Ventura killed in car crash.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
ridiculous, does a brain surgeon make ball player's money?

Ridiculous equation, does a Brain surgeon fill stadiums across the continent with millions of paying customers, T.V etc. stimulating more jobs and revenue than 1000 brain surgeons. Guess how many MLB players there are ?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ridiculous equation, does a Brain surgeon fill stadiums across the continent with millions of paying customers, T.V etc. stimulating more jobs and revenue than 1000 brain surgeons. Guess how many MLB players there are ?

IF the athletes got paid one tenth of what they now make they would still play ball (cause what else can they do?) and peeps would still go to the games. To me it is ridiculous the salary they make.

I feel bad the guy is no longer here but he ain't no different to me than if it was Fatuso from the barrio who got in an accident.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
IF the athletes got paid one tenth of what they now make they would still play ball (cause what else can they do?) and peeps would still go to the games. To me it is ridiculous the salary they make.

I feel bad the guy is no longer here but he ain't no different to me than if it was Fatuso from the barrio who got in an accident.

If they made only 10 percent what they make now the other 90 percent would just go to the team owners. They are worth what someone is willing to pay them. They produce a huge amount of money why should they not be entitled to it?

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

Check!! OK so your not a sports fan. The reason their pay is so high is literally a handful of people in the world can do what they do. Line up 15 million men and you might get 8 Clayton Kershaw's, le Bron James, Tom Brady's, Hank Aaron's.However a third of that 15 mill. has the mental aptitude to be a Doctor given the education. Of course a lot of the cash is marketing the pro sports product. Fact of the matter pro athletes are physical freaks of nature for being able to do what they do. They also must have the training, mind set and drive combined. Their skills are so very rare people flock to watch them.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ball players in all leagues have negotiated a % of team revenues as the payroll for the entire team, divided through individual negotiations.

As markryan posted, if their salaries went down the difference would go into the owner's pockets. It that preferable?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Check!! OK so your not a sports fan. The reason their pay is so high is literally a handful of people in the world can do what they do. Line up 15 million men and you might get 8 Clayton Kershaw's, le Bron James, Tom Brady's, Hank Aaron's.However a third of that 15 mill. has the mental aptitude to be a Doctor given the education. Of course a lot of the cash is marketing the pro sports product. Fact of the matter pro athletes are physical freaks of nature for being able to do what they do. They also must have the training, mind set and drive combined. Their skills are so very rare people flock to watch them.
Very true.

Go watch the film The Million Dollar Arm to see how rare such physical talent is.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Isn't that one of the curses of this twisted modern world we live in.  Why should a person who is particularly good at throwing, catching or hitting a small ball be rewarded and made into a multimillionaire?  To me it is obscene to watch a game of many team sports where the salaries of the combined team exceed the GDP of a small country.

And of course they all use their newly aquired wealth to come back home to their roots and revolutionise society............not.

That said I dont blame the players for accepting obscene salaries. Neither do I blame the clubs. Nor the federations.
I blame the sheeple for making the whole scam possible. Its purely and simply a crowd control policy.
And dont get me going on the beauty of the sport.
The beauty of a sport is actually doing/playing it.
Not sitting on an oversized backside stuffing ones self with hotdogs and beer........

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And of course they all use their newly aquired wealth to come back home to their roots and revolutionise society............not.

That said I dont blame the players for accepting obscene salaries. Neither do I blame the clubs. Nor the federations.
I blame the sheeple for making the whole scam possible. Its purely and simply a crowd control policy.
And dont get me going on the beauty of the sport.
The beauty of a sport is actually doing/playing it.
Not sitting on an oversized backside stuffing ones self with hotdogs and beer........
History shows humans will flock to watch freaks of nature perform unreal athletic tasks.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
But as the subject veers from the Topic let's not forget.
These men carried the hopes and dreams of so many people. This is not to be forgotten. I know that Ocscar's family is still in mourning. This will hurt a lot for a lot of people.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I know nothing about baseball, so I just knew him as THE Pelotero. Saw him a couple of times in LT (last time this past December) , he was a little controversial to say the least (but, he is like a God to young people in LT). He was trashed in a local newspaper in December for his actions/behaviour.

Sad, may he rest in Peace.

http://infosdiario.com/noticias/locales/4542-yordano-ventura,-un-mal-ejemplo-para-los-j%C3%B3venes-terrenero.html#.WIYoqlMrLmE
That was a very powerful article. Thanks for sharing.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That was a very powerful article. Thanks for sharing.

I am assuming you are being sarcastic.

It was just to show, that he was a young man who didn't always make the best decisions (who can blame them? These young players become rich, so suddenly), and he wasn't the role model that people assume he would be.

Nonetheless, it is still very sad. A mother lost her son stupidly and he leaves children and a wife behind.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I am assuming you are being sarcastic.

It was just to show, that he was a young man who didn't always make the best decisions (who can blame them? These young players become rich, so suddenly), and he wasn't the role model that people assume he would be.

Nonetheless, it is still very sad. A mother lost her son stupidly and he leaves children and a wife behind.

don't believe the reply was sarcastic, but was a very will written example of what happens when the poor suddenly becomes rich and likes to show it. Same often happens with lottery winners no matter where they are from. Got the money and have no idea how to put it to good use.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
don't believe the reply was sarcastic, but was a very will written example of what happens when the poor suddenly becomes rich and likes to show it. Same often happens with lottery winners no matter where they are from. Got the money and have no idea how to put it to good use.

Don't know why I misunderstood mobrouser :nervous:

It is probably worse, because of the adulation. You would think there was the second coming of Jesus when he was in LT.

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
sabathia.jpg

coffey.jpg

el-guapo.jpg

Now I don't claim to be knowledgable about baseball or even a fan.  To me it's quite a boring game, with occasional spurts of action.  The British equivalent of cricket, which I can't stand either.

But I fail to appreciate that the above pictured people could be labeled as athletes. Multimillionaires yes, but fit athletes no.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
sabathia.jpg

coffey.jpg

el-guapo.jpg

Now I don't claim to be knowledgable about baseball or even a fan.  To me it's quite a boring game, with occasional spurts of action.  The British equivalent of cricket, which I can't stand either.

But I fail to appreciate that the above pictured people could be labeled as athletes. Multimillionaires yes, but fit athletes no.

Try and hit their fastball then maybe you would understand. I guarantee you would not even see the ball.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Pro athletes are built for there position and sport. Those guys would look slim standing next to an offensive pro tackle. Look at a pro marathon runners build. A pro marathon runner can run 26 miles in a little over 2 hours. Literally un-human.Those guys weigh in around 140 and their lung capacity is 5 times of a normal man. A lot of pro athletes are in fact some of the most egotistical ,arrogant azz hols. But because there are so few who can do what they do its amazing to watch.RIP Yordano, thanks for the entertainment