Importing a vehicle from the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Some questions!!

I am weighting my options if I should bring my car to the DR. I need to know if someone has actually brought his/her car from the US to the DR. Please respond only if you have done it yourself. Do not tell me the way your father, brother, friend did it, tell me ONLY if you did it yourself and when. You are not helping me if you tell me "how YOU think" is done or how "your WHOMEVER" did it. Again, only replies from people that have ACTUALLY done it.
For example, from my part, I just called the person that I have sent hundreds of boxes to the DR and I asked him and he gave me some straight answers but I think that he is a little bit too pricey. Quote " Just to send the car, depending on the make, from US $ 800 t0 4,000 and then pay the aduana over there which could be from US $ 4,000 and above, depending on the car's make. If it's not a moving, the car can NOT be more than 4 years old, if it is a moving, the car can be older but would have had to be in your possesion for over 2 years". As I say, I think it's a little pricey but since I don't know, maybe someone can tell me of their experiences.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Miguel, write to Dianne of D&D. They moved everything from the states last year including the SUV. I'll PM you and give you her email.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
importing

Criss Colon said:
who has never lived in the DR,(I believe)trying to tell those of us who have lived and worked here for many years,how smart he is about "Things" in the DR!!!!!!
He knows more about importing a car,and customs that we do! We are all "Naysayers"!
Great,have it your own way! I love to be an,"I Told You So!!"
There are still people bringing in "TVs" on the airplane!!
By December,there will be pleanty of really nice "SUVs",("Yepetas" in the DR!)
for sale,as the "Hipolito" crowd will be selling their's because the government is no longer making their monthly payment!
I would estimate 15 to 20, or more posts a year on DR1 about bringing in vehicles/household goods.People "claiming" that they can bring "this or that" in duty free,or at a certain rate.That is NOT the reality here.It does not matter what you have been told,here or there!Be prepared to pay!
I was responsible for coordinating the importation of a complete hospital full of equipment,a government hospital,everything "supposedly" duty free! It never happens!I handed out 1000 peso notes like free tickets to a "Fernandito Villalona" concert!(Back when a 1000 pesos was real money!!
SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,in the DR,more than most countries,"Bullschit walks,and Money TALKS!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I hope you got fired. Bad planning. I shipped a complete hospital to Abu Dhabi many years ago --- It arrived as smooyh as siilk.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mi amore!!

Anna Coniglio said:
Miguel, write to Dianne of D&D. They moved everything from the states last year including the SUV. I'll PM you and give you her email.
Thanks. I got the pm and I will email her. Thanks.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
miguel said:
I am weighting my options if I should bring my car to the DR. I need to know if someone has actually brought his/her car from the US to the DR. Please respond only if you have done it yourself. Do not tell me the way your father, brother, friend did it, tell me ONLY if you did it yourself and when. You are not helping me if you tell me "how YOU think" is done or how "your WHOMEVER" did it. Again, only replies from people that have ACTUALLY done it.
For example, from my part, I just called the person that I have sent hundreds of boxes to the DR and I asked him and he gave me some straight answers but I think that he is a little bit too pricey. Quote " Just to send the car, depending on the make, from US $ 800 t0 4,000 and then pay the aduana over there which could be from US $ 4,000 and above, depending on the car's make. If it's not a moving, the car can NOT be more than 4 years old, if it is a moving, the car can be older but would have had to be in your possesion for over 2 years". As I say, I think it's a little pricey but since I don't know, maybe someone can tell me of their experiences.

Don't know if it helps but:
- ship you car in a 20ft container (if it fits into it) from NY to SD should cost you around 2000 USD.
- A few years ago, and I think it's still the case, the tax you were supposed to pay for your car was listed in a book published by the Direccion Gal de Aduanas (10USD or so). I had this book but mine is outdated. All models listed, with years, etc. It gives you a fair idea, because if you have a serious shipper and customs broker, it is unlikely you will pay more than the book value. In case of problem with the customs people, you have something to refer to.

Sorry, I didn't ship my car, it was cheaper in the DR, as I am not from the US.

If you need a customs broker I think some regular posters on this board have one. Mine is good but I am not sure if he deals with cars. If you need I can ask.

Barnab?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
See, that's what I mean!!

Barnabe said:
Don't know if it helps but:
- ship you car in a 20ft container (if it fits into it) from NY to SD should cost you around 2000 USD.
- A few years ago, and I think it's still the case, the tax you were supposed to pay for your car was listed in a book published by the Direccion Gal de Aduanas (10USD or so). I had this book but mine is outdated. All models listed, with years, etc. It gives you a fair idea, because if you have a serious shipper and customs broker, it is unlikely you will pay more than the book value. In case of problem with the customs people, you have something to refer to.

Sorry, I didn't ship my car, it was cheaper in the DR, as I am not from the US.

If you need a customs broker I think some regular posters on this board have one. Mine is good but I am not sure if he deals with cars. If you need I can ask.

Barnab?
Thank you, thank you. That was very helpful. I do believe that car shipment has triplet since a few years ago. I will keep on looking to see what is available out there. Thanks alot!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Oh,I'm So Sorry "TIT"!I thought you were shipping your car to Santo Domingo,

...not "Abu-Phucking-Dabi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Just shows how little you actually know about the DR!) :p
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Car

Criss Colon said:
...not "Abu-Phucking-Dabi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Just shows how little you actually know about the DR!) :p
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

No. Puerto Plata.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Driving ?

Wales said:
No. Puerto Plata.

Ever think about driving your car to Puerto Palta? It seem to me that that you can walk on water, why not drive on it?

Charlie

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Importing a car

chuckuindy said:
Ever think about driving your car to Puerto Palta? It seem to me that that you can walk on water, why not drive on it?

Charlie

PM me you telephone # and I promise you'll be the first to have a ride in it. It will be the only one in the Dominican Republic ------ So I am told by GM

Apr 26, 2002
Wales said:
...I promise you'll be the first to have a ride in it. It will be the only one in the Dominican Republic ------ So I am told by GM

Actually, the boys stole one just like it in Manhattan last night, and are looking for more. It is being shipped now. Soon, all the government officials in the DR will be driving them.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
car

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Actually, the boys stole one just like it in Manhattan last night, and are looking for more. It is being shipped now. Soon, all the government officials in the DR will be driving them.

I do not live in New York and mine is not stolen but if everyone in the Government has them soon as I said mine will be fine.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Walking on Water

chuckuindy said:

Charlie

Where is Puerto Palta? No, I will be flying.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Wales said:
Where is Puerto Palta? No, I will be flying.

I am so sorry, you see I am dyslexic. That?s right it is a chink in my armor. I am not sure if it is a mental or physical problem but I have had it most of my life. I am sure that this condition has kept me from achieving the wealth and status of a man like you, so please take pity on me.

I feel sure that my condition is not life threatening, in fact I have been able to do some traveling as you can see from the following link.

http://www.pbase.com/chuckuindy/root

If you know of some cure please let me know.

Charlie

Will someone please check all of this Jerk?s post to see if he has ever misspelled a word or made a grammatical or syntax error?

Apr 26, 2002
Wales said:
I hope you got fired. Bad planning. I shipped a complete hospital to Abu Dhabi many years ago --- It arrived as smooyh as siilk.
What are "smooyh" and "siilk"? Are they contageous?

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
chuckuindy said:
I am so sorry, you see I am dyslexic. That?s right it is a chink in my armor. I am not sure if it is a mental or physical problem but I have had it most of my life. I am sure that this condition has kept me from achieving the wealth and status of a man like you, so please take pity on me.

I feel sure that my condition is not life threatening, in fact I have been able to do some traveling as you can see from the following link.

http://www.pbase.com/chuckuindy/root

If you know of some cure please let me know.

Charlie

Will someone please check all of this Jerk?s post to see if he has ever misspelled a word or made a grammatical or syntax error?

Tes I have but i do not havbe a speach problem.

Closed Do no bother to reply.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Whatever

Wales said:
Yes I have but i do not have a speach problem.

Closed Do no bother to reply.

Looked at your web site. If that is the best you have to offer to this board.

Well Good luck. You will not be one of my treasured friends at our dinner parties. Wow! This certainly enables us to sieve the wheat from the chaff.
Otherwise we will just have a lot of hangers on.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Hate To Burst Your Bubble "Whale Boy",but you can't close a thread!!

Looks like you,and the guy from "GM", know almost nothing about the DR! Or maybe "GM" has a list of all cars imported into the DR that I don't know about!
We may not have "lights",or water,but we do have all the latest cars,including "GM" cars! But if you lived here,or knew anything about cars here,you would sell your GM car,and buy a Toyota,Corolla,Camry,something a living legend like you would drive,a Land Cruiser!
You see,you can get parts for the Toyota,but you will get old waiting for GM parts,and pay through the nose when and if they get here!
I thought that Americans could be obnoxious,but we can't hold a candle to this guy!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :confused:

PS:.."Chuck",I like your pictures! Especially the one of your girlfriend!!It always pisses off the other guys when the fat old guys with white beards get the best looking girls! I feel I can say this,because I am "Older","much "Fatter",and "Whiter" than you!
Please send me her telphone # so I can keep her warmed up when you are not here!I wish!!!!!!!!Here is a "Tip",I had a full beard,and my wife asked me to cut it off and just leave the mustache and "gotee"(Can't spell,but I do other things well!)Makes me look younger,more "hip",and the Dominican girls like it better! Please call me when you are in Santo Domingo,you seem like "fun"!! Cris Colon

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Wales said:
Looked at your web site. If that is the best you have to offer to this board.
The first sentence lacks a subject. The second sentence is a sentence fragment. I can't understand any of it.

BTW, where is your website?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Picture this:"Whale Boys" first dinner party,only "Escott" shows up,

and even he makes his excuses after 15 minutes claiming that he has a headache!!! :lick:

Status
Not open for further replies.