Importing a vehicle from the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
There's a ton of information posted on this subject and the official rule is that the vehicle can not be over 10 years old.

Sell it and buy a car here. It's a hell of a lot less trouble and if you take a little time you can find a decent deal.

la_salsa

May 25, 2006
what ever you do don't use Sea-Line-Cargo

This people tell you 20 different things once you sent the car with them. You pay to go in container because they suppost to have a wekly schedule but you car wont leave for a while untill they get u a ro/ro. Be adware of this company.

QUOTE=ElPresidente;218033]We will be moving to Sosua in the near future and I would like to take my 1998 Ford Ranger. I have found what appears to be a reasonably priced company in the US for shipping to the port Rio Haina. However, as I understand from previous DR1 postings I would be best off to contact a Customs Clearance Company to handle all import issues into the DR and delivery of the vehicle to Sosua (at a fixed price). I would appreciate information as to recommended companies, what I can expect in the way of service, price, etc.[/QUOTE]

canyonator

May 10, 2007
does anyone know of a way to do a dominican vehicle registration search in the for a vehicle in the DR done from the US ?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Really not sure what you are asking. This thread is 2 years old as well.
Where is the vehicle? DR or US?
Do you want to figure out if the vehicle has been imported and registered in the DR?

canyonator

May 10, 2007
registration

vehicle is in the DR, and I want to verify ownership, as according to the licence plates through registration

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Any new news on bringing a vehicle over? I plan on sending a Land Rover out of Miami using Ley 168 if still applicable. Any good shippers/brokers out of SoFlo/DR? How are imported boats treated?

Mike Vet

Nov 5, 2010
I shipped a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Track (pick-up type explorer) from NY under "ley 168".

USA
1-First I ordered the Title record certificate and the Registration Plate record from the Department of Motor Vehicle in NY and gave it to the shipping company Montero Shipping.

2- A month before my trip to DR, I contracted a shipping company Montero Shipping. A good and responsible company. They charged me $1,600 that included shipping in a container as oppose to open sea air, and consular paperwork. Since I envoked "Ley 168" I needed to have the consular paperwork. If you want to save money you can do the paperwork yourself. The transit took around 3 weeks.
3- Make sure you make copies of all papers and bring your original car registration.

Custom broker

1- After my car was on its way, through recommendation I contracted a Custom broker in the DR. He charged me $10,000 pesos around $310 US dollars. A little hefty, but it was worth it.
2-I took all the paper work from Montero Shipping and sent it to him for the initial legwork as the Vehicle was going to arrive before I did. If you let the shipping company send the paper themselves then you who have to have a power of attorney for someone else to receive the paper work for you in DR.
3- The custom broker was very reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy. He has been doing this since 1983. He took care of the initial fees and macuteo (shake down) at the receiving end. He really did an exceptional job.

Upon my arrival

1- I landed on a Sunday and I met with my Custom broker the next day. He informed me on what to expect and conduct myself at the Direccion de Aduanas.
2- On Tuesday,we went to Aduanas to deposit the paper work and interview for "ley 168". I had to purchase the right to the interview for 300 pesos. At the entrance to Exoneraciones, we were informed that Aduanas no longer accepts papers on Tuesdays and Thursdays as they had done before. The new days are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Caution, these days my change on a whim without notice.
3-We came back on Wednesday, the broker took another look at the paperwork a second time to make sure they were in order.
4-I went in to the department "exoneraciones" (tax exempt department). Tthe broker was not allowed in with me, the lady collected all my paper work and told me to wait for the interview.
***Make sure you have photocopies of your last and most recent passport cover to cover to include blank pages. Also, have copies of all original paper work*** Aduanas requires ogirinal and copies***You must must have the orignals no if and buts. A lot of people were sent away because the were missing originals and copies.

5-Lucky me I had a Custom Broker that put all my papers in orders. I had no problems.

6- The interview was short and sweet. The interviewer asked me
a. Where I was I going to reside in DR.
b. Was I going to bring households goods. I told them later on.
c. Was I married and how many children and were where they. I told them they were with me at my mother in laws house ( our new residence). Not entirely true. You must give the impression that you are coming for good. Don't tell them that you plan to travel every so often otherwise the law "ley 168" is not applicable.
d. What was I going to work. I told them that at the moment I had no plan. That I have my savings and that I own a finca that I plan to work, hence the reason why I needed the vehicle.
e. The interviewer concluded her questioning and told me to wait. She told me that an inspector was going to visit me at my residence.
7- I waited more than two hours, when a lady called my name, gave me a piece of paper with a serial number and phone number to call on Friday.

Observation while at the waiting areas.
1-Most people did not have they papers in orders.

2-Many had come several times before and because they were missing something they had to come back. Many still did not get their act together after several trip back and forward.

3-Few came in with big wigs (Generals and other government employee). It got them in alright but if they were missing something they were turned away with Genereals and all.

4-Many people who shipped their vehicle through a mom and pop shipping company had a problem with their manifest because their vehicles where shipped under the name of the shipping company and not the owner. This created problems for all.

For Canadians
1-There was a Canadian guy that did not have a record of registration or Title record. He claimed that in Canada they don't do those things. He was told to get some type of paper that show the history of the vehicle and its past owner.

The Call

I called Friday morning as I was told. The "oficio" was not out yet. I called are 2:30 and finally it came out. The oficio was transported to the port that Friday afternoon.

Aduanas at the port
Be physically and mentally prepare for this.

1- My broker and I went on Saturdays to retrieve the vehicle. We learnt that although the oficio arrived on Friday it was not received by "Audotoria" because they had no way of verifying it with the main Aduanas. Aduanas do not open on Saturday. So the oficio was still in archivos. Here I leant that I received a 50% percent reduction as oppose to the 60 or 70%.

2-We went on Monday. My broker got there first to start the long and tedious process. He was to call me with the amount in fees and taxes that needed to pay. It was around 12PM when he called me and told me that he did not have the total amount yet, because the personnel in audotoria locked themselves out of the office and were waiting on the Locksmith. I became anxious and told the broker that I was on my way.

3-I arrived and my broker had made some head ways, he spoke with the Colector (comptroller?) and explained the situation.

4-I was finally told of the amount that I have to pay. From $230,000 Pesos down to $40,473.40 Pesos under the "ley 168" that include a 50% discount. Don't ask me what formula they use or how they applie it.
5- I left for the bank to Boca Chica to a Cashier/Register check fo that amount.
6-Well I think I went thorugh more than 10 different departments, checking, rechecking and signatures. I arrived aroung 12:30 PM and left around 5 PM. My broker was there since 9:00 AM.

Finally I got my vehicle.

Amount spent in US dollars

USA
-Title and registration record $22 dollars by phone/internet. Cheaper at service centers.
-Shipping and consular paperwork $1,600 dollars. Cheaper if you don't plan to invoke ley 168 or plan ship it on your own.
****Note: My brother shipped a vehicle not using the service of a well established shipping company to save money. His vehicle took 3 months to arrive, was subjected to the elements on the ship and was shipped out of Boston instead of New York where he lives. The shipping company was trying to save money as well.
-Custom broker $310
-Tax and fee on the vehicle $1,263 dollars at a 32 pesos exchange.
-Fee for the right to the interview $9.40
-Macuteo (shake down) money at the port $15, (480 pesos) for 4 or 5 different people. My broker told me who to give 100 pesos to. 80 pesos were given to the people at the gate of the parking lot were my vehicle was located.
-Parking fee for the vehicle while at the parking lot $78 (2,500 pesos).

-Grand Total $3,275 Dollars.

I hope this helps. If you need a Cutom broker please PM me.
Yes I am a government employee retireing soon and in need of the services of your Broker. Thank you.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Santo Domingo, RD.- La direcci?n General de Aduanas de la Republica Dominicana reiter? este lunes la prohibici?n de la importaci?n de veh?culos con m?s de cinco a?os de fabricaci?n, as? como tambi?n la importaci?n de electrodom?sticos usados.

Record? que el art?culo 2 de la Ley 04-07, de fecha 8 de enero de 2007 que modifica la Ley 495 de fecha 28 de diciembre del 2006, sobre Rectificaci?n Fiscal proh?be la importaci?n de estos veh?culos comprendidos en las partidas arancelarias n?meros 87.02, 87.03, y en las subpartidas 8704.21 y 8704.31.

As? mismo record? la prohibici?n de los veh?culos denominados “salvamentos”, y dispone el comiso de los mismos y destrucci?n posterior; salvo en los casos en que se presente una certificaci?n emitida por la autoridad competente en el pa?s exportador.

Se?ala que los veh?culos y electrodom?sticos importados en violaci?n a estas disposiciones legales deber?n ser reembarcados dentro de un plazo de 20 d?as calendario, contados a partir de la fecha de llegada a puerto, o de lo contrario, se proceder? al comiso de los mismos.

La instituci?n recolectora del Estado aclar?, sin embargo, que las medidas de ley antes se?aladas no son aplicables a los diplom?ticos, misiones diplom?ticas y organismos internacionales acreditados en el pa?s, ni a las mudanzas de dominicanos y extranjeros realizadas en virtud de lo que establece la ley 314 y la ley 168, asi como la 146-00 sobre reforma arancelaria.
Yes you are alaud to bring your personal car to DR no matter the year.

Link of the news

La Naci?n Dominicana | ! Todo tu pa?s en un solo clic!... | Aduanas reitera prohibici?n importaci?n veh?culos con m?s de 5 a?os de fabricaci?n y de salvamentos

JJ

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Santo Domingo, RD.- La direcci?n General de Aduanas de la Republica Dominicana reiter? este lunes la prohibici?n de la importaci?n de veh?culos con m?s de cinco a?os de fabricaci?n, as? como tambi?n la importaci?n de electrodom?sticos usados.

Record? que el art?culo 2 de la Ley 04-07, de fecha 8 de enero de 2007 que modifica la Ley 495 de fecha 28 de diciembre del 2006, sobre Rectificaci?n Fiscal proh?be la importaci?n de estos veh?culos comprendidos en las partidas arancelarias n?meros 87.02, 87.03, y en las subpartidas 8704.21 y 8704.31.

As? mismo record? la prohibici?n de los veh?culos denominados ?salvamentos?, y dispone el comiso de los mismos y destrucci?n posterior; salvo en los casos en que se presente una certificaci?n emitida por la autoridad competente en el pa?s exportador.

Se?ala que los veh?culos y electrodom?sticos importados en violaci?n a estas disposiciones legales deber?n ser reembarcados dentro de un plazo de 20 d?as calendario, contados a partir de la fecha de llegada a puerto, o de lo contrario, se proceder? al comiso de los mismos.

La instituci?n recolectora del Estado aclar?, sin embargo, que las medidas de ley antes se?aladas no son aplicables a los diplom?ticos, misiones diplom?ticas y organismos internacionales acreditados en el pa?s, ni a las mudanzas de dominicanos y extranjeros realizadas en virtud de lo que establece la ley 314 y la ley 168, asi como la 146-00 sobre reforma arancelaria.

Link of the news

La Naci?n Dominicana | ! Todo tu pa?s en un solo clic!... | Aduanas reitera prohibici?n importaci?n veh?culos con m?s de 5 a?os de fabricaci?n y de salvamentos

JJ

I am confused, under what circumstances can you bring in a car of more than 5 years?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I am confused, under what circumstances can you bring in a car of more than 5 years?
Can you read the green paragraph in my post?
if need translation:
If you are a Dominican Moving to DR...
If you are a foreigner moving to DR...
If you are a diplomatic on duty in DR...
If are member of any organization working in favor of DR...

JJ

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can you read the green paragraph in my post?
if need translation:
If you are a Dominican Moving to DR...
If you are a foreigner moving to DR...
If you are a diplomatic on duty in DR...
If are member of any organization working in favor of DR...

JJ

This appears to be very good news. :bunny::bunny:

These groups can bring a car of any age?

If lets say an 8 year old double cab diesel pickup truck is sent by a "Dominican Moving to DR" will they charge a "registration" fee based on a newer model year. If the pickup truck had a nice big cap, could you load it up with other stuff?

Who is best person or company to use to send a car from NYC?

Thanks!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I would like to be allowed to ship no one but many of those old models Toyota Corolla to make a living about this.
Just take a look at this 1994 Corolla, putting another motor in it my final investment is US $ 500. bucks whem in DR this car is wolthy for RD $ 200,000.
GEDC0845.jpg

JJ

motor275

Jul 11, 2010
Importing a Motorcycle

I have seen all the info on importing a car into the DR, but does anyone have any information on the process to import a motorcycle into the DR?

I am interested in shipping from the USA, a 2007 Suzuki DL1000 for my use in the DR.

trs80

Aug 23, 2005
trs-80.blogspot.com
Well I called to DGA (aduanas) serveral times and I got mixed responses.
Some employees said that people importing their vehicles with law 168 are exempt but other employees said everybody are subject to the restriction. WELCOME TO DR !!!
I'm kind of lost here and I don't know if I may bring my 2005 Camry to DR :(

I found these links:
Veh?culos
Las autoridades aduanales dominicanas establecen la prohibici?n de importar veh?culos cuya fecha de fabricaci?n sea mayor a cinco (5) a?os, pudiendo ser incautados a menos que el importador cumpla con los requisitos de la ley 168; que permite a dominicanos o extranjeros residentes legales importar sus veh?culos usados por m?s de un a?o en el exterior. En estos casos, la Ley 168 concede la exenci?n del 51% de los impuestos, debiendo pagar solamente el 49% del total gravado.
International Packers

La prohibici?n tampoco abarca a las mudanzas de dominicanos y extranjeros realizadas en virtud de lo que establece la Ley 314, del 6 de julio de 1964, ni la Ley 168, del 27 de mayo de 1967, ni la Ley 146-00 sobre Reforma Arancelaria, del 11 de diciembre del 2000.
Aduanas?reitera prohibici?n importaci?n veh?culos?de 5 a?os fabricaci?n - ElNacional.com.do

Question 5
http://www.monteroshipping.net/preguntasfrecuentes.swf

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service - Support (DR1)

As? mismo record? la prohibici?n de los veh?culos denominados ?salvamentos?, y dispone el comiso de los mismos y destrucci?n posterior; salvo en los casos en que se presente una certificaci?n emitida por la autoridad competente en el pa?s exportador.

Link of the news

JJ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I wouldn't chance trying to bring in a vehicle older than 5 years old. I believe that if you invoke Law 168 you are supposed to be allowed to bring your vehicle even if it's older than 5 years old, but why take the chance. You may end up having to pay up a bunch of bribes or even worse lose your vehicle or have to ship it back out of the country.

PoorYorick

May 4, 2016
If you do trust the shipper to handle the customs side of things, just make sure they know their stuff and do it regularly. There's nothing more frustrating than having to deal with unexpected delays or costs while waiting for your car. I've used this company from the U.S. https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-dominican-republic.php and probably would again, just because they did have that aspect handled. There were still a few minor hangups, but nothing significant.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Well I called to DGA (aduanas) serveral times and I got mixed responses.
Some employees said that people importing their vehicles with law 168 are exempt but other employees said everybody are subject to the restriction. WELCOME TO DR !!!
I'm kind of lost here and I don't know if I may bring my 2005 Camry to DR :(

I found these links:
Veh?culos
Las autoridades aduanales dominicanas establecen la prohibici?n de importar veh?culos cuya fecha de fabricaci?n sea mayor a cinco (5) a?os, pudiendo ser incautados a menos que el importador cumpla con los requisitos de la ley 168; que permite a dominicanos o extranjeros residentes legales importar sus veh?culos usados por m?s de un a?o en el exterior. En estos casos, la Ley 168 concede la exenci?n del 51% de los impuestos, debiendo pagar solamente el 49% del total gravado.
International Packers

La prohibici?n tampoco abarca a las mudanzas de dominicanos y extranjeros realizadas en virtud de lo que establece la Ley 314, del 6 de julio de 1964, ni la Ley 168, del 27 de mayo de 1967, ni la Ley 146-00 sobre Reforma Arancelaria, del 11 de diciembre del 2000.
Aduanas*reitera prohibici?n importaci?n veh?culos*de 5 a?os fabricaci?n - ElNacional.com.do

Question 5
http://www.monteroshipping.net/preguntasfrecuentes.swf

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service - Support (DR1)

I was told by someone who I felt should have known and I believe he was being truthful that one could ship a car to Puerto Rico and it is still in the USA, then drive it onto the ferry to SantoDomingo and declare it to be your vacation vehicle and you have until the tag expires before you have to "regularize" it. Haven't tried, but I am being like Trump here: I heard it!
Der Fish

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was told by someone who I felt should have known and I believe he was being truthful that one could ship a car to Puerto Rico and it is still in the USA, then drive it onto the ferry to SantoDomingo and declare it to be your vacation vehicle and you have until the tag expires before you have to "regularize" it. Haven't tried, but I am being like Trump here: I heard it!
Der Fish

You wouldn't save a whole lot - costs as much to ship to PR as DR, plus the ferry isn't cheap. You'd still have to pay the outrageous first license plate fee, and probably the aduana cost too.

Old thread, others with more up to date info.

Status
Not open for further replies.