The Dilemma of the Newbies

Should newbies have 50 rep points prior to being able to open a new thread?

• Total voters

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have a lot of trouble with the search function here on DR1. Often it will just show a screen which gives me the titles of the newest searches... Many times it will not take a two word search...

So I think that what would really be useful for newbies... and prehaps cut down on threads is for some of the folks who can use the search function just do that and post it as the first response to a newbie..

I remember that I read DR1 for about 6 months before posting anything.. and I am sure that many newbies do the same... So I would not restrict their posts...

but I do think that the search function needs improvement

For example,, I just did a search on the thread for blood donors. I put in my type AB- as the parameter for the search

I know that it is in that thread because I posted it there twice.

What I got was a list of the most recent searches made on DR1

which was not helpful at all

So there is a real problem with the operation of the search function

Under these circumstances, then, it is not helpful to just tell newbies to do a search

it will only lead to balding newbies who have torn their hair out

Reactions: Lucille

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Why would you use AB when we've already said that words with 3 letters or less do not work ;)

Not sure if you can see this but I searched under blood donors ( "show results as posts" and got a list to choose from DR1 Dominican Republic Forums - Search Results then read all titles of the threads the posts were in and found AB

I then searched using your name but only found one post http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/107974-o-o-negative-blood-needed-urgently-pop.html#post909627

Keep in mind I no longer have any special tools, I don't think mods have when it comes to searches so if I can find stuff so can anyone you just have to get creative in the search ;)

May 5, 2007
Many times I will go to a Technical" or forum very specific to something I need, and even if the sign up process is too onerous I move on to another.

The idea of having to qualify to post on a travel and information forum is elitist and ridiculous

Bernard has made a very valid point. Many topics on past posts are currently outdated. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a question again even if it was asked and answered even a month ago. Things change.

How about this following example? How many of the posts on the legal section are completely wrong now since the NEW CONSTITUTION of January 2010??? I'm looking at posts from even a month ago where advice is being given based on the OLD CONSTITUTION! A couple of weeks ago I asked Mr. Guzman how the new constitution now applies to foreign men seeking the nationality of their dominican spouse since that part was ratified... still waiting for a response... yet other posters keep telling people wrong info based on outdated laws.

I still don't think newbies should be allowed to start a thread without gaining some rep points first... nor should moderators be so quick to close threads either. Plenty of posts that were started years ago that still have people talking about newer info today. Newbies have plenty of options to post on... they could find a relavent thread and make a new inquiry for up-to-date info.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Why would you use AB when we've already said that words with 3 letters or less do not work ;)

Not sure if you can see this but I searched under blood donors ( "show results as posts" and got a list to choose from DR1 Dominican Republic Forums - Search Results then read all titles of the threads the posts were in and found AB

I then searched using your name but only found one post http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/107974-o-o-negative-blood-needed-urgently-pop.html#post909627

Keep in mind I no longer have any special tools, I don't think mods have when it comes to searches so if I can find stuff so can anyone you just have to get creative in the search ;)

ok I did not know that about the Search function

here are the results of my last search on AB-

DR1 Dominican Republic Forums - Search Results

can you explain why all the other posts came up?

sorry to harp but I have had real problems with this

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ok I did not know that about the Search function

here are the results of my last search on AB-

DR1 Dominican Republic Forums - Search Results

can you explain why all the other posts came up?

sorry to harp but I have had real problems with this

Looking at the posts that did come up, I have to agree that your question is a very good one.

Thanks for posting the linkl to what did come up so we could better understand the reason why you are mystified.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Looking at the posts that did come up, I have to agree that your question is a very good one.

Thanks for posting the linkl to what did come up so we could better understand the reason why you are mystified.

thanks ken for looking
the link now comes up dead

so if you had not seen it

i would be all alone here in the tunnel with all the mirrors
pulling my hair

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I had been reading the board on and off for a month or so when I first posted. It does take a while to work out how it all works. My first post was just after I had been shot, and I was looking for legal advice and support. I certainly got the latter in spades and from there came the best friendships I have here. So had this rule been in place then, then I would not be a member, and that for me would have been a shame.

In my opinion, asking people to wait until they have 50 reputation points is daft. All of you, think about your first post.

Matilda

Reactions: rice&beans

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
thanks ken for looking
the link now comes up dead

so if you had not seen it

i would be all alone here in the tunnel with all the mirrors
pulling my hair

Curious. Maybe that is how to avoid explaining how it could have happened.

But I can attest when I clicked on the link right after mountainannie posted it opened. What I saw were a whole bunch of posts about blood, blood work, and all types of blood except AB-.

Now we have 2 mysteries: (1) Why by search for AB- did she get a lot of posts about blood, including all blood types but what she was searching for, and (2) Why did the link open for me, but no longer?

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
There are many legitimate people that find this board, join and have an important question to ask or issue to address. I'm against it personally.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
In my opinion, asking people to wait until they have 50 reputation points is daft. All of you, think about your first post.

Matilda

It ain't going to happen ;) but I'm glad we got to vote because it shows that the majority think the same and 8 daft people on the board think otherwise :laugh:

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wow... so we're a little outnumbered... I can take my beating with some dignity.

Several people have made the point that there is no point in griping since Robert already said he's not going to change the search function. But there has to be a way to keep the topics up-to-date and relevant. This is so important because things change in the DR so quickly sometimes. For example, a bus route that was there yesterday may not be there tomorrow. I can't fault the newbies for asking these types of questions over and over... because they're important and relevant and the answers change all the time. :)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Last post for a while

I aksed for this poll and the lie of the board is as it is. That is perfectly acceptable and was never in question.

However, to be honest, some of the reactions in this thread leave a bad taste in my mouth.

When someone has a different opinion then you there is no need to attribute various derogatory personal attributes to them.

What is especially galling that the same posters that do this have no qualms about asking for your help backchannel.

I'm seriously considering taking my leave from the board and don't whether I'll return

I aksed for this poll and the lie of the board is as it is. That is perfectly acceptable and was never in question.

However, to be honest, some of the reactions in this thread leave a bad taste in my mouth.

When someone has a different opinion then you there is no need to attribute various derogatory personal attributes to them.

What is especially galling that the same posters that do this have no qualms about asking for your help backchannel.

I'm seriously considering taking my leave from the board and don't whether I'll return
While your idea was great, it was discriminatory. I have no idea how long you have been on the board MerengueDutchie, but as a new member (not even a year) I learned to take things as they flow. So what if somebody asked a question already answered, or talked about his/her sentimental life? Please do no make this virtual yet real place a Chemin d'Ordalie Some people need to be anonymous to talk, that is the beauty of internet (even if we know we are not as anonymous as we would like to be). This forum is great, do not kill it by imposing more.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
With regards to the fact that a topic can possibly be answered by using the search function and not a new thread, surely that is only true if you are happy with reading posts from what could be just a selection of board members/ out of date info/ unneccessarily biased postings?
Imagine you are a new poster and new to the DR and are looking for helpful and intelligent responses.... surely the more the merrier and then you can make your own judgements based on what you read.
A lot of members (no names mentioned) seem to have a great deal of spare time, in that they seem to post a great deal on a daily basis. No bad thing except that it gives the impression that they are somehow more important than the rest of the members and that is just not so.
Some of us may not have seen earlier threads on the same topic and are only too happy to offer some input without negativity or put downs.
The board could always do with some fresh blood, we are missing some real great characters who used to give some fantastic, non judgmental, info on here. Newbies who are genuine should be welcomed with open arms.
My two pesos worth...... :)
Rio

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
With regards to the fact that a topic can possibly be answered by using the search function and not a new thread, surely that is only true if you are happy with reading posts from what could be just a selection of board members/ out of date info/ unneccessarily biased postings?
Imagine you are a new poster and new to the DR and are looking for helpful and intelligent responses.... surely the more the merrier and then you can make your own judgements based on what you read.
A lot of members (no names mentioned) seem to have a great deal of spare time, in that they seem to post a great deal on a daily basis. No bad thing except that it gives the impression that they are somehow more important than the rest of the members and that is just not so.
Some of us may not have seen earlier threads on the same topic and are only too happy to offer some input without negativity or put downs.
The board could always do with some fresh blood, we are missing some real great characters who used to give some fantastic, non judgmental, info on here. Newbies who are genuine should be welcomed with open arms.
My two pesos worth...... :)
Rio

My sentiments exactly. The board members on here are very knowledgeable, but every person has an opinion and a viewpoint. And each opinion is worth the exact same value - the value that another person puts on it. It would be unfortunate to limit the potential of this board because a persons opinion and viewpoint is valued according to some seniority based point system. I mean can you exchange the points for Food or Beer?? If not then it is really of only shallow value.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Ok.. I do not actually have a lot of time .... well.,, just the 24 hours that others have.. but I am on a Quaker witness for Haiti, so I do post here every day.

Plus, I have made some VIRTUAL friends here and I like to see what they are saying to get to know them better.

Plus I like to help out newbies if I can

And spout off sometimes when I get @#%^$%&#& off about living here

Now, Meregue Dutchie... I do not know you well, but would be very sorry if you left.

What WOULD help would be if some of the folks who can actually WORK the Search function (that would not be me) could do a search on a topic if a newbie is posting and just post the link for them. Perhaps that would appease the eight ....

Remember we do not have Lambada anymore

so we are all going to have to work harder if we wish to keep this a helpful virtual ex pat community!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
see i was looking for the thread on my experience with Ferreteria American to help the poster with the big Orange internet bill... since I thought my experience would help.. but searching on my name only brought up the last 500 posts..