Heading your way next year to stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Future in Paradise

I thought she meant her & her BF from up there are moving down, thats how I read it..

Read correctly.
But it often turns out, that in paradise the relationship falters.
The girl falls for a sankie, the white novio is drawn away by a sankiette.... :paranoid:

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Off topic BS has been deleted.

If you're not answering the OP or posting about the DR it will be deleted and you will receive infraction points.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
A. The problem is generally speaking those people ddnt have those skills where they came from.
B. They read Kerouac, Che, Hemingway and want the same life.
C. There is nothing charming about living to solely work in Berlin, Cheshire, Denver, Eastport or Frankfurt fo 30-40 years at the Coca Cola bottling plant.
D. Much of what you say is true, now explain the Chinese? They come with the same limitations but are quite successful
-My reason why? They dont anyone outside of themselves as real people but a market to be sold to. You are only as good as "you buy now, you leave." Because if you want me to believe Chinese people know more about business than Americans then I m on the wrong page.

The meatheads you speak of fail because they trust too many who are dumber than they are(3rd Worldians). The 1st World got that way from an obsession with organization. The 3rd World stays that way because of an aversion to organization. The meatheads trust the people too easily.

E. All of your points are also what Dominicans expect for themselves as soon as they set foot in New York or Madrid.
When they arrive they have nothing but handicaps and most all of them would fail if not for the adequate social service networks that exist.

i keep it on the topic related theme to "moving with nothing to the DR, look for a job and enjoy Paradise", our Mod is watching rightfully over the themes to stay related.
A) yes, thats my point, they "think" they are something because born in a 1st world country, but they miss the point that they are nothing more than any other nationalities uneducated/unexperienced(on specific skills or such) citizens
B) agreed again, they read and think "romantic", but none could stand the romantic whiskey meetings 24/7, hence there will never be a real 2nd Ernest H.
C) there would never be any charm to me about working just to Live, anywhere
D) they have a completely different background, they have a very old history of beeing citizens in a style of Slaves, while in comparison a american coming over the same way has compared to chinese no such history, too young of a new country. those chinese learned from birth what it means to be hungry, they learned that success on what they do is the only way to survive, the alternative would be to starve to dead. and american or european Mover would not know what the heck we are talking about on such theme. even on the lowest levels of society they come from a spoiled background compared to a Chinese immigrant to the DR.
-- no, the "meatheads", as you name them, do for most part NOT fail due trust into 3rd Worldians, my own observing 20+ years of experience tell exactly the opposite as the more common truth, that they fail due trust into their own Motherland Compatriates who rip them off once arrived in the new Land, as they first trust most the ones from their same country(at least the ones who speak their same language).
E) right

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think is woefully inaccurate. There is guy in Guatemala called Johnny Mueller who has a podcast called "The Expat Files" where he advices people on moving to Latinamerica. He mentions a term caled "The Gringo Advantage" which is ubiquitous with 1st World supremacy and efficiency. All things 1W being better than anything 3W.
As a German you know this true. Given the opportunity to buy a new guagua you would instinctively prefer a VW over a JinBei. If you needed a weapon you would buy a H&K or Glock or Beretta over anything made in China. Why? Because you know workmanship and quality and reliability will be higher in the 1W product because the people take pride in their competence, "The Gringo Advantage".

The problem with the expats who fail is the same as guys who eat meat but wouldnt hunt. They lost their eagle eye/hawk eye/ falcon's edge because the world around them was intentionally made soft and convenient. They think meat is found in the market, not tracked and killed. But that is a skill that could be honed.

i understand your point and you are right on that.
but to put it for the newbies of explorer life, to maybe be understood, i would frase it this way:
* who with a sane mind, would move to a country full of japanese vehicles(which are behind the german vehicles anyways the 2nd best available for the average public on the globe) and purchase there a German(VW/BMW/Mercedes etc)?? which has in the particular country no infrastructure for any speareparts or mechanics fixing any troubles for a price within the given budget?? you have to check for each country you move to, what is readily and for your budget already available, spareparts all around, mjechanics at every corner know the model and can keep it running, that's the brand you have to purchase in a new country when on a budget.
sure, if you have unlimited funds, then the Maserati will be brought in, and once it needs a oil change the Italian Mechanic will be flown in for a long weekend to get that done, but i guess such is not the average Mover scenario in case of a car.
if you move to China and want a average car to move around with all necessary maintenance for that car readily available at the corner of your Barrio, then you have to buy a popular/every where there used chinese brand, a Volkswagen or Chevy would be useless and come out just as a expensive cemetary on wheels, while you move around by public bus.
again, completely agreement to your point, grown up in a "softened" environment even on low levels, makes for "Softies", and they could never stand the heat of the daily fight with the market experienced much smarter locals, for biz or a job etc etc etc.

Mike

Apr 7, 2014
every second guy in POP is making rotisserie chicken. the fact that you have a nice shiny building, and a nicely made machine, means you are going to compete with all the guys on the road with the 50 gallon drum roasters. besides, these guys are not going to let a gringo come in and take away business from the guy who lives 5 doors down in their barrio.
Thought so, his overheard was too high and too grand. His approach was too large(and shiny).

When I was in Taxco, Mexico they made roast chicken and thn when you bought it they put in a plastic bag with chives, onions and garlic. It was great.

He was supposed to build a better mousetrap not a shinier one. But he isnt alone. McDonalds pulled out of Bolivia because they couldnt sell the idea of "fast" food.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Thought so, his overheard was too high and too grand. His approach was too large(and shiny).

When I was in Taxco, Mexico they made roast chicken and thn when you bought it they put in a plastic bag with chives, onions and garlic. It was great.

He was supposed to build a better mousetrap not a shinier one. But he isnt alone. McDonalds pulled out of Bolivia because they couldnt sell the idea of "fast" food.

haha
to get McDonalds would be for every country of the globe a far step back in food quality history, lol.
do not come to the DR to open an otehr McD, they are already here, many of 'em, and they are the same as in their original country of origen, awful, lowest quality, no taste, but hey, it makes Fat quickly.

Mike

Mike

Tanis

Jun 4, 2015
We are currently living in Canada, we have been on the Dominican Republic website and have started the residency process quite awhile ago. My main goal here was to simply ask a few questions that I was having difficulty finding on my own and was hopeful to get some advice from people that have "gone before" us. I was directed to this site from a former resident of the Dominican Republic that I had met in passing and was told it was a useful tool for navigating. Based on reading other threads from my other posts, I sadly realize I was given the wrong advice. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions, I wont waste any more of anyones time.

Tanis

Jun 4, 2015
Thank you for actually giving sound advice, it's all that I was looking for. I understand there is a lot of work to do and I was hoping I could find others that had gone before us but it appears I've already been "pegged" as something Im not. Thank you for thaking the time to respond. All my best.

Tanis

Jun 4, 2015
I actually have a job that requires me to not sit at a computer all day. I never realized to post a few questions required me to be sitting here babysitting my computer 24/7.

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015
haha
to get McDonalds would be for every country of the globe a far step back in food quality history, lol.
do not come to the DR to open an otehr McD, they are already here, many of 'em, and they are the same as in their original country of origen, awful, lowest quality, no taste, but hey, it makes Fat quickly.

Mike

Mike

Mike. You are obviously a very astute businessman. I totally agree with you. This "McDonald's" outfit will never take off. Bad concept.

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015
We are currently living in Canada, we have been on the Dominican Republic website and have started the residency process quite awhile ago. My main goal here was to simply ask a few questions that I was having difficulty finding on my own and was hopeful to get some advice from people that have "gone before" us. I was directed to this site from a former resident of the Dominican Republic that I had met in passing and was told it was a useful tool for navigating. Based on reading other threads from my other posts, I sadly realize I was given the wrong advice. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions, I wont waste any more of anyones time.

Tanis. You are always going to get nonsense responses on sites like this, no matter which country the site is geared to. Most folks, not all, only want to show how smart they are. You have come into their sandbox uninvited, so they are going to throw sand into your eyes until you throw it back at them. The psychology of these is always the same. But, through all the noise and clutter, you will always also get some good pointers. You just have to approach it a little differently. Remember, the mere fact a lot of these nice folks are living in this country is because they weren't smart enough to prosper in their home country. (Again, not all, obviously). And their IQ didn't rise after spending time on this island.

You will get good advise here if you are extremely specific with the question. For example, ask where is the nearest gas station on 27th and Churchill. You will be informed there is an ISLA station a little further west of Churchill on 27th. Great info. Exactly what you wanted. Move on.

So. For someone like yourself who is not 100% sure of some things about living full time the DR, the answers to your questions are ALL going to be determined by your own financial situation. You really need to give some detail on your finances to get a proper answer to any question to do with moving here. The answer to the question, "Is Punta Cana a nice place for me to move to" will be one thing if you say you will be arriving with 1/2 million $ in your bank account and a monthly draw from a trust fund of $10,000.

If you say you will be arriving here with $2000, but you just want to live here, get a job and experience the lovely island life as you have seen it on postcards, the answer will be unwelcome but real. The DR is a kip. An absolute unholy dump of a place, if you are not very, very, very well sorted financially. To come with boatloads of money, it's great. To come for a couple of weeks vacation, it's great also.

Nobody knows you on this site. It totally anonymous. Speak about your financial situation and whether your boyfriend is Dominican r not and you will get good answers to very specific questions. Don't pose a question here that calls for an "opinion". Opinions require intelligence. From my short time on this board it's apparent there is plenty of it here, it just needs a little helping hand before it appears.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Seriously, i question these rules! Why, instead of encouraging foreigners, for the most part, are people who are coming to spend money, Dr is discouraging them? Do they think without TOURISM and foreigners coming to live, that DOMINICANS can keep the country afloat?
I just laugh at the notion that a third world country is simply discouraging foreigners insead of enticing them.
First of all, who would want to come to Dr, besides 60,70 years old, who do not have anything else serious to do, thinking DR, is the ULTIMATE PARADISE where women are for FREE?
Who are thinking for this country? lol

The fact that a moto concho driver can run right in that back of you, hire a lawyer, get sued, go to court and be extorted out of 1000s for something that was not your fault. Now ask yourself again, are they really encouraging foreigners to come here?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Tanis. You are always going to get nonsense responses on sites like this, no matter which country the site is geared to. Most folks, not all, only want to show how smart they are. You have come into their sandbox uninvited, so they are going to throw sand into your eyes until you throw it back at them. The psychology of these is always the same. But, through all the noise and clutter, you will always also get some good pointers. You just have to approach it a little differently. Remember, the mere fact a lot of these nice folks are living in this country is because they weren't smart enough to prosper in their home country. (Again, not all, obviously). And their IQ didn't rise after spending time on this island.

You will get good advise here if you are extremely specific with the question. For example, ask where is the nearest gas station on 27th and Churchill. You will be informed there is an ISLA station a little further west of Churchill on 27th. Great info. Exactly what you wanted. Move on.

So. For someone like yourself who is not 100% sure of some things about living full time the DR, the answers to your questions are ALL going to be determined by your own financial situation. You really need to give some detail on your finances to get a proper answer to any question to do with moving here. The answer to the question, "Is Punta Cana a nice place for me to move to" will be one thing if you say you will be arriving with 1/2 million $ in your bank account and a monthly draw from a trust fund of $10,000.

If you say you will be arriving here with $2000, but you just want to live here, get a job and experience the lovely island life as you have seen it on postcards, the answer will be unwelcome but real. The DR is a kip. An absolute unholy dump of a place, if you are not very, very, very well sorted financially. To come with boatloads of money, it's great. To come for a couple of weeks vacation, it's great also.

Nobody knows you on this site. It totally anonymous. Speak about your financial situation and whether your boyfriend is Dominican r not and you will get good answers to very specific questions. Don't pose a question here that calls for an "opinion". Opinions require intelligence. From my short time on this board it's apparent there is plenty of it here, it just needs a little helping hand before it appears.

you keep repeating the mantra that if people moving to the DR want to be really happy, then they need boatloads of money to accomplish that end. if your happiness depends entirely upon what you can buy, then you will never be happy, because there will always be something else you want, then when you get it there will be the next thing. if the place is a hellhole because you don?t spend 10,000 dollars per month, then the hellhole is in your soul.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wise words, Gorgon.
and he seems not to know a thing about Punta Cana or to compare about other places neither.
PC is full of Gringos, foreigners from around the Globe(yeah, one of the things I dislike todays about PC, it was much nicer a few decades back on that point, lol), aside of a handful of exceptions they do not make anything close to 10K$ per family, they could not tell what a half million $ looks like.
Paradise G. needs to sample some Island Experience first, then the fabulous numbers can be thrown out there.
very most Gringos working here in PC at Diving Centers, as Tourguides, at the Hotels or with the Touroperators, would dream about earning 2K or even more every month. but they all live in Punta Cana, even that they do not make that much. and many of them are happy, because they live the way they wanted to. they did not have more back in the homecountry, so they are happy with it in PC.

Tanis,
don't let the unwelcome reaction of the bord dicourage you from asking questions and searching for the answers here on DR1.
if a few ole farts and some broken youngsters on a anonym bord discourage you, well, then how would you manage the discouraging counterwinds in life then?, once in a foreign country, as everywhere in life, will not always run perfectly smooth and well, there are always step backs etc. take the grumpy lonesome DR1'ers as your first hurdle, you survive them, then you are almost prepared for the face-off with real caribbean island life.

Mike

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015
?

Tanis, Our resident dead beat 2nd hand car salesman kinda makes the case I was making. Ignore a lot of the waffle on this site and stick to the intelligent answers to very specific questions.

What I said was, "Is Punta Cana a nice place for me to move to" will be one thing if you say you will be arriving with 1/2 million $ in your bank account and a monthly draw from a trust fund of $10,000.

Gorgyboy's interpretation of that was,

if the place is a hellhole because you don?t spend 10,000 dollars per month, then the hellhole is in your soul.

I rest my case. Intelligence is somewhere around this site, but it doesn't always manifest itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.