Votes: 38 8.2%
  • San Juan de la Maguana

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Barahona

Votes: 14 3.0%

• Total voters

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Santiago, is my favorite city in DR; I was born in Santo Domingo but my honey is from Santiago la ciudad corazon.

Cotui...

Small, but not too smal, beautiful country side, South: mountains with a lot of free fruits. East: Rio Yuna, beautiful fresh and clear water, Rice everwhere.
West more mountains, the Presa de Hatillo, just 10 minutes away, you can bring your boat , North: more Rice!!

in Between Sto Dgo and Santiago.

you can ask for more!!

oohhh!!!... and there is no Crimes like Santiago and Santo Domingo.

That's why I bought my house there

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Samana. The malecon is a blast at night, the topography is green and palm infested, and the area is still fairly rural. Rio San Juan, second, just for the waves at Playa Grande. And Santiago, a big city with a small feel and a good live music scene...

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
I absolutely adore San Pedro De Macoris. It has the unpretentious tiny city comfortable appeal to me, and I love malecon on the weekends after an Estrellas baseball game.

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Best city ever, i would have to say Puerto Plata... rent is cheap there, and the grocery stores Jose Luis is great...... And second best is Definatly RIO SAN JUAN for scenery, and beachs, and forest, and very safe to live or visit.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Montecristi

Lots of drinking and partying and to top it off the beach.
Many of them private.;)

UP_time

Aug 16, 2003
wooo.......... you mean there as more than 2 of us Americans here in Cotui ?

I have lived here for 4 years..its a nice community and the people are very friendly ...now we wait for maybe a movie theatre...Chinese food and a Pollo Victorina!
Codetel DSL is available and finally arrived to my location at a blazing 384k !
Cotui is not for everyone, but its a great place to come to and relax !

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
wooo.......... you mean there as more than 2 of us Americans here in Cotui ?

I have lived here for 4 years..its a nice community and the people are very friendly ...now we wait for maybe a movie theatre...Chinese food and a Pollo Victorina!
Codetel DSL is available and finally arrived to my location at a blazing 384k !
Cotui is not for everyone, but its a great place to come to and relax !

Hey, I told NALS he needs to revise his poll to include Cotui.

BTW did you know Cotui used to have two very nice movie theatres, but they both went under (Bad management I guess)

Hmmm...Pollo Victorina franchise...You just gave me an idea.

Here's a brand spanking new Facebook group I just started for us Cotuisanos or anyone interested in La Provincia Sanchez Ramirez..

Login | Facebook

I just started it last night, so right now is just me, but I'm sending e-mails in the hope people start joining.

Hey maybe we can have a mini get-together sometimes (all of us who have posted voting for Cotui).

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Wow! No one has written about Higuey yet. And it must be because Higuey is like sex: 50% of it is 95% mental.

Is it true that Cotu?-Cotu? es donde canta la guinea?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hey, I told NALS he needs to revise his poll to include Cotui.

BTW did you know Cotui used to have two very nice movie theatres, but they both went under (Bad management I guess)

Hmmm...Pollo Victorina franchise...You just gave me an idea.

Here's a brand spanking new Facebook group I just started for us Cotuisanos or anyone interested in La Provincia Sanchez Ramirez..

Login | Facebook

I just started it last night, so right now is just me, but I'm sending e-mails in the hope people start joining.

Hey maybe we can have a mini get-together sometimes (all of us who have posted voting for Cotui).

The movie theatres didn't do well because the distribution company in DR found it too problematic to deliver and pick up the reels to that location most of the time. Only so many copies of a film are distributed by the film HQ distributor in the island, so they were not a priority to say the least.

Most of the time the new blockbusters were easier to catch in the next big city than dusting the "Zapatos de Charol" every Sunday waiting for them to come to Cotui... LOL!!!

As it happened they also got the reels with the films that could barely roll from reel to reel without having to split the bad cells and gluing them together every 30 minutes into the movie... LOL!!!!

"Oyeeeeeeee! Mi cuartos ladrones!!!" LOL!!!

My dad owned a reel to reel he got from a Miami's drive in theatre for cheap. His compadre was friends with the main distributor in the country and needless to say we watched all the blockbusters at home with friends and family, but somehow the pop corn never tastes quite the same as it does in the movie theaters. Perhaps we should have let it sit for some 24 or so hours before eating it... LOL!!!!

We called it "Dad's movie theater". On the downside you couldn't talk unless you really wanted a "cocotazo" but you never had to miss anything when you need it to go to the bathroom!

One thing I learned from having a film reel to reel at home is that every time you project a movie it becomes damaged from the heat of the lamp, turning the film kind of yellowish until it became amber like and that part was sure to burn up as it passed again on re-projection.

I became very adapt to splitting and gluing the film like new, so much that my father's compadre had the owner of the distributor firm, bring me film that was going to LA and needed to be fixed very good and effectively.

And I got paid!!!! Well... Not really... I got a special stub to attend any movie theater in the DR for free, but what good does it do when you still have to pay for the "girlfriend" too? I mean, if you're familiar on how well to do families treat their kids (as in you're into your late teens without a buck in your pocket unless you earned it yourself) you have to understand we got it rough most of the time we wanted to party or hang out...

Sh*t! I paid for my first bike from my uncle's Cessna to which I gave the car wash treatment with detailing to the max. It was a "Chopper" the best of the time and cool looking too, well that's until BMX made the rounds...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
To Suarezn: I tried to include at least two major cities from each region.

Cotu? is not a major city on a national or regional scale.

-NALs

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
Why is it that there are no museums/cultural atractions in the cities of RD (except Santiago and Santo Domingo). All of our major cities were founded during the 1400's and 1500's, is it that we don't have an important past?

I wish these cities could become more culturaly rich, like the cities in Cuba.

Dominican cities and their foundings

Santo Domingo de Guzman (founded 4 August, 1494)

Santiago de los 30 Caballeros (founded in 1495 by Bartolome Colon, brother of Cristobal Colon)
Benem?rita de San Crist?bal (founded in 1495)
Concepcion de la Vega (founded in 1495 by Cristobal Colon)
Bonao (Founded in 1496 by Crist?bal Colon)
San Felipe de Puerto Plata (founded in 1496 by Bartolom? Colon or Nicol?s de Ovando)
La Romana (founded in 1496 by Bartolom? Colon)
Santa Cruz del Seybo (Founded in 1502 by Juan Esquivel)
Salvale?n de Hig?ey (founded in 1503)
San Juan de la Maguana (Founded in 1503 by Nicol?s de Ovando)
Azua de Compostela (Founded in 1504 by Diego Vel?squez, conquistador for Cuba)
San Fernando de Montecristi (founded 1506)
Cotu? (Rodrigo De Trujillo for order of Nicolas de Ovando, in the year 1510)
Hato Mayor del Rey (Founded in 1520 by Francisco D?vila)
Comendador (founded in 1600 by Comendador de Lares)
Monte Plata (founded in 1605)
Ban? (Founded in 1664)
Moca (founded in 1700)
Santa B?rbara de Saman? (founded in 1756)
Dajab?n (founded on July 4, 1776 : same day as US independence)
San Pedro de Macor?s (founded in 1822)
San Francisco de Macor?s (founded in 1777)
Nagua (founded in ???
Mao, (June 2nd, 1851)

Nice job with this list.

M

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I am a Capitale?o by all means (born and raised) yet Id love to get a place in Santiago, I really love it when i go over there, there is something a cleanness that is lacking in Santo Domingo I really dont know how to describe it. I just want to go to Santiago every weekend to hang there.

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
I am a Capitale?o by all means (born and raised) yet Id love to get a place in Santiago, I really love it when i go over there, there is something a cleanness that is lacking in Santo Domingo I really dont know how to describe it. I just want to go to Santiago every weekend to hang there.

I know what you mean. On my first trips to DR I was strictly a man of
the Capital. However during my last few trips I haven't even had a
desire to visit Santo Domingo. I love Santiago.

JD