Ventura killed in car crash.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One of my sisters was involved in a horrible auto accident last year in the DR and she was
robbed of her purse at the site.Yes, it does happen.

Not to go off topic here but the same thing happened to me (wallet and house keys)
in Santo Domingo fall of 2014.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would agree with you in general, but last March a young Dominican guy came around the corner on my side of the road, slammed on his binders and smashed right into me. As soon as he could get out of his car he hurried over to us, just climbing out of the ditch we were now it. He said it was all his fault, gave us his insurance information , cedula, and phone number and got our info. After he was towed away ( his car was totalled) he phone us twice to make sure or tow truck had arrived and then phoned us after he was finished at Casa de conductor. We read his report and he admitted on it that he was in a hurry, was speeding, and slid when he hit the brakes ( it was raining and he was going downhill). All this to say, not all Dominicans are the same.
"Binders?" :cheeky:

The same "binders" Mittens had full of womyn? ;)

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
One of my sisters was involved in a horrible auto accident last year in the DR and she was
robbed of her purse at the site.Yes, it does happen.

Yordano Ventura was 'robbed of World Series ring and cash' as he lay dying after car crash - as it's revealed his family's claim to his $20m fortune hinges on if he was drunk

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bbed-fatal-car-crash-scene.html#ixzz4WlU5VFdT
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Enjoyed watching him play, very intense player. A short exciting life ended probably with one cerveza too many. sad.

Yes very sad. These young guys from the DR who are in MLB think they are bullet proof. Not many details have been released as to what actually happened but it was 4:30am and he was in the car by himself. We can probably figure out the rest. It's not the DR roads that are dangerous. It is the person behind the wheel. He was laid to rest in Las Terrenas. Many MLB ball players were there including, David Ortiz, Pedro Martinez and Robinson Cano.
This should be a wake up call but sadly very little will change in the DR.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Unfortunately, again, this is not a new phenomenon. From the pages of the newspaper Hoy, on Monday January 23rd, there have been 10 baseball players killed here in the DR in auto accidents:
Ramon Lora...10-11-85
William Suero...11-30-95
Jose Oliva...12-22-95
Rufino Linares...05-16-98
Andy Araujo...2000
Andujar Cedeno...10-28-03
Jose Uribe...12-08-06
Oscar Taveras...10-26-14
and now,
Andy Marte & Yordano Ventura...01-22-17
This list is of those players that had MLB experience, as well as playing here in the Dominican League. The list expands greatly if you add on players who have been signed and participate in the MLB rookie baseball camps here. Of these, there have been four in this past year alone, but they receive much less international press.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
The ballplayers are getting the attention, but there is a larger problem here, and I'll let you guys argue it out as to causes/solutions, but over the weekend, there was a total of 8 vehicle related deaths. In Bani, there have been 15 deaths in the first 23 days of this year. Serious problems.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
my friend and i went to the capital on Thursday. i observed the driving, and  the only thing i wondered was how the death rate on DR highways is so low. it appears that nobody knows how to drive a car!! guys overtaking around corners, at the crest of hills, on the inside of traffic..in tunnels, for chrissakes!! .it boggles the mind.-

Exactly. Many in the DR have no driving skills. They learned by trial and error, mostly error. They were never taught any courtesy or restraint. When the right of way basically is whoever has the biggest vehicle then craziness on the highway will occur.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Exactly. Many in the DR have no driving skills. They learned by trial and error, mostly error. They were never taught any courtesy or restraint. When the right of way basically is whoever has the biggest vehicle then craziness on the highway will occur.

there are islands in the caribbean, like Jamaica and Barbados, which are drivers' cultures. from youth, everybody strives to be a good driver. it is in the cultural genetics. when i was growing up, i would get into hair raising road races, knowing that the guy whom i was up against would not do something insane and wreck both of us. in the DR, i would never take such a chance, because guys have zero skills.

driving is a composite of many moving parts, one of which is eye contact, or the ability to see the other driver. in the DR, that is not possible, because every mook is hidden behind some opaque tint on his windows.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Isn't that one of the curses of this twisted modern world we live in.  Why should a person who is particularly good at throwing, catching or hitting a small ball be rewarded and made into a multimillionaire?  To me it is obscene to watch a game of many team sports where the salaries of the combined team exceed the GDP of a small country.

Growing up in the USA, I am old enough to remember when professional sports athletes were paid a normal amount of money for PLAYING their sport.......they bought most of their own equipment....worked a job on the off season , because they had to. The owner of the Minnesota Twins baseball team in the 1960s, Calvin Griffen told his players, if you dont like your contract money, go drive a truck it pays the same. I played sports all the way from when I was small through University. ......I can tell you todays pro athletes have almost nothing in common with the fans that pay their contracts.......today I dont even watch pro sports....the sports system needs a overhaul.....when young men are multi millionaires over night they lose touch with reality, many times with bad results........Doc..........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Spent an tremendous amount of time in Barbados over my first 30 years of life. The driving culture there is not much different from the DR, at least for the locals. Have you ever noticed the bus drivers racing through the streets to see who will win the bet for the day to make their rout and get back to Bridgetown first. These guys take those buses around corners on what is essentially a one way street doing 80. Knuckle heads with tricked out muscle cars do the same irresponsible nonsense with drinking and driving that you see in the DR. Some of the drivers have the same immaturity and ignorance that you see in the DR. The population of Barbados is much much smaller than the DR but they unfortunately have their representative share of the same type of tragic accidents also, two victims of which I knew personally.

i agree that the guys do hair raising idiot stunts in Barbados, but the difference is that they can drive a car there. and, yes, guys are going to get killed in accidents, too. just like playing baseball is a cultural thing in DR, driving cars is the Barbados pastime..along with cricket.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Growing up in the USA, I am old enough to remember when professional sports athletes were paid a normal amount of money for PLAYING their sport.......they bought most of their own equipment....worked a job on the off season , because they had to. The owner of the Minnesota Twins baseball team in the 1960s, Calvin Griffen told his players, if you dont like your contract money, go drive a truck it pays the same. I played sports all the way from when I was small through University. ......I can tell you todays pro athletes have almost nothing in common with the fans that pay their contracts.......today I dont even watch pro sports....the sports system needs a overhaul.....when young men are multi millionaires over night they lose touch with reality, many times with bad results........Doc..........

absolutely spot on. when a guy who could barely find enough money to buy a platano suddenly commands 7 and 8 figures for hitting a ball with a stick, bad things can happen..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was one who played when there was not a lot of money in pro sports unless you were a superstar. My largest contract was $26,000 in '76. I had a lockermate, an 8-year veteran OL, who was making $65,000.

Back then everyone had an off season job. I worked in a park in St. Petersburg. My lockermate was learning the carpet trade in St. Louis (as a side note, he was like Bubba Blue in Forrest Gump, except for carpet. I can't recall a conversation that didn't have carpet sneak in...)

But at the same time player payroll was like 12% of team revenues, and the players union had an owners flunky as the head. Now players are more fairly compensated as a % of team revenues, around 47-48.5%.

The WFL attempted to change this in '75 by having contracts with a minimum plus a % of gate receipts. Unfortunately, the gate was poor, and guys played for the minimum (unless a superstar.)

It's not just young athletes making stupid money. The same happens in music, Hollywood and other areas.

If folks don't like athletes, musicians or actors making all that money and acting the fool, just refuse to watch or listen to them.