healthful hint for the poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Is there any government sponsored reforestation projects in the DR? or is just a chop em down and who gives a **** after routine?

Good question, maybe someone with knowledge on forestation can chime in.(would like to know myself) But I wonder, if there is reforestation projects, will it help? or will the problem continue.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's in the genes and if you didn't win the gene lottery then all you can do is try to enjoy your "short" life to the fullest.

Dr Bruce Lipton walked away from a teaching job at a university after many years where he taught all about genes when he found out it was a bunch of lies. His experiments proved that the environment has more to do with who you are than genes. For example one experiment they took culture of stem cells split them into three groups and exposed to different environment and some became skin cells some became bone cell and some became mussel cells. His work will probably be the new teaching in about ten years

While I believe that the environment obviously plays a part, genes play the larger role. Otherwise how can you explain an example like the one I gave you above. Two families living side by side, in the same environment, eating the same things, same access to health care, etc...one lives well in the 90's the other dies in their 60's. When this Dr. Lipton can explain that then he has my attention.

Besides like Dv8 said it's a bit futile to worry too much about this when you can only control a small percentage (if any) of when you'll die. I exercise because I like to feel and look good, but honestly I don't necessarily think I'll live that much longer because of it. I think a happy, fulfilled life are way more important than how long you live. I wouldn't want to live to 100 if 20 or 30 of those years are not enjoyable.

In terms of reforestation there are many efforts being carried out in The DR (Plan Sierra, Quisqueya Verde, etc.).

http://quisqueyaverde.org/Home_Page.php
http://ecoportaldominicano.com/inde...suelo&catid=78:proyectos-ecologicos&Itemid=99

The biggest thing however was the subsidy provided by the government for cooking gas so people don't have to fell trees for charcoal. One of the few good things that Balaguer did during his murderous 12 years.

Last edited:

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
It is easy to explain because your beliefs about the environment is the environment two people living side by side do not think the same

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
i think that people who live the longest are those who do not die early, no? there is nothing one can do about time of death: one can eat healthily, exercise and still get run over by a truck delivering cabbage to a local supermarket. our choices regarding diet and living regime bear little significance on the length of life.

well actually our choices do in fact have great significance on length of life , and heart disease would be top of the list here. There is a mountain of evidence out there to help you live longer and healthier, people running marathons in their 70's, living a happy healthy life.

It is a choice, albeit an informed choice. Most people just dont have the right information.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and for everyone who eats well and runs god dam marathon there is someone like my alcoholic aunt (aged 75 or so) who lives on a diet of liquid potatoes, grains and sugar, aka vodka. and has no health problems whatsoever, apart from continuous hangover. granted, she won't run a marathon just for a sake of it but just strap two bottles of vodka to the back on ussain bolt and she'll get him before he takes three steps, tramples him over and liberates the water of life from his clutches...

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I now have lived in the countryside for over ten years and watched the people collecting wood for their cooking and most if not all are dead trees a lot from the river bank which after the next rain would probably be in the ocean. The have government people who watch for people cutting wood and there is a very stiff prenatally

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I now have lived in the countryside for over ten years and watched the people collecting wood for their cooking and most if not all are dead trees a lot from the river bank which after the next rain would probably be in the ocean. The have government people who watch for people cutting wood and there is a very stiff prenatally

Where are the "government people" high up in the mountains or in the boonies watching people cut down trees for firewood?:tired: There aren't any forest rangers, like in the states, that I know of. What stiff fine are they going to impose, if there's no one watching?

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Mart1n, Does Your "BUTT" Hurt?????????????????????

Because you are sure pulling a lot of undocumented "$HIT", "OutCho A$$"!
The "Dominican Diet" consists of, Fat, Salt, Sugar, and VERY refined carbohydrates.
An overly large number of the population have Diabities , and/or High Blood Pressure.
This is IN PART due to their "African Roots", made worse by poor diet.
One's genetic heritage is the most important factor in longevity.
Diet and exercise are a close second.
One CAN defeat "Good Genes" with poor lifestyle choices.
Poor diet, smoking, alcohol, and/or drug abuse,pollution,sedentary lifestyles can cause death before your "Time".
It appears that where many people live well into their 80's, 90's, and beyond,that those societies honor "Age", and that the "Old Folks" remain physically active, usually in agricultural activities, and are looked upon as valued assets to the family, and society.
Having engaged in all the "Poor Lifestyle Choices" listed above, I only have my inherited "Good Genes" to give me any hope!
I see Catchup as a "Veggie", Mayonaise as "Dairy", Wine as "Fruit", Tobacco, as an "Antioxidant",and BACON, as a good source of "Lean Protein"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Where are there "government people" high up in the mountains or in the boonies watching people cut down trees for firewood?:tired: There aren't any forest rangers, like in the states, that I know of. What stiff fine are they going to impose?
I live in the boonies the road I live on is not on the maps mostly motorcycles, donkeys and horses. yes there are people here that check on people cutting trees. If there is any amount of tress being cut you will know the government is getting their cut.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I say when it's your time to die, you're gonna die no matter how physically fit you may be. Look at George Burns, he smoked cigars until the day he died at the ripe old age of 100 years old.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I live in the boonies the road I live on is not on the maps mostly motorcycles, donkeys and horses. yes there are people here that check on people cutting trees. If there is any amount of tress being cut you will know the government is getting their cut.

They must not be doing a good job, have you seen aerial maps of the DR forests? Have you seen how barren they are and continue to be?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is there any government sponsored reforestation projects in the DR? or is just a chop em down and who gives a **** after routine?

i read dominican newspapers daily, there are plenty of reforestation projects. both government and private. large companies like banco popular organize tree planting events on regular basis. this is diariol libre from just last month:
Medio Ambiente informa siembra de 500,000 ?rboles - DiarioLibre.com
M. Ambiente reforesta zona de Presa de Tavera - DiarioLibre.com
Banco Popular realiza jornada reforestaci?n - DiarioLibre.com

and of course, there is an all important deal with haiti about reforestation. danilo will soon travel to port-au-prince to present a project reuniting haiti and DR in environment saving efforts:
Danilo Medina y Martelly inaugurar?n plan de reforestaci?n - DiarioLibre.com

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
well actually our choices do in fact have great significance on length of life , and heart disease would be top of the list here. There is a mountain of evidence out there to help you live longer and healthier, people running marathons in their 70's, living a happy healthy life.

It is a choice, albeit an informed choice. Most people just dont have the right information.

In some cases, poverty prevents people from making healthy choices. (And with poverty usually comes poor education, especially here.)

A good point about the lack of education that you imply: anyone here could grow lettuce and tomatoes year round, even using grey water if they have no other option. The government was pushing that idea, but then mysteriously stopped. Small home gardens are great ideas.

and for everyone who eats well and runs god dam marathon there is someone like my alcoholic aunt (aged 75 or so) who lives on a diet of liquid potatoes, grains and sugar, aka vodka. and has no health problems whatsoever, apart from continuous hangover. granted, she won't run a marathon just for a sake of it but just strap two bottles of vodka to the back on ussain bolt and she'll get him before he takes three steps, tramples him over and liberates the water of life from his clutches...

Is your aunt planning a visit any time soon, because she sounds like fun.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your hypothesis lackes validity.
If you jump off a bridge, and it's not, "Your Turn To Die" what happens?
Except for "chip" that is, god will spare him!
I will probably "Die Young" because of "Poor Choices" I have made, Longevity wise, "FUN" wise I made the right choices.
I "OWN THAT"!
You should too, instead of your cavalier "Your Turn To Die" excuse.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Because you are sure pulling a lot of undocumented "$HIT", "OutCho A$$"!
The "Dominican Diet" consists of, Fat, Salt, Sugar, and VERY refined carbohydrates.
An overly large number of the population have Diabities , and/or High Blood Pressure.
This is IN PART due to their "African Roots", made worse by poor diet.
One's genetic heritage is the most important factor in longevity.
Diet and exercise are a close second.
One CAN defeat "Good Genes" with poor lifestyle choices.
Poor diet, smoking, alcohol, and/or drug abuse,pollution,sedentary lifestyles can cause death before your "Time".
It appears that where many people live well into their 80's, 90's, and beyond,that those societies honor "Age", and that the "Old Folks" remain physically active, usually in agricultural activities, and are looked upon as valued assets to the family, and society.
Having engaged in all the "Poor Lifestyle Choices" listed above, I only have my inherited "Good Genes" to give me any hope!
I see Catchup as a "Veggie", Mayonaise as "Dairy", Wine as "Fruit", Tobacco, as an "Antioxidant",and BACON, as a good source of "Lean Protein"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

How much documents will you believe. First I did not say anything about the diet of Dominicans I only referred to people Like the Hunzas and others who live longer and what they do different than us.
You can poison yourself by eating the wrong things. You also can eliminate problems by eating the write things.
I know you would love to go out of your way to prove me wrong. Hopefully you will do your homework and after, we can have a civilized discussion.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Pur: When I was a kid I remember you could go to the agricultural office and get free packets of planting seeds (Lettuce, Tomatoes, etc...) Not sure if that's still the case or whether that program has been cut, but I thought it was a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.