Understanding the Dominican Mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
This sort of thing happens to Dominicans too. Case in point:
After a month or so, no batteries returned, Mr. AE called him, angry about the time that had passed, and he let him have it over the phone. Well, his feelings were hurt because he got yelled at. He stopped answering the phone, didn't answer Facebook messages, etc. Sent someone to the house with 3 of the batteries, which were not working. These batteries were about 3 months old - we're pretty sure that he kept our 4 batteries and sent back 3 dead old ones from god-knows-where. So we bit the bullet and bought 4 new batteries from La Sirena, and traded in the 3 dead ones. [This time we had the cousin make a mark on the new batteries, so if this ever happens again we'll know we got back our own batteries]
A lot of Dominicans have that same mentality - they don't think about consequences, or tomorrow.

I'm told that "face" is important too, and what probably happened is in being yelled at, he felt he was disrespected. His bad for not finishing the job, but damned if you're gonna call him on it.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Well, it is YOU (and noone else) who needs to come up with proof of your claim.
{Why do you not quote any of those 'plenty threads'?}

And you won't be able to. :lick:
Your statement is absurd, dv8 cannot be of help either. :tired:

donP

Don't want to turn this into a back and forth - just in your previous comment you stated about killing the milking cow. Just be aware you are the milking cow to them, nothing more. And I've seen the milking cow run out of milk and it is not a pretty site. I think you know the situation over here and accept it. I didn't and had to make sense of it and started looking around. Many scam marriages and some quite lengthy, and the gringo completely destroyed. Some stories were second hand, and some first hand. I will say in my personal experiences none of these people had killed themselves, but were broke and could not afford tickets home and were basically stuck in some really horrible situations. Hopefully they will overcome, but I wouldn't be surprised if this ended in further tragedy. Maybe I read into the DR1 reports my own conclusions, so I'll take it back. I'll just say I've seen plenty of examples of the scam marriages just to remove all the milk from the cow and then leave them ruined.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Maybe 'un chin'

I'm told that "face" is important too, and what probably happened is in being yelled at, he felt he was disrespected. His bad for not finishing the job, but damned if you're gonna call him on it.

Being critizised (even for a total mess) is not accepted here (and neither in other cultures).
Even thieves want to be respected and will find a reason to tell you why.... :rolleyes:

I think for such situations they have created words like "un chin" and " e' no e' na' ". :)

donP

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
DR1.
you can ask DV8.
Dude you're in trouuuuuuuuuuble. Just ignore this thread, plenty of other ones with examples of this. But no worries you have their respect and clearly know how things are around you. May find this hard to believe but a couple of years ago I thought like you.

Personally, I find your statements a bit strong and while they might contain some truth (and I've seen plenty of examples myself) I find they are not applicable to the majority or even many of the Dominicans that I associate with. The type of people that I associate with are not without fault, but I believe not moreso than those in other countries.

Many of those that exhibit the behavior you refer too are very easily identified, by putting out a simple floater as a test. That is something that one should always do btw.

I like DV8 well enough, but she will not support your claims.

Aug 6, 2006
Great points. I'm not saying it is easy for Dominicans and they can just change, but when something is societal you almost have to accept it or leave. It is important to understand it, but not a good idea to try and change it, or think the rules don't apply to you. These slight differences in priorities can really make drastic differences in the society that is created.
===========================================================
Having lived for several years in Mexico and traveled around Latin America, and lived in a place with a lot of different cultures (Miami), I note that most people make special allowances for those that are not of their culture. So it can be useful to say to a prospective worker than you admit you do not know their customs, but in your country, people are paid on the 15th and the 30th of each month for work done during that month, but you will offer to pay when the job is done to your satisfaction. If there are materials, you will pay for them and have them delivered.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Being critizised (even for a total mess) is not accepted here (and neither in other cultures).
Even thieves want to be respected and will find a reason to tell you why.... :rolleyes:

I think for such situations they have created words like "un chin" and " e' no e' na' ". :)

donP

Personal accountability is losing ground everywhere, alas.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
First of all, in the DR, YOU are in charge of protecting YOURSELF. No one else carries the burden of protecting you. If you don't , then you're considered a fool and the other person was totally right for screwing you, thus they can brag on how the scammed you.

You guys really think that because you're gringos, you deserve better consideration? Think again, you're just another fool who paid the whole job in advance. You're not " the hand that feeds them", or "the goose of the golden eggs", it only means you have more money, so when they trick you, it'll hurt you less.

Learn to protect yourself: Do not work with people who won't tell you how much it is in advance, do not pay the whole stuff in advance, do not become best friends with your cleaning lady, secretary,etc.
If at the end of the job the person wants to charge you more than what was initially agreed, do not pay the increased difference. Tell them that you're sorry but that you don't have more money, and remind them that it was them who had fixed that price.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
First of all, in the DR, YOU are in charge of protecting YOURSELF. No one else carries the burden of protecting you. If you don't , then you're considered a fool and the other person was totally right for screwing you, thus they can brag on how the scammed you.

You guys really think that because you're gringos, you deserve better consideration? Think again, you're just another fool who paid the whole job in advance. You're not " the hand that feeds them", or "the goose of the golden eggs", it only means you have more money, so when they trick you, it'll hurt you less.

Learn to protect yourself: Do not work with people who won't tell you how much it is in advance, do not pay the whole stuff in advance, do not become best friends with your cleaning lady, secretary,etc.
If at the end of the job the person wants to charge you more than what was initially agreed, do not pay the increased difference. Tell them that you're sorry but that you don't have more money, and remind them that it was them who had fixed that price.

We know this, the thread is about why they are like this and act in manners that cost them more than makes them.
As you state Dominicans trick us and I guess it hurts us less (can't believe the DR has turned me into an us and them mentality, I hate tribalism), but what Dominicans can't understand is the gringo mentality is give people a chance and if someone screws you, for 15 pesos, or 500 or 1000 pesos, it is seen as a cost of doing business and we will simply not do business with you again. So it has really cost the other party more than you. So why can't Dominicans understand not to screw themselves over with these tactics is the question at hand.
Now the higher amounts - we hold a grudge.
A lot of people bash Christopher Columbus as genocidal these days. I think he was just charged the gringo price one too many times and just snapped.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
A lot of people bash Christopher Columbus as genocidal these days. I think he was just charged the gringo price one too many times and just snapped.

OMG! Why do gringos always justify "snapping "? Is mass murdering all you guys think of?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
The country has Beis-ball as a national sport, I find the second national sport to be 'trying to screw the guy in front of you' (gringo or not)... Saving Face also seems to be very important, god forbid you 'SCOLD' someone in the presence of others as you then become hated (briefly) as the worst person in the world.

But... Why can't they just once say... " I'm sorry... I'm sorry I broke it, I'm sorry I forgot, I sorry I didn't check the cistern, I'm sorry I left the house unattended, I'm sorry your dog dissipated ?, I sorry I took the jeepeta, etc.. etc....

Saying I'm sorry would soften so much of the head banging one does on a daily basis while living here.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
OMG! Why do gringos always justify "snapping "? Is mass murdering all you guys think of?

In your last post you stated "then you're considered a fool and the other person was totally right for screwing you, ".
I guess you're trying to get the moral high ground, but you have no morality. It is never right to screw someone over. Our mentalities are different and don't try to be part of a philosophical discussion. You need to know the difference between the words why and what, and that is over your head.

donP

Dec 14, 2008

Tranquila.
In the end it's all the same.

Dominicans snap every once a while, killing someone in a traffic feud, their wives, novias and ex-girlfriends, a friend for a 150 Peso debt, the disco rival in some gallo-rage, etc....
Usually not going to prison for long.

The gringo snaps once in a life time (then in jail for ever) killing 21 in a mall/school shooting...

Who is to judge which is the 'better snapping'....? :cheeky:

donP

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
In your last post you stated "then you're considered a fool and the other person was totally right for screwing you, ".
I guess you're trying to get the moral high ground, but you have no morality. It is never right to screw someone over. Our mentalities are different and don't try to be part of a philosophical discussion. You need to know the difference between the words why and what, and that is over your head.
Look who's talking about morality. You're the one trying to justify mass murdering, for God's sake!!! You are just one of those posters who asks why something happens but you don't really want to listen .

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why say sorry?

...Why can't they just once say... " I'm sorry... I'm sorry I broke it, I'm sorry I forgot, I sorry I didn't check the cistern, I'm sorry I left the house unattended, I'm sorry your dog dissipated ?, I sorry....

Well, I guess they actually could say it. ;)

But why on earth ought they say sorry, if they do not give a **** about it anyhow, huh? :bunny:

donP

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Tranquila.
In the end it's all the same.

Dominicans snap every once a while, killing someone in a traffic feud, their wives, novias and ex-girlfriends, a friend for a 150 Peso debt, the disco rival in some gallo-rage, etc....
Usually not going to prison for long.

The gringo snaps once in a life time (then in jail for ever) killing 21 in a mall/school shooting...

Who is to judge which is the 'better snapping'....? :cheeky:

donP

And gringos think snapping is totally justified. Ooh please don't snap at me! Easy, easy !

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Look who's talking about morality. You're the one trying to justify mass murdering, for God's sake!!! You are just one of those posters who asks why something happens but you don't really want to listen .

So you really believe that I believe Columbus was charged the gringo price and snapped???
I can't believe I had conversations with these people. I think your statement was a little more sincere than mine, but this is all over your head.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No tengas miedo!

And gringos think snapping is totally justified. Ooh please don't snap at me! Easy, easy !

Although I am a (German) 'gringo' I do not justify 'snapping'. In fact I do not really know what that is... :classic: :bunny:

Maybe because we do not own and carry guns like in the gun crazy US. :cheeky:

Entonces, you have nothing to fear from me. :bunny:

donP

Status
Not open for further replies.