Ventura killed in car crash.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I disagree.  Someone in the US has a few beers too many and decides to drive home.  He knows the risks.  He knows it's illegal and he knows there's a cop on every street corner who could pull him over at any instant, then bam!  He loses his license and very probably loses his livelihood.

Not so in the DR.  Road cops (AMET) don't work nights, don't have equipment to test drunk drivers and frankly are not motivated enough to enforce the law.  Drivers can literally get away with murder in this country.

Sad but true.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
In the end everyone makes their own decisions. In the case of Marte his friends were said to have argued with him about driving since he had been drinking. Maybe it is a pride thing thinking your good to drive. Many (not all) of these athletes come back to the DR and thrive on the attention. Drinking, driving crazy, party after party, etc.... As many have said most grew up with little so this is their time to "show off". Their so called friends/hanger ons encourage the behavior. While this is very sad and tragic, there are many more still doing the same thing. If anything I do hope this is a wake- up call for many. One bad decision and everything can be gone in an instant.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
And I can add that even their families remain silent when they witness this behavior. Their son is taking care of them and providing for them so while they see that this behavior is wrong/dangerous they say nothing. Now I am sure that some of the families have tried to set an example and speak up. But when your living in a brand new house, driving a new car, traveling to the US, all courtesy of your ball player son many choose to be silent.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am assuming you are being sarcastic.

It was just to show, that he was a young man who didn't always make the best decisions (who can blame them? These young players become rich, so suddenly), and he wasn't the role model that people assume he would be.

Nonetheless, it is still very sad. A mother lost her son stupidly and he leaves children and a wife behind.

I watched a documentary on Strawberry and Gooden on Friday that was quite interesting on how they got into the drugs and alcohol abuse. Not much different than this young Dominican guy. Unfortunately they aren't trained to handled fame and money.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I watched a documentary on Strawberry and Gooden on Friday that was quite interesting on how they got into the drugs and alcohol abuse. Not much different than this young Dominican guy. Unfortunately they aren't trained to handled fame and money.
True.

A couple of years ago we got a great private tour of the Rays Dominican baseball academy. I posted a bunch of pictures from it.

We got to meet and chat with a guy, a Venezuelan psychologist PhD whose whole job it was to help these young guys adapt to a new culture and all that money. Some of the stories he told were sad, tragic...and funny. He said it was a constant losing battle with these kids. They go to the states with a pile of dough, and hit up on some 14 y.o. girl like he did in the barrio and can't understand why everyone is so angry.

Their academy actually had courses in how to live a life with indoor plumbing and basic sanitation.

It's not just the money. It's the culture.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
US sports does in fact make every effort to keep their athletes from self destructive behavior. Think about it. These super stars are the lifeblood of major league sports and its in the clubs interest to keep their stars healthy and out of the newspapers. Major sports leagues counsel and educate their athletes on behavior, managing their incomes and avoiding drugs and alcohol. You just cannot save some people from themselves. Just think of the large numbers of movie stars, athletes, and rock stars who cannot handle sudden success and money. No accounting for human nature and self destructive behavior. From James Dean to Paul Walker in Porsches it has gone on for ages. There is something fascinating about our heroes sudden meaningless deaths. And it will continue.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
US sports does in fact make every effort to keep their athletes from self destructive behavior. Think about it. These super stars are the lifeblood of major league sports and its in the clubs interest to keep their stars healthy and out of the newspapers. Major sports leagues counsel and educate their athletes on behavior, managing their incomes and avoiding drugs and alcohol. You just cannot save some people from themselves. Just think of the large numbers of movie stars, athletes, and rock stars who cannot handle sudden success and money. No accounting for human nature and self destructive behavior. From James Dean to Paul Walker in Porsches it has gone on for ages. There is something fascinating about our heroes sudden meaningless deaths. And it will continue.
Bingo, word, right on, exactamundo.

It's now been 43 years and certainly pro sports have evolved massively, but even then the league back in The Day had seminars with mandatory attendance which tried to give insights into what young guys were about to experience and how to avoid the open man holes.

Today, a fundamental component for league agent approval is exactly such counseling on an ongoing basis for his clients, as well as professional money management.

But still, good judgement falls through cracks.

When it happens to someone else it's sad. When it happens to your family it's a tragedy...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
There is an unconfirmed report that Yordano Ventura was robbed after the accident (his world series ring is missing) and may have been alive after the crash. :mad:

I hope it is not true.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article128379504.html

Pedro Martinez (on twitter)
Ojalá se levante una investigación, pues si existen evidencias puntuales de esto, sentiría mucha vergüenza ajena por mi país.

One of my sisters was involved in a horrible auto accident last year in the DR and she was
robbed of her purse at the site.Yes, it does happen.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Bingo, word, right on, exactamundo.

It's now been 43 years and certainly pro sports have evolved massively, but even then the league back in The Day had seminars with mandatory attendance which tried to give insights into what young guys were about to experience and how to avoid the open man holes.

Today, a fundamental component for league agent approval is exactly such counseling on an ongoing basis for his clients, as well as professional money management.

But still, good judgement falls through cracks.

When it happens to someone else it's sad. When it happens to your family it's a tragedy...

While I don't disagree that some athletes make bad choices, this particular instance was about drunk driving. It happens. Every night, the local lockups in and around Atlanta start to fill up with dudes who still think having one (or five) "for the road" is a good idea. 

While his lapse in judgment was regrettable, it certainly isn't something remotely close to uncommon.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
While I don't disagree that some athletes make bad choices, this particular instance was about drunk driving. It happens. Every night, the local lockups in and around Atlanta start to fill up with dudes who still think having one (or five) "for the road" is a good idea. 

While his lapse in judgment was regrettable, it certainly isn't something remotely close to uncommon.

Good point. Guys have been killing themselves while drunk in high horsepower cars for decades. It just makes big news when it's a talented pro ball player instead of John who punches a time clock at a factory

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

No disagreement, but the average schleb out there doesn't have their employer and agent in their grill constantly about not being stupid.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
With 20 million dollars at stake I would venture to say that the autopsy will
show "no alcohol involved"...regardless, I enjoyed seeing him pitch and is
certainly a tragedy.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
You are spot on correct my friend. Has absolutely nothing to do with the person being Dominican or not.

Horrible tragedies, prayers for the families and loved ones.

IMHO it has Everything to do with him being Dominican.  Most dominicans are in state of Denial like they are about most things having to do with Being Responsible.  This is no joke!  

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
IMHO it has Everything to do with him being Dominican.  Most dominicans are in state of Denial like they are about most things having to do with Being Responsible.  This is no joke!  

I would agree with you in general, but last March a young Dominican guy came around the corner on my side of the road, slammed on his binders and smashed right into me. As soon as he could get out of his car he hurried over to us, just climbing out of the ditch we were now it. He said it was all his fault, gave us his insurance information , cedula, and phone number and got our info. After he was towed away ( his car was totalled) he phone us twice to make sure or tow truck had arrived and then phoned us after he was finished at Casa de conductor. We read his report and he admitted on it that he was in a hurry, was speeding, and slid when he hit the brakes ( it was raining and he was going downhill). All this to say, not all Dominicans are the same.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
These players from the time they sign constantly are given lectures, attend classes, etc...about drinking, lifestyle choices, etc... Part of the issue is the support system they have around them. Many (especially younger players) surround themselves with "yes" people. Those in the "inner circle" tend not to speak up when needed for fear of being put out of the "inner circle". Surely this was not the first time they have spent the evening drinking and then driving so in their mind it is all good (and this can apply to anyone). Again you can't force someone to use common sense, you can only hope.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would agree with you in general, but last March a young Dominican guy came around the corner on my side of the road, slammed on his binders and smashed right into me. As soon as he could get out of his car he hurried over to us, just climbing out of the ditch we were now it. He said it was all his fault, gave us his insurance information , cedula, and phone number and got our info. After he was towed away ( his car was totalled) he phone us twice to make sure or tow truck had arrived and then phoned us after he was finished at Casa de conductor. We read his report and he admitted on it that he was in a hurry, was speeding, and slid when he hit the brakes ( it was raining and he was going downhill). All this to say, not all Dominicans are the same.

One in a million?