The Dilemma of the Newbies

Should newbies have 50 rep points prior to being able to open a new thread?

• Total voters

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am absolutely opposed to this and think it is completely contrary to the spirit of this board.

Besides, since dr1 is not a representative democracy, the results of this poll are meaningless in any case. Robert has already said that this restriction will never see the light of day.

Actually, some of the better questions are asked by newbies. If we are going to try to prevent "dumb" posts, then lets appoint assistants to the mods who can help them with the workload of policing the threads and reprimanding posters, both new and old, who waste band and our patience with with their dumb and/or ill advised posts.

Starting with this poll. Since Robert has already said there will be no restriction on posts by newbies, why do we even have a poll?

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
how about a banner on the message board explaining the rules of posting

the newbie could easily read it and would know how to act accordingly

they can be told they need to get 50 points b4 they can open a thread
this will get them to paricipate more and learn better
the easier they can see the better they understand what to do

not ev1 is computer savy...everything about computers confuses them
(i get like that everytime i turn it on :) )

of course this is a suggestion
like everyone else, we like to keep our room decorated the way we want
same with the board...it's really thier choice in the end

another suggestion would be a sticky e-mail being sent to the e-mail at every new sign up explaining the basics of the board

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Starting with this poll. Since Robert has already said there will be no restriction on posts by newbies, why do we even have a poll?

NALS needs to justify his existance, you already knew this Ken!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Don't worry folks nothing will be changed boss already said so!

We welcome newbie questions ;)

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
Ummmm ... is it politically incorrect to admit that I scan the titles of threads and skip those that don't interest me? I don't understand why people feel a need to restrict; wouldn't some basic self-editing serve everyone's needs? Do you feel a moral obligation to read and respond to every thread, MerengueDutchie?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Ummmm ... is it politically incorrect to admit that I scan the titles of threads and skip those that don't interest me? I don't understand why people feel a need to restrict; wouldn't some basic self-editing serve everyone's needs? Do you feel a moral obligation to read and respond to every thread, MerengueDutchie?

Of course this is taking the highroad and I do applaud you for it.

However, I do get exasperated sometimes when people post derigatory threads on my beloved DR, without research, without factual knowledge, etc..

Apart from me ignoring them because I'm supposed to know better, it is in the public domain so others who are not as well informed will read it and might get a bad impression that isn't warranted.

Reactions: woofsback

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
restricting newcomers would only imply more powers to a number of posters who already consider the board as theirs...

so please let us have some fresh blood...

it does not happen a lot, but for once I concur with Robert 100%...:bunny:

Reactions: jrhartley

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am absolutely opposed to this and think it is completely contrary to the spirit of this board.

Besides, since dr1 is not a representative democracy, the results of this poll are meaningless in any case. Robert has already said that this restriction will never see the light of day.

Actually, some of the better questions are asked by newbies. If we are going to try to prevent "dumb" posts, then lets appoint assistants to the mods who can help them with the workload of policing the threads and reprimanding posters, both new and old, who waste band and our patience with with their dumb and/or ill advised posts.

For the same reason you decided to give your opinion and voted after knowing what Robert said.

dulce said:
Polls are usually for entertainment only.
:bunny:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For the same reason you decided to give your opinion and voted after knowing what Robert said.

Not the same thing at all. I had given my opinion before Robert was heard from and restated my opinion only because you had initiated the poll and I wanted the new members to know I thought the poll was ill advised.

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
Of course this is taking the highroad and I do applaud you for it.

Oh, God, please don't imply that I'm taking the high road, MD ... if everyone took the high road, I would be far too bored to bother reading the forums! It's my nightmare that only wise and balanced people would be allowed to post here! My suggestion is entirely cynical and self-serving ... if it's boring, annoying, or just too stupid, just skip on down the list ...

(OMG, now I'm giving away secrets ... about why I never respond to some people's comments ...) :cheeky:

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Well as a 'newbie' (oh dear) it already seems like you have to 'be friends' and placate the right people just to keep your posts open and/or not get harangued by the sabetodo experts. I realize that some topics are controversial, but those also seem to me at least to be the ones people SHOULD be talking about. True, maybe someone does just want to know 'where to get a good drink in Sosua' (...) and this board provides a certain level of practicality for getting help in that context, but when a REAL issue is being discussed it is generally discouraged.

Just from the short time I have been a member of this forum I have noticed that 'newbies' are usually DISCOURAGED more than encouraged to ask simple questions.
Ok, let me say this - I am WELL AWARE of how to use the 'search' function, and believe it or not MANY 'newbies' do too, the 'search engine' process is not unique to DR1. So when a 'newbie' asks a question that has already been answered, it is not always that they are just oblivious about the process finding information, perhaps they just want some NEW, UP TO DATE INFORMATION!! Perhaps they want the viewpoint of ANOTHER person, or other people instead of the usual 4-6 people who dominate (intentionally or unintentionally) every other post. Personally, if I ask a question that has already been raised, I'm not trying to perform a resurrection, I just want to know how people feel about it NOW, not 4 months ago. Opinions changes, information changes, viewpoints change etc. If it thats painful to answer, guess what? You dont have to. I don't understand how one question can turn into a board meeting about its relevance. The same time a person takes writing a 'eulogy' for the dearly departed question or thought since its been closed by a moderator, is the same time you can answer the question and be done with it. I can see if its something like 'Where is Punta Cana located?', and even then there is a RESPECTFUL way to answer such a question, that is still helpful.
Instead of just jumping on the persons post with all this 'tag team, your not part of the club, you big dumb stupid gringo who knows nothing about nothing, sarcastic nonsense', you can just not even bother. I mean really, if you wanna make your OWN post about how much you hate newbies and there newbie questions, go right ahead. I mean if I think a post is stupid, I'm not going to spend my time convincing myself how stupid it is by commenting about how stupid it is to other people....thats stupid. Just leave it alone. If its that offensive or controversial I'm sure a sleuth nosed moderator will close it down.
But have the common decency and reasonableness to realize that not everybody knows about the Dominican Republic THAT is WHY they ask questions. You can either answer help, or shut up and mind your business, but its not really that serious to get all bent out of shape about anything on a forum board. After all isn't that the objective?? Allowing people to SHARE thoughts, ideas etc...?? Some people treat it like its some kinda of intellectual boot camp, say the wrong thing and its 50 pushups.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Stupid idea, the best way to make repetitive questioning a thing of the past is to design a search function that people can use, this site has the worst function I've come across. Maybe youneed to know insider tricks or exactly how to get it working for you but it is far from obvious. I always have a few goes and then end up giving up and starting a thread on something I know was covered before. If you can make a site like this it is a shame to not have it more user friendly.
But at the end of the day forums work over 50% of repeat threads, if we all only used search and never made repeat threads the forums would see zero traffic, the communities and friendships that have been made because of the jibberish wouldn't exist, there would be little community within DR1.
So what is best for the site and it's popularity is keep the repeat threads coming, keep the BS and banter, keep newbies asking daft questions, just make a decent search function. IMO

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The search function is used by 100,000's of forums, it's part of vBulletin.

Could it be better? Of course, it can always be better.
But... It's not going to change anytime soon.

We have 800,000+ posts, so it's best to be more precise with your searches. Use more keywords, make them more exact.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Bernard has made a very valid point. Many topics on past posts are currently outdated. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a question again even if it was asked and answered even a month ago. Things change.

How about this following example? How many of the posts on the legal section are completely wrong now since the NEW CONSTITUTION of January 2010??? I'm looking at posts from even a month ago where advice is being given based on the OLD CONSTITUTION! A couple of weeks ago I asked Mr. Guzman how the new constitution now applies to foreign men seeking the nationality of their dominican spouse since that part was ratified... still waiting for a response... yet other posters keep telling people wrong info based on outdated laws.

I still don't think newbies should be allowed to start a thread without gaining some rep points first... nor should moderators be so quick to close threads either. Plenty of posts that were started years ago that still have people talking about newer info today. Newbies have plenty of options to post on... they could find a relavent thread and make a new inquiry for up-to-date info.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
It is clear how the run of the board lies and I respect that.

However, I would like to make one closing argument, if I may.

Keeping older posts open to be ressurected if up-to-date info is needed available makes sure that the info is concentrated in a few threads, rather than in a lot of threads.

Newbies can and should imo post, otherwise they won't feel welcome to the board. I was never against this. However by making people post in existing threads, we again keep the information more concentrated than in a multitude of threads.

So to me, restricting the number of threads simplifies the structure of the site and adds to the ease of use by concentration of information.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm sure a lot of newbies do use the search option, but a large number of new threads are started on topics that were answered in the very recent past.

These are the ones that come to mind - buses to Bavaro, cheap hotels (non AI) in Punta Cana, buses from Santo Domingo to Samana - all you have to do to find a recent reply is put those terms into search and you have the answer.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
We're talking about reducing junk threads by continuing to discuss something that Robert has already said will not change.
I have also commented on this thread but it is pointless, to be honest I don't see what difference any of this makes to anyone on here, the running of the site is not your headache so makes this thread even more pointless.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Not letting 'newbies' ask questions or comment on things because they don't have enough 'points' really makes for an unwelcoming environment. I thought part of the reason this site exists is to help people who have questions. You're going to end up with a lot of inbred thinking if you start restricting people based on the point system.:ermm:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have a lot of trouble with the search function here on DR1. Often it will just show a screen which gives me the titles of the newest searches... Many times it will not take a two word search...

So I think that what would really be useful for newbies... and prehaps cut down on threads is for some of the folks who can use the search function just do that and post it as the first response to a newbie..

I remember that I read DR1 for about 6 months before posting anything.. and I am sure that many newbies do the same... So I would not restrict their posts...

but I do think that the search function needs improvement

Reactions: woofsback