Understanding the Dominican Mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess I went over you pompous head

since it appears to have, then please enlighten me. do you believe that people who do the right thing by others do not get rooked? sorry to burst your bubble. i can write books about guys who have come here, treated locals with great respect and deference, only to have the recipients of kindnesses crap all over them. furthermore, this happens the world over. there is no guarantee that people who do the right thing will have it done to them in return. that is a myth which does not stand up to scrutiny.

Last edited:

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
since it appears to have, then please enlighten me. do you believe that people who do the tight thing by others do not get rooked? sorry to burst your bubble. i can write books about guys who have come here, treated locals with great respect and deference, only to have the recipients of kindnesses crap all over them. furthermore, this happens the world over. there is no guarantee that people who do the right thing will have it done to them in return. that is a myth which does not stand up to scrutiny.

Glad I don't live on your world

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
since it appears to have, then please enlighten me. do you believe that people who do the tight thing by others do not get rooked? sorry to burst your bubble. i can write books about guys who have come here, treated locals with great respect and deference, only to have the recipients of kindnesses crap all over them. furthermore, this happens the world over. there is no guarantee that people who do the right thing will have it done to them in return. that is a myth which does not stand up to scrutiny.
Thats my problem with this site. Way too many jaded miserable people posting their crap

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thats my problem with this site. Way too many jaded miserable people posting their crap

and you call me pompous? you see things one way, i see them another, and your approach is to start up with the ad hominems and vitriol. i never at one moment attempted to insult you, but you have gone on a full blown rant.

remember your bromide; you get what you give. maybe you should measure that against the way you elect to be abrasive to other people.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
and you call me pompous? you see things one way, i see them another, and your approach is to start up with the ad hominems and vitriol. i never at one moment attempted to insult you, but you have gone on a full blown rant.

remember your bromide; you get what you give. maybe you should measure that against the way you elect to be abrasive to other people.
I call it the way i see it. Take it or leave it.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Decided to start a thread out of this, a reply on another thread.
Many state that there is no logic in the RD, but I believe there is logic in what Dominicans do and after I understood this, I understood much of the actions committed by Dominicans. I have actually brought up my theory to Dominicans and they have all verified that it is the way they think. Very simply, Dominicans do not believe in win-win situations. They believe there must be a winner and a loser in every interaction, be it a business transaction or personal relationship (BTW, it is best not to differentiate the 2 as personal relationships especially with the opposite sex are usually seen as business deals, and Dominican business deals which mean making sure you are the loser).
If you wonder why a worker will rip you off 500 pesos one week and not do the work, forcing you to fire them, rather than earning maybe 500 pesos a week for years to come for just doing work that they have plenty of time to do and are capable of doing, this is why. If they are up 500 pesos, and you are out 500 pesos without the work being done, then they are clearly the winner and you are the loser. If they did the work and saw you were happy, they would think that they were the loser since you were acting like the winner and happy. No sense of value for value, everything is a winner and a loser. When I tried to explain that there could be win-win situations, Dominicans (and supposedly business minded Dominicans - I know that is impossible) would explain to me that by definition there cannot be 2 winners. I said what if we both made money, wouldn't that make it a win-win, and got a response of "sure you make a million and the other makes 1000 pesos".
People describe portions of this in different ways, like it is a sport for Dominicans to rip you off, or complaining that their logic does not make any sense, but if you understand that the viewpoint is just to make sure that you are a loser in the interaction and hence they would be the winner, things actually do start to make sense and there is logic behind the actions. As long as you are miserable at the end of the interaction, they feel rewarded as they won.
Now is this truly the stress free environment one first thinks it is? I found that it became very stressful as nothing would get done and you could never plan on anything getting done in any time-frame. So I guess you have to choose whether to become totally useless and not get anything done and accept it with a smile on your face - and have the great attitude of this productive society - or not and be stressed out and annoyed. If it is the latter, than it is time to leave. If it is the former, than you probably can't make it anywhere else anyway, and you fit in.

There is a degree of truth to what you're saying. Dominicans, by and large, seem pretty much like a win/lose people. But I've been living here for over two years and I feel like a winner. Things just seem to get better. I haven't been on DR1 much because I'm making more money these days, so I don't have as much time. I've had a few win/win situations with Dominicans, you just have to stand your ground. If a deal is not to my liking I walk away.

Remember you are the foreigner. You have the advantage, especially with the opposite sex. There are more Dominican women here than foreign men. If some chick wants to put you in a situation where she will win and you will lose, walk away and find a better deal. Same goes for other people. For complex transactions I deal with other foreigners and I only deal with Dominicans for basic things (like buying bread). As far as hiring Dominicans, why bother? There is an expat community here, hire them if you need physical work done and if you do Internet stuff like me outsource jobs to other countries where people are reliable.

By the way, not all Dominicans are unreliable. The apartment maintenance guy that works where I live is super reliable. He is so trustworthy that although my landlord is European, I pay my rent to the Dominican guy and he then gives it to the landlord. If I need him to buy something for me from the Colmado and I accidentally give him too much money he gives me back the spare change. I leave money sitting out and the Dominican lady that comes and cleans each week has never touched it. You just have to vet Dominicans to see who can be trusted and who can't be.

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
my lady cleaner used to try and borrow (get an advance) and then i realized she is lazy....of course i kept her as it is e z er to keep her...but no more advances....she used to take home my shirts for pressing...not a big deal in a bag going home and she got a ride here...then a pattern ....unless i was ready with the shirts and the hangers...she would leave them....
u canot advance money to people who dont have any...sorry....

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I am trying to get into the philosophy of the mentality and why this occurs. Why lose a customer over 15 pesos. It is because they want the win and you to lose. It fits.

For those so integrated into society and thinking that there are more consequences cheating them than a gringo on his own.... if you only knew how much they screwed each other over - and they don't seem to care about those consequences.

Someone I knew died and I went to the velorio. It was at the family house in a humble neighborhood in Santo Domingo. I arrived with mutual friends before the body arrived. When the casket was brought in it was set up in the front room.

I noticed that there were no small possesions anywhere and that several rooms were padlocked. I asked a friend what that was all about. It's so nobody can steal anything (at a velorio that includes friends, family, neighbors and wander ins).

I love this country. Qu? un pa?s de maravillas.

I'll say it again, for about the fifth time, two books that can help prepare you for life in the DR are Lewis Carrol's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

Living in the DR is a journey of observing what appears to make no sense whatsoever and occasionally uncovering the logic of it all... or some of it... or not. :cross-eye:dead::confused:

JABBERWOCKY

Lewis Carroll

(from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.
And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The dominican philosophy that strikes me the most is the lack of "grudge".
They can be at each others throats, real nasty, today. And tomorrow or the day after they are back on civil terms. I even see it in my wife.
As opposed to me........I'll hold a grudge as long as it is needed. I'll get back to you in a day, a month, a year...... I wont forget.

Is it a good thing ?? Or bad ?? Each is his own judge.

Have you heard about Irish Alzheimer's?

That's when you get old you forget everything except your grudges. :laugh:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
1070806-02-Shoot-Yourself-in-the-Foot.jpg

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Decided to start a thread out of this, a reply on another thread.
Many state that there is no logic in the RD, but I believe there is logic in what Dominicans do and after I understood this, I understood much of the actions committed by Dominicans. I have actually brought up my theory to Dominicans and they have all verified that it is the way they think. Very simply, Dominicans do not believe in win-win situations. They believe there must be a winner and a loser in every interaction, be it a business transaction or personal relationship (BTW, it is best not to differentiate the 2 as personal relationships especially with the opposite sex are usually seen as business deals, and Dominican business deals which mean making sure you are the loser).

This explains their philosophy while driving. It never ceases to amaze me how their never waning desire to never let anyone go first causes everyone to get where they are going later. At any intersection at any point, nobody will EVER wave another car to go ahead of them. They both enter intersection and jockey about for a minute or two and finally one guy wins and gets through first. If he would have just waved the other guy through, they both get through faster.

The other day in front of my apt there was a worse traffic jam than usual. Everyone trying to get to gymn or mall as usual but this time there was a dominican stand off. Two cars squeezed into a spot that neither could pass. It was literally 15 minutes of yelling, honking, alarms going off, idiots trying to "help" etc. All easily avoidable if one of them could swallow his damn pride and let the other guy "win". Instead we all lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.