Trouble on the beach in Sosua?

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Yeah, even after the cop shot the guy, the others keep crowding him and even pushing him instead of getting the hell out of there.

No sense of self preservation at all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, even after the cop shot the guy, the others keep crowding him and even pushing him instead of getting the hell out of there.

No sense of self preservation at all.

i have said this many times, and i will maintain it forever...the rank and file guy here does not have the ability to ask..what if? nobody asks themselves what if the gun goes off by accident. what if some nut job tries to grab it and it accidentally discharges? what if a group bum rushes the cop, and he goes nuts? it is just like the guys who drive at bird speeed around a bend, without the ability to ask...what if there is something broken down on the other side?

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
The police officer was overwhelmed by an angry intoxicated crowd. He responded the only way he was trained. As stated , there is little to no respect for police. My guess is that the officer will be back working in Sosua next week, because he didn't shoot a tourist. Not every Officer or person responds to stress the same way, especially with out training. I don't care where you are from if you get into a shouting and machismo contest with a policeman you are going to lose.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
First and foremost, shooting is incorrectly viewed by many as a legitimate dispute resolution mechanism. Nonexistent training on how to keep interactions from escalating coupled with a glaring absence of non-lethal options all but ensures a shooting at the instant a cop feels he is in a situation that he can no longer control, either due to noncompliance or when within a crowd of people that is closing in.

In the video, the number of people who are still within a threatening distance of the cop after the shot was fired and the number of those bystanders who proceeded to run around in anger were just tempting fate. Luckily nothing else happened. Shooting someone in the foot, is a novel approach through. I wonder if as is usually the case this cop was aiming somewhere else (like the sand) and ended up actually hitting a person. It might be possible this cop only intended a show of force but because he put his finger on the trigger, he was but a twitch and a 1/2 inch away from firing.

Cops are unpredictable here, one needs to be careful around them even if you are not directly involved in an interaction. They can go from apathetic to full on cowboy really quickly and they are terrible shots at anything more than 10 feet away. By enlarge they don't aim and have no idea what a correct sight picture looks like.

It is truly remarkable that nothing else happened. Truly.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
When combined, the accumulated IQ of those on the beach sums 78.
Failed nation- just look at how people interact. Its amazing any tourism exists at all.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
First and foremost, shooting is incorrectly viewed by many as a legitimate dispute resolution mechanism. Nonexistent training on how to keep interactions from escalating coupled with a glaring absence of non-lethal options all but ensures a shooting at the instant a cop feels he is in a situation that he can no longer control, either due to noncompliance or when within a crowd of people that is closing in.

In the video, the number of people who are still within a threatening distance of the cop after the shot was fired and the number of those bystanders who proceeded to run around in anger were just tempting fate. Luckily nothing else happened. Shooting someone in the foot, is a novel approach through. I wonder if as is usually the case this cop was aiming somewhere else (like the sand) and ended up actually hitting a person. It might be possible this cop only intended a show of force but because he put his finger on the trigger, he was but a twitch and a 1/2 inch away from firing.

Cops are unpredictable here, one needs to be careful around them even if you are not directly involved in an interaction. They can go from apathetic to full on cowboy really quickly and they are terrible shots at anything more than 10 feet away. By enlarge they don't aim and have no idea what a correct sight picture looks like.

This right here .. cosign..

but i dont think he was aiming for his foot .. he even made a downward motion with his hand AS he pulled the trigger .
Almost impossible to make that shot, unless you are really good ,..which he might be , but that was a dead center foot shot.
Pretty impressive if it was done on purpose .. the sand was probably his target though , but he did not flinch because he hit him either .
Its all about their Machismo with these Cops ,and the Tigueres ... Cops do NOT hesitate to shoot them
If you have been in the DR long enough you WILL see a cop gun down one of the local Tigueres , its a certainly. I have only seen one gunned down, well actually heard it , and then looked and the guy was dead as a doornail .Its quite startling to us Visitors , but its THEIR way.. Notice the other people did not even panic .They are so used to gunfire they dont even scatter .
They know who the cop will shoot and who he wont .. the odd thing is another person Waving a gun in the air , esp a woman will NOT get shot, but this Tiguere who probably insulted the cop and taunted him, he got to taste one ..That was just a taste , if that cop wanted to really hurt him he would have shot him much higher and done some real damage .
Its their way, only this time it was on full display on a Beach with Tourists also present ..

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I love the way they pick the guy up like he was a chicken fresh from the market. Probably tossed him in the back of a pick up like a cooler of fresh caught fish. I pray that id ever I fall off my bike, the first responders are not locals. My road rash and broken wrist will end up being a broken back and a dislocated shoulder.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I love the way they pick the guy up like he was a chicken fresh from the market. Probably tossed him in the back of a pick up like a cooler of fresh caught fish. I pray that id ever I fall off my bike, the first responders are not locals. My road rash and broken wrist will end up being a broken back and a dislocated shoulder.

and a really bad infection or 2 , requiring copious quantities of Antibiotics //

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I don't think the cop intended to fire ..I think he squeezed one off accidentally rest is history...

The video does not support an accidental discharge , at all... look more closely...its almost like something you see in the movies with that hand gesture .

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Random incident proves nothing. Sosua police need better training in crowd control. You cannot change publics lack of respect for authority. A canine unit on duty for weekends would stop this kind of an incident from escalating.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm betting the kid said something to the cop like insulting his mother or calling him some sort of profanity and the cop reacted.

I've seen folks here go berserk for some of the stupidest things.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic

you say that now................wait til it happens, you might just be lucky and bleed out on the side of the road.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
apparently bunch of drunk kids tried to steal one of the beach boats............cops came and tried to take someone away.......crowd trying to prevent this...............looks like cop just wanted to shoot floor, but hit the kid. As others have said, its kinda normal procedure.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
apparently bunch of drunk kids tried to steal one of the beach boats............cops came and tried to take someone away.......crowd trying to prevent this...............looks like cop just wanted to shoot floor, but hit the kid. As others have said, its kinda normal procedure.

Yes I think the downward motion while firing was to make a point, firing in the sand in order to get control of the suspect and the crowd - and hit the guys foot by accident.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

dave Tuna .. How you doin man , .. u need to post MORE here Bud///

Feb 7, 2007

Yeah, lucky Dr. Dao that he was flying from Chicago to Kansas* ... Imagine if he was flying out of POP or some other DR airport. He was lucky the only got beaten up over there, down here he might have got shot.

(*well was not Kansas but does not matter for the purposes of this post)

Last edited: