Traveling with cash

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Ain't it weird that we're more scared of "security" stealing our cash than our fellow travellers??

I've travelled the world for years with cash just in my pocket and there is no restriction unless you go over the local regs.
You can carry a total of 9999$us here without hindrance.
Stick it in your wallet and don't tell too many people.
$1500 is not worth worrying about.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Changed today.
No problem at all.

It's a pretty bill though.

I wish the exchange rate was based on "pretty" our new shinny plastic Canadian money would be worth more. Ours have the queen and former primministers on one side and on the other nice scenery ...even hockey players.....mind you all the art work is politicaly correct. But no it isn't. Even when it is worth more than the greenback we still get screwed on the exchange

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lots of singles which I'll probably forego. My concern is it getting stolen while going through security.

So again, if I carry it through security, will it raise any kind of flags when they tell me to empty my pockets and hold my hands over my head?

I always leave my money in my pocket going through Dominican security and have yet to be asked to empty my pockets. I have a money belt but usually use my passport wallet and attach it to my belt and put it inside my pants. Even 10,000 in hundred dollar bills is not noticeable.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I keep pushing this portable safe. You'd have to unlock it going through security and then have it locked on the plane. $20 at Tractor Supply. The security cable prevents casual theft. I keep one in my car to cut down on ATM stops. If you forget your key going through security, you're screwed.

Stack-On Portable Security Case with Lock - Tractor Supply Co.

Stack-On-Key-Lock-Portable-Security-Case-P13731839.jpg

That's a great idea. Any chance they have one that is biometric or combination in that size?

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
10 and less is legit.....

I have done 9.

If robbery is your concern , anything over 100 can be a target.
If the law is your concern, $10k is the stated limit

If the money is from legit sources there is no limit. Any amounts over $10K USD or its equivalent requires declaration.

$10K is NOT a limit, nor does it make make it illegal, just a requirement trigger point that mandates whether you fill out currency declaration forms or not. A lot of people chance potential seizure/forfeiture of their legit cash because of misinformation that "amounts over $10K are not legit" and fail to declare it

$10K is the world-wide declaration amount for countries that were signatories to anti-money laundering agreements.

Arriving in US ports of entry, or in transit/departure from US to a foreign country the currency declaration/process takes minutes and your on your way.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/778

Concur, it is not safe to arrive with amounts that have to be declared in countries like DR- could be setting yourself for robbery or home invasion due to corrupt "officials". Declare or don't, roll the dice.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Like gas I ALWAYS carry half of my cash in my front pants pocket and my wif carrys her half in her pocketbook. I too hold it in my hand when going through the TSA search.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Like gas I ALWAYS carry half of my cash in my front pants pocket and my wif carrys her half in her pocketbook. I too hold it in my hand when going through the TSA search.

You carry gas in your front pocket???????????? I keep my gas between my two back pockets

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats a beauty....

made it just under the wire for the Oscars -- sorry, Dunce of the Year post

It'll be close this year..... I hate losing :devious:

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
**** Quick update for future reference

-My cousin had 8,200 in cash and no one stopped him or anything. So much for those conspiracy theories about the new 100 USD being produced to trace people.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
**** Quick update for future reference

-My cousin had 8,200 in cash and no one stopped him or anything. So much for those conspiracy theories about the new 100 USD being produced to trace people.
But did they make a note on his passport record in the computer?
If they're spying on you, they're NOT going to tell you.

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
But did they make a note on his passport record in the computer?
If they're spying on you, they're NOT going to tell you.

Nope. I know if they are spying on him they won't tell. My point is, he didn't get stopped or was asked any questions on why he had that much money.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Just a note regarding the $10,000 limit without declaration. This is the PARTY TRAVELING TOGETHER LIMIT eg husband and wife would only be allowed $5,000 each.