Traveling with cash

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I agree with not putting it in your carry on. My connector flight to the DR is usually a small jet or sometimes a prop plane. The gate agents are notorious for making people gate check anything larger than a purse - and that would be an issue if the cash were in the gate checked carry on.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I always get nervous when I put my wallet and passport on the moving belt and see it disappear into the maw of that machine.
Will it come out t side? Always has so far. I used to get nervous also when I cashed a check for $20,000 at a check cashing store in Miami Beach and walked out the door with that much cash in my pocket. Those hanging around the exterior may have had an idea how much I had, at least the knew i went in to comeout with money and may have attacked me thinking they'd get $1000 or less, but I always tried to look like I wasnt carrying the week's payroll in my pocket.

Derfish, do you respond to every thread just to see your name on DR1? Your response has nothing to do with the OP's question.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
the danger of the money being stolen is here, not in New Jersey airport at security. I used to carry the money in the front pocket of tight jeans... very hard to steal.

Once through security, I would go to the bathroom, and put it in my shoes. Hard to steal as well, as long as you do not take your shoes off in the plane... mwhoehahaha.

I am talking way bigger amounts here...

Depending on your feet, you may have to launder the money here... :)

BelgianK

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
this is what you should do. go to a check cashing place in jersey get 4 prepaid cards divide up the 1100 and keep the rest in your pocket and when you need the over money just hit the atm or western union the money to your self and pick it up when you get there

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i had two airport cops with regular cloths meet me right before i got on the plane to talk about how much money im taking there if i had alot of cash it would of been gone

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
75 $20 bills? - small wad, don't need to declare it, I'd put the cash into an envelope and keep in the carryon. Or keep it in a pocket, either way there wont be any issues...

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Funny, when they say empty your pockets I think they mean of metal, so I leave junk in my pockets, just take out the keys and change. Anytime I have a larger amount of money I just use a fabric money-belt type bag under my clothes. I still put my purse through the machine, but always tuck it into my carry on.

Then I forget that I have an underwire bra on, which sets off the metal detectors anyway. That reminds me of the best place to stash the cash, but guess that won't work for you.

Maybe the new machines detect cash?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If it was like Sunday at the Miami airport, keep it in your carryon bag. Going through TSA we didn't have to take anything out of the bags, not even the computer. But we did have to empty our pockets.

And they didn't mean just metal, La Rubia. Everything, including paper.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The safest place for me has been in my purse in a special compartment. I've never had any problems.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Wear a jacket that has a pocket you can fasten shut. A blazer with a button able inside pocket or a windbreaker with a zipper pocket. Put the money in the pocket when you go through U.S. security and put the jacket in the same bin as your shoes and belt as you go through security. That way it won't show up on the body xray machine and wont raise flags on the carryon bag machine and you can keep an eye on it the whole time. Split the cash between your pockets (and shoes) as you come into the D.R. I've never seen customs take any interest in what's in your pockets but be very aware that we are approaching Christmas stealing season.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Came in last month with like7000 $ in my pocket. Left them in my pocket at security in miami, no issue. Nobody asked anything. As for arriving in dr, I ve never been checked in SDQ, first time arriving in STI, no check exept passport control. Be ureself smile, small talk, say thank u.......
Cant see any dr imigration officer screwing a tourist on arrival ( ure going to spend them in dr right ), diffrent music when u leave though.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I think $10,000 is the limit you can bring in. I always carry cash and important documents in pockets and keep them on me at all times.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I always split the money up. Put it in different places. Wallet, carry-on, handbag...I also split it between 2 wallets in my handbag. The money that I need immediately when I land, for a taxi, etc...I put in a pocket or a compartment in my handbag or carry-on. This way I do not have to go through the bills in front of anyone. I pull out just what I need.

jeff76

Dec 30, 2012
I know it looks stupid but what about wearing a fanny pack. You can put everything you need in there and when you go thru security you unclip it and put it in tray to be ex-rayed. After that you take it out and put it back on. It will always be on you and the fanny pack is big enough to put all your other stuff in such as headphones, iPod, phone, tickets, etc. Like I say it looks stupid but I just hear Joe Rogan talking how he travels with one while listening to one of his podcasts. I thought it was a great idea. Like I say looks stupid but it is functional.

I just put it in my wallet and watch it like a hawk and don't go through the screening till it goes in the X-ray thing and watch on the other side. It does make me a bit nervous but never have had a problem and I have brought a pretty expensive engagement ring that way. Well not in my wallet but in a camera bag and i didn't let that thing out of my sight!!

I just put it in my wallet and watch it like a hawk and don't go through the screening till it goes in the X-ray thing and watch on the other side. It does make me a bit nervous but never have had a problem and I have brought a pretty expensive engagement ring that way. Well not in my wallet but in a camera bag and i didn't let that thing out of my sight!!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
All these wondrous ideas on how to get through customs with a lousy 1500 dollars................
They're laughable...............
Keep it in your pocket and walk through customs.........
It's no fricken big deal..........grow a pair.............

B in Santiago