Traveling with cash

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Yea, it is not a big deal at all. I came through Santiago a few months ago with more then that, in my wallet. No problem at all. If you were talking about $15,000 maybe, but $1,500 is walking around money for a weeks vacation.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I do not understand why this is a problem. Put the money in your pocket and come down. They expect you to carry at least that amount. I guarantee you, that each person/family is carrying amounts that you are talking about.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Keep it on your person. If you have time go back to the bank and get bigger bills. If you are bringing cash for vacation than you are not smart. You can use a debit card to access an ATM and it is much safer.

LTSTeve

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I guess for some people 1500 bucks is a big deal. As stated for a vacation it is not all that much. I have spent half that much on a good night, dinner dancing drinks and then who knows what else. Enjoy your vacation

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Keep it on your person. If you have time go back to the bank and get bigger bills. If you are bringing cash for vacation than you are not smart. You can use a debit card to access an ATM and it is much safer.

LTSTeve

Bored @ JFK.

Calling someone not smart without knowing the circumstances is stooopid. The judgmentality (tm gas) of your assertion doesn't merit an explanation of why I need to use cash vs an ATM.

As for my paranoia, I agree now that it was unfounded. TSA told me to empty my pocket because of the bulge and it was not an issue.

They need a gym at JFK. Or a massage parlor.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
10 and less is legit.....

I have done 9.

If robbery is your concern , anything over 100 can be a target.
If the law is your concern, $10k is the stated limit

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
My concern isn't robbery, my concern is it being confiscated by TSA for thinking it's drug money. How long ago was it when you did 9,000 ?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
When ever i travel I have one of those wallet looking things ( small) and one either goes around my neck, and or other when used is similar but is like gun holster positioned just under armpit under clothing . when I take it off ,I put in a zipped secure as possible and once through metal detector , i assume the position as close to the machine as convenient .So far so good the money and passport holder combination high up on the body ,gives u also less likely of it being pick pocketed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My concern isn't robbery, my concern is it being confiscated by TSA for thinking it's drug money. How long ago was it when you did 9,000 ?

Last year or so.... I do a few thousand regularly..

I don't declare it, b/c it's below the 10 level.

If that is your concern, just carry o copy of your bank statement to verify where the funds come form.
Proving the source is what the authorities want to see..... if they discover your 'stash'.

Not usually a problem..... I don't recall anybody posting here that they were questioned or harassed about carrying cash.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Bored @ JFK.

Calling someone not smart without knowing the circumstances is stooopid. The judgmentality (tm gas) of your assertion doesn't merit an explanation of why I need to use cash vs an ATM.

As for my paranoia, I agree now that it was unfounded. TSA told me to empty my pocket because of the bulge and it was not an issue.

They need a gym at JFK. Or a massage parlor.

Is that $1500 in $20 bills in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

dropshort

May 18, 2008
US Currency is .0043 inches thick that means that 100 bills is .43 inches thick.

A traveler must declare that they are carrying $10,000 US or more so $9,999 is the limit if that is your view.
There is actually no limit to the amount you are carrying as long as you report amounts of $10,000 US or more.
You can carry a trillion dollars as long as you can demonstrate where you got the money.

Cash in any currency and any thing freely negotiable counts $5000 cash and $6,000 in travelers check count and $11,000.

If you have $3,000 US cash and a check in someone?s or a company name for $15,000 means that you only have $3000 for purposes of the requirement to declare.
Entering Canada it is $10,000CA. The exchange rate used for foreign currency is the noon fixing by the Bank of Canada for yesterday. (On Monday the Friday NOON fixing used. If yesterday was a holiday then the previous fixing is used. In RD it is $10,000US

If you are trying to follow the rules, you have to understand the rules.

To answer the original question, I use a money belt.

DS

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
WOW a whopping $1500 bucks:squareeye..All you have to do is hold it in your closed hand when walking through security check..You can not have anything in your pockets when going through the x-ray thingys..

Mountaintrout

Feb 9, 2013
WOW a whopping $1500 bucks:squareeye..All you have to do is hold it in your closed hand when walking through security check..You can not have anything in your pockets when going through the x-ray thingys..

Exactly, large bills in your hand. I have gone through with several thousand dollars A few times and never been questioned.

Mountaintrout

Feb 9, 2013

Exactly, large bills in your hand. I have gone through with several thousand dollars A few times and never been questioned.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Isn't it amazing how fast laws can become obsolete? One can have millions in a US bank accessable by debit card and don't need to declare it.
Der Fish

You have millions in a US bank and you live here....whats wrong with that picture...;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The biggest problem with having "millions" of dollars in US banks, is that the US Government, and ALL it's agencies,KNOW you have it!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The biggest problem with having "millions" of dollars in US banks, is that the US Government, and ALL it's agencies,KNOW you have it!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC