A. The problem is generally speaking those people ddnt have those skills where they came from.
B. They read Kerouac, Che, Hemingway and want the same life.
C. There is nothing charming about living to solely work in Berlin, Cheshire, Denver, Eastport or Frankfurt fo 30-40 years at the Coca Cola bottling plant.
D. Much of what you say is true, now explain the Chinese? They come with the same limitations but are quite successful
-My reason why? They dont anyone outside of themselves as real people but a market to be sold to. You are only as good as "you buy now, you leave." Because if you want me to believe Chinese people know more about business than Americans then I m on the wrong page.

The meatheads you speak of fail because they trust too many who are dumber than they are(3rd Worldians). The 1st World got that way from an obsession with organization. The 3rd World stays that way because of an aversion to organization. The meatheads trust the people too easily.

E. All of your points are also what Dominicans expect for themselves as soon as they set foot in New York or Madrid.
When they arrive they have nothing but handicaps and most all of them would fail if not for the adequate social service networks that exist.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Well, there is little anarchy in an AI.
So, Miss Rosie Peach from Toronto believes it does not exist in the Dominican.... :tired:

Yes, and one week is enough to fall in love with the culture, whose real name actually is Jos? Fermin, the guy who distributes the sunlounger mattresses in the morning... :laugh:

donP

haha,
and he already has a Western Union Card, as he is a weekly customer there, receiving the "help for sick Granny" form the 6-12 future ex-spouses abroad, lol.
but hey, that really is part of this country's culture, at least when you observe that culture in an area like Punta Cana, haha

Mike

Mike

Apr 7, 2014
sad but true. i could write a thick book about personal experience of a large numebr of foreigners coming with exactly that dealy wrong attitude,
they think to be born and raised in a 1st world country means automatically to be surperior to people born and raised in a 3rd world country. big mistake of mind. as fact people of a underdeveloped country learn from birth on to survive, under any circumstances, good starter package to survive harsh competitors and jealousy winds when running any kind of business. the other fact of course is that a big number of people born and raised in 1st world countries, did never really use their chances to receive 1st quality education, to study anything, to really learn anything, so many born in the golden environments of countless opportunities did not grab any chance and learned nothing, complete failures in 1st world countries, just look on the streets of the big cities of every 1st world country, the vast mayority is not running any kentucky fried chicken place nor has the freedom to live life like they would love to live it, and a good number is down on the bottom of the human food chain, despite all the given opportunities by birth in such country. i respect a 3rd world country Man who never received any significant education/scholarship etc etc but managed to come up in life and worked his way to become steadily employed for example as the porter at a hotel, since eyars, managing to send several children to school, those children always clean and nice dressed, always 3 meals on the table 7 days a week in his small house. by far not every 1st world born and raised Man can tell such success story about himself, by Faaaar not every one. but the failures and the ones who just came by at home, they do usually the big mistake to run into such "underdeveloped" country with a attitude as if they would be some kinda bigshot and the workers over there are just some poor suckers in deer need of his smartness, thinking they can easily show those poor uneducated locals how things work successfully. well, as a matter of fact in most such cases the smartazz hit's Life's Teacher, named Karma, means asks for handout to eat and runs firesales to collect the funds for a ticket back home where lazyness and beeing without real education been easier to manage withot doing much/anything to it.

Mike
I think is woefully inaccurate. There is guy in Guatemala called Johnny Mueller who has a podcast called "The Expat Files" where he advices people on moving to Latinamerica. He mentions a term caled "The Gringo Advantage" which is ubiquitous with 1st World supremacy and efficiency. All things 1W being better than anything 3W.
As a German you know this true. Given the opportunity to buy a new guagua you would instinctively prefer a VW over a JinBei. If you needed a weapon you would buy a H&K or Glock or Beretta over anything made in China. Why? Because you know workmanship and quality and reliability will be higher in the 1W product because the people take pride in their competence, "The Gringo Advantage".

The problem with the expats who fail is the same as guys who eat meat but wouldnt hunt. They lost their eagle eye/hawk eye/ falcon's edge because the world around them was intentionally made soft and convenient. They think meat is found in the market, not tracked and killed. But that is a skill that could be honed.

Last edited:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I don't have the accent set up on my PC, and if you "really" spoke Dominican Spanish, you wouldn't have an S on the end of entonces....

I could write a book on Dominican Spanish. However, I couldn't publish it: me estoy tragando un cable.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Y did it fail?

every second guy in POP is making rotisserie chicken. the fact that you have a nice shiny building, and a nicely made machine, means you are going to compete with all the guys on the road with the 50 gallon drum roasters. besides, these guys are not going to let a gringo come in and take away business from the guy who lives 5 doors down in their barrio.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
haha,
and he already has a Western Union Card, as he is a weekly customer there, receiving the "help for sick Granny" form the 6-12 future ex-spouses abroad, lol.
but hey, that really is part of this country's culture, at least when you observe that culture in an area like Punta Cana, haha

Mike

Mike

Oh snap
So wait, this is a Sanky story, I did not even catch that part..
I thought she meant her & her BF from up there are moving down, thats how I read it..
oh this is even more stereotypical than we thought, and may not be a troll at all.
how sad is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.