healthful hint for the poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Your hypothesis lackes validity.
If you jump off a bridge, and it's not, "Your Turn To Die" what happens?
Except for "chip" that is, god will spare him!
I will probably "Die Young" because of "Poor Choices" I have made, Longevity wise, "FUN" wise I made the right choices.
I "OWN THAT"!
You should too, instead of your cavalier "Your Turn To Die" excuse.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Have you read how some people have been struck by lightening and lived, gunshot wounds that doctors have stated that person shouldn't be alive? etc. Yet some have died from merely a slip, fall, that have left doctors baffled.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is your aunt planning a visit any time soon, because she sounds like fun.

last time she visited us on christmas eve when she spectacularly passed out mid-sentence, falling face forward into the plate full of herring and potato salad. she regained consciousness minutes later, hearing clanking of glasses. talk about light sleeper!

i'm afraid my family is an example of wft-happened-there longevity. never did any exercise apart from series of bonks that resulted in producing offspring, never on a diet, not visiting doctors much, not taking meds. and probably more alcohol per head than all dr1ers combined.... even my uncle who had both of his legs chopped off is in a fairly good heath. from the waits up, that is, ha ha ha.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I've never been a huge believer in destiny and pre-determined life, etc...but the last time I was in The DR I had an experience that made me re-think all of that.

I was driving along a street in Cotui and this guy passed me on a big motorcycle with a girl in the back. Instead of going straight he turned and went around the main "park". I kept driving along and on the way out of town on a curve the guy passed me again. About two minutes later I got to the bridge over Yuna River separating Cotui from La Mata, where the guy, the girl and another guy on a smaller motorcycle whom he hit head on were all dead.

Warning: Pictures are not for the squeamish.
villalamata.net: De ?ltimo minuto accidente en el puente Yuna deja dos personas muertas

I thought if that guy had not taken that lap around the park or if he had not passed me again on the curve, or the guy on the other motorcycle had stopped somewhere or maybe driven just a little slower or faster they may all still be alive today. It was their time to go...simple as that. They all had to be there at the same exact second for this to happen.

So now I wonder if we all have a pre-determined moment of death and all the choices we make (including eating that hamburger or not) are just basically leading up to that moment.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is an interesting topic that would be better to discuss in the off topic forum.

Regarding helping the poor eat healthy, while salads are good if they have property it would be best to plant something with carbohydrates, which most generally do.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i think that people who live the longest are those who do not die early, no? there is nothing one can do about time of death: one can eat healthily, exercise and still get run over by a truck delivering cabbage to a local supermarket. our choices regarding diet and living regime bear little significance on the length of life.

So do you think fate plays a part? You can't choose your genetics but you can choose not to smoke, drink in excess...etc. You can do everything in moderation and learn the best methods for dealing with stress, because Stress in one way or another is the greatest killer of all.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Anecdotal Information" is worthless.
When you include them in the "Average" NUMBERS, THEY CHANGE NOTHING.
Dominicans don't plant anything, because they can't see the future value in doing so.
They live in the moment, not the future.
About 10 years ago, I planted Mango and Avocado seeds from fruit I had eaten.
Today I have both.
If the guy on the "Motor" had eaten an egg for breakfast, and not "Mangu con Salami", would THAT have made any difference?
"$hit happens", no mater what we had for "breakfast", or the color of our shirt.
"If, "If's & But's", were "Candy & Nuts",...."Every Day Would Be CHRISTMAS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Own your life for the choices you have made, not for "Happenstance"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
It is funny that the people of japan smoke heavy drink eat a way too much salt and have been radiated many times but they live longer than most Americans and they are rated as some of the people that are the longest living. Also they use their wood ashes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So do you think fate plays a part? You can't choose your genetics but you can choose not to smoke, drink in excess...etc. You can do everything in moderation and learn the best methods for dealing with stress, because Stress in one way or another is the greatest killer of all.

when you say "fate" it sounds like "it's all written in the stars"... no... not what i mean... my friend's sister is a young woman, healthy. she got prego, all was going well: she was taking vitamins, following all advice, better food, no alcohol, no coffee... she have birth to a daughter who did not have one hand. it just did not develop. no history of genetic problems in the family, no medicine that could have caused deformation... just bad luck. it happened...

maybe what i'm saying is that there are factors stronger than diet and exercise. wrong place, wrong time...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Hey dv8, from where do you get your herrings? I've never found any here except in tins saturated with tomato sauce.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hey dv8, from where do you get your herrings? I've never found any here except in tins saturated with tomato sauce.

i should have added that "visited us" meant "my parents and i" (in poland). no herring here apart from the salty smoked thingy...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here in campo land everyone (apart from me) cooks outside on a fogon using wood. We are surrounded by trees, especially mahogany, and they just cut the trees down. Everyone is scared of the forestry men who patrol all the time, but I see enormous lorries passing full to the brim with massive mahogany trees on them.

The main illnesses here are diabetes - they all have it, and they all eat far too much sugar and white rice. The diet is very very little meat, maybe chicken once a week, rice, peas, beans and root veg. At the moment they are all stuffing their faces with mangos. Two ladies in the campo have had their legs amputated due to diabetes.

Agriculture is still very supportive and hands out seeds, and saplings and they come and give you advice on planting. I really think the people in the countryside are looked after much better than those in the towns. Witness my last blog when I was visited by the policlinic to take all my details to set up a medical record and told to go and collect free any medications I needed.

Matilda

May 5, 2007
you are joking me. the poor eat mostly carbs: rice and beans. many cannot afford meat and eat very little of it...

That one got me too, glad you picked it out first.typically the disadvantaged have very poor diet high in empty carbs that fill them up but provide little nutrition

May 5, 2007
It's in the genes and if you didn't win the gene lottery then all you can do is try to enjoy your "short" life to the fullest.

Dr Bruce Lipton walked away from a teaching job at a university after many years where he taught all about genes when he found out it was a bunch of lies. His experiments proved that the environment has more to do with who you are than genes. For example one experiment they took culture of stem cells split them into three groups and exposed to different environment and some became skin cells some became bone cell and some became mussel cells. His work will probably be the new teaching in about ten years

Man that is something for the SyFy channel, human cells mutating into giant shellfish

May 5, 2007
Your hypothesis lackes validity.
If you jump off a bridge, and it's not, "Your Turn To Die" what happens?
Except for "chip" that is, god will spare him!
I will probably "Die Young" because of "Poor Choices" I have made, Longevity wise, "FUN" wise I made the right choices.
I "OWN THAT"!
You should too, instead of your cavalier "Your Turn To Die" excuse.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cris, given your lifestyle, you should have been dead before you were born! :rambo:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not think it matters much what you use as fuel: gas or carbon. unless we are talking a grill. probably putting a plastic bag over the top f the food - to seal the flavour - cancels out all the benefits of fogon...

diabetes was one of the most popular conditions i remember from the pharmacy, boxes of pills sold every day. diet, of course, matters here bit even more so the education. i had countless clients asking for diabetes pill and grabbing a piece of cake when i was getting their meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.