Heading your way next year to stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you for actually giving sound advice, it's all that I was looking for. I understand there is a lot of work to do and I was hoping I could find others that had gone before us but it appears I've already been "pegged" as something Im not. Thank you for thaking the time to respond. All my best.

Still planing on coming to the DR to work?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I actually have a job that requires me to not sit at a computer all day. I never realized to post a few questions required me to be sitting here babysitting my computer 24/7.

i think this is exactly the type of the answer we've got from the last few newbies: extremely defensive, i-know-better approach. which leads me to believe they were all sock puppets. luckily there is always good fun in bashing so no harm done.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I think bringing people to reality of their dream to move to paradise is one of the best services this site offers. I am sure the veterans here have saved many people a lot of money and tears.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i think this is exactly the type of the answer we've got from the last few newbies: extremely defensive, i-know-better approach. which leads me to believe they were all sock puppets. luckily there is always good fun in bashing so no harm done.

I disagree. The board has been less than kind to the newcomers, in general. If I had been greeted the same way when I first found DR1, I'd have been out the door and never looked back again. Save the snarky answers for the people who've been here awhile and understand our personalities.

I think bringing people to reality of their dream to move to paradise is one of the best services this site offers. I am sure the veterans here have saved many people a lot of money and tears.

I agree. A lot of the answers here in this thread are right on the money, it's how they are delivered that is inappropriate for an Introduction thread.

Tanis, gringoinparadise has a point about direct, specific questions. If you don't do that, the answers and advice will be all over the place. Also try to use the search function, everything you want to know has probably already been asked and answered.

Our members range from people surviving on small Social Security checks to people living in multi-million-dollar homes. Their appraisal of life and budgets in DR will vary drastically.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Tanis, Our resident dead beat 2nd hand car salesman kinda makes the case I was making. Ignore a lot of the waffle on this site and stick to the intelligent answers to very specific questions.

What I said was, "Is Punta Cana a nice place for me to move to" will be one thing if you say you will be arriving with 1/2 million $ in your bank account and a monthly draw from a trust fund of $10,000.

Gorgyboy's interpretation of that was,

I rest my case. Intelligence is somewhere around this site, but it doesn't always manifest itself.

since this is not the off topic forum, and the moderators frown on any personal attaciks in these threads, i will wait until there is an appropriate opportunity to tell you what i think of you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I disagree. The board has been less than kind to the newcomers, in general. If I had been greeted the same way when I first found DR1, I'd have been out the door and never looked back again. Save the snarky answers for the people who've been here awhile and understand our personalities.

how do you explain then that the "newbies" all seem to have good enough grasp of the forum to start multiple threads in corresponding sub-sections yet none of them knows how to use search function?
how do you explain that each and every one of them manages to butcher the name of the country they are allegedly interested in as "the dominican", a personal pet peeve of many posters?
how do you explain that this particular OP asked about the residency process but now claims they started it "long time ago"?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
how do you explain then that the "newbies" all seem to have good enough grasp of the forum to start multiple threads in corresponding sub-sections yet none of them knows how to use search function?
how do you explain that each and every one of them manages to butcher the name of the country they are allegedly interested in as "the dominican", a personal pet peeve of many posters?
how do you explain that this particular OP asked about the residency process but now claims they started it "long time ago"?

Just commenting on the misspelling of the name of the country: Other than in English, I?m familiar with a number of "pet names" for various countries, which are usually born when a country becomes somewhat famous. I know personally a few very nice Canadian people, who frequent in POP, and when in conversation they use the country?s name frequently, they turn to "the Dominican", which I consider in this sense just a pet name or abbreviation (yes, I know what is an abbreviation, and that?s officially not it), or is simply used because saying "The Dominican Republic" frequently would sound a bit odd to my ear, it?s better to use different terms that could be understood the same way (not necessarily official synonyms). My wife is very strict about grammar, but when joking about the country she refers to it as "errede". Just like for example Thailand has become a popular travel destination, also it has received a multitude of nicknames. I would consider it more serious to call the country "The Dominica", since then we have indeed mistaken of the country :)

EDIT: I seem to have lost word wrapping in the editor since the latest FF update, and only in this forum. IE and others work fine, no idea why...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Didnt she say she was going to "work" as a Nanny or some baby sitting job ?
Must be that shortage of Dominican women who can be hired as babysitters we keep hearing about. cuz they have so little experience taking care of babies and all.
lmao

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Domincan (Sankie)

Just commenting on the misspelling of the name of the country....

However you spin it, using "the Dominican" as the country's name is false and sounds stupid.

Also, we need to use the proper name on this forum, because with all those (Canadian ?) women saying:
"I love the Dominican..." leave us guessing... country or sankie???

:laugh:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm not bothered with "the dominican", personally. in polish we shorten the name of this land to "dominikana".

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Maybe the deliveries are a bit "rough around the edges" but they do have truth to them. So many just want to pack up and move to the unknown that many who have lived here in "paradise" for awhile just do not sugarcoat some of the obvious truths/myths about life here. Then when a poster mentions "getting employment" that sends off huge warning bells for some. Hence the sometimes "rough answers, though coming from a good place". We have friends that always talk of moving to "paradise". That's when I invite them down to stay for awhile, let them see what life can really be like. Now I do not live in Punta Cana so maybe it is a bit different. But before you pack up make sure you have done your homework. Over the years there has been some really good sound advice given on DR1 on the do's and don'ts of moving here. Study them. And above all the most important thing, make sure you have a "financial safety net" to get out if needed. Some more quickly than others.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As always, those DR1ers who have very little income, post about how little money one needs to live here.
Those who have much more post about how much it costs to live here.
Someone once said,..."I been rich, and I been poor, AND,"RICH" is better"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
As always, those DR1ers who have very little income, post about how little money one needs to live here.
Someone once said,..."I been rich, and I been poor, AND,"RICH" is better"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes and those are the posts that can be very deceiving to those looking to move here. Living on a low fixed income is not a way to live here. Yes I know people do but I have to question what kind of life they really have. Just because you post that your living on a "dollar day" does not mean you are.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that many posters live on low income but this is not easily done and it's completely unrealistic for the newbies who speak zero spanish and know nothing about the country they just moved into.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Tanis, Our resident dead beat 2nd hand car salesman kinda makes the case I was making. Ignore a lot of the waffle on this site and stick to the intelligent answers to very specific questions.

What I said was, "Is Punta Cana a nice place for me to move to" will be one thing if you say you will be arriving with 1/2 million $ in your bank account and a monthly draw from a trust fund of $10,000.

Gorgyboy's interpretation of that was,

I rest my case. Intelligence is somewhere around this site, but it doesn't always manifest itself.

no case to rest, you simply just stated shyt, nothing more and notyhing less.
a person with 500K on a bank account and every month 10K to spend for life, such person can settle down everywhere, not just in sankie/yourist/expat city Punta Cana.
so where is any point on such statements of yours??

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

if they just would share what they saved, we could run a ole farts DR1 party with the chics included every month for that, hehe

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
since this is not the off topic forum, and the moderators frown on any personal attaciks in these threads, i will wait until there is an appropriate opportunity to tell you what i think of you.

that's what i name a gentleman who knows when and where and how.
thumbs up buddy.
i could not behave enough to wait for the next off topic chatter, but will of course happily chime in there, too.
well, a few punishment points here and there on the bord, they are part of typing-life when typing as the mouth wants to tell it, haha.
btw,
a bordname like "gringo in paradise" tells a lot(for the off topic section of course)

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

cat-fights, specially between Moderators who should calm down Us "normal typing maniacs",
should be taken to the section "Mods off-topic chatter and Catfights".
you gals are way off topic, doesn't Robert give punishment points for your bad behaviors, too?? i know I receive such points every once in a whil?e, but hey, i am not a Mod, i can have fun as long as not overdone on the scale.

Mike

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

even if you had a billion dollars, you would never be happy. you are just one of those angry guys who never learned how. happy people do not spend their lives insulting people and looking for fights. they have better things to do.

you don?t.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes and those are the posts that can be very deceiving to those looking to move here. Living on a low fixed income is not a way to live here. Yes I know people do but I have to question what kind of life they really have. Just because you post that your living on a "dollar day" does not mean you are.

i address my comments to regular people. if you are independently wealthy, then ignore me. when i hear people telling guys who want to move here that 1000 dollars will get them an apartment in a ghetto, i just have to laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.