Some dude pimp slaps an AMET officer

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
granted we did not see the events leading up to this. We are not getting the full picture here. It did seem to me that the officer had a very arrogant air about him as he grabbed the keys. Once the perp/victim slapped him he showed his true colors by doing nothing.
The Amet guy came off like an unprofessional bully who got bullied by a bigger bully.

Dec 26, 2011
I disagree, the Law should demand respect, they are the law after all. The attitude that an officer has to prove himself to joe public before the public show respect is not what an authority is all about.

Law and authority are constructs. Most humans don't need laws or authority to coerce them into beneficial behaviors or to dissuade them from harmful ones. I take the view that we're basically decent and cooperative. Those people that don't need to be policed are protected by people that authority has been given to artificially from the malignant dysfunctional individuals amongst us. That's fine. But if those entrusted with such authority have repeatedly and unashamedly abused it they cannot reasonably expect to be taken seriously.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
granted we did not see the events leading up to this. We are not getting the full picture here. It did seem to me that the officer had a very arrogant air about him as he grabbed the keys. Once the perp/victim slapped him he showed his true colors by doing nothing.
The Amet guy came off like an unprofessional bully who got bullied by a bigger bully.

I agree. Previous events must have triggered that guy's reaction. That's not saying it was an excuse, but it could explain the sudden explotion. He keeps yelling "Tu me tienes jarto (I'm sick of you)", so probably something was up before the video started to roll, and probably that something was what prompted the video to be recorded in the first place. I think the AMET had no right to take his keys without asking for them first. But then again, we don't know if he did. I think no matter what, authority must be respected at all costs. There must be better ways to demand justice if justice is not being served. Maybe I'm just being naive here, but still...

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You go to any decent country anywhere in the world and you do not have people fronting up to the police demanding they prove themselves before they will do as they are told. That is ridiculous, you do as you're told of you get arrested, simple, the police are there to fight crime, not change diapers. The problem in the DR is simply that the People do not get respect, they demand authority through fear and aggression, they don't know how to respect each other in all aspects.
but to say a police officer has to prove himself before he can exercise his authority is this new age namby pamby attitude that got so many places into the state it is in right now.
You can not use the DR as an example as it is entirely dysfunctional and unique.
JMB773 respect the man or woman behind that uniform if they respect JMB773, if they disrespect me I will in return disrespect them no matter what time zone I am in.

If you want to raise your kids to respect a UNIFORM go right ahead, but my children will understand the uniform is a piece of clothe nothing more.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So if a traffic cop takes the keys from your child's vehicle you install their right to snatch them back, kick off? lol, yeh right, that isn't going to give them problems in life.

And in DR, if you don't speak respectfully and show respect, you are just going to end up bringing yourself serious problems.

Feb 7, 2007
Most humans don't need laws or authority to coerce them into beneficial behaviors or to dissuade them from harmful ones. I take the view that we're basically decent and cooperative. Those people that don't need to be policed are protected by people that authority has been given to artificially from the malignant dysfunctional individuals amongst us.

I agree 100%. Been discussed here How We Decide: Jonah Lehrer: 9780618620111: Amazon.com: Books

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
One thing about the DR is that yelling only makes everything louder. LOL. That cop had the look of a bully. Im sure he slapped some shoeshine kids silly after that episode.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I agree. Previous events must have triggered that guy's reaction. That's not saying it was an excuse, but it could explain the sudden explotion. He keeps yelling "Tu me tienes jarto (I'm sick of you)", so probably something was up before the video started to roll, and probably that something was what prompted the video to be recorded in the first place. I think the AMET had no right to take his keys without asking for them first. But then again, we don't know if he did. I think no matter what, authority must be respected at all costs. There must be better ways to demand justice if justice is not being served. Maybe I'm just being naive here, but still...

I don't think it is being naive, I think that it is just another sign of how dysfunctional law and order is. A man of the law should not be running away from a motoconcho, never. That is insane. In the UK that guy would have been sucking tar quicker than a blink of an eye.
bad training yet again, they themselves dot know what they should be doing.

And JB is right, he looked like a bully, and you know his wife or a street kid took a beating for it, just to bring his face back.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
JMB773 respect the man or woman behind that uniform if they respect JMB773, if they disrespect me I will in return disrespect them no matter what time zone I am in.

If you want to raise your kids to respect a UNIFORM go right ahead, but my children will understand the uniform is a piece of clothe nothing more....

Keep thinking like that,

And you are goin DOWN, guaranteed,

Face first on the ground, JAIL, a possible bullet.....

Ya, ok, it's worth it, because you wuz dissrespected?

Get the f-ck atta here!!!!!!!!!!

And your tellin your kids this GANGSTA SH-T??

That's F-CKED up!!!!!!!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Or he has dirt on him. If you read tone and body language, the motoconcho acted in exasperation and frustration, his sense of being wronged is sincere, while the cocky "papi chulo" with the puffed up chest and pretty shades reacted like a man devoid of moral authority.

I respect the police in my area because they protect and serve. They act with professionalism. Respect is earned, not demanded.

You read a lot more in to THAT than I.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
JMB I hear what your saying. You never win going tit for tat with a cop. With cellphone cameras your best bet is to be polite and record. In NY, Miami, Philly. Chicago some old time coppers still think its ok to smash your head or arrest you for some BS if they dont like the way that you look.
The thing is that this cop backed down when the Concho put his hands on him. The other cops did not back him up. As previously stated that guy should have been proned out and cuffed.
Hallmark of an unprofessional unit with no cohesion or the other cops were sick of his cowboy bs and didnt give a hoot if that guy cleaned his clock.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It's a shame that this video wasn't longer................
Curious to know what transpired after the first 34 seconds..........

B in Santiago

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

no comment on right vs. wrong. respect earned vs. demanded. I saw exactly the same thing.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is worth pointing out for those who are saying I respect the person not the uniform. Had this been PN or Narcs, this dude would have done exactly what he was told, or been sat on the back of a pickup.

As far as the respect earned vs demanded argument, in a land where people often don't understand what respect is, it has to be demanded, simple.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
What a total lack of respect for authority. He is lucky he didn't earn a trip to the hospital before going to jail. The hypocrisy of some here who rail incessantly about how bad the driving is in DR but cheer an assault on those who at least try to control the streets.

This would not happen in NY. We all know that. These traffic officers in the states would cal the cops so fast. It is actually a felony to strike any city worker. All well. This is DR after all. I say the AMET officers were p**sies!!!! lol

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It's a shame that this video wasn't longer................
Curious to know what transpired after the first 34 seconds..........

B in Santiago

It is a pretty common occurrance with these guys, they tend to end in the arrival of PN and things going quiet, or it fizzles out once the chump makes off.

Dec 26, 2011
As far as the respect earned vs demanded argument, in a land where people often don't understand what respect is, it has to be demanded, simple.

That's very patronizing. We've all seen and have personal opinions on the dysfunctions inherent in Dominican culture but I think people are people. When those in positions of authority consistently show respect to those that they serve and protect, that respect is returned by most. But when they act arrogantly(look at the officer) they'll be met with resistance and rebelliousness.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You are right it does sound patronizing, I've often said that I find myself patronizing people in DR by trying to have the most basic of conversations about the most logical concepts. It is uncomfortable when I am trying to hold a conversation with someone yet feel I am educating them on the simplest of things, like respec isn't a word invented by 'hip hop, gangster rap thugs', 'yo ni--er' isn't a universal greating used by everyone from outside of DR. All these things we have listed in the 'comedy corner' or clown bin which is all in good fun, good hearted gest, but 99% is something that we all notice, all find amuzing, and mainly very very true in the main. And so yes, sometimes I find myself patronizing when I'd prefer not to be, but am I supposed to reduce my level of common sense so I can communicate and go about my live on an equal understanding?
no offense, but that can be how it is, to not experience it you have to really try to avoid it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That's very patronizing. We've all seen and have personal opinions on the dysfunctions inherent in Dominican culture but I think people are people. When those in positions of authority consistently show respect to those that they serve and protect, that respect is returned by most.

I absolutely agree, but it doesn't work either way in DR, hence the situation. IMO

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
But when they act arrogantly(look at the officer) they'll be met with resistance and rebelliousness.

When the government violates the rights of the people, insurrection is for the people and for each portion of the people the most sacred of rights and the most indispensable of duties. [h=2]Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen (1793)[/h]