The Dilemma of the Newbies

Should newbies have 50 rep points prior to being able to open a new thread?

• Total voters

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I know !!! Or maybe not ???

MerengueDutchie
Quote:
"I propose that new members are not allowed to start a new discussion until they have posted a few replies and have earned a few reputation points".

Yes,
The same should apply to NEW WIFES, and they should not ask too many questions !

We should start a new thread just for the proven smart people 3000 posts or more, so they could communicate intelligently with one another.
But how could the new posters acquire the wisdom of the elders in regard to the DR ???????
This is indeed a conundrum. :confused:

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Restricting newbies is a horrible idea and is counter to the democratic ethos of the world wide web (www) and the ethos of the DR itself. What is this, communist China with its restrictions on Google searches and the like? You can get away with almost anything in the DR but you can't join dr1.com without obtaining your driver's permit first? The DR is the wild west of the Caribbean and dr1.com is its English forum. Why burden dr1 with some stupid first world rules and regulations.

DO LIKE THE LOCALS! Pop a Presidente, drive drunk, kick back, chat with some locals, put off till tomorrow what could be done today and laugh at the newbies' idiocy.

I have read some seriously idiotic things from some people on this website who claim to be "experts" about the DR. And I have read some brilliant things from some people whom some “experts” on this site would call "newbies." Of course the inverse is also true. What I am basically saying is that the intelligence or value of a poster's post has little to do with how long they have been frequenting this website and has more to do with the brain their parents gave them, how hard they tried when they were in school, what their experiences are and how many hours they have put in on the local bar stool.

This proposal is a horrible idea.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In my opinion newbies should be allowed to start new threads quite often they can be very entertaining and we all need a good laugh once in a while don't we?;)

How rude is that comment? Newbies ask questions because they are newbies.... i.e. don't know all the answers that the experienced and other experts pertain to know....if you need a good laugh Frank why pick on newbies?

Nov 10, 2010
This board has a lot of influx of new members who start threads on subjects already discussed in extenso. They usually revolve around:

1. Drugs
2. Sextourism
3. Religion
4. Racism

Answers to most of these questions can usually be found when using the search function.

I propose that new members are not allowed to start a new discussion until they have posted a few replies and have earned a few reputation points.

Nals, could you please put up a post with the following choices:

1. I agree, new members must accumulate at least 50 rep points to be able to start new threads

2. I don't agree, new members bring in new points of view and their views are as valuable as anyone else's.

Thank you,

MD

firstly you can mind your own business. just because YOU post here doesnt mean "I" have to adhere to YOUR rules.
This board belongs to someone else with THEIR rules being put in place. i mean how dare you. Reputation points, i dont care what you think of me... and thus if you feel i have no reputation then you can go @#$% yourself... frankly. i thank Robert for this board, it has helped me immensely.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"FREAK", You Can Stop Kissing Robert's A$$, It Doesn't Help!

You want some "POINTS"????
Get rid of your "name", I mean REALLY!!!

I love the NEWBEES !!!!!!!

Talk about,"Grist-for-the-mill"!!!!

Some people on DR1 love being a "NEWBEE" sooooooooooooooooooo much, they post under several different "names"!
Can you spell "SOCKPUPPETS"?

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
*please don't jump on me for bumping this!*

I was on a forum once, where you would need at least 10 posts (replies) in order to start new threads. This avoided spammers but also many one-time posters that where simply too lazy to search for the answer. I think it's a good idea to implement something like that. (and I'm a newbie!!)

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
careful...we gonna lose 1/2 the so called expert base who thrive on shredding newbies and their virgin questions and exploits...

We were all newbies once and even a brand new person to this board could hold very relevant info that most of us wouldnt know if we hindered their ability to post and start new threads. Some of you guys have gotten bitter over the years and just love to jump down every newbies throat, Lighten up people it aint all that serious.

jonej

Banned
Dec 23, 2012
We were all newbies once and even a brand new person to this board could hold very relevant info that most of us wouldnt know if we hindered their ability to post and start new threads. Some of you guys have gotten bitter over the years and just love to jump down every newbies throat, Lighten up people it aint all that serious.

as allways, polite and keeping it real. a class act unlike the "bitters" he mentions. man of 2011/12

jonej

Banned
Dec 23, 2012
How rude is that comment? Newbies ask questions because they are newbies.... i.e. don't know all the answers that the experienced and other experts pertain to know....if you need a good laugh Frank why pick on newbies?
hemmmmmmmmmmm.

jonej

Banned
Dec 23, 2012
yup........

jonej

Banned
Dec 23, 2012
look at the 3 posts above. so its not just me. an all time low of rude trashy mouthed people abusing their fellow men...
as i said ,,these nasty folks scare people away and lower the tone.