Sankies and Safe Sex

momita

May 17, 2006
it is ignorance that makes people careless, maybe romo can too be blamed as an accomplice.
btw, I was just clearing up that rates although elevetad compared to developed countries, are nowhere near those of Africa.

sometimes ignorance is worst than stupidy......:surprised

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006

MiXED_LATiNA_CHiCA

May 29, 2007
Most dominican men do not really use condoms all the time, y the sankies? They don't really care what diseases they contract and pass around, lets face it. And if they get a gringa pregnant, sometimes that is bonus (for some sankie, not all), porque then they get something that locks their gringa into the relationship even when la gringa has discover truth about the sankie. And also I have heared of situation where rich gringas living in the RD get sankies who even like to marry them for an easy life!

Safe sex is alien to the majority of our sankies.

dmihajlovic

Apr 14, 2008
when i was there last month i made alot of friends with nice guys from the hotel. (i did not sleep with them) but everytime they'd pull out there wallets for something i could always see a condom or two in it. maybe it was just these guys but they all carried them and seemed like they would be using them.

Feb 15, 2005
I know of a beautiful foriegn woman living in DR who was going out with a sankie and she left him but not after contracting, of all things, mumps. Mumps is passed through saliva.

dmihajlovic

Apr 14, 2008
Sankies that work in resorts get tested for HIV when they first get hired to work in resorts. I don't know if there are follow up tests required and if so how often. I'll see if I can find out.

i know at the resort i stayed at, they get tested every 3 months, not only for hiv but drugs and such too. thats animacion though, not sure for the others

dmihajlovic

Apr 14, 2008
or maybe they were hinting at something??

odd that they would flash condoms!!

hahaha well good point but i dont think so, they wernt flashing it really i just saw. plus they were not hitting on me at all, my guy friend i went with also noticed them. :p

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Mumps are easily prevantable as all children in Canada and the US are vaccinated against them and others. Booster shots are given when you are an adult to combat such diseases. What a shame.

curlyq

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
A couple of years ago I did research in the DR about AIDS (machismo, stigmatization and knowledge about aids influencing condom uses among adolescents in the DR). At the time about 85% of the HIV/AIDS cases of the carribean were on the island of hispanolia (most in Haiti).
The HIV prevalence was 2,5%, where (if I remember correctly) a percentage higher then 1 (of the general population) is considered to be an epidemic and difficult to control. Almost 5% of the population most at risk (sexworkers, gay people and drug addicts) were infected.
The DR did put some money into AIDS prevention and education and numbers were dropping, also condom use was rising.

I did my research mainly under adolescents in the north part of the country (surrounding tourist areas).
After analysis of the results it turned out that dominican adolescents used more condoms then their american/european counterparts. Personally I think this is a little bit hard to believe and could partly be the effect of giving a social desirable answer (although that happens everywhere, but i think stronger here) and partly it is, because in europe/usa girls use more other forms of contraception.
But anyway, this does point out that using condoms is considered a good thing.
And I always hear all my (male) dominican friends say that they usa a condom, ESPECIALLY with gringas. Now Im not standing in the room with them when they do it, so its impossible for me to know for sure, but I do think they use alot more condoms then people think/expect. (at least in tourist areas)

Last edited:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
And I always here all my (male) dominican friends say that they usa a condom, ESPECIALLY with gringas. Now Im not standing in the room with them when they do it, so its impossible for me to know for sure, but I do think they use alot more condoms then people think/expect. (at least in tourist areas)

Bearing in mind that most of the "encounters" would be taking place in cabanas and short time hotels where condoms are provided with the room, I think that the percentage of safe sex would be relatively high.

My 2 pesos worth!
Rio

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
whew, what a relief...

i know at the resort i stayed at, they get tested every 3 months, not only for hiv but drugs and such too. thats animacion though, not sure for the others

I feel safer already!!

how do you know this?

Feb 15, 2005
I have my prejudice, but I beleive that most of the STDs come from foreigners looking for sex and not the other way around. As a local you have a belief that these estranjeros come from across the ocean so "they MUST be safe". In most foreign countries, if you give someone an dangerous STD, you may be taken to court or even arrested. This doesn't happen in DR.

Now if I was a resort worker, I would protect myself from the tourists as well. But that's just me and my opinion.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There is a book by Denise Brennnan called "What's Love Got to Do With It: Transnational Desires and Sex Tourism in the Dominican Republic".
I've read it and it's amazing. It talks about the economic issues in the Dominican Republic, specifically pertaining to women. However, it deals with sex tourism and tourists. There are some personal stories of some Dominican women in there and it specifically deals with Sosua, but does discuss other parts of the island. It's an amazing book and I think it would have some good information, as well as have other resources that you could use.
Hope that helps ; )

I have that book and read it several times. I was always bothered by her take on the whole subject but could not put my finger on it until recently.

Her premise on the factors and motivations that drive dominican women into sex tourism and their justification for their behavior once they are in that life is completely one-sided. I really don't understand how it took her almost 10 years of research to come up with such a narrow-minded, pro feminist view.

Her book really does the subject a disservice. Then again, I'm sure she got paid well to sit in the sun and listen to all the lies and pathetic justifications of her subjects. Beats the hell out of getting a real job, I suppose.

And yes, I did recommend this book at one point in time. But like I said I've changed my viewpoint after reading it more than once.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I have my prejudice, but I beleive that most of the STDs come from foreigners looking for sex and not the other way around. As a local you have a belief that these estranjeros come from across the ocean so "they MUST be safe". In most foreign countries, if you give someone an dangerous STD, you may be taken to court or even arrested. This doesn't happen in DR.

Now if I was a resort worker, I would protect myself from the tourists as well. But that's just me and my opinion.

I agree to a certain extent...

However, i read somewhere, The male lower class youths are opposed to protection and have practised unsafe sex, having both female and male partners. I cant remember exact percentage but it was well over %30. Can this be right?

Feb 15, 2005
I don't know about that. But my feelings are that tourists are just as likely to practice unsafe sex as local. Especially, if they found a girlfriend or boyfriend. Gauranteed that during the 2 or 3 trip, both parties are engaging in non-condom sex.

But my other point is that resort workers would be caught off-guard to believe that all of these young girls or women are ALL STD free.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Agree with you final assment of book.

I have that book and read it several times. I was always bothered by her take on the whole subject but could not put my finger on it until recently.

Her premise on the factors and motivations that drive dominican women into sex tourism and their justification for their behavior once they are in that life is completely one-sided. I really don't understand how it took her almost 10 years of research to come up with such a narrow-minded, pro feminist view.

Her book really does the subject a disservice. Then again, I'm sure she got paid well to sit in the sun and listen to all the lies and pathetic justifications of her subjects. Beats the hell out of getting a real job, I suppose.

And yes, I did recommend this book at one point in time. But like I said I've changed my viewpoint after reading it more than once.

She spent very little time explaining the fact that these younger women are put in this situation because they have 2, 3 or more children from Dominican boyfriends who don't use condoms or pay support.