Patwa or Creole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Qu? hubo Lesley?,
Para fu?ir un ch?n te agradezco en Spanglish el "feedback". Me gusta darle "twists" de perspectiva hist?rica a los debates y aprender de los "insights' de los dem?s. Y considero muy "cool" tus intervenciones.
chao,
- Tordok
;)
:cross-eye :cool:

DRsScarface

Feb 26, 2004
Can someone tell me the name of the institution that is located/based in Spain and deals with anything that has to do with the Spanish/Castellano language. They are the ones that decide what is right and wrong when it comes to the language. Recuerdo que le? u art?culo que ten?a que ver con el espa?ol/castellano y la globalizaci?n y c?mo muchas compa?ias quer?a usar la N en vez de la ?. Solo quiero saber el nombre para responder a lo que dijo Quisqueya "who sets the rules...Don Quixote and Cervantes?" I sense a little sarcasm from you.

Quisqueya

Pero la mayoria de los hispanos(dominicans,colombians..etc) estan buscando el sueno americano "dinero y un mejoi futuro" and dont imigrate to a foreign land(USA or wherever) to perfect their spanish

You should know that not all Dominicans speak like this and that less and less Dominican people each year speak like this. This is a very big stereotype, seeing as not even all Cibae?os speak like this. Some people say this as a joke but this is very offensive and stereotypical so please refrain from saying things of that sort. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone said something like "when Haitians do vodoo..lol" because we know that not all Haitians do vodoo. Just please try to be less sarcastic.

yesi161

Dec 8, 2004
www.marykay.com
Patwa

Having a lot of Haitian friends, both young and wiser, the wiser ones have always told me that they spoke Patwa. I have never heard of a Haitian speaking Creole. Only the native New Orleanians(if that is a word) speak creole. Hope this helped. ;)

DOMIERICAN said:
My mom and I are having a bit of a disagreement. She insists that people that used to come from Haiti to cut sugar cane speak Patwa, were I assume that they speak Creole (after all isn't it Jamaicans that speak Patwa?) On all of the websites that I have looked at, I have found nothing to back up her claim...........
Can anyone else provide any information,perhaps Hillbilly.

Disagreement II

What is the official language of the Dominican Republic? Spanish or Castilian. BTW, her "trick" question was when she asked me what the official language of RD was. When I said Spanish....she smiled and said it was Castilian. This is what she bases her conclusion that the "Haitianos que cortan cana (that is not an n it an ~n) hablan Patwa" on......( yeah I know, I am just as confused!)

If possible answer before tonight prefered. I would be nice to eat dinner tonight ;) .

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
la Real Academia Espa?ola http://www.rae.es/

DRsScarface said:
Can someone tell me the name of the institution that is located/based in Spain and deals with anything that has to do with the Spanish/Castellano language. They are the ones that decide what is right and wrong when it comes to the language. Recuerdo que le? u art?culo que ten?a que ver con el espa?ol/castellano y la globalizaci?n y c?mo muchas compa?ias quer?a usar la N en vez de la ?. Solo quiero saber el nombre para responder a lo que dijo Quisqueya "who sets the rules...Don Quixote and Cervantes?" I sense a little sarcasm from you.

Quisqueya

Pero la mayoria de los hispanos(dominicans,colombians..etc) estan buscando el sueno americano "dinero y un mejoi futuro" and dont imigrate to a foreign land(USA or wherever) to perfect their spanish

You should know that not all Dominicans speak like this and that less and less Dominican people each year speak like this. This is a very big stereotype, seeing as not even all Cibae?os speak like this. Some people say this as a joke but this is very offensive and stereotypical so please refrain from saying things of that sort. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone said something like "when Haitians do vodoo..lol" because we know that not all Haitians do vodoo. Just please try to be less sarcastic.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
My ex is from New Orleans and she understood Haitian creole. So I'm guessing it is close enough.

yesi161 said:
Having a lot of Haitian friends, both young and wiser, the wiser ones have always told me that they spoke Patwa. I have never heard of a Haitian speaking Creole. Only the native New Orleanians(if that is a word) speak creole. Hope this helped. ;)

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
DRsScarface said:
Quisqueya,

Just because a government says that people are forced to go to school until a certain age doesn't mean that they actually do it. The truth is that most Haitians know ONLY creole and NO French at all. The only reason they know a bit of Spanish is because the DR is right next to them and many have been there. If a country like the U.S. whos laws are heavily enforced, cant keep people from dropping out of school (it is mandatory for all children to go to school until age 16), then how can a country like Haiti keep people in school and teach them 2 or 3 languages at a time? .

There is not one comment I mentioned that all Haitians speak french and not creole...The one thing for sure that all of us (Haitians) have in common is Creole....which I am very proud to speak and love to speak in front francophones and others since they can't understand but a few words and the perplexed look on their faces when they say "Quoi?"... Then I would teach them a few words and in like six months they would be rabbling in creole with me..especially the Quebecois(e)... Well, in my circle its normal for Haitians to speak 4 or 5 languages fluently...even the poor haitian merchants in DR speak English and many other languages they picked up from the tourist...

You might have had a very good education but that is definitely NOT the case for almost all of Haiti, a country with only about 50% literacy

And certainly the same thing can be said for dominicans...only a few percentage obtain a real real good education...

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
What are you talking about....

Tordok said:
I hope that I'm mistaken for sensing that some may view Dominican language as anything other than Spanish.
Please do not even try to push aside Dominican language and culture away from its clear "Spanish" axis. Let's put it this way; Dominicans who can read and write, do so in actual/historical/academic/international/acceptable/correct Spanish. They don't need a translation for "Cien A?os de Soledad" as originally written by Garc?a-M?rquez, or even the ancient lingo of Cervantes or Calder?n de la Barca. That's part of my linguisitic culture and heritage too....even if I am not a Spaniard. Those works, and everything published or lived in that Castilian language to this day, is part of a larger Spanish language world community. The Dominican Republic is indisputably part of that world. Books, magazines, websites, sattellite sports TV, musical mp3's, celebrities on tour, etc. if they are in Spanish, they are accesible to Dominicans. The same cannot be said of French culture and that of Haitians that speak only Kreyol.

Ok, why are you defending your Spanish heritage? The subject is about the language "Spanish" which it doesn't take a genious to realize dominicans do speak but with their own flavor... Jesus, why can't you guys just relax and not always be on the defensive.

Well, like a said any haitain that went to school can pick up any french book and read it. And our works, business, TV, celebrities, websites are all in french and any Francophone can understand... It just show your lack of knowledge about Haitian culure...

Now I will give you two haitian writers that are known worldwide in the Francophone community..

Jacques Roumain
Franketienne

Now this is just for starters the list goes on and on...BTW, how many common domincans can understand the concept of "Cien Anos de Soledad" Hmm??? Just because one can read doesn't mean they comprehend.. Better yet, try holding a conversation with a cashier at your nearest colmado or your taxi driver about Gabo and I'm sure you'll be very disappointed..

Spanish (or yes, Castillian as some clearly prefer) is my language and its history is part of my history regardless of time or place. Dominicans are part of the Spanish cultural civilization. For decades, Dominicans have been listening to the same pop music that Cubans, Mexican or Andalucians do even if we all speak somewhat differently. If it's written or spoken in Spanish, any Dominican can interact and relate with that intimately. See how popular untranslated Mexican and Venzuelan novelas (TV soap operas) are among the Dominican populus. So even the semi-literate can do it. Same for Panamanians, Uruguayans, Puerto Ricans, etc.. For the literate among us, from early on we read Cantares del M?o Cid to Unamuno or Lorca from Spain, as well as Mart?n Fierro from Argentina or the grammar of Andr?s Bello. We are taught the proper rules of the language even if we do not typically care much for them when we speak as part of our general informality.

Again you are off the topic and defending your Spanish heritage...Take a deep breath and don't look into the "espejo"... Seriously though, you know damn well a typical domincan (that's semi-literate) can't conversate intimately about these books mentioned above...ARE you kidding around or what...

Uneducated Haitians (many of the laborers in the DR) cannot relate to Voltaire, Sartre,V?ctor Hugo, or know about l? Bardot, Derrida and Johnny Halliday. They can only understand their insular Kreyol. The educated elites are indeed still francophilic, and of course enjoy Proust, Balzac, and Camus...or Houellebecq. But they are a 'tr?s petit' group.

They may can't relate but let me tell you Kreyol is a very beautiful and very very abstract language. And I am proud to speak such a unique language and express myself in Kreyol...

BTW, I am not here to insult u or go back in forth about the Dominican culture rather I prefer hearing your inputs and your perspective...Oh also have you read "Memorias de mis putas tristes" which to me was a short spinoff of "Cien Anos de Soledad"...Gabo cheated his audience big time.....I would love to hear your insight...

A bientot...

- Tordok
* I must mention that I'm impressed with the depth and breadth of expertise from Lesley and Chiri. Thank you, I keep learning. Also I'm glad that Haitians are giving us their perspectives too on these topics. :glasses:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Barnabe said:
C'est de la provocation! ;)

Quisqueya, as a born and bred middle class reasonably educated Parisian, I would say that is is a VERY personal opinion!;) ;)

He was descendant from a French aristocrat settled in Saint-Domingue, French island, with a black slave. It was before Toussaint Louverture and Haiti's revolution. This said just for the pleasure of being controversial ;);) ;)

Barnab?
LOl..............Vous avez raison....Shhhh!!!!!!...Tabernacle!!!
BTW, ...Are you near Brossard????.. ;)

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Actually you mean the ones with the inferior complex always tell you they speak patois...I speak creole...I beautiful language....well, let me tell you something all Haitians speak creole..those are probably some low class haitian that barely can't speak french properly..and go tell them I said that..and I'll bet you they will look stupid...better yet tell them your haitian friend that went to Quisqueya University said it...they will shut up QUICK....

yesi161 said:

Last edited:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
xamaicano said:
My ex is from New Orleans and she understood Haitian creole. So I'm guessing it is close enough.

Majority of the New Orleans(mulattos and whites, blacks) with french last names are haitian/french descendants that left Saint Domingue during the uprise...and also alot of Acadians settled their....The whole medwest of the Americas were french property b4 they sold it to the USA...because Napolean was broke after trying to get back St. Domingue...what an idiot...only if he knew..

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Quisqueya said:
LOl..............Vous avez raison....Shhhh!!!!!!...Tabernacle!!!
BTW, ...Are you near Brossard????.. ;)

Not at all, ma petite dame, I am close to le Moulin Rouge in Paname, I don't even know Brossard, it sounds Qu?b?cois?

Barnab?

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
I responded but damn thing got deleted ........so this one will not be in depth...ok..
DRsScarface said:

Yes I was being sarcastic....Why do you need for a spaniard to confirm what is the correct way to speak your own language...Domincan spanish..Castellano or whatever term you prefer..I thought you guys were independent..sure dont think like an independent nation..Even the spaniards were influence by the Moroccans(8 centuries or so)...but try telling them that is like trying to tell a domincan that he has African roots..LOL...Sarcasm again....
Quisqueya

Now how the HELL do you know that I can just happen to speak like a Cibaeno en el campo...Relax...In in my opinion dominicans are starting to speak spanish worse than b4 especially those dominicans yorks..

And what's wrong with doing Vaudou...You guys do it to...and why are u so worked up...I didn't offend you at all actually I defended the way caribenos speak spanish...I should've known not to defend the enemy :cry: ..just kidding relax...Dude if i was insulting the way cibaenos speak I would cut off every other word and eliminate the "S"...hehhehehe....ok, I will stop..I don't want you to bring out Duartes picture and the bandera just for that...save it for the PRicans and other S. American group who constantly insult you in your face but you guys keep quiet and never say anything..but if un haitiano says something....you guys are ready for a civil war...sad but so so true....

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Barnabe said:
Not at all, ma petite dame, I am close to le Moulin Rouge in Paname, I don't even know Brossard, it sounds Qu?b?cois?

Barnab?

J'suis desole mon vieux.... oh, je suis un homme....so Im assuming you see alot of haitains around....

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Quisqueya said:
J'suis desole mon vieux.... oh, je suis un homme....so Im assuming you see alot of haitains around....

Faut pas ?tre d?sol? pour ?a ;) . Yes , many haitians around

Barnab?

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Quisqueya said:
I responded but damn thing got deleted ........so this one will not be in depth...ok..

Now how the HELL do you know that I can just happen to speak like a Cibaeno en el campo...Relax...In in my opinion dominicans are starting to speak spanish worse than b4 especially those dominicans yorks..

And what's wrong with doing Vaudou...You guys do it to...and why are u so worked up...I didn't offend you at all actually I defended the way caribenos speak spanish...I should've known not to defend the enemy :cry: ..just kidding relax...Dude if i was insulting the way cibaenos speak I would cut off every other word and eliminate the "S"...hehhehehe....ok, I will stop..I don't want you to bring out Duartes picture and the bandera just for that...save it for the PRicans and other S. American group who constantly insult you in your face but you guys keep quiet and never say anything..but if un haitiano says something....you guys are ready for a civil war...sad but so so true....

Dominicans do vodou too , its not so much a part of our culture like it is for the Haitians .Now ,im really gonna have to disagree with you on people insulting us and stayin quiet, where im from there have been riots when there was mob disrespect toward us and i know very few Dominicans that would stay shut when being dissed by another Hispanic becuase of our culture,becuase they ALL have flaws (other hispanics)and things to be made fun of that would hurt them emotionally, so many dont even try to talk crap in our faces (they know the consequences) .Also , the same treatment you feel you recieve on these boards would be the same if u were Jamaican, Trinidadian, PR,Cuban,Colombian,Mexican or whatever , however because of Historical reasons and other reasons too,people get more offended when it comes from a Haitian . as for the way we speak , im proud of it , no matter how wrong or correct it is ,its my language and im gonna speak it no matter what ANYBODY says and they way i want to , i beleive most Dominicans share my veiw on that . Plus what do you mean by "ready for a civil war".? if you mean war against Haiti it wouldnt a civil war, just a war(to be politically correct).Now to stay on topic, Haitians speak Creole(according to the English language books)

Apr 26, 2002
Quisqueya

You were doing so well there. Everyone knows how easy it is for Haitians to provoke Dominicans - even if the provocation is by harking on some silly Dominicanisms.

No, it will be a much greater challenge to not tease, even when it is so easy to get a reaction out of people. Are you up to the challenge or is this thread doomed?

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
You were doing so well there. Everyone knows how easy it is for Haitians to provoke Dominicans - even if the provocation is by harking on some silly Dominicanisms.

No, it will be a much greater challenge to not tease, even when it is so easy to get a reaction out of people. Are you up to the challenge or is this thread doomed?

I guess your the moderator...Listen, I have no intention of disrespecting anyone here..but if anyone is spreading false information about Haitians on the WWW..remember the audience is World Wide...I refuse to keep my mouth shut...but I will not use any profanity...And its not like I am making things up about the dominicans..I speak the truth and we all know the truth hurts...Dominicans need to show haitians respect and vice versa...

This thread is/was great....Especially the input that Les, Chiri...and others....
But some how it turned into a dead end...by some few who got off the topic...

Ok, I will refrain from teasing..But some dominicans really think they are better than us(Haitians)...Please...smell the coffee...

But for the sake of this thread I will avoid any conflicts...but you need to check refrain some people of spreading mis-information about my peoples...

Now back to the topic..We hatians speak CREOLE not Patois....and alot are fluent in French and act frenchier than the french.... We were colonized by the French so we have been influence by the French Culture.. Many haitians study at the best schools in France,Canada, Belgium, Switzerland...and are comfortable with the language and speak it since birth...but We all speak our mother tongue CREOLE.....

DRsScarface

Feb 26, 2004
Quisqueya....

OBVIOUSLY we need the Real Academia Espa?ola to tell us how to use spanish/castellano correctly because Spanish/castellano does come from Spain, so they would know how to place the words in each sentence correctly. It's like if you want to learn French, the best place to go is France NOT Haiti or some other country that was colonized by France. We're not trying to be part of spain because if we wanted to be part of Spain we could've but we don't (ever heard of la guerra de Restauraci?n). We're not trying to get Spain to love us or become part of them, you're the one braggin about how you speak such good French and how Haitian French is so much like Parisian French.

And if their are so many educated Haitians and they can go to Canada if they graduate High School, why aren't most of them over there. I'm damn sure that if i was a poor Haitian and graduated High School and they invited me to Canada i would be on the first plane there. However this doesn't happen in so many large numbers as you want to think because education is at the very bottom of the priorities of the Haitian governement (if Haiti even has a government).

We know the education system in the DR needs A LOT of work but please don't come and compare it with the Haitian one and don't say that there are just as many illiterate Dominicans as there are Haitians.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It did get a little heated, so I avoided making a follow-up point until now.

Quisqueya, are you really claiming that Dominican Spanish is to RAE Spanish as Haitian Creole is to French?

Haitians developed a Creole, as did many other French colonies, but nothing of the sort evolved in the DR nor in any of the Spanish colonies.

Haiti got rid of its colonial masters in 1804, the Dominicans got their independence from Spain quite a bit later on, towards the end of the 19th century. In Haiti the Africans and the French did not mix as much as the Africans and the Spanish in the DR.

Could this account for the differences? In contrast to Quisqueya, I've heard some Haitians put forward Creole as an example of their strong sense of identity and independence - as opposed to Dominicans who continue to speak the language of their former colonial masters.

A similar argument is used to account for the fact that unlike the Dominicans, they did not embrace the US invaders' national sport as their own: Haitians are football mad. Did they get that from the French? Does football go back that far? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.