The Dilemma of the Newbies

Should newbies have 50 rep points prior to being able to open a new thread?

• Total voters

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I did a search with your username and only the word Ferreteria and came up with only three results.

DR1 Dominican Republic Forums - Search Results

The default will always be 500 posts or threads if you're not more specific.

If I go into your profile and click on "show all threads started but Mountannie" I get a total of 148 DR1 Dominican Republic Forums - Search Results
threads and Ferreteria is on page 4 second from bottom but I had to scroll four pages to find it. The word Ferrerria isn't commonly used so using your name and that word and "show results as posts" was lot easier.;)

Reactions: Tamborista

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I aksed for this poll and the lie of the board is as it is. That is perfectly acceptable and was never in question.

However, to be honest, some of the reactions in this thread leave a bad taste in my mouth.

When someone has a different opinion then you there is no need to attribute various derogatory personal attributes to them.

What is especially galling that the same posters that do this have no qualms about asking for your help backchannel.

I'm seriously considering taking my leave from the board and don't whether I'll return

I'm sorry you feel that way and yes you have helped in the past when I asked you to share info on how a couple of Dominicans got a visitor visa for Europe and I thank you for that. I was being silly with my comment above and I apologize if you took it as being derogatory.

Maybe you are not 100% clear on how rep points are earned. A new member starts with only 10 points so if they know nothing about the DR they have nothing to contribute so how will they earn an additional 40 points and how long must they wait before they can start a new thread? Points are not earned by reading the board. Some people have been here for years and only have a few hundreds points even though in some cases they have been very helpful to others. Points are given by other members if they like what someone wrote whether it was helpful or just funny.

Chiri brought up a very good point that if the newbies can't start a new thread then he/she will just ask in some unrelated thread which often makes more work for a mod to move it and all that have answered to a new thread and that's ok but if a mod went out for a few hours and the thread was important and popular that mod will now have to read through 30 posts or so posts to find the start and finish of what that one off topic post. So now we have a new thread anyway if the mod felt it's an important question.

Maybe I'm missing something so could you explain to me how you see a newbie earning that 40 points before being allowed to start a new thread?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I'm sorry you feel that way and yes you have helped in the past when I asked you to share info on how a couple of Dominicans got a visitor visa for Europe and I thank you for that. I was being silly with my comment above and I apologize if you took it as being derogatory.

Maybe you are not 100% clear on how rep points are earned. A new member starts with only 10 points so if they know nothing about the DR they have nothing to contribute so how will they earn an additional 40 points and how long must they wait before they can start a new thread? Points are not earned by reading the board. Some people have been here for years and only have a few hundreds points even though in some cases they have been very helpful to others. Points are given by other members if they like what someone wrote whether it was helpful or just funny.

Chiri brought up a very good point that if the newbies can't start a new thread then he/she will just ask in some unrelated thread which often makes more work for a mod to move it and all that have answered to a new thread and that's ok but if a mod went out for a few hours and the thread was important and popular that mod will now have to read through 30 posts or so posts to find the start and finish of what that one off topic post. So now we have a new thread anyway if the mod felt it's an important question.

Maybe I'm missing something so could you explain to me how you see a newbie earning that 40 points before being allowed to start a new thread?

Fair enough, and apology accepted.

1. I started this poll because I am a bit tired after 7 years of seeing the same questions in new threads, thusly spreading out the number of threads and the information. As an example I remember we kept up a long running thread re the exchange rate, that showed the exchange rate through the years.

2. To me it was never about restricting a new member's posting abilities, they can still post in running threads and ask their questions there. It was however about restricting the number of threads about where to go in sosua for a group of young men looking for action.

3. Members to my knowledge earn points for their posts, not for the number of threads they started. So, in line with point 2, I didn't see it as too restricting.

4. Re the point that was brought up by Chiri, I can understand it and it counterbalances point 1 somewhat, I believe.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fair enough, and apology accepted.

1. I started this poll because I am a bit tired after 7 years of seeing the same questions in new threads, thusly spreading out the number of threads and the information. As an example I remember we kept up a long running thread re the exchange rate, that showed the exchange rate through the years.

MerengueDutchie, I didn't think your idea was good for dr1, but I understand your reaon. I've been there myself. I had about 7,500 posts to my credit when I decided to take a leave of absence from dr1. I was weary of answering the same questions and reading the same sanky-related posts.

After a couple of years I started missing dr1 so came back, my interest restored. The time away was good for me and if you take a leave, as you indicated you might, I think you will find the same. This time, however, I don't feel the need to read every post or answer repetitive questions. There are now others who are fairly new to the board who are doing this, and I am happy to let them.

Ono

Aug 3, 2010
This thread befits this country, where things just don't make sense.
As a newbie, I appreciate the help I've gotten here.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
MerengueDutchie, I didn't think your idea was good for dr1, but I understand your reaon. I've been there myself. I had about 7,500 posts to my credit when I decided to take a leave of absence from dr1. I was weary of answering the same questions and reading the same sanky-related posts.

After a couple of years I started missing dr1 so came back, my interest restored. The time away was good for me and if you take a leave, as you indicated you might, I think you will find the same. This time, however, I don't feel the need to read every post or answer repetitive questions. There are now others who are fairly new to the board who are doing this, and I am happy to let them.

Ken,

Thanks for posting, I thought about what you posted and you're probably right. I've also realised that through the years I've gotten to know the DR more and more and the difference between the tourist world and the non-tourist DR world has become more and more obvious to me.

I guess this is just something that comes with crossing over a threshold into a new stage.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ken,

Thanks for posting, I thought about what you posted and you're probably right. I've also realised that through the years I've gotten to know the DR more and more and the difference between the tourist world and the non-tourist DR world has become more and more obvious to me.

I guess this is just something that comes with crossing over a threshold into a new stage.
Very true, Michel.

Keep in mind that many who come to the DR even to live f/t came with the intent of being a life-long tourist.They never had an intention of really integrating into the culture and society.

But then again the same can be said of folks that come to any other country...

Once again it's The Blind Men and the Elephant.

I have less problem with newbies than clueless "veterans". At least the newbies want to learn something...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Repetition

When I first found DR1.... I forget when ....

-I had rec'd my residency and cedula in hand
-was in the final stages of finishing the construction of the house
-had my car and household effects on the seas in a 40ft container

The questions were the same then as they are now..... how/ where do you get a cedula?.....can you import a car - how much?....... where is the best place to live?

Lambada asked me to report back after my container had been imported to relate the car costs, etc.......I did so in Jan/Feb 2009

DR1 always has been and always will be repetitive in that way...... because people need the same information all the time.

One of us - better, one of you - should write a primer for residency applications ...... there are a couple of superb examples in "Renewing in Santiago" - telling applicants the address, the best time and where to go "the 3rd window on the right"...blah, blah, blah.
This may not work for newcomers but if you read the thread, you'll see a couple of "oldtimers" following the advice - Sir Robert himself gave it a go...Successfully, if I'm not mistaken:surprised

Since my time in 2008-2009, I notice that it is now a different, newer group who respond to these repeat questions and come to the aid of the newcomers..... that is good !
Self generating information replacement

DR1......... it is what it is........... still a valuable resource for those first timers, whether they be travelers or immigrants.
Sit back and enjoy the show.... chime in if you have something to contribute - or if you're just bored and need something to do-

if all you have is a complaint, please take that to your church. Priests have patience for that sort of thing:tired:

WW

Reactions: AlterEgo

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
almost everyday there's a first time poster giving a link to buy something...spam

if they had to earn 50 points b4 being allowed to start a new thread this would not happen

unfortunately i agree with both sides as they have value points for each

when a new member signs up they should be given an e-mail explaining what is required and why...maybe give them 25pts for thier first 2 posts..that way they will be able to start a thread right away and it would kill the spammers

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I can?t see the problem here. I?ve been reading DR1 since the previous forum started -98 or -99, if I don’t find the headline interesting I simply just skip it. It takes me five min to scan the headlines and I have the rest of the day to do something else.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hello Zuni and welcome to DR1. It's one of those things that is very easy when you know how... you obviously have mastered posting on an existing thread so should be simple for you.

Go the the main Forums page - select the Forum which is most appropriate for your question and, when you arrive in that forum, you will see a dark blue button near the top on the left which says '+Post New Thread' which you need to click. Give your thread a title and then type your post and click on 'Submit New Thread' at the bottom of the page.

Good posting.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi I'm trying to figure out how to start a thread/post? Thanks

Adding to what whirleybird said, you only need to post once. Everybody reads the posts in all the sections, not just those in particular sections. So when you start a thread, just do it once. We''ll see it no matter where you start it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let me post this here:
My most "pet" peeve is the poster that wants professional advice for free! How to. What are. Where do. How can...

There is one there now that said at first he was going to buy 10 condos and rent them out....and it has gone down hill from there..

Don't they know that these are professional area of management, financial planning, economic, business administration???

Sure, I'll tell you where to go to school, but don't ask me to study for you!!

HB

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Let me post this here:
My most "pet" peeve is the poster that wants professional advice for free! How to. What are. Where do. How can...

There is one there now that said at first he was going to buy 10 condos and rent them out....and it has gone down hill from there..

Don't they know that these are professional area of management, financial planning, economic, business administration???

Sure, I'll tell you where to go to school, but don't ask me to study for you!!

HB
I think many people that don't live here, or not very long yet have the impression that with average 'developed-world' capabilities they will be outstanding here and have great succes in business. It might be true that one can outsmart the average Dominican employee due to education or experience in a company in Europe or USA, but my experience is that the average Dominican business owner is a professional who knows most of the time what he is doing, what he wants and is also most of the time a perfectionist.

That lots of businesses have to deal with inferior service I think is mostly due to the people on the work floor, not the 'empresario'. And with exactly the same workforce (either one's or one's supplier's) one will have to deal as well.

And beside that: Dominican entrepreneurs have a lot of guts, used to chaos and an insecure environment.