Sankies and Safe Sex

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Sankies are accomplished liars and con artists. One of the lines they use is this whole concept of being tested. To get a job in a hotel you must get medicaly tested for HIV / AIDS. In SOME hotels there is a 3month retesting regulation but I know of NO hotel that actually enforces this. I have heard from many women that these guys are using the line that they have to get tested regularly or they would lose their jobs. They are still working so they must be clean.....It is a load of crap. I know of multiple women who have gotten STD's from Sankies.

Also even if they were tested yesterday doesn't mean they didn't have unsafe sex last night! The island of Hispaniola has a high incidence of HIV / AIDS - unsafe sex is not an option here.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I'm extremely doubtful. I can't imagine any university in New York City or anywhere in the academic world that would permit their graduate students to collect information in this manner. Normally you sit down with the interview subject get informed consent, right to publish, details about how the information will be used, how the identity will be protected, information about the method etc. Which university are you with? Who is your faculty advisor?

~Margaret
Voyeurism 101 ??? Kamasutra Uni .... cheaper than a trip to the DR ;)

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Smells funny ....

....In particular I am interested in finding out more about condom use between women tourists who have had intimate relations with sankies, or local men. I promise to use any information that is provided for the purpose of my master's thesis and not for public uses. Because this is a fairly new and emerging phenomenon, I am interested in understanding if female tourism and sex in the DR could lead to a new area of research in public health.
Both women and men tourists to the DR engage in sex with Dominicans and sankies have sex with sankiettes and other Dominicans (aka many-to-many relationship in IT) .... so I don't understand why your focus is on women tourists only. If your objective is to affect public health policies in the DR, I think you would be misguided to exclude such a large segment of the population - i.e. DR women engaging in sex with foreign men (also homosexuals do have sex in the DR). Unless your goal is to protect STD between sankies and foreign women, which is discrimination - maybe a NOW conspiracy to eliminate males in NA. :ermm:

Last edited:

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Nonsense.
This is a myth which both the sankies and the sex seeking gringas perpetuate.
The former because of business reasons, the latter because of calming themselves and fooling others.

BTW, what happened to your promise to refrain from posting until you actually visited the country?

m'frog

You got the wrong girl - I AM NOT AVRORA

GradStudentNYC

Nov 25, 2006
Yep you're right

Out of curiosity, why do you think information gleaned from anonymous subjects on a public message board would be authentic? Data collected for research purposes must adhere to some qualitative and quantitive methods which obviously would be unsubstantiated from a public message board. I'm a little doubtful :ermm:

I'm not collecting data to prove one point or the other...I'm interested anecdotally about women's experiences. Researchers often turn to message boards and other public domain in learning more about a given topic. I'd rather be upfront and say it then be covert. Also, there are many other ways to understand a social phenomenon, and to provide "thick descriptions"---quantitative analysis of data is only one way among many...

GradStudentNYC

Nov 25, 2006
Thanks for sharing

this might just be my own oppinion but the animation team member who tried to bed me had a condom and put it on straight away.... maybe it was cause i am so young... but it didnt put me at ease it made me question why this guy carried around a condom with him at work..... but hey thats just me and i was in the dark about sankies at the time!

Thanks for sharing Shooting Star!

GradStudentNYC

Nov 25, 2006
I'm extremely doubtful. I can't imagine any university in New York City or anywhere in the academic world that would permit their graduate students to collect information in this manner. Normally you sit down with the interview subject get informed consent, right to publish, details about how the information will be used, how the identity will be protected, information about the method etc. Which university are you with? Who is your faculty advisor?

~Margaret

Hi Margaret... before you jump to conclusions, read my earlier post. This is for anecdotal purposes. This is not being done for empirical research. And does anyone know the identity of people who post on this board? I don't. Message boards are public domain...I asked a question, and people are free to respond or not respond. You certainly don't have to if you don't have anything to share.

GradStudentNYC

Nov 25, 2006
Partly right...

I'm taking a wild guess here that maybe it's about condom use in general and by doing a web search she came up with DR1 many many times as we have discussed this subject a few dozen times and perhaps having read the rules about every subject having to have a DR content ( not like some people we know :rolleyes: ) she has gone with sankie pankie.

But let's wait for her answer. ;)

Look at her words carefully

I am interested in female sex tourism as an emerging, and some say, growing form of tourism in the Caribbean. Sex tourism has been linked around the world to the spread of HIV and I am interested in learning if there is a potential health risk here, not just to tourists but to the sankies as well.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Good book

There is a book by Denise Brennnan called "What's Love Got to Do With It: Transnational Desires and Sex Tourism in the Dominican Republic".
I've read it and it's amazing. It talks about the economic issues in the Dominican Republic, specifically pertaining to women. However, it deals with sex tourism and tourists. There are some personal stories of some Dominican women in there and it specifically deals with Sosua, but does discuss other parts of the island. It's an amazing book and I think it would have some good information, as well as have other resources that you could use.
Hope that helps ; )

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Who would understand what you are talking about, and why you chose this topic for your thesis. I don't get it. :ermm:

Sankies that work in resorts get tested for HIV when they first get hired to work in resorts. I don't know if there are follow up tests required and if so how often. I'll see if I can find out.

Sankies perform sex on the fly and if you (the tourist) doesn't have a condom, they won't.

If you go to a cabana, they provide them for you.

Trust and condom use go hand in hand. As mentioned, having unprotected sex in this day in age is stupid, especially with a one timer on a vacation.

All resort resort employees get tested when they are hired and there is a follow test done yearly - seems a postitive test result would be just a tad too late.:ermm:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Never trust the word of a sankie ever!!!!

If anyone is interested to do a search we've had this discussion a few dozen times.

It would make sense that employees get tested for things that are spreadable to all the guests in a hotel such as TB, hepatitis A&B which is spread through food and drink handling.

And since you're really not suppose to be having sex with the hotel guests an expensive HIV test every 3 months in a country like the DR seems very unreasonable but sure works wonders on those that want to believe it coming from the mouth of a sankie right ;)

But I do believe that any decent hotel would want on going testing of TB, hepatitis A&B on their employees.

Remember in the DR the initial testing for HIV and pregnancy is done so they don't have to hire someone in the first place, don't fool yourselves into the belief it's for the benefit of the guests. ;)

Last edited:

GradStudentNYC

Nov 25, 2006
More assumptions

Voyeurism 101 ??? Kamasutra Uni .... cheaper than a trip to the DR ;)

Voyeurism 101? Hardly.

And I have been to the DR to do research on this topic--in fact I just returne.

Feel free to make assumptions about me, it doesnt bother me at all.

A special thank you to those who have kindly shared their stories with me.

GradStudentNYC

Nov 25, 2006
Yep great book!

There is a book by Denise Brennnan called "What's Love Got to Do With It: Transnational Desires and Sex Tourism in the Dominican Republic".
I've read it and it's amazing. It talks about the economic issues in the Dominican Republic, specifically pertaining to women. However, it deals with sex tourism and tourists. There are some personal stories of some Dominican women in there and it specifically deals with Sosua, but does discuss other parts of the island. It's an amazing book and I think it would have some good information, as well as have other resources that you could use.
Hope that helps ; )

Yes that's a very helpful, insightful book. Since I'm not a "voyeur" as some people have alleged, obviously to do a master's thesis you have to read a lot of literature: Try "behind the smiles" by Gmelch and Sexing the Caribbean by Kemala Kempadoo....all very insightful.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
That's crazy!!

Yes that's a very helpful, insightful book. Since I'm not a "voyeur" as some people have alleged, obviously to do a master's thesis you have to read a lot of literature: Try "behind the smiles" by Gmelch and Sexing the Caribbean by Kemala Kempadoo....all very insightful.

That's so crazy that you have read a book by Kamala Kempadoo, she's my thesis supervisor right now for my thesis on sex trafficking and sex work in Latin America and the Caribbean!! She's a professor at York University in Canada, she's GREAT!! There is another book by her called "Sun, Sex and Gold" or something like that based on the Caribbean as well. As well as "Global Sex Workers" edited by her and a few other people as well. Wow. Maybe we could exchange information and resources. Although I think you're a little further ahead, as I am right now working on a detailed literature review for her. I have other resources on your topic as well if you need some. Let me know through PM or something.

GradStudentNYC

Nov 25, 2006
We've gotta talk!

That's so crazy that you have read a book by Kamala Kempadoo, she's my thesis supervisor right now for my thesis on sex trafficking and sex work in Latin America and the Caribbean!! She's a professor at York University in Canada, she's GREAT!! There is another book by her called "Sun, Sex and Gold" or something like that based on the Caribbean as well. As well as "Global Sex Workers" edited by her and a few other people as well. Wow. Maybe we could exchange information and resources. Although I think you're a little further ahead, as I am right now working on a detailed literature review for her. I have other resources on your topic as well if you need some. Let me know through PM or something.

TK!!! We have to talk. I have read all of those books. She's a trailblazer in this area of research. Sh'es your thesis supervisor? Wow!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
If anyone is interested to do a search we've had this discussion a few dozen times.

It would make sense that employees get tested for things that are spreadable to all the guests in a hotel such as TB, hepatitis A&B which is spread through food and drink handling.

And since you're really not suppose to be having sex with the hotel guests an expensive HIV test every 3 months in a country like the DR seems very unreasonable but sure works wonders on those that want to believe it coming from the mouth of a sankie right ;)

But I do believe that any decent hotel would want on going testing of TB, hepatitis A&B on their employees.

Remember in the DR the initial testing for HIV and pregnancy is done so they don't have to hire someone in the first place, don't fool yourselves into the belief it's for the benefit of the guests. ;)

Anna - you are correct.

Any employee -foreigner or Dominican has to go through a series of blood work and HIV testing before they are hired. One reason for the pregnancy test - is that when an employee goes on leave for pregnancy - the employer has to continue paying the employee. Unlike us here, where EI comes into play.
When I worked at POP Village - it was a one time testing and never heard of any of the other employees having to get it done routinely.
Incidently, when I changed jobs and went to Playa Naco - I did not need to be tested for anything - just hired - ?
Marlie

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
Who would understand what you are talking about, and why you chose this topic for your thesis. I don't get it. :ermm:

Sankies that work in resorts get tested for HIV when they first get hired to work in resorts. I don't know if there are follow up tests required and if so how often. I'll see if I can find out.

Sankies perform sex on the fly and if you (the tourist) doesn't have a condom, they won't.

If you go to a cabana, they provide them for you.

Trust and condom use go hand in hand. As mentioned, having unprotected sex in this day in age is stupid, especially with a one timer on a vacation.

Actually you might be surprised how many people are interested in this topic. There are several papers and sites that I have read on the topic posted by academics on the web. You should know by the many postings on this topic in this message board that it's an interesting topic and for anyone pursuing a master's in public health or any related field, it is a VERY relevant topic! I think only someone with their head stuck in the Dominican sand would think it not relevant.

Cabezas, Between Love and Money

These are just two of the articles or websites that I found about the topic. They may be helpful to the user in her/his thesis.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Contact

Hi Margaret... before you jump to conclusions, read my earlier post. This is for anecdotal purposes. This is not being done for empirical research. And does anyone know the identity of people who post on this board? I don't. Message boards are public domain...I asked a question, and people are free to respond or not respond. You certainly don't have to if you don't have anything to share.

You might also consider contacting ES Herold who published his research in AIDS Soc. 1992 Oct-Nov;4(1):7.

Family Relations & Applied Nutrition

Entrez PubMed

And by the way, material published on Web pages and forums are not in the public domain. They are copyrighted, all rights reserved.